Most exciting signing?

RedRevongge

With rumours circulating over a possible move for Ibrahimovic, who would you say is the most exciting signing we have made since you have supported United?

This isn't a thread for necessarily the best signing, just the ones that gave an unprecedented level of excitement at the time of signing, even if that went downhill after.

Here are a few that excited me in recent years:

Falcao : We all expected great things, it never materialised
Angel Di Maria : Record signing, one of the best in the world
Robin Van Persie : Coming off a great season, fantastic player
Rooney : Best 18 year old in the world signing
Anderson : A lot of hype at the time
Ronaldo : Again a lot of hype for a young player when he signed
Veron : One of the best midfielders in the world

Who were the players that most excited you when they signed?

ZupZup

Probably Andy Cole for me... also really enjoyed the whole Berbatov drama on deadline day.

Truedevil

Juan Mata takes all.

Also the Falcao and Di Maria summer was super fun and even the "lesser" signings like Shaw, Blind, Rojo and Herrera were very exciting.

eggwithsideburns

I remember being super excited about Rooney, RVP too because it was a big signing out of nowhere.

Man-United

Rooney, RvP, Berbatov and Rio. Also Tevez, but most of it because the wait to find out with West Ham and the Icelandic owner not wanting to sell even though he was Kia's player. Weird story all over.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Andy Cole for me too. Read it in the paper. Giddy as feck. £7m seemed like an eye-watering amount of money.

RVP a few years ago too. It felt like we'd won the league before the season even started. No way we were going to be stopped after that.

Von Mistelroum

Cantona was pretty huge for me. I grew up near Leeds and all of my friends were Leeds fans who idolised him. I remember trying to convince them that Kanchelskis was better :P I couldn't believe it when I heard they'd sold him to us!

Similarly, when I got home from college to flick Sky Sports on, only to discover we'd bought Andy Cole out of the blue.....That was pretty exciting. I'd only just that day been reading jealously through an article in a football magazine about his time at Newcastle too.

After those, probably RVP and Di Maria, oh and Veron.

RedRevongge

Rooney, RvP, Berbatov and Rio. Also Tevez, but most of it because the wait to find out with West Ham and the Icelandic owner not wanting to sell even though he was Kia's player. Weird story all over.
Tevez is a decent shout too. I almost erased the memory of him being a United player. I think it helped that we had the prospect of him AND Ronaldo AND Rooney when he signed. I was also on holiday when he signed so I was in a pretty excitable mood anyway

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
Of recent times I was excited we got Falcao and I thought he could be the player to get 20+ goals for us.
Shaw and Schneiderlin I wanted and still think both wil lcome good for us.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
For me, it has to be Ruud Van Nistlerooy.
We pretty much knew that we were buying one of the best finishers in the World.

Devil81

Andy Cole - My school teacher broke the news to us during wet play, was buzzing at the time.
RVP - Massive signing for the club.
Cantona - Just knew he was something special.
Falcao - Honestly thought we'd signed a goal machine, never realised someone could decline so badly and fast from injury.

Man-United

Yorke is another one being very happy about and even though it was a lot of money it was worth it for the club.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Henrik Larsson, I loved that player.

Loon

:lol:
I remember Robson, but didn't realize what a magnificent beast he was at the time. I remember thinking "fecking hell, Leeds have sold us Cantona!" though.

CM

I thought signing van Persie was pretty cool, with the added bonus of weakening Arsenal and pissing off their fans. His first season here went like a dream.

The di Maria signing was definitely the most exciting though - the first time in a while we had signed someone who genuinely had that superstar vibe about them. In his first month or so here, he really looked as though he could turn this team around. Where did it all go wrong? :(

Glory Glory Denis Irwin

Glory Glory Denis Irwin
Was really taken in by the Rio signing back in 2002, to the extent that I went to OT with a mate for his unveiling (was in school still at the time). Was certain he was going to be one of the best defenders in the world, and thankfully wasn't wrong!

Eddy_JukeZ

RVP for me.

Getting Arsenal's best player and snatching him from Wenger too. A few months after the heartbreak in which we lost the Prem. Nothing can top that for me. I was certain we'd win the league when we signed him.

Oaencha

I'm going to get slated but I was really excited when we signed Jordi Cruyff. Thought he was a bargain for a couple of million. It's a shame that talent isn't hereditary.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Ronaldo until my Dad told me it wasn't the Brazilian one. RvP was the other one because he was very hyped up but it was touch and go with his knee problem.

dead joe

Veron and Berbatov for me. Beautiful players to watch, i was drooling all over the place.

Edit : Barthez too. I loved his antics in France, but he was also a very good player. I had complete faith in him becoming Schmeichel's successor at the time.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

1st: Cantona, by a country mile too.

2nd: Keane, probably the biggest talent in the country at the time we signed him.

3rd: Berbatov, i believed he was destined for greatness.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
RvP, I basically knew we won the league that day. Being the pragmatic I'm I was also excited for Carrick, Hargreaves and Schneiderlin.