Most Iconic Footballer Ever (& Football Image)

Champagne Football

Beckham covers his body in tattoos - 1 week later every professional footballer in the world covers their body in tattoos.

Beckham sports a new hair style - 1 week later half the footballers in the world copy the hair style.

Beckham at his peak was truly iconic. Hanging out with Hollywood A listers. The problem was that he was never the same player once he left Utd. He was greatest set piece taker of all time and Kevin De Bruyne level at Utd, but as soon as he left he just became another squad player at Madrid who once in a while could contribute something impressive. So his hype as a footballer evaporated quickly enough at a Madrid.

Ronaldinho could have been far more iconic had he not lost the hunger to be the best so quickly. Messi is iconic but he's been average by his standards for a long time now. If CR7 dragged Juventus to a CL triumph on his own then that would increase his legendary status too.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Gazza is definitely central to a couple of of my most memorable images: the Vinny Jones bollock crush and tears at Italia '90.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Surely Ronaldo, most IG followers in the world, not amongst footballers, but more than anyone else on the planet at 241 million.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Tardelli celebration 1982, Bebeto and friends rocking the baby, any image of Socrates with his sweatband.

Okay these aren't THE most iconic images but they've all already been taken so I'm just naming other notables.

From a United perspective the lineup photo against Red Star.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Maradona, most of his famous pictures are great shots and easily recognisable and widely shown. He had that swagger too, great great player.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Most iconic/recognisable image that doesn't have a player in it? (in Britain at least)

KwokSF

Pele for old generation, Maradona for the less old gen
Beckham and Zidane for the middle age
Messi and Ronaldo for young gen

Guy Incognito

Think this was voted 'best photo' in the Premier League's 10 seasons awards. Owen's miss against....Manchester United.

Gonçalo Motta

In a couple of years pretty sure Ronaldo / Messi will be considered the most iconic duo.
Although I think that Becks and Cantona are good shouts, I seriously doubt that many people would mention their names outside of the man utd universe for the most iconic players ever.

Right now I think Maradona is probably the most iconic player

Bennz McCarthey17

Supports
Africa
Cristiano is clearly the most iconic footballer currently. His sii celebration is copied by other professional athletes in other sports, let alone young amateur footballers.

Bestietom

I was having a think about this as I thought it was an interesting question as to who is the most iconic (not necessarily best) footballer ever. I came up with three suggestions: Pele, Maradona and Ronaldinho. It may depend on different generations who they find the most iconic (out of those who I have chosen or in general) but for me the first player which came into mind when I thought about this question was Ronaldinho so I'm going to stick with that.

What about everyone else? Opinions?

Also on a slight tangent, another interesting question is most iconic football images. For me it might be the following photo:

Pele or George Best.

sparx99

IMO, what Suarez did was a d**k move. But he was sent off and Ghana got a penalty. I would say justice was done.
It certainly does not compare with Maradona's hand of God or Thierry Henry's handball or South Korea against Italy, in which there was no justice done.

A discussion not for this thread anyways.
Lampards goal against Germany is another

fps

IMO, what Suarez did was a d**k move. But he was sent off and Ghana got a penalty. I would say justice was done.
It certainly does not compare with Maradona's hand of God or Thierry Henry's handball or South Korea against Italy, in which there was no justice done.

A discussion not for this thread anyways.
VAR would have disallowed for offside anyway. I found it hilarious in any case!

fezzerUTD

Asked my partner who doesn’t know much about football. She said Eric Cantona, David Beckham and Alan Shearer. :D

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Some celebrations standing for the whole moment

Oh, and

Last edited:

R77

You really see something new every time

ha
Yup. Just noticed there's another guy in that just turns around and walks off in an amusing manner in the top right. The gift that keeps on giving.