Morata - why didn't we get him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Who said it was a one way thing?

Morata is a good striker when he can play off someone else next to him.

Morata is not the correct profile for a lone striker, and its obvious to see. He does not physically occupy defenders; which is a must for a lone striker because you will always be outnumbered. Smaller strikers like Suarez and Aguero are more physically imposing than him because they use their strength much better and are better in other aspects as well.

Morata's goals from crosses comes from his good movement, not his efficiency in physical battles. Virtually every header he has scored was from him peeling off a defender and having more space to get a good shot on. A striker with good movement but not the physical qualities is a player that is at his best with other players around him.
I think what I mostly disagree with is the reduction of a lone striker's tasks to physical battles. And the subsequent judgement that he has "shown virtually no competency as a lone striker". In my understanding, intelligent movement, quick reactions, good timing, and good link up abilities can make a fine lone CF (as in a 4-3-3), it's just a different profile and approach. Although, as I said, I agree that Morata has to improve quite a bit in terms of physicality to become a complete CF, because that will always be a central part of the job. I'd just give him more than a few months to adapt before making a final assessment.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I think what I mostly disagree with is the reduction of a lone striker's tasks to physical battles. And the subsequent judgement that he has "shown virtually no competency as a lone striker". In my understanding, intelligent movement, quick reactions, good timing, and good link up abilities can make a fine lone CF (as in a 4-3-3), it's just a different profile and approach. Although, as I said, I agree that Morata has to improve quite a bit in terms of physicality to become a complete CF, because that will always be a central part of the job. I'd just give him more than a few months to adapt before making a final assessment.
A 4-3-3 is not a lone striker...a 4-3-3 uses a fluid forward line often with inverted wide players (which allows the full backs to provide the width). The fact that the formation is 4-3-3 seems to make it clear that it isnt a lone striker system...

The main systems for lone strikers is the 4-2-3-1 and 4-5-1 which has a no.10 feeding the striker.

Conte has a clear preference for a two striker system. He also has a preference for two box to box midfielders which means a traditional no.10 cannot fit in the team (because there is no DM to cover him).

I don't think Morata will develop as a lone striker under Conte because he will rarely play as one.

vangagal

If Morata and Griezmann really was our first choice last summer, we might be playing purely on counter attacking mode this season. One thing i notice if Lukaku made runs through the channel with the ball, others came to box quite late. It left Lukaku alone to dribble defenders out of his way or waiting someone to help him or making cross. If Griezmann and Morata are here, i think the idea is make Griezmann play off behind Morata, making late run into the box.

Nikelesh Reddy

Because Lukaku was the safer option,and he's more in the mould of a quintessential Mourinhos striker.He was tried and tested in the PL and Jose wanted someone who could hit the ground running....He was the right choice and I think he's done well so far,he continues to lead the line very competently even though the goals have dried up...

Canagel

Because Perez was playing hardball. Probably as revenge for the De Gea saga a couple of years back.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
A 4-3-3 is not a lone striker...a 4-3-3 uses a fluid forward line often with inverted wide players (which allows the full backs to provide the width). The fact that the formation is 4-3-3 seems to make it clear that it isnt a lone striker system...

The main systems for lone strikers is the 4-2-3-1 and 4-5-1 which has a no.10 feeding the striker.

Conte has a clear preference for a two striker system. He also has a preference for two box to box midfielders which means a traditional no.10 cannot fit in the team (because there is no DM to cover him).

I don't think Morata will develop as a lone striker under Conte because he will rarely play as one.
I don't know, it's too much about rigid definitions of player types and formations to me here. For my part, we can agree that Morata is not well suited to a certain interpretation of a CF and leave it at that. Especially since we also seem to agree that Conte isn't looking for that kind of player anyway.

Handré1990

When we played CFC 2 months ago and they beat us 1-0.
Morata only got 1 clear chance (which was not easy) and scored it against DDG (who is a fantastic keeper).
Lukaku on the other hand needs several chances to score 1 goal.
I think that this is the frustration that we have with Lukaku.
I’m under the same impression. Feels like Morata is scoring a lot of important first goals. Just last round they were struggling to break the tie and he pops up with a goal, same vs us. Just a feeling, mind. Might be it’s my mind’s playing tricks on me since Lukaku is struggling. I saw Morata’s headed goal, and in our match Lukaku managed to head the one good cross he got sideways and out of danger.

dove

Unfortunately the club chose Lukaku
And how is that unfortunate? Looking at the stats, they are quite identical and Lukaku is playing in a team with 0 service, he could have had at least 5 more goals if we had someone like Ozil.

Sigma

Lukaku is a better goalscorer than Morata. Morata misses far to many chances, unless it with his head.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Having a bit of a tough time at the moment.
What surprises me is how he seems to have no desire to compete with CBs physically.
He spends a lot of time on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.