Modrić winning the Ballon D'or in 2018 may have been a curse in disguise for the public perception about him

matbezlima

He was probably world's greatest midfielder, top 3 at least, from 2014 to 2017. And he was often considered underrated and unfairly in CR7's shadow. But everything changed in 2018. People were sick of Messi and CR7 always winning the Ballon D'or, so Modrić won virtually all individual awards in 2018 despite the fact that he, like Madrid's team as a whole, hadn't a great season, probably there are at least 3 or 4 seasons in which Modrić was truly great and clearly better than in 2018. Him being by far Croatia's best player in last decade combined with him reaching the World Cup final with Croatia made him an easy choice for the award of World Cup's best player despite the fact that he maybe was not even Croatia's best player in the campaign and also rarely being really good, like Croatia's matches as a whole in their campaign at the World Cup. His performance against Russia was specially dreadful, misplacing passes all the time and missing a penalty. Hazard was 2018's WC best player in my opinion.

Anyway, all of this combined with his and Real's team immediate huge decline in the 2018/2019 season, though many problems had already appeared in the 2017/2018 season (Real was poor and inferior to Bayern in both semi-final legs and they also finished 17 points behind Barcelona in 2017/2018 La Liga), has really affected his reputation negatively unfairly alongside recency bias. Real won the UCL in 2018, but their level of football had already significantly declined throughout that season. Modrić had at least 3 better seasons than in 2018, mainly 2014 and 2017. Not so much statistically, but the level of football that he played. Salah or CR7 should have won the 2018 Ballon D'Or. He has become often mocked and ridiculed as overrated due to his Ballon D'or win and people forget how good he was in the previous years.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Do you have to start a new thread for every thought that comes into your head? This isn't your personal blog (neither is r/soccer were you post the same stuff and get downvoted to death every time).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Don’t listen to them, Mat Bezlima. I love seeing your thread pop up on the main page once a day.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Has Modric really been widely mocked? Most people still seem to recognise that he was a brilliant midfielder, I think.

RUCK4444

Modric for a period of around 3 seasons was the best midfielder in world football.

An absolutely brilliant player, I thought he was good at Spurs but I never thought he had the ability to hit the heights he did at Madrid, he was an incredible signing for them and instrumental in much of their success in his time there.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
His performance against Russia was specially dreadful, misplacing passes all the time and missing a penalty.
Hard to say anything when things you are writing are plain wrong.

He was the best Croatian player in the tournament and he was even widely regarded as a rightly winner of the best player award once the tournament ended.
Narrative changed once he started to be the main favorite for Ballon d'Or. The award which many people take way too seriously.

Has Modric really been widely mocked? Most people still seem to recognise that he was a brilliant midfielder, I think.
Many people have issues with his Ballon d'Or win, but yeah, don't see anyone disputing how brilliant he was for the large part of his career.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
At one time he was the best midfielder in the world. Unfortunately, he was never the best player in thge world and his ballon d'Or is a sham and should've gone to CR7

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Yeah.

he also posts the same threads with the same titles on r/Barca
So basically an attention seeking WUM? Or just attention seeking?

Edit: Also banned for a year on Rate Your Music.

Edit, edit: Wow, try Googling the user name, it's like some weird alternate Universe. Numerous different Forums filled with strange thread titles.

Last edited:

Nickelodeon

Is "curse in disguise" a thing? Or can only blessings be delivered in disguise?

Nickelodeon

I always thought that Real's influence in UEFA rankings and Ballon D'or was exaggerated a bit. Modric winning clarified that notion for me. There is no way he was winning the award had he played for another club and delivered the exact same performances. He was good, really good actually. But nowhere close to the Ballon D'or standards set by Ronaldo or Messi. Or even by Kaka who was the last winner before those two.

Not sure it can ever be a curse as he will always be remembered as the person who broke the Ronaldo-Messi domination of the Ballon D'or. And it always will be a great accolade to have being the first from his country to do that as well. I'm really not seeing the down side here.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I always thought that Real's influence in UEFA rankings and Ballon D'or was exaggerated a bit. Modric winning clarified that notion for me. There is no way he was winning the award had he played for another club and delivered the exact same performances. He was good, really good actually. But nowhere close to the Ballon D'or standards set by Ronaldo or Messi. Or even by Kaka who was the last winner before those two.

Not sure it can ever be a curse as he will always be remembered as the person who broke the Ronaldo-Messi domination of the Ballon D'or. And it always will be a great accolade to have being the first from his country to do that as well. I'm really not seeing the down side here.
That's actually a wrong idea. Modric winning the Ballon d'Or was the most France Football thing to happen, it's worth remembering that 2018 is the comeback of the original France Football Ballon d'Or, meaning that FF and FIFA are partners anymore. The Ballon d'Or is about the best/most remarkable performer during a given season, it's not an award for the best player currently in Football, if you have a great international tournament FF will take it into account and it will have a lot of weight.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

Hasn't the FIFA FIFPro World XI team award generally been a complete farce with a huge bias shown towards Barcelona and Real Madrid players? Xavi is a legend, but the fact that he made the 2013 team when he had clearly declined and was past his best was a joke. As great a player as Iniesta was, did he really deserve to make it 9 years in a row? Definitely not. Modric, Marcelo and Ramos all making the World XI for both 2015 and 2019 was comically ridiculous (I think Modric's appearances were restricted through injury in 2015 as well). Ramos making the team in 2013 was also ridiculous (like Iniesta he also made the team 9 years in a row). I think Alves as amazing as was probably made it on occasions when he didn't deserve to etc.

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
Do you have to start a new thread for every thought that comes into your head? This isn't your personal blog (neither is r/soccer were you post the same stuff and get downvoted to death every time).
:lol:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I have seen people unironically argue that De Bruyne and Pogba are better midfielders than prime Modric.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
:lol::lol:

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
He was probably world's greatest midfielder, top 3 at least, from 2014 to 2017. And he was often considered underrated and unfairly in CR7's shadow. But everything changed in 2018. People were sick of Messi and CR7 always winning the Ballon D'or, so Modrić won virtually all individual awards in 2018 despite the fact that he, like Madrid's team as a whole, hadn't a great season, probably there are at least 3 or 4 seasons in which Modrić was truly great and clearly better than in 2018. Him being by far Croatia's best player in last decade combined with him reaching the World Cup final with Croatia made him an easy choice for the award of World Cup's best player despite the fact that he maybe was not even Croatia's best player in the campaign and also rarely being really good, like Croatia's matches as a whole in their campaign at the World Cup. His performance against Russia was specially dreadful, misplacing passes all the time and missing a penalty. Hazard was 2018's WC best player in my opinion.

Anyway, all of this combined with his and Real's team immediate huge decline in the 2018/2019 season, though many problems had already appeared in the 2017/2018 season (Real was poor and inferior to Bayern in both semi-final legs and they also finished 17 points behind Barcelona in 2017/2018 La Liga), has really affected his reputation negatively unfairly alongside recency bias. Real won the UCL in 2018, but their level of football had already significantly declined throughout that season. Modrić had at least 3 better seasons than in 2018, mainly 2014 and 2017. Not so much statistically, but the level of football that he played. Salah or CR7 should have won the 2018 Ballon D'Or. He has become often mocked and ridiculed as overrated due to his Ballon D'or win and people forget how good he was in the previous years.
By who? And where?

I've seen people commenting he was unfair winner (I agree with that) but haven't heard or read him being overrated because of that?

Give some examples of that.

Last edited:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Here is a challenge for you, matbezlima: try to create a thread where no one can figure out the thread author just by watching at the thread title!

matbezlima

So basically an attention seeking WUM? Or just attention seeking?

Edit: Also banned for a year on Rate Your Music.

Edit, edit: Wow, try Googling the user name, it's like some weird alternate Universe. Numerous different Forums filled with strange thread titles.
I'm just a person who loves rankings and obssessed with discussing about everything that goes in my head or else I don't have inner peace. I have Asperger, I always get obssessed with a single subject. I created countless threads in subreddits about gaming and in gamefaqs.net. I also do the same for r/thelastairbender, about the great series. I'm a Sinatra obssessed fan and got too heated in discussions about objectivity of art and that's why I was banned in RYM, but I'll be back when the ban expires there and be a much better and more balanced user instead of being so passionate, easily angerable and defensive with opinions. And I made virtually all posts that I wanted now about football, I have inner peace. So this will stop from now on.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Also, fair fecks to the modmins, a bot came out of the newbie system getting 10 likes in about 100 posts.

matbezlima

Here is a challenge for you, matbezlima: try to create a thread where no one can figure out the thread author just by watching at the thread title!
I have always been a person obssessed with details and as many adjectives as possible or otherwise I don't feel peace because I feel that I didn't tell what I meant to say in its fullest aspects.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/its...-most-non-controversial-ucl-title-win.454570/
Definitely got a bet on to see how long he can make a thread title and not get banned
I am not happy with this title actually. Redcafe and reddit would not let me type a longer title and I had to work hard here and even more in barcaforum to condense my true original title, which would be this one:

It's funny how the Barcelona teams from the 2008/2009 and 2010/2011 seasons, specially the latter, were probably better collectively than the Barcelona 2014/2015, yet Barcelona 2014/2015 had the most consistent, confident and controversy free UCL KO run in their title in both results and great football.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
And I made virtually all posts that I wanted now about football, I have inner peace. So this will stop from now on.
You might want to stop talking to @Sassy Colin then if you want to maintain your peaceful state of mind.