3. Link
4. Pikachu
5. Pac-man
6. Master Chef
7. Princess Peach
8. Luigi
9. Yoshi
10. Snake

Having a hard time looking past this myself. Lara Croft wouldn't even get in the top 10 imo.

https://www.bafta.org/games/most-iconic-game-character-of-all-time

Looking at the full list though I'm assuming Zoomers were highly represented in the voting because there are a lot of recent games in there.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Wow, your username finally makes sense. You're playing Tetris and need the long one, "Sweet, square!" you shout as it appears at the top of your screen, and then it becomes clear you always struggled with your shapes growing up.

hobbers

Not just a lame top pick. Agent 47 was 3rd and Sackboy 5th :lol:

Embarrassing voters

Munkehboi

Its the BAFTAs. Majority likely British voters so not surprised its Lara Croft. Means very little in the grand scheme of things. Flip that around to Japan, China, USA etc and you'll have very contrasting lists. From Mario to Master Cheif to Spyro I'd say.

My top 10 would go:

Mario
Sonic
Pikachu
Pac Man
Donkey Kong
Ryu
Kratos
Link
Solid Snake
Chocobo

hobbers

Sonic, Mario, Pikachu, Snake, Lance Vance, Donkey Kong, Master Chief, Capt Price, Ezio, Trevor

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
BG3 is a phenomenal game, but no chance in hell does it have two of the top 20 most iconic video game characters ever.

Raphael probably gets into the top 50 for his boss fight music alone, though. :wenger:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I get the Lara Croft pick in a way. It caused a stir for a variety of levels - female lead, hyper sexualization at first, inspired multiple live action movies and the games themselves were pretty groundbreaking - especially in the early days. I remember gaming magazines have everything Tomb Raider front and center so many times.

Mario and Sonic are obviously well ahead when it comes to overall household recognition probably, but then again - they also have the benefit of representing/being a mascot of the actual platforms that brought them to living rooms for the first time - in part by pre packaging their games with the purchase of the respective consoles. So yeah, I get the Lara Croft thing. For those who didn't actively experience the 90s I can see how they may question that decision more.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Which series are they from?
1. Mario
2. Sonic
3. Link
4. Pikachu
5. Pac-man
6. Master Chef
7. Princess Peach
8. Luigi
9. Yoshi
10. Snake

Having a hard time looking past this myself. Lara Croft wouldn't even get in the top 10 imo.

https://www.bafta.org/games/most-iconic-game-character-of-all-time

Looking at the full list though I'm assuming Zoomers were highly represented in the voting because there are a lot of recent games in there.
Master Chef really cooked them covenant.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Wolfenstein's B.J. Blazkowicz, Doom marine and Duke Nukem.

The Expendables of gaming.

Mike Smalling

Do they have to be video game original characters, or can they come from other forms of media adapted into games?

If the latter is ok, I'd say Geralt of Rivia belongs somewhere on a Top 20 list.

diarm

To be fair, she did transcend gaming into mainstream consciousness in a way that few gaming characters have managed. It's easy for gamers to laugh at the list, but ask a non-gamer for their top 5 and nobody is picking Ryu, Master Chief, Kratos or Solid Snake.

I'd argue Mario and Sonic are more iconic, and perhaps Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Crash Bandicoot and Link are all as iconic as her. But you'd be hard pressed to argue for many others.

Pikachu is more iconic as well, but Pokemon was more than just a video game for a lot of people. I know Tomb Raider, Sonic and Mario have movies now as well, but those all came later. For many, Pikachu became iconic long before they played, or even without ever having played the games.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
We all lost our masturbatory virginity to Lara Croft.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
To be fair, she did transcend gaming into mainstream consciousness in a way that few gaming characters have managed. It's easy for gamers to laugh at the list, but ask a non-gamer for their top 5 and nobody is picking Ryu, Master Chief, Kratos or Solid Snake.

I'd argue Mario and Sonic are more iconic, and perhaps Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Crash Bandicoot and Link are all as iconic as her. But you'd be hard pressed to argue for many others.

Pikachu is more iconic as well, but Pokemon was more than just a video game for a lot of people. I know Tomb Raider, Sonic and Mario have movies now as well, but those all came later. For many, Pikachu became iconic long before they played, or even without ever having played the games.
To be fair, I think you could say the same about Lara Croft and I wouldn't be surprised if more people knew her because of those Lucozade commercials back in the day than through the Tomb Raider games. She was marketed heavily in the 90s.

Also everyone knows Angelina Jolie played her in the movies and that in itself is a big thing because Jolie was a huge star/sex symbol/Brad Pitt's wife at the time.

Still, good points overall. Croft certainly transcends the gamer/non-gamer demographics.

Andy_Cole

The title just says characters rather than video game characters.

Probably add in the following:

Homer Simpson
Micky Mouse
Scooby Doo
Harry Potter
Gandalf
Darth Vadar
Batman
Spider-Man

And a load more that’s slipped my mind