Mourinho and Shaw presser vs Young Boys

klsv

Mourinho:
Lindelöf out for a while
Tomorrow is not vital because even if we lose we depend on nobody but ourselves. But I want to play from minute one like it’s the last chance we have to qualify. We have to win, that’s the way I want to play.
What I want is a team to start strong, not waiting. You probably thought Jose told them to start slow. It is exactly the opposite. I want them to start strong and go for it almost immediately.
Our midfield is not normally aggressive in the fight for second balls.
On players being inconsistent
When you see amazing things that the players did that demands that spirit, ambition and pride you believe they have it. But then sometimes you have matches where the profile is a little bit different and obviously you are frustrated.
On difficulties at home
I refuse to say that because I don’t want to disrespect the home fans. I prefer always to play at home. If you feel pressure, stay at home and I don’t mean stadium home, I mean home home!
Trying not to be late this time
We decide to change hotel. We are not coming from the city centre. We are staying at a hotel a few metres away. Information is things much better than last time. If it is not better I walk.
Shaw:
We are all very disappointed and we need to put that right tomorrow. We have lots of must win games, and we could be looking at a completely different United by the New Year
It was always important for me to get a run of games. For me it was more about getting games, and keeping my fitness up. That has benefited me a lot and I feel great
I need to push myself and my teammates, and get back to where we are. I think everyone in the changing room is a fighter. We all need to be pushing each other, and we all want to win trophies. You can’t say we aren’t fighters, we all want to be the best team in the league
I don’t know, it is really hard to point a finger and what is going on. It is frustrating to watch, but we all know as a team that we are better than that. We do train really hard in the week, and we always push each other, Some games I can’t put my finger on it, but like I said it is easy for me to come here and talk good, but we need to show it on the pitch
On Jose's comments
What he said the other day was more a generation thing compared to when he was younger

Web of Bissaka

Hmm, maybe just me but I think there's a different tone as to how Shaw is giving interviews now than before.

Still positive like usual, but seems more 'mature' or good 'tense' in words and delivery, usually he's too safe.

Or maybe this is just a one off.

Seven Seas Sardines

press conference with all the enthusiasm of a funeral
At least funerals have emotions. The pressers these days reflect how detached most of us feel from the club, even the reporters seem tired of fishing for stories.

Watching Mou's pressers is like watching United. Like being 8 years old again and your mom forces you to church every Sunday, when all you want is keep playing that Gameboy. Always the same psalms sung, same prayers performed and the same joker trying to convince the masses he's a special one but that no miracles can be performed without a sizable donation.

Cloud7

Jose. Go feck yourself
Agreed.

People are losing interest aren’t they.
Yeah. I didn’t even know that we had a CL match this week, and now that I do know it’s just a matter of “oh, okay”. Even up until the first half of last season, I always kept aware of our fixtures and always knew who our next two-three opponents were, but nowadays I don’t even bother, unless I happen to see it when I’m changing my fantasy team. It really has lost so much for me.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
There is less excitement in here than in a dentist's waiting room.

Hopefully we can beat these and make it to the last 16. It is very unlikely that we'll win the CL but it's a cup competition and as long as we are in it, there will always be a very small probability that we can win it!

I find it interesting that he says he wants and tells the players to move the ball more quickly. Some say it’s deflection, I wonder.

donkeyfish

I find it interesting that he says he wants and tells the players to move the ball more quickly. Some say it’s deflection, I wonder.
Yup. It's pretty clear he fails at his job not because he wants us to appear stale and passive, which some seem to think, rather because he's unable to get them doing anything else. At least consistently.

Irwin99

‘Our midfield is not normally aggressive in the fight for second balls’

Then why not play a different set of players there. We do have some players that can be aggressive in the press. They just don’t play enough.

redIndianDevil

I think Mourinho just has the idea of how to play a particular way but not how to teach it to his players. That's why he prefers players who are experienced and can take care of it in the pitch instead of youngsters who have to be coached.

He seems to be telling the players to start fast and dominate and win midfield battles but doesn't train them how. Imagine Guardiola and Klopp just telling players press high and play one touch pass instead of coaching his teams with rondos and training drills. This is what is setting apart Mourinho from rest of the young coaches like Pochettino, Klopp and Guardiola who seem to prefer to take charge in the training.

If Mourinho really wants to continue his managerial career, it's time he take a leaf out or SAF's notebook and hire assistants and manage them properly.

AgentP

If Jose can't get his players to play the way he wants after more than two years at the club, isn't it ultimately Jose's fault?

It's one thing not being able to play fast attacking football. But not getting the players to even perform with full effort is a failure in management.

Ace of Spades

I think Mourinho just has the idea of how to play a particular way but not how to teach it to his players. That's why he prefers players who are experienced and can take care of it in the pitch instead of youngsters who have to be coached.

He seems to be telling the players to start fast and dominate and win midfield battles but doesn't train them how. Imagine Guardiola and Klopp just telling players press high and play one touch pass instead of coaching his teams with rondos and training drills. This is what is setting apart Mourinho from rest of the young coaches like Pochettino, Klopp and Guardiola who seem to prefer to take charge in the training.

If Mourinho really wants to continue his managerial career, it's time he take a leaf out or SAF's notebook and hire assistants and manage them properly.
Well, if he can't get the players to play the way he eants, then he is just incompetent. Anyone can just describe the way they want their teams to play, it is actually getting them to play that way that separates the best from the rest, and Jose is failing at that pathetically it seems.

AgentP

Agreed. You can't just "tell" the players to play a certain way. You need to coach and train them. Our players can't even keep the ball under little bit of pressure from the opposition. They can't string a few quick passes together. They still can't read each other's movements. They can't cross the ball into good areas. Jose needs to take the blame for all this.

Marcus

If Jose can't get his players to play the way he wants after more than two years at the club, isn't it ultimately Jose's fault?

It's one thing not being able to play fast attacking football. But not getting the players to even perform with full effort is a failure in management.
Absolutely. It was damning for Jose to say that he tells his players to start strong and aggressive and they don't and he doesn't understand why. If you communicate instructions to your players and from the start of the match they disregard them, it's time to go.