Most important match since 2008 Champions League Final

van Persie

While I very much want United to finish in a CL position for obvious reasons, it must not be an end product.
The objective had to be to challenge for and win both the PL and CL.

And I do feel that we at least have a basis from which to move forward with.
Whether Ole is really the answer remains to be seen.
But I have mixed views as to whether he is.

In reality we still have a huge mountain to climb.
And a very long way to go on coaching, preparation, tactics and overall club strategy, including the means to deliver that strategy.
Ole is the answer. He's maximizing the squad that he's provided which is completely and utterly trash thanks to Moyes, Mourinho and van Gaal. He needs one transfer window to build his team. No issues with the tactics whatsoever. He's working with what he got.

Time for the club to back him.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Ole is the answer. He's maximizing the squad that he's provided which is completely and utterly trash thanks to Moyes, Mourinho and van Gaal. He needs one transfer window to build his team. No issues with the tactics whatsoever. He's working with what he got.

Time for the club to back him.
Up until I read 'no issues with tactics' I was interested....
After I read that I gave up.
In the main, our tactics are naive at best.
Ole is very far from being a good tactician.
Full stop.

lysglimt

Scout
I would go so far as to say that OGS future as United-manager depends on us reaching C.L - not because he will get fired if we don't, but because we need that extra cash to get the proper players in. C.L-football and the sale of 4-5 of our not wanted players could raise well over £100 million - and that alone would cover Sancho and a bit more.

RkkMan

We would still have the Europa to try and do it so not all would be gone. Really we have been woeful this season and so have the other 2 clubs we have been fighting with so if we didn't do it then so be it.
If we put our eggs in the EL basket there will be A LOT of pressure on the players to win it and we have all seen they crumble when they are under a certain amount of pressure plus there`s some very good teams in the EL like Sevilla, Roma and Inter it will be two times harder to win it this time compared to 2017. Its a much safer bet with top 4 IMO at best we have a 40% chance of winning the EL unless we get top 4 first then approach it as a bonus/relaxed

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Can we have a title change please? It's a worthy thread, if it was slightly less exaggerated. It's a huge game and test of character for the team, and most importantly, a test to see what Ole is made of.

But let's change this to something more fitting.

Dante

Average bang
You could just about make a case for this being the most important game since the 2011 CL final.

We've obviously qualified for the CL a few times since Fergie left. And we've also played in FA Cup and EL final matches since then. But those games were all under managers who never had the potential to be long term appointments, and whose success was never going to be the defining philosophy for Manchester United for the following 5+ years.

Ole has created a very young squad that could be at the start of something big. In that respect, their ability to take the next step could be huge for their evolution into a great team.

But I think the fact that we still have the Europa League to play means that tomorrow's do-or-die significance is undercut a little bit. It's still important, but that safety net means it's not as important as the OP is making out.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Bigger matches since then

Champions League Semi-Final 2009 2nd leg vs Arsenal
Champions League Final 2009 vs Barcelona
Champions League Quarter Final 2010 2nd leg vs Bayern

... let's skip forward

Champions League Quarter-Final 2nd leg 2014 vs Bayern
Premier League 2016 matches vs Man City and Tottenham
Europa League 2017 final vs Bayern

Biggest under Ole's stewardship?

van Persie

Up until I read 'no issues with tactics' I was interested....
After I read that I gave up.
In the main, our tactics are naive at best.
Ole is very far from being a good tactician.
Full stop.
How the feck are our tactics naive? He's working with a squad that is utterly trash compared to our standards. Ole didn't sign a bunch of donkeys like LvG, Moyes and Mourinho did. All pathetic managers.
'
Ole is doing it the United way which is what Manchester United is supposed to be. If you can't see that you're supporting the wrong club. We're heading the right way. End.

Last edited:

fezzerUTD

If we put our eggs in the EL basket there will be A LOT of pressure on the players to win it and we have all seen they crumble when they are under a certain amount of pressure plus there`s some very good teams in the EL like Sevilla, Roma and Inter it will be two times harder to win it this time compared to 2017. Its a much safer bet with top 4 IMO at best we have a 40% chance of winning the EL unless we get top 4 first then approach it as a bonus/relaxed
I'm not sure you realise maybe so, but your reply was nothing to do with what I wrote.

Valuedrug

A bit over the top, but it could have big ramifications for the way the club develops over the medium term. I just don't trust this squad (or manager for that matter) to deliver at crunch time in a knock out tournament, where teams like Inter are competing. So if we lose out tomorrow, I think that's United staying in the Europa League unfortunately.

That would be quite the blow to our recruitment opportunities in my opinion. Which in itself could significantly affect the motivation and career planning of a number of the players. So not only could we miss out on the key players needed to make this squad relevant for the title within the next couple of years, but it could also destabilize the current crop of players. Not to mention the hit to our finances.

So yeah. Big game this.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Tomorrow's game is huge on so many levels I don't even know where to begin. After working their socks off to get us back into a CL qualifying position, considering where we were after 15 games or so, the players will be devastated if it all goes to pot tomorrow.

We're 14 games unbeaten in the league, imagine losing that hot streak on the final day of the season and missing out on CL football in the process.
Ah come on, are we really worthy of being in the CL?
Even if we are tomorrow's game is not a bigger game than a CL final.
Also even if we lose tomorrow we could still qualify as Chelsea may lose or we may win the Europa.
Its an important game sure but that's it.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s a massive game for the future of the club and for any plans going forward. We are on the verge of becoming a Europa League mainstay and that eventually sticks. With so many teams challenging, it’s vital we are back in the mix and our name is pulled out of the hat with the other elites.

Tomorrow is an absolutely massive game in the history of the club. It’s getting to common not to be sat at the top table and that needs to end tomorrow.

No point playing it down, it’s absolutely massive.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Ah come on, are we worthy of being in the CL?
Even if we are tomorrow's game is not a bigger game than a CL final.
Also even if we lose tomorrow we could still qualify as Chelsea may lose or we may win the Europa.
Its an important game sure but that's it.
Sure, we're worthy of the CL if we qualify by finishing in the top four. I also believe our best starting eleven can compete with the majority of teams we will face in it, too, especially with a few squad additions.

No one said this game was bigger than a CL final, but it's a huge game nevertheless. The biggest we've played in years given the circumstances.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
How the feck are our tactics naive? He's working with a squad that is utterly trash compared to our standards. Ole didn't sign a bunch of donkeys like LvG, Moyes and Mourinho did. All pathetic managers.
'
Ole is doing it the United way which is what Manchester United is supposed to be. If you can't see that you're supporting the wrong club. We're heading the right way. End.
Maybe when you grow up, you will realise that not everyone sees things through your rose tinted glasses.

Dan_F

Weren’t we in exactly the same position under LvG against West Ham. Had to beat them away to get in the Champions League. Maybe I’m remembering it wrong, but I definitely remember having zero faith in us getting a result that night.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Love this thread and this game is vital. Isn’t the whole point of being a fan also about cherishing landmark games to its fullest, both in disappointment and joy.

el3mel

Weren’t we in exactly the same position under LvG against West Ham. Had to beat them away to get in the Champions League. Maybe I’m remembering it wrong, but I definitely remember having zero faith in us getting a result that night.
Yes. We dropped a big stinker this night. Outplayed by WHU after we led 2-1. Terrible days.

There's a reason I hated the LVG reign so much.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Sure, we're worthy of the CL if we qualify by finishing in the top four. I also believe our best starting eleven can compete with the majority of teams we will face in it, too, especially with a few squad additions.

No one said this game was bigger than a CL final, but it's a huge game nevertheless. The biggest we've played in years given the circumstances.
The title of the thread is "Biggest game since the 08 CL final".
That certainly implies that its bigger than the 09 & 2011 CL finals.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Yeah but that game was their last game in Upton Park and those pricks were wound up by their rabid 'fans' that they rose their game even higher than they normally do against us.
There will be no fans in the Kingpower.