Most loved legends

Cockney Phil

As a kid Stevie Coppell was my hero, absolutely idolised the man, along with Gordon Hill, Lou Macari and Pancho.
The ‘Doc’s Bionic Babes’: I would have added Martin Buchan to your list. On the way to a game he was our main cause for concern - if he was out we usually lost. The Greenhoff brothers had a big Red following and they dominated the 1977 cup final. Many Irish fans in the Scoreboard Paddock gave support to Gerry Daly. Jim Holton had his own song: ‘six feet two, eyes of blue, big Jim Hon is after you’ but suffered from injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:

I get peoples issues with Giggsy, but what's with all the Bobby Charlton hate in this thread? I've never heard anything but complimentary words directed at him.

It's bizarre.
I know a lot of people who have met him and I've never heard a positive word said about him.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
The ‘Doc’s Bionic Babes’: I would have added Martin Buchan to your list. On the way to a game he was our main cause for concern - if he was out we usually lost. The Greenhoff brothers had a big Red following and they dominated the 1977 cup final. Many Irish fans in the Scoreboard Paddock gave support to Gerry Daly. Jim Holton had his own song: ‘six feet two, eyes of blue, big Jim Hon is after you’ but suffered from injuries.
The thread title is most loved though and of course i worshipped the likes of Buchan and Daly etc but it was those 4 but especially Coppell that i loved the most as a young kid.

BigRon1985

As a kid Stevie Coppell was my hero, absolutely idolised the man, along with Gordon Hill, Lou Macari and Pancho.
Stevie Coppell on the wing - I idolised him too! I remember being at White Hart Lane in Dec 1979 when he scored the winner against Spurs - the whole away end went ballistic!

I loved Joe Jordan too - the man who put his head where many players were scared to put their boot! We had a lot of proper hard men in the team in those days not like today’s snowflake generation - Kevin Moran, Norman Whiteside, Paul McGrath and my all time favourite United player Bryan Robson - had everything.

Chris Amesbury

Stevie Coppell on the wing - I idolised him too! I remember being at White Hart Lane in Dec 1979 when he scored the winner against Spurs - the whole away end went ballistic!

I loved Joe Jordan too - the man who put his head where many players were scared to put their boot! We had a lot of proper hard men in the team in those days not like today’s snowflake generation - Kevin Moran, Norman Whiteside, Paul McGrath and my all time favourite United player Bryan Robson - had everything.
I was only a young kid but remember being gutted when Stevie Coppell got injured. He was the first exciting winger I was aware of. Remember being pleased for him getting Palace to the final in 1990. Anyone who where's the shirt and plays with heart and determination is a legend Too many to name.

A few of my favourites are:

Big Dunc... (always deserves a mention first)

Robbo

Hughes (have to ignore his managerial career). Loved how the big centre backs used to try to kick lumps out of him and he'd just kick them back with interest. Ridiculously huge thighs were like his force field. My and my mates would spend all day in the park playing headers and volleys and try a Hughesie special.

Late 80's early 90's loved Sharpie. He was so quick and direct. He'd knock the ball past the defender, ahead of himself and sprint past the defender with wade, getting all the supporters out of their seats and deliver great crosses. His crossing was brilliant. In the 90-91 season he was untouchable.. Was gutted when he was injured. Then in the 91-92 I was a little upset that some skinny kid was trying to take his place whilst he was injured. Just shows what I know. That kid turned out to be one of my favourite players ever.

I also used to think Bailey was the best keeper ever. Then big Pete came along. Loved watching him. Was like Hercules had signed for the club. His huge throws would zoom into the opposing half setting Giggs and Kanchelskis off... Awesome stuff which the clubs been missing for the past 5 years.

My list could go on and on..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Niall

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Gosh. So many to pick from.
Although not a player, Sir Alex had such a dramatic effect on so many players.

For me - Ronaldo, Keane, Cantona, Staam, Class of 92 and of course Charlton, Best and Law.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don’t think so. Perhaps for you but I get the sense he’s not liked my some. Maybe I’m wrong.
For what he's been through i'm amazed he's not a manic depressive.

Imagine being on the top of the world and then your friends all killed in front of you. He somehow survived but I bet he feels somewhat guilty for it.

I'm not sure how anybody could be full of life after that.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Beckham

Not love. But admiration. Done it all won it all stay true to his passion for football even amidst his fame and fortune. A gentlemen in and outside football. Yes, i know he paid for a prostitute once...

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Giggs' personal life has nothing to do with his performances, love for the club and what we as a fans owe him. He was nothing but a great professional who also pretty much gave up his international career for a club.

John Terry cheated his wife, Rooney cheated his wife, Rio cheated his wife, Cantona had his antics, and no one holds it against them when they name it as their favourite players, and yet Giggs is the only one whose personal life is mentioned whenever we talk about him as MANCHESTER UNITED LEGEND.
Nope. But it does have a bearing on my feeling towards him

Hanky panky

No one mentioning Giggs so far is actually embarassing. How can people not like the guy who gave his entire life to Manchester United is beyond me. By the looks of it many like Ronaldo more than Giggs. Feck me our fans are amazing and don't even deserve some of those legends.
This. For me Giggs in number one.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Giggs' personal life has nothing to do with his performances, love for the club and what we as a fans owe him. He was nothing but a great professional who also pretty much gave up his international career for a club.

John Terry cheated his wife, Rooney cheated his wife, Rio cheated his wife, Cantona had his antics, and no one holds it against them when they name it as their favourite players, and yet Giggs is the only one whose personal life is mentioned whenever we talk about him as MANCHESTER UNITED LEGEND.

You want to calm down. Go and have a sherry or something.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Schmeichel - cnut

Hughes - cnut

Giggs - cnut but for completely different reasons. As a United legend his place is unaffected.

Mine are Keane, Becks, Irwin, Pallister and by an absolute mile Eric. Met them all loads when younger and they were incredible. Pallister especially. Andy Cole was a right dickhead but in a weird way made me like him even more at the time .

Chris Amesbury

Schmeichel - cnut

Hughes - cnut

Giggs - cnut but for completely different reasons. As a United legend his place is unaffected.

Mine are Keane, Becks, Irwin, Pallister and by an absolute mile Eric. Met them all loads when younger and they were incredible. Pallister especially. Andy Cole was a right dickhead but in a weird way made me like him even more at the time .
Pally was brilliant. Hardly ever gets a mention but was class and a great servant to the club. Should have been capped more for England ahead of donkey.

Needham

Bit of a dangerous game when you start sifting through players' outside football stuff.
Probably best to keep it just to football.
But there must be a point beyond which a person doesn't deserve a second chance.

izec

Too many, but i cant exclude

Cantona
Sir Bobby
Best
Giggs
Irwin
Scholes
Robson
Keane
Rio
Becks

Dont get the Ronaldo love over some of the players we had, but preferences i guess.

Pughnichi

What we owe him? Don’t be ridiculous. I/we don’t owe him anything. Great player. Of course. Perhaps our greatest? But this has turned into a favourite player post and for that, Giggs is a long way down my list

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
For me it's Solskjær, Vidic, Scholes, Cantona, Ferdinand, Evra and Carrick (excluding those I've only seen short clips from)

I do hold Giggs, Rooney, Neville and co highly and would call them legends of the club but personally I didn't warm up to them (Rooney) or something has had me feel bad when I think about them since (Giggs/Neville) so while I'll nod in agreement when people mention them as club legends I won't be up in arms when people disagree.

RC89

Solskjær is so likeable it's almost annoying. I don't think anyone has a bad word to say about him[/B].

Evra's enthusiasm for United and football in general is extremely infectious, but opposition fans (Dippers especially) fecking hate him for some reason.

As for not-quite-legends I've got a huge soft spot for Gary Pallister and David May. Genuinely funny blokes.
This. I think the fact he went straight into management and as a result did no punditry work here (as far as I remember) he could never annoy us. Gary despite being a legend at times talks nonsense and ultimately taints my opinion of him, ever so slightly, but it's there. My experience of Solskjær embodies I like to see from our players/legends. Also, we've just played the most exciting football I can remember since Fergie so right now, the man can do no wrong for me .

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
I was only a young kid but remember being gutted when Stevie Coppell got injured. He was the first exciting winger I was aware of. Remember being pleased for him getting Palace to the final in 1990. Anyone who where's the shirt and plays with heart and determination is a legend Too many to name..
Yeah, he was only 28 when forced to retire at the end of 82/83 season.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Carrick, Cantona, and Scholes. I don't know if they're considered "legend", but I love Park Ji-sung and John O'Shea also.

witchtrials

For what he's been through i'm amazed he's not a manic depressive.

Imagine being on the top of the world and then your friends all killed in front of you. He somehow survived but I bet he feels somewhat guilty for it.

I'm not sure how anybody could be full of life after that.
Nah, some egg on Twitter said he didn't hold the door open he is an irredeemable cnut.

Last edited:

manichester

Harry Gregg
Sir Bobby
Georgie
Dennis (The First King)

Brian Robson
Class of 92

Eric The Red Devil Cantona

Roy Keane

Schmeics
VDS
Big Dave

OGS

Red For Ever

Almost 54 years since my first United match.

I remember exactly where i was, my reaction was - what a waste of £1.1 million pounds ( or something like that )
Sheffield (I think) rejected our £3 million offer for David Hirst

This was our plan B

Eric Cantona, the most important player in my time

We are lucky, a long list of players just a fraction behind him.
Partly depends on how long you have been around

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
King Eric for me. Transformed everything and I could always forgive the red cards he was so special. Plenty of others but that man is beautiful some of the goals were outrageous. Shame it didn't happen in Europe for him but the best buy we ever made bar none.

Leeds were robbed. Serves them right.

Strachans Cigar

“Most loved”?

Surely we should be talking about players with Charisma, or maybe **** figures

Best - Great, great player, colourful personality. Flawed genius.

Robbo. Got to be there as he was almost a one man team during the 80s and was probably pissed half the time. Colossal.

Eric. The cool engima with a sense of humour.

Evra. Mad as a box of frogs & achieved plenty here.

Ole. Very happy demeanour, scores some very crucial goals.

If Ibra had have been here at his peak he would probably have been here no doubt whatsoever.

Why some people are putting the likes of Scholes in there I don’t know. Goes without saying fantastic servant to the club but also he’s dour as feck.

Devils11

we all love flawed genius = Cantona / Best instead of Bobby C / Giggs

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I know a lot of people who have met him and I've never heard a positive word said about him.
May I ask have they all met him at the same time and he might have had a bad day, or separate? Just weird that *a lot* (what is that, 10+ or so?) of people didn't say anything positive about Charlton...

Kopral Jono

'Most loved' is extremely subjective but with these lists they usually include Cantona and Best. My personal list would have Keane, Beckham, Van Nistelrooy, Cole and Solskjaer in it along with the less obvious like Irwin, Park and Van Persie.

Howzit_Bru

Most of my favs are the players I watched in my youth. Not all are legends but I always loved:

Jesper Olsen
McGrath
Robson
Hughes
Webb (he failed but I liked him)
Parker
Lee Sharp
Irwin
Pallister