Most important match since 2008 Champions League Final

Irrational.

I hate this trend where every match is the most important of all time, every signing is potentially the biggest ever, and every single event is a historic turning point.

It's just a game of football. Yeah, missing out on the CL would suck but that won't be certain until we get knocked out of the EL as well. And even if we finish 5th and fail in the EL, life and football will go on.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
I just cannot get this total obsession with scraping a top 4 place. People wanted to sack the fa cup semi final off just to give us a bit more rest for a shot at the top 4 trophy. Financially it mattered 10 years ago but not so much now.
Obviously prefer to be champions league but what matters is winning stuff. Spurs have got top 4 the last few years and won sweet f a. Now they are on the downgrade and their fans would swap their top 4s for a league cup in a heartbeat.
Also we can attract players like Sancho with or without.

red4ever 79

I thought the 2017 Europa final was the most important match since the 2008 final. Actually we are talking about the same thing, qualifying for the champions league. Sunday is a must not lose match

Squeaky Bumtime

I just cannot get this total obsession with scraping a top 4 place. People wanted to sack the fa cup semi final off just to give us a bit more rest for a shot at the top 4 trophy. Financially it mattered 10 years ago but not so much now.
Obviously prefer to be champions league but what matters is winning stuff. Spurs have got top 4 the last few years and won sweet f a. Now they are on the downgrade and their fans would swap their top 4s for a league cup in a heartbeat.
Not exactly. No CL money, Adidas closes the pipe if we're 2 years out of CL in a row, prestige. Sure we can attract players without it but with CL it would be a lot easier. And I dont think Sancho would want to come to play in EL and who would blame him.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
rNot sure why so many people are taking the piss out of the OP. It's a huge match for you. Fail to get CL and potential transfer targets will question a move, trust in Ole will ultimately lessen in terms of the fans and the board, failure to deliver on CL after splashing out on big transfers in the summer etc. There are lots of things to think of.

The reshuffling of managers is a reason why you are in the position that you are too - too many managers with very different systems has caused an unbalance in your squad and a reason why there are many players you need to try and move on/have poor back-up.

Siorac

rNot sure why so many people are taking the piss out of the OP. It's a huge match for you. Fail to get CL and potential transfer targets will question a move, trust in Ole will ultimately lessen in terms of the fans and the board, failure to deliver on CL after splashing out on big transfers in the summer etc. There are lots of things to think of.

The reshuffling of managers is a reason why you are in the position that you are too - too many managers with very different systems has caused an unbalance in your squad and a reason why there are many players you need to try and move on/have poor back-up.
We failed to get CL several times in the last seven years - presumably, every single time we could have grabbed it but we didn't was the "most important game since Moscow".

It's an important game, sure. But again, there's no need for the sensationalist hyperbole. The top 4 changes every season, the only constant over the last decade was Manchester City. We don't make it this year, we might make it next year. If Ole doesn't work out, maybe the next manager will.

And I can't stress it enough that even if we lose at Leicester - which I 100% think we'll do, by the way -, we'll still have the Europa League. So it's not even our last chance to qualify for the CL this season.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
We failed to get CL several times in the last seven years - presumably, every single time we could have grabbed it but we didn't was the "most important game since Moscow".

It's an important game, sure. But again, there's no need for the sensationalist hyperbole. The top 4 changes every season, the only constant over the last decade was Manchester City. We don't make it this year, we might make it next year. If Ole doesn't work out, maybe the next manager will.

And I can't stress it enough that even if we lose at Leicester - which I 100% think we'll do, by the way -, we'll still have the Europa League. So it's not even our last chance to qualify for the CL this season.
Yeah, and a reason you've failed to get it in the last 7 years is because of the constant fail - splurge - fail - splurge cycle with different managers who buy different players to suit them. Get CL with Ole and that puts you in a hugely different position to EL.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Even if getting top 4 was important enough to justify the thread title (it's not), the fact remains that it would still be possible to lose and still get in, so it can't be that important.

Superunknown

If we get the right result against Leicester, then we will be on the up and many of us will be optimistic for next season.

If we don't get the right result or the one that we need, we will be sad/angry/disappointed/fecked off for a while, but the club will carry on. It's an important game, but we will opportunities for the top four next year and so on. We weren't even in this position months ago, and you could argue that our form has been so inconsistent over the course of the year that getting Top 4 from some of the positions that we have been in will be lucky as hell.

Of course, I hope we do it, but it's not the absolute end of the world if we don't.

Siorac

Yeah, and a reason you've failed to get it in the last 7 years is because of the constant fail - splurge - fail - splurge cycle with different managers who buy different players to suit them. Get CL with Ole and that puts you in a hugely different position to EL.
Does it though? We got CL twice in a row with Mourinho and it led nowhere. We got CL with Van Gaal and it led nowhere.

I want us to qualify for the Champions League, I recognise its importance to our finances, I love the competition itself - but simply the prospect of qualifying for it does not elevate this game to the near-mythical significance the OP talks about. The club is not going to fold if we fail to qualify, and success is not guaranteed if we manage to qualify.

Different managers buying completely different players to suit their own playing styles is a different discussion altogether: that just speaks to the lack of footballing vision at the club. Other clubs manage to change managers/coaches without having to change the entire squad as well.

Slysi17

I never said we should rely on Wolves, i simply used that as a point on how hyperbole it is to proclaim this as the most important match since the '08 CL Final.

If there's a chance that we can lose but still go through then this match didn't matter at all.

We will however get a result, I'm sure.
Yea agree with that point. But if we don't get a result and not get top four there is going to be huge pressure on winning the Europa league. Hopefully your right and we get a result

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Hyperbole. It's definitely not.

There were far more important matches since then.
I’m not so sure. Massive games when we were a dependable team guaranteed of being there or thereabouts led only to disappointment if we lost. Given the specific circumstances, I understand where the OP is coming from.

Having failed to kick on under Mourinho, we can’t let this immediate opportunity to slip. Pre season mots on redcafe predicted we’d finish outside of top 4, so if we can achieve that, I think OGS would be a year ahead of realistic progress.

Gaining CL qualification in our current circumstances would provide such a huge boost of confidence for everyone at the club, help us complete our transfer business, keep our sponsors happy and ensure we enter next season with a bounce in our step.

Failing to qualify on this last day would conversely be a real downer and journalists and some of our fans would fill media with mass hyperbolic negativity which would create its own destructive consequences.

el3mel

I’m not so sure. Massive games when we were a dependable team guaranteed of being there or thereabouts led only to disappointment if we lost. Given the specific circumstances, I understand where the OP is coming from.

Having failed to kick on under Mourinho, we can’t let this immediate opportunity to slip. Pre season mots on redcafe predicted we’d finish outside of top 4, so if we can achieve that, I think OGS would be a year ahead of realistic progress.

Gaining CL qualification in our current circumstances would provide such a huge boost of confidence for everyone at the club, help us complete our transfer business, keep our sponsors happy and ensure we enter next season with a bounce in our step.

Failing to qualify on this last day would conversely be a real downer and journalists and some of our fans would fill media with mass hyperbolic negativity which would create its own destructive consequences.
The match is important, however it's not the most important match we have had since 2008 CL final. This is the hyperbole we are talking about. Since 2008 final we had 2 CL finals, 1 El final, 3 league titles, the first one of them equaled our arch rivals Liverpool for the number of league titles and had the huge Villa match with Macheda goal, and the next league title broke Liverpool's record finally.

All these were much more important matches to the club than a match to secure top 4.

It's an important match alright, but saying things like these in the OP is hyperbole.

Also we still have EL to play for anyway, so even mission on top isn't the end of the world.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Does it though? We got CL twice in a row with Mourinho and it led nowhere. We got CL with Van Gaal and it led nowhere.

I want us to qualify for the Champions League, I recognise its importance to our finances, I love the competition itself - but simply the prospect of qualifying for it does not elevate this game to the near-mythical significance the OP talks about. The club is not going to fold if we fail to qualify, and success is not guaranteed if we manage to qualify.

Different managers buying completely different players to suit their own playing styles is a different discussion altogether: that just speaks to the lack of footballing vision at the club. Other clubs manage to change managers/coaches without having to change the entire squad as well.
Yes. You actually look like a good side under Ole and the players appear invested in him unlike any of the other managers.

In my opinion it’s similar to Liverpool in the Rodgers/Klopp era. Rodgers managed a few good finishes too (inc 2nd place) but I don’t remember them looking as good under him as they did under Klopp leading up to this title win (even in seasons when they finished below 2nd). Under Ole you’re playing some of the best football you’ve played in bloody ages, way better than the tumescent crap that Mourinho was playing with you. That’s why I think it’s a lot different if you manage to get CL with Ole rather than Mourinho. I think the first 11 is both good enough under Ole, suits his style and believes in him enough and now it’s just about getting the squad to match that. CL football will help that hugely.

stepic

So the champions league final 09 and 11 weren’t as big as this game against Leicester because the op didn’t think we’d win those games?

:houllier:

youmeletsfly

I wonder what United fans would choose if this game would decide:
- us getting top4 with Ole, him staying and being dogshit for 4-5 years
- us finally waking up and appointing a serious and modern manager

Don't rage about the presented options, but what would you choose?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I wonder what United fans would choose if this game would decide:
- us getting top4 with Ole, him staying and being dogshit for 4-5 years and winning the league under him
- us finally waking up and appointing a serious and modern manager

Don't rage about the presented options, but what would you choose?
fixed for you

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
At the end of the day, it's a game of 4 quarters, It's a 6 pointer, a lot riding on this,futures at stake,it's do or die, not a match for faint hearts...

I'm running out of cliches

DSG

This is over the top to put it mildly.
Most important game since EVER!!!!! OMG!!! SHIT THE BED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hyperbole much
Hysterical and OTT thread.
Ya gotta love the Caf.
Thanks for "contributing" to a legitimate question. Don't care if you agree or disagree, but at least have a reasonable take rather than regurgitating lame one-line non-answers with no value whatsoever. Or just don't comment at all, we'd all be the better for it.

Even if we lose v Leicester we still have a 40-45% chance of qualifying for the UCL, which isn't the be-all and end-all either way.
I don't see us having a 25% chance in winning the EL... It's a single elimination tournament played in one location without fans. Does that help us or hurt us? I have no idea, and neither do the gamblers. They have basically very little data to properly handicap this tournament, and there are so many random scenarios that could happen that advantages in squad quality are minimized.

For me, top 4 finish would mean:
- CL football next season
- key play like Pogba may be convinced to commit his long term future here
- likely to sign Sancho
- financial side of it, would means we may have more funds to buy
- more likely to challenge for title next season

Fail to finish top 4:
- no CL football next season
- key players may want to leave, as we have been missing CL football so many times already, enough is enough
- Sancho may not come
- less fund to buy
- less likely to challenge for title next season

Not to mention probably anywhere between 100m to 145m on the line in the CL revenue + Adidas penalty (25m for the year). This money matters. This Adidas penalty is really punitive as it actually reduces payout from last season and has a knock on effect.

When looking through the lens of trophies, and only trophies, of course, every cup final or title clinching match is more important.

But when looking at the post-SAF era, the revolving door of managers, the lack of leadership in scouting and transfers, losing our values and culture, it's a confirmation that the path we are on is, in fact, the way forward.

It's naive to think that the board will sanction as large a transfer kitty without CL football. It's naive to think that our transfer targets may have second thoughts about joining if we don't have CL football.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We’ve made several finals since then, including 2 other champions league finals.

It’s the biggest match since the 2017 Europa final though, agreed.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Thanks for "contributing" to a legitimate question. Don't care if you agree or disagree, but at least have a reasonable take rather than regurgitating lame one-line non-answers with no value whatsoever. Or just don't comment at all, we'd all be the better for it.

I don't see us having a 25% chance in winning the EL... It's a single elimination tournament played in one location without fans. Does that help us or hurt us? I have no idea, and neither do the gamblers. They have basically very little data to properly handicap this tournament, and there are so many random scenarios that could happen that advantages in squad quality are minimized.

Not to mention probably anywhere between 100m to 145m on the line in the CL revenue + Adidas penalty (25m for the year). This money matters. This Adidas penalty is really punitive as it actually reduces payout from last season and has a knock on effect.

When looking through the lens of trophies, and only trophies, of course, every cup final or title clinching match is more important.

But when looking at the post-SAF era, the revolving door of managers, the lack of leadership in scouting and transfers, losing our values and culture, it's a confirmation that the path we are on is, in fact, the way forward.

It's naive to think that the board will sanction as large a transfer kitty without CL football. It's naive to think that our transfer targets may have second thoughts about joining if we don't have CL football.
This thread deserves all the distain it gets. Just for starters how is it more important than a Champions League Final?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
First of all, we're not Spurs. Second of all, it matters enormously financially (here is thread about it that didn't take off). Third, it will impact who we can attract - and retain quite possibly. Fourth, it will mentally spur this young team on.

Winning the FA Cup means feck all if we're not even slightly relevant in the league. That Chelsea game was crying out for our exhausted players all getting a rest.

diarm

The biggest transfer target in the history of the club -- Sancho -- is watching this all play out, potentially influencing his final decision.
I think someone needs to take a break from the computer.

fezzerUTD

This is biggest since Europa final simple as that. Saying it's as big as the CL final is laughable.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Ridiculous hyperbole to say it’s as big as the 08 final... it’s clearly far bigger, I’m thinking 68 final.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
This is biggest since Europa final simple as that. Saying it's as big as the CL final is laughable.
This thread deserves all the distain it gets. Just for starters how is it more important than a Champions League Final?
Tomorrow's game is huge on so many levels I don't even know where to begin. After working their socks off to get us back into a CL qualifying position, considering where we were after 15 games or so, the players will be devastated if it all goes to pot tomorrow.

We're 14 games unbeaten in the league, imagine losing that hot streak on the final day of the season and missing out on CL football in the process.

fezzerUTD

Tomorrow's game is huge on so many levels I don't even know where to begin. After working their socks off to get us back into a CL qualifying position, considering where we were after 15 games or so, the players will be devastated if it all goes to pot tomorrow.

We're 14 games unbeaten in the league, imagine losing that hot streak on the final day of the season and missing out on CL football in the process.
We would still have the Europa to try and do it so not all would be gone. Really we have been woeful this season and so have the other 2 clubs we have been fighting with so if we didn't do it then so be it.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
While I very much want United to finish in a CL position for obvious reasons, it must not be an end product.
The objective had to be to challenge for and win both the PL and CL.

And I do feel that we at least have a basis from which to move forward with.
Whether Ole is really the answer remains to be seen.
But I have mixed views as to whether he is.

In reality we still have a huge mountain to climb.
And a very long way to go on coaching, preparation, tactics and overall club strategy, including the means to deliver that strategy.

van Persie

Quit overreacting. We've pulled off a ridiculous comeback. All the focus is on us. Not the loserpool skanks cus we are the dimelight.

As evident by no one giving a shit about loserpool winning the league.