g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Modern Draft Semifinals: Moby Vs. Enigma/TRV

Who will win this match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Enigma_87

You know who
I am not sure of the tactical change @Moby

Think Verrati brings a lot more guile from the right sided midfield role.. What is the logic of making him the deepest defensive midfielder?
I think it's mainly due to the criticism Saul had and he moved him as a DM, changing the whole gameplan making him a DLP. Not really a role he played for PSG either and he always had 2 defensively great players alongside him like Motta and Matuidi.

Again against James he's bound to get frustrated and his hot headedness at time can prove to be vital in that role for the game in hand.

Enigma_87

You know who
Brief summary of Asamoah's game:

Is Inter Milan’s Kwadwo Asamoah a left back or a midfielder?

Ghana’s Kwadwo Asamoah joined Inter Milan from Juventus on free transfer last month after spending six years heavily loaded with trophies with The Old Ladies.

His new manager Luciano Spalletti has so far deployed the former Asokwa Deportivo product in his favorite midfield position in three of the current pre-season matches of La Beneamata.

Those friendly games in question were the 3-3 draw against Zenit Petersburg on July 21, the 1-1 draw against Sheffield United on July 24 where Asamoah and Gagliardini were used as the number sixes and in Saturday’s 1-1 draw against Chelsea in the International Champions Cup in which the former Juventus man was played on the left attacking side of the 4-2-3-1 formation of Spalletti with Matteo Politano and Antonio Candreva joining him in a three-pronged attacking midfield behind striker Mauro Icardi.

The truth of the matter is in all these games Kwadwo has put on the number 18 Nerazzurri shirt he has not been bad and but he has not been overwhelming either.

He was however stationed at the left back role in Inter Milan’s 2-0 loss to Sion on July 18.

No it remains to be seen what Spalletti actually intends doing with the Ghanaian who recently announced he’s available for Black Stars selection after ending a personal international break.

Is Kwadwo Asamoah a left back or a midfielder?

I first all struggle to answer this question. A left back or a midfielder? Whilst Kwadwo Asamoah is a soccer player of many abilities, it was still this versatility that relegated him mostly to the bench in his last years at Juventus as his real position in the team was not certain – a left back or a midfielder? Don’t tell me he’s both because one cannot be two things at the same time. You can only be one, even for the most versatile player. This was the biggest problem he faced with the Old Ladies. At some point one was forced to believe that Asamoah was jack of all trades but not a master of any of the trades because he was not the first choice left back neither was he a starting first team midfielder and this was the basis of his bench-warming role at the club in his last years before moving out. In most of the times he’s started games it was either Sandro was ill or suspended or a midfield player was unavailable or the manager rotated his starting line-ups. His conversion to left back by Allegri does not even qualify as a proper conversion for me because he wasn’t playing.

In the 2014 World Cup it was true that Kwesi Appiah used him as a left back in all the three group games the Black Stars played against the USA, Germany and Portugal. But did that make Asamoah a left back? I don’t think so and if I I’ve seen the best of Asamoah in midfield, not at full back role.

At the Juve left back was Alex Sandro the regular position holder who made sure Asamoah played very little and in midfield the competition was realistically even more harder – Sami Khedira, Miralem Pjanic, Marchisio and Blaise Matuidi on top of that. It was difficult, very difficult.

Letting Spalletti know his best position

But after leaving Juve, the competition at Inter Milan is not as hard as that Kwadwo faced under Maxi Allegri’s team but the former Liberty Professional player still would have to convince his manager to select him ahead of the others. In doing this he must let his boss know what his best position is.

If he wishes to still be playing as a left back so be it, he must let the manager understand that and must fight towards winning that spot as number 1. If it is also his wish to go back to type like we all know, the Asamoah of long range goals from deep midfield like that against Mali, the play-making Asamoah, the Asamoah under Antonio Conte, the Udinese version of Asamoah, then he must communicate that to the coach. He must say this to the coach himself. Yes Spalletti obviously have watched the player and knows him even better on technical and tactical terms but that is not enough. There should be a frank man to man talk between the two.

This is pre-season and it is like the laboratory where tests are run and so regardless of what Asamoah may have discussed or being told by his new manager and club before joining them, this is the right time to make a big case. You do not need to be told in advance that this transfer will be a big failure should Asamoah continue to be warming the bench at Inter then it would have been better to remain on the Juve bench because you are almost guaranteed medals.

Aging

I know there are those who will question his age of 29 years. But 29 is not 39. He can still play the very top football and the fact that he joined Inter Milan a team in the Serie A emphasizes his degree of ambition. We’ve seen many players go to Asia and Americas at 29 or lesser but Asamoah thinks he has lot of football in him and wants to prove that in Europe.

Competition at Inter

Currently at Inter, at the left back position are the 24-year old Brazilian Dalbert Henrique and the full back Danilo D’Ambrosio. It is fair to say that both Dalbert and D’Ambrosio are not Alex Sandro and this is not to say that this role is reserved for him. He will have to fight for it.

In midfield comes the more bigger names. The likes of Gagliardini, Matias Vecino, Radja Nainggolan, Marcelo Brozovic. Big competition. While it is complicated, it is not impossible to break into this team.

Moby

Dick
Brief summary of Asamoah's game:

Ghana’s Kwadwo Asamoah joined Inter Milan from Juventus on free transfer last month after spending six years heavily loaded with trophies with The Old Ladies.

His new manager Luciano Spalletti has so far deployed the former Asokwa Deportivo product in his favorite midfield position in three of the current pre-season matches of La Beneamata.

Those friendly games in question were the 3-3 draw against Zenit Petersburg on July 21, the 1-1 draw against Sheffield United on July 24 where Asamoah and Gagliardini were used as the number sixes and in Saturday’s 1-1 draw against Chelsea in the International Champions Cup in which the former Juventus man was played on the left attacking side of the 4-2-3-1 formation of Spalletti with Matteo Politano and Antonio Candreva joining him in a three-pronged attacking midfield behind striker Mauro Icardi.

The truth of the matter is in all these games Kwadwo has put on the number 18 Nerazzurri shirt he has not been bad and but he has not been overwhelming either.

He was however stationed at the left back role in Inter Milan’s 2-0 loss to Sion on July 18.

No it remains to be seen what Spalletti actually intends doing with the Ghanaian who recently announced he’s available for Black Stars selection after ending a personal international break.

Is Kwadwo Asamoah a left back or a midfielder?

I first all struggle to answer this question. A left back or a midfielder? Whilst Kwadwo Asamoah is a soccer player of many abilities, it was still this versatility that relegated him mostly to the bench in his last years at Juventus as his real position in the team was not certain – a left back or a midfielder? Don’t tell me he’s both because one cannot be two things at the same time. You can only be one, even for the most versatile player. This was the biggest problem he faced with the Old Ladies. At some point one was forced to believe that Asamoah was jack of all trades but not a master of any of the trades because he was not the first choice left back neither was he a starting first team midfielder and this was the basis of his bench-warming role at the club in his last years before moving out. In most of the times he’s started games it was either Sandro was ill or suspended or a midfield player was unavailable or the manager rotated his starting line-ups. His conversion to left back by Allegri does not even qualify as a proper conversion for me because he wasn’t playing.

In the 2014 World Cup it was true that Kwesi Appiah used him as a left back in all the three group games the Black Stars played against the USA, Germany and Portugal. But did that make Asamoah a left back? I don’t think so and if I I’ve seen the best of Asamoah in midfield, not at full back role.

At the Juve left back was Alex Sandro the regular position holder who made sure Asamoah played very little and in midfield the competition was realistically even more harder – Sami Khedira, Miralem Pjanic, Marchisio and Blaise Matuidi on top of that. It was difficult, very difficult.

Letting Spalletti know his best position

But after leaving Juve, the competition at Inter Milan is not as hard as that Kwadwo faced under Maxi Allegri’s team but the former Liberty Professional player still would have to convince his manager to select him ahead of the others. In doing this he must let his boss know what his best position is.

If he wishes to still be playing as a left back so be it, he must let the manager understand that and must fight towards winning that spot as number 1. If it is also his wish to go back to type like we all know, the Asamoah of long range goals from deep midfield like that against Mali, the play-making Asamoah, the Asamoah under Antonio Conte, the Udinese version of Asamoah, then he must communicate that to the coach. He must say this to the coach himself. Yes Spalletti obviously have watched the player and knows him even better on technical and tactical terms but that is not enough. There should be a frank man to man talk between the two.

This is pre-season and it is like the laboratory where tests are run and so regardless of what Asamoah may have discussed or being told by his new manager and club before joining them, this is the right time to make a big case. You do not need to be told in advance that this transfer will be a big failure should Asamoah continue to be warming the bench at Inter then it would have been better to remain on the Juve bench because you are almost guaranteed medals.

Aging

I know there are those who will question his age of 29 years. But 29 is not 39. He can still play the very top football and the fact that he joined Inter Milan a team in the Serie A emphasizes his degree of ambition. We’ve seen many players go to Asia and Americas at 29 or lesser but Asamoah thinks he has lot of football in him and wants to prove that in Europe.

Competition at Inter

Currently at Inter, at the left back position are the 24-year old Brazilian Dalbert Henrique and the full back Danilo D’Ambrosio. It is fair to say that both Dalbert and D’Ambrosio are not Alex Sandro and this is not to say that this role is reserved for him. He will have to fight for it.

In midfield comes the more bigger names. The likes of Gagliardini, Matias Vecino, Radja Nainggolan, Marcelo Brozovic. Big competition. While it is complicated, it is not impossible to break into this team.
If we are coming down to such nitpicking then:

1. Sanchez's best came on the left or up front for Arsenal. He is good on the right but nowhere near the player that made his name in the PL.
2. Kroos played in a midfield 3 at his peak at Madrid, not in a midfield 2. At Bayern, Heynckes played him as a #10 with Gustavo and Bastian as the double pivot. Gustavo got suspended and Kroos had to play as the pivot and the team got defensively exposed.
3. Gimenez at Atletico plays next to Godin, who is a completely different CB from Hummels. Here Gimenez will have the responsibility to cover for a sweeper, something that he hasn't done before and on top of all the other problems, he is playing a completely new role.

Enigma_87

You know who
Not exactly nitpicking considering your LB was Sandro's reserve player for the position and played 30 odd games for Juve as a left back.

It's not really nitpicking for Verratti playing as a DLP or DM or whatever you call it, considering he never played there (like Saul for the first half) and always having 2 mainly defensive midfielders next to him in Motta and Matuidi.

Enigma_87

You know who
Could Asamoah, a makeshift LB and Sandro's reserve at Juve stop the Sanchez / Carvajal combo?

Sanchez at his peak that is, not the shadow of his former self unfortunately at United.

:drool:

Coming from the right, left, centrally - he was the complete attacker and Arsenal's main man.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
Is Redcafe’s Enigma_87 a caftard or Jose Mourinho?

After months of United fans crying for our team having too many LWs and no one to play RW, we have a draft manager who has made the same mistake and is playing with two attackers whose best came on the left flank with one of them shunned to the right, just as Martial and Rashford have been for us! jokes

Enigma_87

You know who
@Moby I won't really entertain the idea of spamming the thread out, so you are free badmouthing me I'll only try to support our team ;)

We've defended a lot Sanchez on the right even in the previous games and shown numerous examples of that. If you want to spam the thread and make it personal go ahead.

Enigma_87

You know who

Some great runs from Hazard, who no doubt will find himself in space, especially against Zabaleta with little support.

Hazard's game has received an enormous boost under Sarri and he's usually doubled and ever tripled at times, but here he'll find a lot of joy I think.

Enigma_87

You know who
Full marks for trying, doesn't change the facts.

This is why you shouldn't start nitpicking like that when you are playing players out of position yourself!
We may as well agree to disagree since you want to make it personal, mate. I'll stop responding to jabs and only support our team. As I've said we covered most of the points so will only defend our team and mention the advantages over yours.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Ochoa and Muslera in the SF of a modern draft.....we really have to do something with keepers! Btw ignore this and keep debating, just had to let it out :D

Enigma_87

You know who
https://ghanasoccernet.com/2014-world-cup-kwadwo-asamoah-unhappy-ghana-left-back-role

2014 World Cup: Kwadwo Asamoah unhappy with Ghana left-back role
Published on: 17 June 2014

Derek Asamoah
Ghana midfielder Kwadwo Asamoah has admitted for the first time that he is not comfortable being used as a left-back, insisting he sees himself as the creative force in the Black Stars set-up.

The Juventus ace was deployed at the unfavourable role as the Black Stars succumbed to USA 2-1 in their 2014 World Cup opener in Natal on Monday night.

Rumuors have persisted that the 24-year-old was frustrated by the role he was being asked to fulfil in the Ghanaian national team even though he had insisted he was comfortable with any role assigned him.

Now the former Udinese man has backtracked on his claims after Ghana lost to the Yanks in their opening group G game on Monday night, saying he does not enjoy playing in the left-back role being assigned him by coach Kwesi Appiah.

"Everybody knows where I perform best. I have never enjoyed playing at the back but when you're asked to step in what can you do?

"I see myself as one of the creative players on the field and so when I play in the offense, it's more helpful.

"I don't enjoy playing at the back and in the end it doesn't help the team.

"When you play as a target man, you have to stay up front and help the team out by holding the ball up and waiting for support. That all comes with experience.

"It's a good role for me to play when its on the offensive." But I'm afraid the defense is not the best place for me."

The Africans will take on Germany in their next must-win game on Saturday.

Asamoah in 2014 where he was placed in that position for his national team.

Moby

Dick
We may as well agree to disagree since you want to make it personal, mate. I'll stop responding to jabs and only support our team. As I've said we covered most of the points so will only defend our team and mention the advantages over yours.
Nah we haven't really covered on your whole wing advantage in this match being based on one of your wingers playing on the opposite flank as to what he performed best at.

Takes quite a bit away from that advantage and isn't going to allow you the same amount of chances and penetration in the game as you portrayed it to be.

Enigma_87

You know who
In essence:

- The opposition is playing a left back who isn't comfortable as playing as such by his own words.
- 2 CM's already found themselves playing at DM - neither of them comfortable at that position, never playing there on consistent basis.
- Zabaleta left alone against Hazard/Carvajal combo with the support of the side midfielder, who also has to be engaged heavily in the midfield battle in the center.

Moby

Dick
Asamoah's midfield prowess plays massively into my team's hands given he will be more effective than most in tracking him inside towards the middle of the pitch where Sanchez typically likes to be placed.

Sanchez will rarely ever go towards the touchline and having a LB adept at coming inside couldn't be more ideal for such an opponent. More so given he is on his least favoured side of the pitch.

Enigma_87

You know who
Ochoa and Muslera in the SF of a modern draft.....we really have to do something with keepers! Btw ignore this and keep debating, just had to let it out :D
Who do you rate better personally :) I know it's not the best keeper we could've field but at least ours won the Copa and was top ten ranked best goalkeeper by IFFHS.

The restrictions really proved difficult to get one from the bigger leagues as it would mean less options later on in improving the squad.

Enigma_87

You know who
Another quote on Asamoah - this time from Ghana's assistance coach:

Playing Asamoah at left-back 'wastes' him - Ghana assistant coach Tanko
Prince Narkortu Teye

Exclusive: The Black Stars deputy coach shares his thoughts about the Inter Milan player's best position

Ghana assistant coach Ibrahim Tanko believes deploying Kwadwo Asamoah in midfield positions brings the best out of the Inter Milan player.

Although he started his career as a midfielder, the 29-year-old has played largely at left-back or left-wing back over the last couple of years - particularly at club level - although he personally prefers to be deployed in midfield positions.

His switch to defence happened during his time at Juventus, and aside from Inter's Serie A opener, he has played in defence for the Nerazzurri so far this season.

"I personally think the left-back is not where he belongs," Tanko, Uefa Champions League winner with Borussia Dortmund, told Goal.

"The Italian league is the most tactical of all the leagues I follow in Europe, with all the three-back system, five in midfield and the likes.

"But I think Kwadwo’s position is in the middle, somewhere behind the striker or as a No.10 because he’s free to move everywhere.

"When you fix him at the left-back, for me, you are wasting him.

"He can also be played offensively. But I think he belongs to the middle of the pitch where he can move everywhere.

"With the kind of experience, skills and dribbling ability he has, I think he will be more effective in the middle than at those other positions."

Despite his 'new' role at club level, Asamoah continues to be handed midfield roles with Ghana's national set-up, where he only played in defence during their disastrous 2014 Fifa World Cup campaign in Brazil.

He has been named in a 23-man squad for this month's Africa Cup of Nations qualifying double-header against Sierra Leone.

Moby

Dick
Alexis Sanchez reveals what position he wants to play at Manchester United

More newsletters
Alexis Sanchez has revealed he likes to play on the left and through the middle - but is willing to 'fit in anywhere ' at Manchester United .

The Chilean initially made his name at Udinese as a right winger but has really impressed when cutting inside onto his favoured right foot from the left wing ever since.

Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford have pushed eachother to play on the left at United, while Jesse Lingard has really shone through the middle this season. Juan Mata , meanwhile, has mainly played on the right.

And, although he has been tipped to play in Mata's position, Sanchez appears to have his eye on two different roles.

"I'm a player who likes to win everything. I'm very professional in everything I do," he told MUTV.

What Jose Mourinho told Alexis Sanchez to convince him to join Manchester United
"I live for football. I love football. It's what I'm passionate about. I train hard every day and after a game I try to look at what went well and where I can improve.

"I really like to play down the left, through the middle, but to tell you the truth, as long as I'm playing football, I'll fit in anywhere!"

Sanchez enjoyed his best goalscoring campaign through the middle with Arsenal last season, when he scored 30 goals in 51 games.

But, in a previous interview in 2014, he explained why he was more comfortable playing on the left.

"I love playing in any of the three attacking positions but I feel a little more comfortable out on the left because it allows me to take on the opposing full-back and cut inside and shoot with my right foot,

Šjor Bepo

Who do you rate better personally :) I know it's not the best keeper we could've field but at least ours won the Copa and was top ten ranked best goalkeeper by IFFHS.

The restrictions really proved difficult to get one from the bigger leagues as it would mean less options later on in improving the squad.
both are very average, game will be won elsewhere IMO

Enigma_87

You know who
both are very average, game will be won elsewhere IMO
Yeah, naturally. I quite liked our GK choice considering he was from small league. Considered Donnarumma but his recent flap at the derby really wouldn't have helped our cause. :D

What's your take on the flanks battle and in midfield, mate? Seems that this is the biggest discussion point so far?

Šjor Bepo

Yeah, naturally. I quite liked our GK choice considering he was from small league. Considered Donnarumma but his recent flap at the derby really wouldn't have helped our cause. :D

What's your take on the flanks battle and in midfield, mate? Seems that this is the biggest discussion point so far?
ffs just knew i would be drawn into discussion:o
tbh i dont know, in majority of games i dont vote because when there is no clear advantage its really hard for me to judge who would win.

Enigma_87

You know who
ffs just knew i would be drawn into discussion:o
tbh i dont know, in majority of games i dont vote because when there is no clear advantage its really hard for me to judge who would win.
haha, no worries, mate. Just our back and forth arguing with Aldo reached a tipping point at least for me so always good to hear a neutral opinion :)

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Mbappe vs Hummels & Rooney vs Gimenez

OR

James vs Saul, Hazard vs Zabaleta & Alexis vs Asamoah.

Which one has more mis-matches?
Moby for me if you put it that way.

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
We are not man marking them mate. Boy do people really buy into this and completely overlooking the whole matchup..
I just answered the question your co-manager asked with my opinion

Enigma_87

You know who
I just answered the question your co-manager asked with my opinion
Think it's bit out of the context tho.

Carvajal and Sandro also play a major role in overwhelming those flanks. We have numerous other advantages all over the pitch - Kroos/Kante vs Di Maria/Verratti, Lewa should be rated higher than van Dijk as well, etc..

4-2-3-1 is very good option for neutralizing a diamond as the latter is more of a central approach, especially with the opposition full backs who aren't that good and certainly not at SF level.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Think it's bit out of the context tho.

Carvajal and Sandro also play a major role in overwhelming those flanks. We have numerous other advantages all over the pitch - Kroos/Kante vs Di Maria/Verratti, Lewa should be rated higher than van Dijk as well, etc..

4-2-3-1 is very good option for neutralizing a diamond as the latter is more of a central approach, especially with the opposition full backs who aren't that good and certainly not at SF level.
I rate Lewandowski lower than Van Dijk

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Playing Asamoah at left-back 'wastes' him - Ghana assistant coach Tanko
Not surprising, I mean Obi Mikel plays as a creative number 10 for his national team. When a team is weak they use their stars in the positions where they are more likely to impose their influence on the game. Doesn't mean that he's an attacking midfielder though.

Enigma_87

You know who
Not surprising, I mean Obi Mikel plays as a creative number 10 for his national team. When a team is weak they use their stars in the positions where they are more likely to impose their influence on the game. Doesn't mean that he's an attacking midfielder though.
Yeah, but he himself likes more advanced role if we go by his quotes and has played as a left midfielder or winger more than as a LB for Juve.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/kwadwo-asamoah/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/63531/verein/506

almost 3 times more in fact - 38 games as a LB to 91 as a LM/LW.

Otherwise you have a point there, but like Saul he hasn't make a position his own yet.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Tough one to separate. I edged to Moby based on the overall compactness he'd achieve through the Atletico style midfield unit (Atletico always being great at defending against strong flanks despite being narrow themselves), the ability of the front four to hit on the break, and the pace of Varane and Van Dijk to squeeze the game. It's a brutal team to play against.

Agreed.

To be fair I think there's an argument that both Sanchez and Asamoah aren't completely optimised in their positioning here, so I've largely ignored that part of the discussion.