g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

MOTD 2016/17

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The Burnley red card was an odd one. One of those that looked awful on one angle, but like he pulled his foot away on another.

EDIT: Sean Dyche not complaining

Celestiale

Brilliant debut from Niang. That's a real steal from Watford..gonna be a huge player for them

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Barkley celebrating before even hitting the ball :lol:
Amusingly, there are some decrying it as unsportsmanlike behaviour, or poor form... Which naturally reminds me of that time Nani caused a similarly imaginary furore by juggling the ball at 4-0 up in a cup tie against Arsenal. I've still yet to meet a single real life fan who finds that kind of thing remotely disrespectful. Most think it's brilliant.

For reference...and enjoyment

Last edited:

Jippy

Staff
Amusingly, there are some decrying it as unsportsmanlike behaviour, or poor form... Which naturally reminds me of that time Nani caused a similarly imaginary furore by juggling the ball at 4-0 up in a cup tie against Arsenal. I've still yet to meet a single real life fan who finds that kind of thing remotely disrespectful. Most think it's brilliant.

Yeah, I hate that disrespectful nonsense. You get it in snooker and darts too- finishing with two doubles in darts used to cause rows on stage- god forbid we want a bit of flamboyant excellence a la Zidane, Maradona, Phil Taylor, Adrian Lewis (four names rarely used in the same sentence).

Mockney

Yeah, I hate that disrespectful nonsense. You get it in snooker and darts too- finishing with two doubles in darts used to cause rows on stage- god forbid we want a bit of flamboyant excellence a la Zidane, Maradona, Phil Taylor, Adrian Lewis (four names rarely used in the same sentence).
Ali, MacEnroe, Higgins, even Cantona...You could go on and on.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Fairly harsh posts on Eddie Howe. Couldn't give a feck if he is British or not. He has done a pretty amazing job with bournmouth. Fair fecks to him for his attacking football too

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

The thing with the Nani clip is I can't see how else he was meant to control that ball

Womp

idiot

:drool: Nani when he could be arsed was so enjoyable to watch

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Fairly harsh posts on Eddie Howe. Couldn't give a feck if he is British or not. He has done a pretty amazing job with bournmouth. Fair fecks to him for his attacking football too
Yep, every player in his team bar Wilshere belongs in the Championship but he has them mid-table in the Premier League. Good manager. Not top level by any stretch but still alright.

Boycott

*build them up to knock them down*

Mockney

Naseem Hamed in his day was excellent, Eubank too.

EDIT: Naseem fighting Robinson for his WBO world title is probably the greatest wum fight ever.
If Naseem hadn't been such a flamboyant cock, he'd never have been such a legend. Lennox was the undisputed Heavyweight Champion, but most don't really care, 'cos he was a bit boring. He was certainly way more deserving a champ than Bruno, but I'd challenge you to find a Briton who liked him more.

The thing with the Nani clip is I can't see how else he was meant to control that ball
Even if there was, he should've done it anyway. It's Pele vs Maradona, Shearer vs Cantona. It's what football's all about ...

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
If Naseem hadn't been such a flamboyant cock, he'd never have been such a legend. Lennox was the undisputed Heavyweight Champion, but most of us don't really care 'cos he was a bit boring.

Even if there was, he should've done it anyway. It's Pele vs Maradona, Shearer vs Cantona. It's what football's all about ...
I agree. But Nani got a lot of abuse for that even though it seems like it was the best way to control the ball! I don't think he was showboating

dichinero

United would prefer a DM that can prevent Bournemouth from scoring 3 goals. He was out of his depth here, so it's no surprise that he will settle more at Everton as that's closer to his comfort zone. Indicates a weak mentality.
Gosh not this again

Mockney

I agree. But Nani got a lot of abuse for that even though it seems like it was the best way to control the ball! I don't think he was showboating
I get you, but you dont even need to make excuses for it. It's morally sound. History will judge it favourably. What would football be without forwards embarrassing defenders? A drab, post-apocalyptic world of Pulis and Allardyces. Mad Max, staring Crouch and Fellaini

Yagami

Good post resistant
Nani:drool: I wish he had got a proper send off.

I've seen a lot of criticism towards Neymar's showboating in recent years with defenders going in on him because of it but I love it. I'm not the biggest Neymar fan but I can't help but appreciate the skill and the confidence it takes to do it. If every footballer behaved like robots then it'd take away from the sport, imo.

paulscholes18

WTF, that was never a free kick for City, also the free kick was taken no where near it was given

MichaelRed

Not surprised we got to see Juan Mata with his supposed red card challenge but they didn't show Vardy literally kick Bailly after he had tackled him. :rolleyes:

Jippy

Staff
Not surprised we got to see Juan Mata with his supposed red card challenge but they didn't show Vardy literally kick Bailly after he had tackled him. :rolleyes:
Not sure there was as much in the Vardy 'kick out' as some are making. Was very impressed by Bailly's maturity though and the way he completely didn't react.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Not sure there was as much in the Vardy 'kick out' as some are making. Was very impressed by Bailly's maturity though and the way he completely didn't react.
Odd that it wasn't shown at all though - you'd think it might be significant enough to make the highlights if nothing else, as much as to show the tone the referee had set in the match from some of Leicester's challenges before the Mata decision; context is quite important in explaining that decision.

Last edited:

El Zoido

Sunderland are an affront to the entire sport. Moyes has no answers.

montpelier

how is that not offside (Sanchez) when it just happens to rebound (directly) off a defender but he's been offside for the last 15 minutes?

(keep asking this - doesn't make any sense if they interpret this way, it's fecking ridiculous)

Last edited:

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
So many shit referee decisions all over the place in every game. Clattenburg's performance was abysmal.

Josep Dowling

People will quite happily talk of United getting favours from refs. Arsenal had a handball goal and should of been down to ten men. If that was the other way round you just know Clattenburg would of sent of the defender due to the fan pressure. Joke decisions once again.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Lost count of the number of big decisions that have gone Arsenal's way this season.

Sylar

Did they talk about how Arta should have been shown a second yellow and thus a red or was that just ignored? TBH, we know why they do it, so it doesnt annoy me as much as it used to.

Jippy

Staff
Did they talk about how Arta should have been shown a second yellow and thus a red or was that just ignored? TBH, we know why they do it, so it doesnt annoy me as much as it used to.
No, but was the whistlestop goals-only MOTD2 highlights. Couldn't face it yesterday. Was watching that boxing farce for better or worse.

diarm

Four replays of Ibra's elbow. One of Mings' stamp. Clearly no agenda...
That was a joke. Why didn't they show the stamp as it happened but wait till after showing the elbow (after the resulting shot on goal and then the corner) before showing it fleetingly and then focusing on Zlatan.

Same yesterday during the live text where BBC headlined: "Zlatan stays on the field after elbow" but never even mentioned Mings stamp. BBC playing to the pantomime crowd and plaumausing the ABU's I reckon.

Untied

No, but was the whistlestop goals-only MOTD2 highlights. Couldn't face it yesterday. Was watching that boxing farce for better or worse.
Which made it even more ridiculous. More replays of the elbow than goals, which normally get one replay.

Untied

Of course not. It didn't even make the highlights. And after the game they didn't talk about anything beyond the Ibra/Mings incident.

EDIT: Oh and saying Surman's first yellow shouldn't have been a yellow, because Shaw didn't get booked for a similar tackle, even though imo Surman's was worse as he kind of scissored a bit.

Last edited:

BUGGS

Martin Keown on the red card "Herrera, He's either getting sent off or he's getting someone else sent off and he's screaming whenever he goes into a tackle".
He then said that it was a red and Herrera does well to to get out of the way of it :houllier::wenger: