MOTD 2016/17

Jonno

Martin Keown on the red card "Herrera, He's either getting sent off or he's getting someone else sent off and he's screaming whenever he goes into a tackle".
He then said that it was a red and Herrera does well to to get out of the way of it :houllier::wenger:
Whilst he's one of our own I can see it myself that Keowns description of Hererra is correct. The way that he instantly recognises the tackle was over the ball, he reacts by spinning round like his leg has just been blown off before collapsing in a heap on the floor once the whistle has been blown. You can tell the way Gerrard targeted him that the Liverpool lads moments before at half time will have spoken about Hererra being a disruptive opponent which led to Gerrard planting him.

I love the little guy, he gets under the skin of opponents, and then he ghosts past them with great short pass and move moments, so they feel the need to leave one in on him. He'll be involved in many more red card incidents in the future that's for sure.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Whilst he's one of our own I can see it myself that Keowns description of Hererra is correct. The way that he instantly recognises the tackle was over the ball, he reacts by spinning round like his leg has just been blown off before collapsing in a heap on the floor once the whistle has been blown. You can tell the way Gerrard targeted him that the Liverpool lads moments before at half time will have spoken about Hererra being a disruptive opponent which led to Gerrard planting him.

I love the little guy, he gets under the skin of opponents, and then he ghosts past them with great short pass and move moments, so they feel the need to leave one in on him. He'll be involved in many more red card incidents in the future that's for sure.
As much as I hate blatant diving, making the ref aware of a stupid tackle shouldn't be stamped out, the refs are incompetent, it infuriates me when a player "stays on his feet" whilst being fouled and ends up losing the ball and the ref doesn't call a rightful foul.

I remember Rooney against Liverpool a few years ago when he got tackled (fouled) but he carried on and fumbled the shot, he should have went down and got the penalty! It's all well and good saying don't dive etc, but refs don't reward honesty, so why put yourself at a disadvantage when a little theatrics pushes the ref to do the right thing?

Jonno

As much as I hate blatant diving, making the ref aware of a stupid tackle shouldn't be stamped out, the refs are incompetent, it infuriates me when a player "stays on his feet" whilst being fouled and ends up losing the ball and the ref doesn't call a rightful foul.

I remember Rooney against Liverpool a few years ago when he got tackled (fouled) but he carried on and fumbled the shot, he should have went down and got the penalty! It's all well and good saying don't dive etc, but refs don't reward honesty, so why put yourself at a disadvantage when a little theatrics pushes the ref to do the right thing?
Agree completely, I don't see anything wrong with it. Keown is right though, it always seems to be Hererra in the middle of something

Hammerfell

Surprised they haven't got Burnley's first away win of the season up first.

lem8sh

No he is correct, by the rule of the law if foul continues in to the box the point of initial contact is irrelevent. Was basically on the line anyway.
Not sure if it continued, think he fell into the box after the trip but regardless it was a shocking decision how the ref waved play on is unbelievable.

Ibi Dreams

Can and Giroud had the best goals. I'd maybe say Giroud's was best overall because the build was brilliant as well as the finish

Old Ma Crow

Against better opposition than many of the other goals, with strength, dribbling at speed and a great finish, Hazard for me. Big game too.