Most disappointing record transfer….

cyril C

You named 4 players none of whom were record transfers.

"Highest wages" is a different thing and would be impossible to really compare, given individual player wages are not ever disclosed.
OK the other names was not appropriate.

But Sanchez has to be a record. Whether the payment is spread over several years, for a free transfer, or genuine wage. The Club will be paying X million over 3-4 years, regardless of paying to counterpart or players or agents.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
OK the other names was not appropriate.

But Sanchez has to be a record. Whether the payment is spread over several years, for a free transfer, or genuine wage. The Club will be paying X million over 3-4 years, regardless of paying to counterpart or players or agents.
That's all fair. Apologies for seeming like the forum police, looking at my posts they come across far less light hearted than intended.

I'm just not used to anyone other than Chelsea making really bad signings!

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
While it's not for a transfer fee, Sanchez holds the record for the largest contract ever given to a premier league player. And considering how bad he was and the damage that contract did in terms of player demands, add into the fact we paid 60% of his wages for him to play for another club for a year and then around 10 million to get him to leave, nothing rivals that in terms of a disastrous record transfer.

Last edited:

M Bison

Supports
York City
Lukaku was a massive disappointment, I thought he was ideal for us and would go on to be our no 9 for years but quickly gained weight and struggled for form, albeit in a disjointed team.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I think it depends on how you view the disappointment. For me with Veron the disappointment came when we sold him. He had moments of pure brilliance. We never figured out how to use him. With Mata for example I just think, Juanfield aside, he’s been largely forgettable.
Could say the same for Pogba, if he is sold. That would also be a big mistake.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Sanchez was crap, Di Maria a shocking buy, Veron I'd never heard of and he was so out of his depth at United it was laughable.
You’d never heard of Veron in 2001? He was seen as one of the best midfielders in the world. It was a very exciting signing at the time.

cyril C

That's all fair. Apologies for seeming like the forum police, looking at my posts they come across far less light hearted than intended.

I'm just not used to anyone other than Chelsea making really bad signings!
Regarding bad signing, and without looking into details and cross checking, my gut feeling said MU is the worst in past 20 years, may be slightly above Spurs. Arsenal, Liverpool, City and Chelsea are better than us. Spurs has been poor all alone, expensive as well as bargain signing. Liverpool squandered their fortune from Torres and Suresh but still got a few right. City was hardly wrong, and Chelsea got more right than wrong. We can count our right with 2 hands and end up as traders.

Kaos

I remember being gutted when we opted for Lukaku over Morata. The latter wasn’t exactly a revelation at Chelsea but at the time I genuinely thought us and Chelsea got paired with the wrong strikers, and part of me would have always been curious to see how Morata would have done with us.

Mata was also a little disappointing but his overhead kick at Anfield and the fact he’s the most likeable footballer ever makes me feel bad to categorise him as such.

Di Maria for obvious reasons.

Andeva

Supports
FK Haugesund
Regarding bad signing, and without looking into details and cross checking, my gut feeling said MU is the worst in past 20 years, may be slightly above Spurs. Arsenal, Liverpool, City and Chelsea are better than us. Spurs has been poor all alone, expensive as well as bargain signing. Liverpool squandered their fortune from Torres and Suresh but still got a few right. City was hardly wrong, and Chelsea got more right than wrong. We can count our right with 2 hands and end up as traders.
Worst in the past 20 years? This makes me think about Football Weeklys new obsession about recency bias. Adjust it to past 10 years, and you'll have a case with Man Utd being among the worst of the bunch, together with Tottenham and Arsenal. I'm not even sure if Arsenal count at this point. But both City and Liverpool had some weird ones 2001-2011. That Roy Hodgson and Daglish era was the best. Hughes also made some questionable signings, a classic case of throwing enough mud at a wall and hoping for something to stick. However, City needed to break trough to the top, so it was somewhat justified. In the same period, Man Utd were excellent.

Reactions: Invictus
At least we offloaded veron for only a small loss and he was pretty crap for Chelsea too. Ruthless Fergie strikes again. That’s how you keep players on their toes!
Small loss! 50% less than we paid for him. We were very lucky Roman was throwing money around, otherwise we wouldn’t even have got £15m for him.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
At least we offloaded veron for only a small loss and he was pretty crap for Chelsea too. Ruthless Fergie strikes again. That’s how you keep players on their toes!
If you bought a house and then sold it a year later for 50% of what you paid for it, would you consider that "a small loss"?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
If you bought a house and then sold it a year later for 50% of what you paid for it, would you consider that "a small loss"?
Not really the best analogy. A car would be better. It wasn’t a year either.

Devil81

Some great calls in this thread, Veron, Berba and Pogba for me though, all three had me mega excited as a fan but in truth they all didn't or haven't delivered to the level we expected.

As for Di Maria, he didn't want to be at United from day one in my opinion so I don't even consider him part of our club, that's how much I disliked the guy in the end I've mentally erased his part at the club. Watching him avoid tackles in his last few appearances was shameful and Van Gaal was right to eventually phase him out of the team.

On a personal note I was a huge fan of Falcao before United and even though we knew he had a major injury before coming to the club we all still got the buzz of excitement we may have got a player we wouldn't have likely got without the injury. Remember the excitement around Old Trafford before his debut against QPR, then week on week making excuses for him before eventually holding my hands up and saying he shouldn't be anywhere near the pitch in his condition.

yamo123x

Harsh to choose Berba,

Di Maria is the stand out here, utter mercenary. Didnt even wanna play here.

Strelok

For me it must be Pogba.

We paid a record £89m for him hoping he'd be the epicenter of our rebuild, the one who can lead us back to our glorious days.

Now it's 5 years and we're still debating what is his best position. And we may very well lose him on a free, again. We'll be the laughing stock of the football world.

I have nothing against the lad, simply pure disappointment.

Tacitus56AD

Supports
Bayern Munich
It was not really a record-transfer, but considering the price - Coutinho scoring 2 goals in a 8-2 CL-knockoutstage win against Barca must be near top.

Ibrahimorich

Sanchez. Our worst ever signing. And before you say he wasn't a club record, he was being paid club record wages :p

Veron but more because he was probably the best midfielder of his type in the world at the time and he had some fantastic matches… he obviously didn’t hate the U.K. as he moved to Chelsea after United. I think the premier league and SAF was just 3-4 years behind him.. if we had a player like him from 2006 onwards, it might just be us remembered more than Barca. Because by that time SAF had got used to playing with a 3 and carrick , while very good, was like a Mercedes S class compared to Veron who was a Rolls Royce.

Most disgusting record signing is Di Maria. Getting robbed was obviously very sad and traumatic, but it happens to players in France, in Italy at gun point. And none end up hating the club and country.

Pogba been very good when played propetly, Ole needs to put talent above McFred

Veron was good, just not good enough to replace what we already had.

Di Maria didnt fancy it here and had about one good game.

Mata wasnt a better player than Rooney but miles ahead of Kagawa. Has done a decent job for us.
I have to disagree. IMO, by the time Kagawa joined he was the better option for the number 10 spot above Rooney. Rooney in his prime was obviously much better than both. But by 2013, people had started that number 10 malarkey about Rooney (when that failed they then started the next Pirlo be) , he never was that type of player. He’d make the wrong pass, ignore obvious 1-2s and overlaps, and resort to that same, slow, predictable ping ball to the wing that the commentators would marvel at but really it just allowed the opposition to reposition and never opened up anything.

Under Moyes our best football was played when kagawa and mata started, but Moyes was too blindly loyal to Rooney.

Mindhunter

While it's not for a transfer fee, Sanchez holds the record for the largest contract ever given to a premier league player. And considering how bad he was and the damage that contract did in terms of player demands, add into the fact we paid 60% of his wages for him to play for another club for a year and then around 10 million to get him to leave, nothing rivals that in terms of a disastrous record transfer.
You forgot about the money we spent in buying a piano. Maybe it can be an artefact in the museum now.

Under Moyes our best football was played when kagawa and mata started, but Moyes was too blindly loyal to Rooney.
Had to go back and look this up because it sounded completely wrong.

Kagawa and Mata started 4 league games together. Rooney also started 3 of them (up front, so not even in the number 10 position - he didn't start being completely useless there until 2015/16, which was also when he decided he was now a DM) and he scored 4 goals in those 3. Rooney was also by far our best player that season.

And anyway, the post you quoted was comparing Mata and Kagawa. And there's really no reasonable argument you could make in favor of Kagawa based on anything either of them did at United, before coming to United, or after leaving.