Mourinho set to sign contract extension | Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shark

@NotShark
This is the best and most important news of all. Stability at last, in the hands of a man that's truly dug us out of the disaster that were the Moyes/LVG era's. I really appreciate everything he's done for the club and the progress we've made, PL title or no title. I trust Jose to keep on pushing us forward.

Jev

Seems I'm the first one who's not happy about this.

I respect and appreciate the more than decent job he's done but I don't like his demeanour or football style and would prefer a more visionary manager.

SirAF

Ageist

I respect and appreciate the more than decent job he's done but I don't like his demeanour or football style and would prefer a more visionary manager.
Tough cookies :devil:

Moiraine

Great news, of course, although my personal preference is for a more attack minded coach, Mourinho is, and I think will, do great things with us. My only criticism is the way we setup sometimes, too negative, especially in big games, we should be taking the game to the likes of City and Liverpool, not cowering in fear. Hoping with a new contract behind him, seemingly getting the signings we want like Sanchez etc might bolster the squad and the attitude and we come out blazing for the rest of this season and beyond, let's give the CL and more the runaround.
We have had worse negative displays than that under Fergie, both in Europe and in Premier League (Remember City away in 2011-12 season, worst I have seen United play).
Give this guy some credit, he is slowing fixing the mess created by Moyes and LVG.

ChaddyP

hopefully the last

reddaz71

Great news and a knockout blow for the class of "92, hence Giggs admitting defeat and taking the Wales job!

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
What a surprise !

Good for both parties.

Greck

If true that it runs till 2021, his current deal was supposed to expire next season so it's really just a 2 year extension with a one year option. Suits us better than it suits him. We ensure the club remains stable while keeping our short term flexibility.

I too would prefer a more attack minded manager in the long run as our style of play looks dated but stability comes first. How do we expect world class players to willingly come play for a manager with an uncertain future? We also don't want a new manager giving all the current deadwood another 12 months to prove themselves.

RedDevil@84

It ll be fun to see the reaction when first thing Jose does is to convince Fellaini to stay and convince Utd to give him the big wages.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Great news for Mourinho, Manutd and the Fans. He will win us the league and maybe even the champions league. It also means he has been backed by united in transfer market like he asked which can only be good news. His tone had changed for ed and the board in recent Press conferences so i think this was on the cards.
Good job.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

I hear they have one of those at that blue stadium if you're interested? People are still waiting for this meltdown or 3 year boom-bust cycle to come to fruition but it ain't gonna happen.

I'm glad that he's here for as long as United want him and he doesn't intend to leave any time soon. Am really looking forward to next season already....especially if we can just get this Sanchez deal over the line.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I'am baffled he is getting a contract extension for £15m a year. He did not finish in top 4 last year, his team is a mile off City in the league table, hasn't shown any convincing performance against the top teams and it remains to be seen if we will even finish in the top 4 this season.

For this kind of money I'am expecting a manager that has no problem building a team (under any circumstances with whatever means he has available) that can compete for any price and plays exciting football in the process. While I'am still of the opnion if Mourinho fails to get top 4 this season he should be sacked without looking back. I mean he really hasn't shown yet that he is worth this kind of commitment.

tomaldinho1

Name one realistic target that wouldn't be a gamble + fits into your preferences

(Aside from D Moyes the GOAT)

izec

If it goes tits up, the sacking will be expensive. But then again, he has improved us and has a huge pull in our transfer business.

m1tch

I was never a big fan of his but after where van Gaal had taken us I conceded that he was 100% the right appointment. I believe he's proved this with good progress so far and hopefully that continues. I think a contract extension is deserved and the right thing to do. I'm not convinced there's a better man for this job right now.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
So no Pochettino then? :(
We're gonna get set back 5 years when he has us in 7th place next season and says we should aspire to be like Tottenham when they beat us 3-0 at OT and go 11 points clear at the top of the league.

redshaw

Very pleased. He's doing a good job so far, from 6th to 2nd, just hope he can keep us up there. Then we can go for the top.

Those complaining we're a mile off City need to check back to each league table with 22/23 games played in the last seven years.

Also consider how tough and congested it is from 2nd-6th in the past few seasons and how we've been essentially out of the top four. The football overall has been better than last season, we had slow spell recently and Pogba has come more forward and players are working on getting the attacking better after that dull spell.

izec

I reckon Mou was pissed with not getting a big marquee signing in the summer. Alexis should cheer him up.
Lukaku was our marquee signing. We obviously missed out on a winger, Perisic, because Inter wanted to feck us over with their ridiculous fee.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'am baffled he is getting a contract extension for £15m a year. He did not finish in top 4 last year, his team is a mile off City in the league table, hasn't shown any convincing performance against the top teams and it remains to be seen if we will even finish in the top 4 this season.

For this kind of money I'am expecting a manager that has no problem building a team (under any circumstances with whatever means he has available) that can compete for any price and plays exciting football in the process. While I'am still of the opnion if Mourinho fails to get top 4 this season he should be sacked without looking back. I mean he really hasn't shown yet that he is worth this kind of commitment.
By your logic would you sack Conte, Klopp, Poch and Wenger then?

United are closer to City than any of that lot and he's won two trophies to boot. He's also got a 61 percent win ratio (highest in club history) and holds a record 40 game unbeaten run at home.

In other words you're talking baloney.

TheReligion

Abusive
This is the best and most important news of all. Stability at last, in the hands of a man that's truly dug us out of the disaster that were the Moyes/LVG era's. I really appreciate everything he's done for the club and the progress we've made, PL title or no title. I trust Jose to keep on pushing us forward.
I think some here forget what a mess we were actually in!

When you read how the club was under LvG (Anderson's interview for instance) and appreciate how low morale must have been he's had a tough task and is only improving.

The stability will also help us tie down our top players like DDG and help attract new ones like Alexis.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Why are we giving him a raise? He hasn't overachieved so far.

AC1689

In other words you're talking baloney.
Exactly this. Look at City last year. Pep looked totally defeated at one point. Pulling tantrums, looking somewhat dishevelled. This time last year, people were even suggesting he might leave his post at the end of that season. City won nothing last season. And had a fair few poor results.

Now look at City.

My point is, things can change very quickly. Who else would you have instead of José?! Don’t even think of mentioning Pochettino. Any manager who has Spurs in the position they’re in with Harry Kane at their disposal, surely cannot be considered as superior to José Mourinho.

You also would have had no chance of signing the likes of Pogba and now (hopefully) Sanchez with anyone else at the helm, other than perhaps Pep.

Antonedwin

Very good news, he is the best we can have both on & off the pitch , he is selling paper , making news & hype , exactly what united as giant football company needs , he seems to be well liked by the player too
, don't tell me the likes of kloop , poch & all those poets are better just because they play flashy football & won feck all , It's not like jose team can't score a lot

He is bastard but he is our bastard

Now announce Sanchez please

dove

Great news. Anyone not happy with it are deluded thinking he is not good enough. Finally we have a manager who understands that it's better to sign 1 world class player instead of 3 mediocre ones.

MAME DIOUF 32

I don't get it. He's done an OK job with enormous resources. We scraped into the CL by winning a trophy that we never wanted to be in and many teams don't take seriously, and this season we're still miles behind City with Liverpool breathing down our necks. We approach big games content with 0-0.

He's an improvement on Moyes and van Gaal. High praise indeed.

aaron221295

Supports
Luton Town
He will have his critics until we win a Major trophy. Then you won’t find any one on this forum moaning about his style of play.

Jaybomb

Why are we giving him a raise? He hasn't overachieved so far.
It’s been one season and he’s already won two trophies.

By your logic, City should have probably sacked Pep last summer.

I love comments like this. I bet you wouldn’t even question Spurs or Liverpool giving their manager an extension but Mourinho who’s actually WON THINGS raises eyebrows. How does that make any sense whatsoever?

Denis79

I think/hope he'll win you over, when we get the players we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.