Morata - why didn't we get him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Honest question, Do people seriously think Morata would have made much difference considering he would not have got the service he gets at chelsea and from what I have seen he is no Henry/Sanchez/Suarez who can change the game on his own.
When we played CFC 2 months ago and they beat us 1-0.
Morata only got 1 clear chance (which was not easy) and scored it against DDG (who is a fantastic keeper).
Lukaku on the other hand needs several chances to score 1 goal.
I think that this is the frustration that we have with Lukaku.

Nick7

We wanted Lukaku. Pretty much everyone ran with that except people on here.

NinjaFletch

Morata only got 1 clear chance (which was not easy) and scored it against DDG (who is a fantastic keeper).
Your memory of that game is absolutely awful.

I suggest you re-watch it.

AshRK

That was just one game. Even then he got a fabulous ball. Our players don't do that and Morata , not as far as I can remember, takes the game by the scruff and dictates it.

Marcelinho87

While Morata overall would have done better than Lukaku here, mainly because he offers something outside the box.

Lukaku has not been given the support he needs here, we are too deep the majority of the time.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Morata has missed so many chances too.

AshRK

While Morata overall would have done better than Lukaku here, mainly because he offers something outside the box.

Lukaku has not been given the support he needs here, we are too deep the majority of the time.
Like? Because from what I have seen of him, he depends a lot on Hazard's movement. If hazard is having an off game, he too goes quite. Which si why I doubt if he would have made much difference considering we do not have any Hazard esque player here.

Oaencha

ok hoooold up, just seen these quotes from last month:

Morata: ‘I had the chance to go to Manchester United and other teams in the Premier League. The important thing is I’m part of Chelsea and I’m very happy with this and now it’s time to fight for the blue shirt. I want to play well and win with this shirt.’

interview source: http://metro.co.uk/2017/11/03/alvar...nho-but-now-hes-my-rival-7051688/?ito=cbshare
The Metro is a shiterag. No better than the Sun.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Sorry, wasn't sure which thread to put this into.

From what I understand Jose wanted Morata, they quoted £79.8m, we wanted to spend £50m?
Then we decided to switch target to Lukaku and spent £90m?! Whilst R.Madrid eventually sold him for £58m?

I don't understand. Why would we decide not to spend the £80m, but only to go and up it to £90m (for Lukaku)?
Maybe we felt Morata wasnt worth 75m but we though Lukaku was. Hence we set a limit of how much we were going to pay for Morata? Also when we were trying to sign Morata, Madrid might have been playing hard ball trying to squeeze more money but Chelsea got him closer towards the end of the window by which time Morata might have told Madrid he wants to leave in the summer.

Crashoutcassius

Lukaku/morata have had more than one professional season so try to restate what you said taking that into account ? You will struggle with a non negligible sample size.

AshRK

This thread will look stupid in 3 years when lukaku heavily outscores morata
But it seems scoring alone is not enough, he has to do flicks/tricks to impress some here. Maybe instead of footballer he should have been a freestyle footballer or better joined a circus.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think Lukaku was both Chelsea and United's first choice.

It's worked out better for United in the end financially with Rooney going back to Everton and his massive wage bill off the books. If we had ended up with Morata we would have likely struggled to move him on.

Figures wise Lukaku is doing better than Morata also, despite the dip in form, so can't say I'm at all disappointed.

Oaencha

Any paper you believe or do they all just sit around and literally make up quotes and also miraculously not get sued for libel? :lol:
There are a few sources that would twitch my ears but none of them are newspapers. The bottom of the barrel ones like the Sun, Metro and Sport may as well just draw names out of a hat. The slightly more reputable ones just copy and paste from the popular sources. None of these newspapers have any real insight or contact with these clubs.

Member 5225

There are a few sources that would twitch my ears but none of them are newspapers. The bottom of the barrel ones like the Sun, Metro and Sport may as well just draw names out of a hat. The slightly more reputable ones just copy and paste from the popular sources. None of these newspapers have any real insight or contact with these clubs.
Think you're being rather disingenuous - but there we go.
You strike me the type that just waits for the official Man Utd website or BBC website (ala when it's all done and dusted). fair play.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
History. Lukaku very consistent premiership goal scorer since teenage. Morata not a consistent goalscorer.
Morata numbers are consistent in the last 4 years, what he has lacked are minutes, ~1300 minutes per season in league his last 3 seasons, he's almost there with Chelsea this season and we're not even in January. And he's done it in 3 different leagues.

Lukaku almost doubles his league goals output in the same seasons but in twice the amount of minutes. I think they're equal players in performance, with different styles.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Because Lukaku is a better striker for the system the manager wants to play. Morata does not occupy defenders effecively; rather he moves away from them to find space.

Mourinho strikers must occupy 2 CBs to open space for wingers to run; and Lukaku does this better.

SER19

I keep seeing that lukaku cost 90m. This forum is the only pLace that seems to think so. Strange that.

Lukaku was a proven premier league scorer and will likely hit 30 goals for us. Much less of a gamble.

Real Madrid didn't want to sell to us.

Morata hasn't been significantly more impressive to warrant any regret on the issue.

Lukaku was likely seen as a more secure long term option than a spainish player with unfinished business in Spain.

Lukaku is a top striker and isn't the issue.

Probably worth asking this question in twelve months.

PieCrust

Real happened. I'm convinced Morata was always our first choice, but Real were in the end too difficult to deal with.

el3mel

Does answering this question makes any difference ? Is Morata having a hell out of the season to be so miserable for not getting him every time Lukaku had a bad game ? Both have similar numbers so far.

The fact is Lukaku is our striker now and it's our club's job to develop him to achieve what we want from our number 9.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Does answering this question makes any difference ? Is Morata having a hell out of the season to be so miserable for not getting him every time Lukaku had a bad game ? Both have similar numbers so far.

The fact is Lukaku is our striker now and it's our club's job to develop him to achieve what we want from our number 9.
The better question would be, why didnt we break the bank for Harry Kane? Well, actually that's probably a crap question because the answe was obvious; he'd cost double that of Lukaku.

Member 5225

Apolgies if my OP was inferring I would rather Morata than Lukaku, I don't.
I thought it was public knowledge we were trying to negotiate for Morata but switched targets and wanted to know if there was truth in that, and why we didn't end up getting him, if he was our #1 target.

el3mel

The better question would be, why didnt we break the bank for Harry Kane? Well, actually that's probably a crap question because the answe was obvious; he'd cost double that of Lukaku.
Yeah no chance we could have gotten Kane for anything less than 150m, and that would have affected our other transfers even more than it was already affected.

Having Kane as our main striker was a dream for me, as the best English striker should always play for the biggest English club, but he's gonna leave for Madrid now sooner or later.

Lukaku will be our striker for minimum 4-5 years, so better for coaching stuff to work on developing him and how to play for his strengths.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I thought it was public knowledge we were trying to negotiate for Morata but switched targets and wanted to know if there was truth in that, and why we didn't end up getting him, if he was our #1 target.
No it wasn't public knowledge and is probably inaccurate.

According to the players themselves United contacted both of them for a move; however Lukaku was contacted several times and was targeted more aggressively (and talked to Mourinho on multiple occasions). When Lukaku was signed the reports coming out were that Morata was a 'smokescreen' for the Lukaku transfer.

Add to this that Lukaku was with Pogba on holiday after the season; and it seems much more plausible that he was our first choice because negotiations would be much easier.

Oaencha

Think you're being rather disingenuous - but there we go.
You strike me the type that just waits for the official Man Utd website or BBC website (ala when it's all done and dusted). fair play.
Maybe. I’m not saying Newspapers are never right; just wrong or guessing the majority of the time.

There are a few sites which I find quite reliable but until I see the player in his new shirt I tend to take everything with a pinch (or fist) of salt.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
United thought It was a Madrid swindling. Although understandable after Di María

SER19

But even if you're right, is that even unusual. Big teams change target all the time for countless reasons, not sure why it's 'worrying' you so much

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Still a bit worried by this btw.
Real Madrid didn't guarantee Morata regular game time, so Morata wanted to leave Real to get regular minutes. We and Chelsea showed the most interest, but Real tried to extract more money off of us given the greater demand (at the time) and our willingness to throw money around. At the same time, we were also attempting to get Lukaku (along with Chelsea). I think Mourinho had his preference with Lukaku, but Ed was still working on the Morata transfer in case the Lukaku deal fell through. However, it didn't so we got him, and Chelsea were the only party interested in Morata, which was why they got him for a decent price in the end.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I wanted lukaku and still think that he is better for our style of play and for premier league than morata. And yes, at the end of the season he will outscore morata.
To answer the question: i think that jose wanted lukaku over morata. Before summer he said that this year he prefers PL proven players

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I don't think Morata is much better than Lukaku, if at all. The fact that he's still scoring at the same rate here as he did at Everton is telling of our support to the forward - it's just not enough. He has shown an attitude to chase the ball, to dribble from wide on, his first touch may not be his strongest suit but it isn't as terrible as we feared, and he participates in good link-up play, too and is pretty fast. However, he is prone to more brainfart moments, definitely, as has been witnessed in a couple of easy misses and defensive clearance calamities over the last couple of games.

In the long run, he'll mature further and become a better player. Lukaku at Chelsea would be doing far better than what we've seen from him here.

eat_grass

Senior United sources insist Lukaku was always United's 'principal target' and the club had pursued the Belgium international for months...
At the time that sounded like pure spin, trying to make out like United hadn't been forced to settle for their backup target by Madrid's spiteful negotiations. Mourinho was full of praise for Morata throughout negotiations, and gave specific details about why he fit United's needs.

Why did it take "months" of pursuit to convince Lukaku to agree to join United? He's been very clear about how easy the choice was in choosing United over Chelsea (bigger platform, bigger history -- all of which didn't change one bit during the summer into fall).

If Morata were leading the line United's attack would look very different than it does now. In fairness to Lukaku, he's exceeded expectations on several fronts: link-up play, assists, work rate. But he's also let United down in big occasions recently and so that's what's standing out in peoples' minds.

Reactions: Penna
Status
Not open for further replies.