More substitutions in football

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Don't agree that we should have more substitutions than 3.

Two ideas I could be open to however:

- replacing an injured player not counting towards your substitution allowance. Means more players are protected then being forced to try and carry on. Obvious challenges would be how to police it (I.e what if someone is faking it?)

- additional sub/subs in extra time which occurs in some cups and has already been discussed to death above.

RedCurry

There is no need for another sub. It will invariably prove beneficial to teams with bigger and more quality squads.

I would actually make the subs rule in such a way that the game doesn't stop for substitutions unless it's a goalkeeper or the player is injured. When the ball goes out of play, two players can switch at whatever speed they want till the ball is back in play. You will never see another player slowly walk out again.

redflair

I'd ban any substitutions in injury time, even if it's for an injured player.

It's simply a time-wasting tactic (or to give an ovation to an outstanding player) so it should be outlawed.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
More subs?! You have to be bloody joking. 3 each is plenty, and wastes enough time as it is. Half the reason why we never seem to finish a game with less than 95mins. Add more subs and it'll push towards 100 as standard.

Am always dubious of managers suggesting sh!T straight after defeats.

Gasolin

Thinking about it, what about another sub allowed but it can only be made at half-time so as to not waste any time at all.
Nah you need to be able to act on the game. 3 is fine. The only change I would consider is around the keeper, as it's critical and it's very weird to put a field player as a keeper because you're out of substitutions. But that's an open debate. I believe the quality of the manager shines in the current format.

nobby the legend

I would agree for 4 substitutions, but only if the extra one is the goalkeeper. In this case we will see all three field substitutions done earlier in the game. Very often the last substitution is not used or used very late in the game, because of concerns for possible injury of the goalie.

siw2007

No, we don't need more substitutions in normal time. I think having 3 subs is plenty and it places great importance on picking the right team and making the right tactical switches.

I would be happy for an extra sub in extra time. Sometimes you have a player who is dead on their feet due to tiredness and needs to go off for their own safety.

Dinghy

Awful idea from the "great thinker". Just imagine the last 15-20 minutes of the games if each team can make a sub 4-5 times...

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Could only go to 4 if you made a max of 2 per half per team I think. Potential of 6-8 changes in one half would be awful.
Well at the moment we get 6 pretty much in second half anyway. No one would do all their changes in first half anyway, it is suicidal for team morale.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
They could try the idea but one of the subtitutions should include 2 players simultaneously

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Well at the moment we get 6 pretty much in second half anyway. No one would do all their changes in first half anyway, it is suicidal for team morale.
True. Just looked at the last 10 matches in the Premier league. 52 subs in 10 matches. Only 1 first half sub.

If the average subs per game is currently at 5, taking that to 7 and peaking at 8 would destroy the second half. Maybe you could have a max of 3 per half. Though I'm sure you'd then see so many changes at 44 minutes.

Not advocating any change to the current system though.

rio's upper lip

:lol: that is a truly admirable Godwin-esque leap for a discussion about substitutes in football.

4 subs is exactly how Nazi Germany started!
Apropos Nazi Germany; to quote Sturmbannführer Hellstrom from Inglourious Basterds: "Scherz!". Thought that was obvious.

I still do not find your arguments very compelling, but as I said it doesn't matter much to me.