Most intelligent players (on the pitch)

devil99

As stated, the quantification of football intelligence has gone awry with some of these players - Rooney? Do you think it's possible to essentially be a pseudo-any-position-on-the-pitch-eclectic-tour de force, without footballing intelligence?

I think first and foremost, looking at players that divert from the mean narrows the pool considerably, as, if you find players who excel there, there's usually a reason that will come down to how they read and perceive the game - extremely slow, unathletic players as well as those who are absurdly athletically gifted who can process the game in real-time at accelerated speed and with interactive traits far outside that which normal/regular players can, have something otherworldly about them.

One of the easiest accusations to fling at extremely rapid players is that they can often be pace merchants or binary in their thinking, but then outliers come along who not only have pace, but understand how that ripple effect affects everything around them, and with that, they can put complex plans into place that foresee numerous outcomes and the contingencies - improvising on the hop, it may be seen as, but looked at with more scrutiny, you see a brain that is working just as fast as the body is, if not faster. Mbappe falls into this category; his understanding of range distance, spatials and his own threat via pace in and of itself, are off the charts. That he combines it all and takes advantage is special as very few players as fast as he is are going to be credited for their movement and guile off the ball or in setting up opposing players as foils in a grander scheme that they aren't yet privy to. In this regard, it's akin to chess, the more steps ahead the player he is, the smarter his game and ability to exploit the smallest windows of opportunity. Mbappe is as much a cunning schemer as he is an outrageous athlete; 1:1, it's difficult to determine whether he's got greater intelligence or athleticism as both are at the very top percentile in the game.

It's mostly established that truly unspectacular athletes who also happen to be considered amongst the best players active have to have a great deal of intelligence to negate their physical disadvantages. Scholes is usually the first name brought to the table at this juncture because his asthma, diminutive size and general lack of pace lend gravitas to the questioning of how he was able to do what he did time and again, in multiple positions, usually against far superior athletes. Others who used to tick that kind of box were Riquelme, Valeron, Valderrama and so forth, but all of them, sans Valeron, were strong, tall players who were incredibly difficult to dispossess even with touch contact, which adds a different dimension to how they solved problems, dimensions not accessible to someone like Scholes. If you scour the modern game and find standout midfielders who are not strong, fast or blessed with ridiculous amounts of stamina and yet they excel, you're more than likely dealing with a player whose in-game intelligence will be above average, at the least.

It's already been touched on in this thread, and threaded through my post that elusiveness, movement and the guile and speed of thought that not only sees the exploits but is working on how to use them to the advantage of the player at hand is generally seen as one of the major hallmarks of intelligent players - being one, two or three steps ahead without using excessive energy or physical advantages is special and is utilised in different ways across all positions on a pitch - that defender who is intercepting balls or effortlessly interjecting has to have a great deal of intelligence; what he's doing isn't happening by magic or osmosis; that midfielder running absolute rings around his opponents controlling the flow and rhythm of a game may have outstanding skill and footballing ability, but if he's frequently finding himself in acres of space and 'bending the game to his will' there is going to be a lot of intelligence on display.

An interesting player to throw into the mix for the discussion is the aged version of Messi. He breaks the rules in terms of ability, which then sort of bends all the rules for everything else. He can play at walking pace; see passes others can't; receive the ball without a jot of movement and be deadly with it; score on any touch he wants inside of 30 yards of goal - is that intelligence or just a level of brilliance that negates other factors? In isolation, yes, I think so, but then you add his elusiveness when he elects to inject it as well as his ability to foresee the use of himself as a decoy and foil from which he oscillates between passive and active - meaning, he's processing the best course of action in real time - and you have a player who, if you elect not to see it, is pure ability, or if you're looking at him as a whole package, is operating on at a level of intelligence that's rarely seen, especially so when you consider the more pure ability you have, the harder it is to be disassociative, or at least, the bigger the decision when you can rely purely on ability to affect everything all of the time by yourself, essentially.

For me, this thread has two paths: the very obvious, like I've mostly leaned on and then those who are rarely discussed because what they do/did doesn't strike the chord with what people generally deem football intelligence - Suarez is an example of a very clever player whom I doubt would get many shouts in a thread like this even it spanned a 1000 pages. There are dozens in that category, I would say.

I need an extra dose of intelligence to read and decipher the entire message :)

Blackwidow

For me the one stand out player is Thomas Müller. There's a reason he's played literally every game he's fit for club and country since his debut, and there are quite a few otherwise talented players I'd love to see with his footballing brains.

I also find putting Rooney in the not intelligent camp very odd. He'd be at best an average mid table player without his footballing intelligence in my opinion.
One of the doors of the adventskalender of miasanrot.com features him especially in the aspect of his "special" gameplay
https://miasanrot.com/2022-advent-calendar-25-thomas-mueller/

RunTheTrap

Supports
Arsenal
Bukayo Saka. He is not technically elite or blessed with elite pace, but his IQ and decision making makes up for it. He’s a top winger, and could be a top fullback and midfielder too if he wanted it.

KeanoMagicHat

Casemiro, right position off the ball. Right position to receive the ball. Right decision with the ball. Again and again. Boss midfielder.

LARulz

Not in order if quality, just who came to mind:

Scholes
Xavi
Iniesta
Zidane
Maldini
Rio
Rooney
RvN
Bergkamp
Muller
Ole
Messi
Carvalho
Ronaldinho

galwayfa

Anyone mention Denis Irwin, never caught out of position or wasted a pass, the perfect team mate

Reactions: Invictus

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
What about Inzaghi? His technique, speed etc is nothing to write home about but he was regarded as a premier striker mainly due to how he fool defenders by mass utilizing the offside trap to his advantage

padzilla

Hipster
I am surprised Carrick's name has not been mentioned here, nor that of Roy Keane. They seldom got it wrong with decision making in the middle.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Flamini certainly off the pitch.
I hope that you’re not referring to the billionaire myth?

"Contrary to what I read, I do not have €30bn in my bank account," he said in 2020. "In fact, [€30bn] is the total value of the market we want to 'attack' with the new technologies we have developed in recent years.
"There was a misunderstanding. It’s as if we had given a single restaurant the value of the entire catering market in France"

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
One name not put on the table yet is Andrea Pirlo. A class player at both club and international level. Never blessed with outstanding pace or physicality but controlled the tempo of a game like a conductor leads an Orchestra. He dictated the tempo of a game at the highest level consistently.

What makes these players stand out is awareness on the pitch. Players like Pirlo, Xavi, Modric, Messi, Scholes, Alonso were (or are in Messis case)was the constant scanning of the space around them, anecdotally more than your average Joe. Quite often a pass or two ahead of the opposition.

I think as one commentator said a few years ago. Messi plays football like its a game of chess. The goal, the pass, the run is already played out in his head a 1000 times over before its ever made

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Not in order if quality, just who came to mind:

Scholes
Xavi
Iniesta
Zidane
Maldini
Rio
Rooney
RvN
Bergkamp
Muller
Ole
Messi
Carvalho
Ronaldinho
Mata deserves to be in that list.

LARulz

Mata deserves to be in that list.
Good shout, forgot about him. Mainly cos his last few years were verage at best but at his peak he was great. Should also probably add David Silva

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Good shout, forgot about him. Mainly cos his last few years were verage at best but at his peak he was great. Should also probably add David Silva
His performances never reached the heights they did at Chelsea though I'm not sure that was his fault. But I think he was still the most intelligent player right to the end of his career with us

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Any libero in the past, like Beckenbauer, Baresi, Scirea, Vasovic, Sammer, etc. They have to be able to read the game, on when to go forward and leave their defending position, and when to stay back.

Otherwise, they'd end up on David Luiz level.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
To me Veron was such an intelligent player.

But Messi is above everything I've ever seen. He doesn't even need to run.
What we saw in the WC is that he is still analyzing and evolving. The other brainiac I would bring up in that fold is Modric. Xavi was certainly up there too...Iniesta as well which is what made them both so dangerous.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
This is hard to quantify, for me at least because all top level players will generally know where to be on the pitch, how to pick a pass etc, but I think there are footballers who play the game or have tactics/instructions drilled into their head and others who understand it.

Take Fabregas for example, whenever he plays it felt like he understood the entire game better than some managers on the sidelines. Felt like he always made the right choice or the right pass. Same with Xabi Alonso.

Compare them with Rooney and Gerrard, especially the latter, where it felt like the game was about him and showing what he could do, rather than making the best decision.

I'll include RVN and Adebayor as well. The former stood offside deliberately, the latter was either too lazy or had the worst understanding of the offside rule I've ever seen.
Rooney? Bah Gawd... that guy was a genius on the pitch

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Michael Laudrup on his peak was the most intelligent player I've ever seen on a football pitch. Unfortunately his self-motivation simply wasn't his strongest point.

tomaldinho1

Bukayo Saka. He is not technically elite or blessed with elite pace, but his IQ and decision making makes up for it. He’s a top winger, and could be a top fullback and midfielder too if he wanted it.
He literally has both things. Pace with the ball and acceleration are his greatest strengths in my mind, the former means he has to be good technically and the latter means he's fast. You can say, quite rightly, he'd lose a 100m sprint to Lukaku but when does a player ever get more than 20m in a game to sprint in a straight line.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Michael Laudrup, Messi, Cryuff and Xavi. Modric as well.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Michael Laudrup on his peak was the most intelligent player I've ever seen on a football pitch. Unfortunately his self-motivation simply wasn't his strongest point.
His ability to see and execute the impossible pass is unrivalled. Even for Messi more recently.

padr81

Supports
Man City
David Silva (unreal way of reading the game and knowing what was gonna happen before it did.)
Thiago Silva (One of those defenders who is always right place right time).
Bernardo Silva (Pep "He speaks 7 different languages")

Oranges038

Just players I've seen that I think were intelligent players in their positions. They made the right choice more often than not, wherever they were on the pitch, used creative intuition, could read the game and adapt.

Young Messi
Modric
Xavi
Pirlo
Cesc
Alonso
Maldini
Mid life Messi
Cannavaro
Rooney
Scholes
Luis Suarez (the bitey one)
Cantona
Old walking Messi
Le Tissier
Del Piero
Makelele
Mathaus
Lahm
KDB

Probably are more or better suggestions. But these are ones I picked out of my head.

Blood Mage

Xavi was the most intelligent footballer ever period. Did he ever misplace a pass or make the wrong pass?

LASpurs

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I always thought Teddy Sheringham was one of the smarter players on the pitch. His lack of pace was made up for by his intelligence on it.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
It has to be King Eric- for me, the best player to grace the Premiership.

Glorio

Casemiro
Fernandinho
Eriksen
Bergkamp
Muller
Henry
Makelele

Davicho

Sergio Busquets and Michael Carrick. Both made a successful career majority having good positioning and vision of the game.

next_number_seven

Rooney was underrated for his cleverness.

That United team had a high IQ which we never replaced. Scholes, Carrick, Giggs, Rooney were all very clever.