Most disappointing record transfer….

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
As the title says, who is your most disappointing club record transfer?

Pogba
Di Maria
Mata
Veron
Berbatov
Webb
Birtles

for me I’d go Mata or Berbatov. Neither have done anything close to what they did at their previous clubs. Mata was sensational at Chelsea but bang average for us. He hasn’t registered as a player who looks like one of the best in the league since we signed him he just been a decent player. Berbatov whilst perhaps a better player overall for us found himself out of the team in big games after his first season and just never came close to the player he looked at Spurs.

Neil Webb perhaps the biggest Cnut alongside DiMaria, but at least we got most of our money back on him.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Pogba
Di Maria
Mata
Veron
Berbatov
Webb
Birtles

for me I’d go Mata or Berbatov. Neither have done anything close to what they did at their previous clubs. Mata was sensational at Chelsea but bang average for us. He hasn’t registered as a player who looks like one of the best in the league since we signed him he just been a decent player. Berbatov whilst perhaps a better player overall for us found himself out of the team in big games after his first season and just never came close to the player he looked at Spurs.

Neil Webb perhaps the biggest Cnut alongside DiMaria, but at least we got most of our money back on him.
Surely Veron was way more disappointing than those two?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Surely Veron was way more disappointing than those two?
I think it depends on how you view the disappointment. For me with Veron the disappointment came when we sold him. He had moments of pure brilliance. We never figured out how to use him. With Mata for example I just think, Juanfield aside, he’s been largely forgettable.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Di maria is disgraceful, for the club and for him. He doesnt want to be here.

BFS

What's that southampton midfielder name again? He was good on FM at least.

Martial, stinking the place for 5 year.

Karel poborsky

Djemba2

Oldyella

Di Maria. Easily. As soon as he faced the first hint of adversity he wanted out.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

BFS

Karel poborsky

Djemba2
Some of these weren’t record signings! As for Martial I think that’s extremely unfair as an appraisal. His first season was very good. He was top scorer and player of the year the season before last and Jose screwed him over as soon as he came to the club.

Baneofthegame

BFS

Karel poborsky

Djemba2
None of them except Di Maria were club record fees, he was the most disappointing though, just because I had such high hopes for him. Think he actually had better stats than Coutinho that year, just ran into LVG and his wife hating England.

Mata would probably be next in recent memory as I don’t think he replicated his Chelsea form here, he had some decent spells, especially for LVG.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Miralem Sulejmani to Ajax. Yes it was only 15 million, but still a record and he was absotively rubbish for them.

NWRed

Birtles was shocking, signed in Oct 80 and didn't score in the league until Sep 81, 25 league games without scoring for a star striker who'd won the european cup in both of the previous 2 seasons.

EDIT: we also lost huge money (at the time) on him when we sold him back to Forest (80% loss on his £1.25 million fee)

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Birtles was shocking, signed in Oct 80 and didn't score in the league until Sep 81, 25 league games without scoring for a star striker who'd won the european cup in both of the previous 2 seasons.

EDIT: we also lost huge money (at the time) on him when we sold him back to Forest (80% loss on his £1.25 million fee)
Slightly before my time, but yeah that’s tragic.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Some of these weren’t record signings! As for Martial I think that’s extremely unfair as an appraisal. His first season was very good. He was top scorer and player of the year the season before last and Jose screwed him over as soon as he came to the club.
Sure..but the animo at the time signing Bastian Fcuking Schweinsteger.

Those F are there for a reason

ShoePolish

Maybe it's just me, but when Mata was signed, all I could think was "Why?" We had Rooney as AM/SS, and Kagawa as back up, so shelling out all that money for Mata seemed so fecking useless. Going through list of players on transfermarkt now, seems even then we had right wing problems, as Januzaj is the only listed right winger. A panic buy in every sense for me. Not saying he's the worst, just didn't ever seem to fit, unless we were going to phase Rooney out then, which we never did.

GueRed

Pogba.

Loved watching him come through the youth. Amazing talent and got swept up in the hype when we signed him back.
Thought he'll be a driving force in our midfield etc
How wrong was I. Disappointing to say the least.

A lot of fans will say Veron but for me personally I didnt expect much from him. Watched him loads in Serie A and although talented I doubted he would adapt to the fast and frentic pace of the Premiership...also I didnt find him better than Keane or Scholes.

I was disappointed when Woodward signd Mata. As I didnt think Mata was the right style or fit for the team. But over the years the player and man warmed to me.

CallyRed

Mata and the attributes he brought, wasn't right for us.
Di Maria mentality wise wasn't right for us

Could add Veron but stylistically I loved him as a player and can't bring myself round to it.

Tiber

Pogba
Di Maria
Mata
Veron
Berbatov
Webb
Birtles

Di Maria was a far worse signing than Mata or Berbatov. By a hell of a long way.

Pickle85

Sancho. Done absolutely nothing so far. Including signing officially.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Did Veron have a good career after United or did he flop and play to a level like he always ended up doing?

spaceboyRSA

I stopped reading at Mata and Berbatov as the worst flops.
There is a whole spectrum between flop and outright success. Mata and Berbatov are somewhere in the middle

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Why the negativity? Strange thread. Personally I’m optimistic for the new season especially with Sancho Varane and Ronaldo signing. :D

Furthermore, Pogba, Mata and Berba have no place anywhere near this thread.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Pogba
Di Maria
Mata
Veron
Berbatov
Webb
Birtles

How did Berba find his way on your list? Odd.

ADM was the most disappointing of the rest, by a large margin at that.

jesperjaap

Personally speaking, the last 15years plus, the majority of our biggest signings were dissapointing WHEN we signed them as I didnt think they were the right fit and wanted other players.

Veron was a quality midfielder that we didnt really need at the time and I wanted Edgar Davids anyway myself
Mata was a great number 10 at Chelsea when we had Rooney and didnt fit our style of play, was another quality but wrong player like Kagawa

People rightly slating DiMarias attitude at the end but saying Veron had moments of quality....so did DiMaria. i thoght he was ecellent the first few months in midfield, got an injury and when he came back LVG moved him out wide, he was less effective, didnt look happy, then came the burglary and he was off....at the time I wanted Alexis SAnchez then he went to Arsenal.....now he is undoubtedly the biggest disappointment for me here, fantastic player that was truly awful for us

For me the two biggest disapointments were Berbatov and Pogba. They have played a lot better than others people are mentioning.....but most disappointing for me, as they are the two players I thought would be really really good for us and be the huge signings we paid for, both have been ok, but neither have set the world alight here, all the rest I didnt expect huge amounts from

Oh and not quite a record and I know he is getting lots of plaudits.....Lukaku was always a bad signing

All bad signings though when you go back to previous record or huge signings like Robson, Keane, Ferdinand, Rooney....coincidence they have bene British?

UpWithRivers

Sanchez by a mile. I dont care he was free. We still paid signing on fee + agent fees + the biggest wages in our history. Add it together and it somewhere around 66 mill. IThe reported stats might not be totally accurate but it doesnt matter it a sht load - 13 mill per goal, 7.3 ill per assist, 1.5 mill just to put on the shirt. Plus we had to pay him a sht load to play for Inter and hep then towards a title. Complete and utter failure in every way possible.

Irrational.

Lukaku has got to be up there. His finishing was decent but for the fee we paid, his ball control was bordering on amateurish at times. Ruined attack after attack, and his bulky (fat?) frame at the time completely robbed him of his pace and explosiveness which was one of the main reasons we bought him. Add this to the lack of professionalism, thin skin and constant moaning after he left which left a sour taste in the mouth.

So we ended up with a slow, chonky striker with terrible ball control for £90 million.

GuyfromAustria

How did Berba find his way on your list? Odd.
Because he is one of the few players who was a record signing. Half the answers (or more actually) in this thread didn't even read the title properly. :lol:

And of course, Di Maria was the worst.

jesperjaap

Pogba.

Loved watching him come through the youth. Amazing talent and got swept up in the hype when we signed him back.
Thought he'll be a driving force in our midfield etc
How wrong was I. Disappointing to say the least.

A lot of fans will say Veron but for me personally I didnt expect much from him. Watched him loads in Serie A and although talented I doubted he would adapt to the fast and frentic pace of the Premiership...also I didnt find him better than Keane or Scholes.

I was disappointed when Woodward signd Mata. As I didnt think Mata was the right style or fit for the team. But over the years the player and man warmed to me.
Totally agree, the thread isnt the biggest flops, but disappointments and personally feel very much the same as you

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I'd say Di Maria, especially from a personal point of view.

Whilst I had a feeling that Mata wouldn't really work out, I felt that Berbatov was quite bad. And it interrupted our forward trio I felt.
Veron - I really liked him so much and was excited when he joined. It was worth a try

Idxomer

Di Maria.

He was at his peak and good enough to succeed at United and unlike some of the others, he didn't take a step down after leaving.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Has to be Di Maria in terms of let-down-factor. He did bugger all on the pitch, got benched by Young, sulked, then forced his way out at a 15m loss after just a few months.

Pogba was a world record fee and hasn’t come close to justifying it, and unless something unexpected happens will leave on a free next year. It says a lot that he still isn’t the most disappointing big money signing we’ve made recently.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I stopped reading at Mata and Berbatov as the worst flops.
There is a whole spectrum between flop and outright success. Mata and Berbatov are somewhere in the middle
You didn’t even read that far. Most disappointing and only including record transfers. You might consider them all a success on a sliding scale….who’s at the bottom. It’s not rocket science.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Let’s not pretend Berbatov wasn’t a disappointment. Flop is debatable, but he wasn’t as good as any of us hoped he would be.

stw2022

Berbatov for me. Not because he was a bad player or because his goals record wasn’t very good but because his introduction was kind of jarring to the free-flowing, expressive, attacking football we had started to develop. I never saw the need for him or for a type of player like him at the time.

Pavl3n

Pogba
Di Maria
Mata
Veron
Berbatov
Webb
Birtles

While Berbatov didn't live up to the expectation of great signing I wouldn't call his transfer disappointing.
We won the league twice with him in the team and in 10/11 he was the league's top scorer.

Only for this hat-trick I can't call him disappointing.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
While Berbatov didn't live up to the expectation of great signing I wouldn't call his transfer disappointing.
We won the league twice with him in the team and in 10/11 he was the league's top scorer.

Only for this hat-trick I can't call him disappointing.

That’s fair….I just expected Cantona reincarnate. He was better for us than a few of the other names on my list….but a bigger disappointment

Andersonson

Veron was good, just not good enough to replace what we already had.

Di Maria didnt fancy it here and had about one good game.

Mata wasnt a better player than Rooney but miles ahead of Kagawa. Has done a decent job for us.