Most charismatic footballers ever

Denis' cuff

Becks charismatic? Good lookin bloke who has a terrible voice and is pretty bland as personalities go.

Eric for me, he was just a complete maverick and so eloquently confusing when he spoke :devil:
showed his charisma the way he flapped his foot at Simeone. Then responded to the boot incident by looking all hurt and hard done by for the cameras.

charismatic my arse

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Becks :lol: Love the guy and obviously good looking but no way charismatic. Keane is much more charismatic.

Don’t find Zlatan charismatic either.

On the pitch it would be Zidane for me.
On as well as off the pitch Cantona and Maradona.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I’d probably say that my one choice would be Cruyff, even though I’d be going against my own heart which has Cantona’s name engraved on it.

Maradona is obviously somewhere up there, it’s just that his personality is so appalling to me (it sounds weird to talk like that about someone that you didn’t know personally, but he was a bad person, that’s really the word I’m going with). The most magical footballer to ever live though and he has amassed not even a cult following, but a proper religion based solely on him.

Loved the Netzer shout in one of the posts earlier. Breitner was probably on his way to the very top before he traded his whole Che Guevara charade for a luxurious contract in Spain.

Di Stéfano, Law, Best, Yashin, Voronin, Maldini, Socrates, Zidane, Robson...

Weirdly enough, it’s such a tough criteria. I’m thinking about tons of players and can’t decide whenever they deserve to be called charismatic on an all-time scale. Keane, Baggio, Baresi, Facchetti, Figueroa, Riva, Rivera, Figo, Beckenbauer, Platini, Dalglish etc.

stu_1992

I'm sure there are many examples but the first two that come to mind are Cantona and Zlatan.

Denis' cuff

I’d probably say that my one choice would be Cruyff, even though I’d be going against my own heart which has Cantona’s name engraved on it.

Maradona is obviously somewhere up there, it’s just that his personality is so appalling to me (it sounds weird to talk like that about someone that you didn’t know personally, but he was a bad person, that’s really the word I’m going with). The most magical footballer to ever live though and he has amassed not even a cult following, but a proper religion based solely on him.

Loved the Netzer shout in one of the posts earlier. Breitner was probably on his way to the very top before he traded his whole Che Guevara charade for a luxurious contract in Spain.

Di Stéfano, Law, Best, Yashin, Voronin, Maldini, Socrates, Zidane, Robson...

Weirdly enough, it’s such a tough criteria. I’m thinking about tons of players and can’t decide whenever they deserve to be called charismatic on an all-time scale. Keane, Baggio, Baresi, Facchetti, Figueroa, Riva, Rivera, Figo, Beckenbauer, Platini, Dalglish etc.
Jeez, that is some list.

Edges are often blurred between sheer excellence and quality vs personality. Maybe a “charismatic player” should have both. Beckenbauer, for instance; one of my favourite players ever but despite his imposing, authorative and composed air, find I can’t quite call him “charismatic”. Then again... maybe?

Dalglish, for all his excellence, has the personality of an Austin Maxi.

Sparky Rhiwabon

When I think of charismatic footballers I think of some players that don't need their full name:
Eric
Diego
Bestie
Zlatan
Gazza

eire-red

Ronaldo and Ramos spring to mind from recent times.

Cantona was something else also. Neuer during his peak had that 'aura' about him, he seemed unbeatable.

Blakpot

Supports
Indomie Noodles Tasters FC
Surprised no mention of Drogba yet.
Ronaldinho
Pirlo
Michael Ballack

GameOn

I don’t think OP knows what charismatic means if the first to mind is Oliver Kahn.

Big personality yes, as did Schmeichel, but charisma? None.
Sorry, but anyone really questioning whether Kahn is charismatic or not is just completely ignorant and has zero knowledge about German football.

Dude is very charismatic (rhetorically good, intelligent, great humor and that kind of "alpha factor"). You can also see that in every interview he gives.

There is a reason he was a great TV expert and also became Bayern's CEO recently.

Neuer in comparison has a great aura on the pitch, but the charisma of a potato outside of it.

Last edited:

Pablo76

Sorry, but anyone really questioning whether Kahn is charismatic or not is just completely ignorant and has zero knowledge about German football.

Dude is very charismatic (rhetorically good, intelligent, great humor and that kind of "alpha factor"). You can also see that in every interview he gives.

There is a reason he was a great TV expert and also became Bayern's CEO recently.
Fair enough, I never saw him on tv or in the board room, but the thread is about footballers and the OP alludes to this further by mentioning his aura on the field.

GameOn

Fair enough, I never saw him on tv or in the board room, but the thread is about footballers and the OP alludes to this further by mentioning his aura on the field.
Charisma has nothing to do with aura on the pitch.

There are many footballers with a great aura on the field, but no charisma in the "real world" outside of it.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I would put David Ginola up there

Needham

Maddison. Gives post match interviews like he's chatting up two sorts at once. He won't call them 'sorts' but I bet he's got a word for them. You all have. In your head.

AkaAkuma

its a really broad discussion, but I associate Charisma with charm, somebody who can make you do something despite yourself.

Ginola
Leonardo
Klinsmann

Van Gaal and Ferguson as non players

I'll get slaughtered for this, but Lawro.

GueRed

Eric Cantona
Maradona

the obvious standouts.

Zlatan is as charismatic as a circus clown or court jester. He's very try-hard and rehearsed. Doesnt wash with me. He should be a WWF wrestler the way he speaks in that 3rd person way too .:lol:

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
From the past:
Beckenbauer
Cruyff
Maradona
Best

Recent:
Matthäus
Ronaldinho
Cantona

Now:
Thomas Muller

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
George Best and Cantona. Zidane has always been super cool.

Son

Which stories are those? He was by all accounts a very, hm, unique personality that was solely focused on football (and even more so, on dribbling), who hardly had any meaningful interactions with anyone. If you're talking about the way he is/was cherished by Brazilians then it has more to do with his pure obsession with football/joga bonito as an opposite to a marketing-oriented Pelé; not with his individual charisma.
Maybe I’m wrong about his personality then because from what I’ve heard he played football with the kids on the streets and barely knew who the next opponent was until the day of a match.

I’m happy to take the L on him though if he was indeed as quiet as a mouse.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Maybe I’m wrong about his personality then because from what I’ve heard he played football with the kids on the streets and barely knew who the next opponent was until the day of a match.

I’m happy to take the L on him though if he was indeed as quiet as a mouse.
He was, well, very child-like, couldn’t read, struggled to coherently talk about anything aside the very basic stuff. Had very little understanding of points, league formats etc. (he infamously didn’t realize that they’ve won the World Cup until teammates told him that they did...). That’s not charisma, I don’t want to be a couch psychiatrist, but there are more appropriate words for it.

He was loved by Brazilians because he didn’t know and didn’t care about anything else aside from football. But it was not his charisma, it was his actions on the pitch (and a complete lack of any personality off the pitch altogether).

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
I think one must be somewhat of a Bayern fan to think Oliver Kahn was charismatic as a player (or good TV „expert“).
Anyway, of tose I saw live on the telly I‘d think of R9 and R10, Maldini, Del Piero, Kalou, Eto‘o among others.
From Germany, Lars Stindl comes to mind - although he’ prolly rather „sympathetic“ than „charismatic“.

GameOn

I think one must be somewhat of a Bayern fan to think Oliver Kahn was charismatic as a player (or good TV „expert“).
Anyway, of tose I saw live on the telly I‘d think of R9 and R10, Maldini, Del Piero, Kalou, Eto‘o among others.
From Germany, Lars Stindl comes to mind - although he’ prolly rather „sympathetic“ than „charismatic“.
You really bring up Stindl in the conversation of being charismatic, while questioning Kahn?
Even from the current generation guys like Müller or Hummels have more than twice the charisma that Stindl has.