Mork & Mindy, featuring Robin Williams.

AkaAkuma

na-no na-no was Morks catch phrase - I think it was what launched Williams film career. It was on UK tv when I was a kid

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Mork & Mindy. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Mork’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Mork & Mindy truly AREidiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Mork’s existential catchphrase “Nanu nanu,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Garry Marshall's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them. :lol:

buchansleftleg

Mork Calling Orson.....Come in Orson!

Mork and Mindy was a spin-off from Happy Days - a sitcom that spawned multiple other sitcoms Laverne and Shirley, Joanie Loves Chaci, The Fonz and the happy days gang. I think there were also a couple of others that tanked in the US and we never saw them here.

Mork appeared in season 5 of Happy days - Literally the season where Happy days "jumped the shark" as they were running out of plot ideas and the idea of a crazy Alien episode came about. It was perhaps influenced by the success of Close encounters of the third kind earlier that year. The original series being influenced by the success of American Graffiti that started a wave of 50's nostalgia.

I absolutely adored Mork and Mindy and hated Happy days I had a massive boy crush on Mindy and always enjoyed the mix of slapstick humour and pricking of pomposity on the show. I also loved the Exidor character - bit of a spaced out hippy that is either mentally ill or in touch with the venusians!

Like all American sitcoms from the time it suffers from an annoying tendency for everything to be a "learning to get along" message but given the times that's not really surprising.