Mourinho tells the truth (2018/2019 squad)

Norris

Maybe the option no 3 part is true. I have seen Talisca play live a number of times at Besiktas and on Turkish Satelite and although he looks one of the better players in the league and in the side I am almost certain it is because of the level of the players around him makes him look better than he is. I remember a number of games in the CL where both I and my friends were shouting obscenities at him for screwing up attack after attack that cost them games.

The fact that I think he is rubbish probably means he would be a good buy :D
That's always the worry though isn't it. You never know how a player is going to perform in a better league. Sometimes they'll step and other times, they won't. Do you reckon he'd do well on the right ?

RC89

I see the logic, but if that is truly what Jose is looking for I think he's barking up the wrong tree. We had the second best defense in the Prem last season (we let in 28, bizarrely City, despite playing much more attacking football, only let in 27). City scored 38 more goals then us last season. The games we lost were because we couldn't score and never looked likely to score, against teams at the bottom of the table no less.

Defense is not our problem, attack is, so if Jose is focused on bolstering our defense then that is a sign of playing a more defensive game next season. That won't win us more games if we can't score, and is not the football we'll want to watch.
Defense is a serious problem. We conceded so few because of De Gea. De Gea had the most clean sheets and we had the 'second best' defence...

Saves in PL according to Squawka:

De Gea - 90
Ederson - 52

If our defense was so good, our keeper would not be making 73% more saves than a keeper who conceded just one less.

Player Red

Defense is a serious problem. We conceded so few because of De Gea. De Gea had the most clean sheets and we had the 'second best' defence...

De Gea - 90
Ederson - 52

If our defense was so good, our keeper would not be making 73% more saves than a keeper who conceded just one less.

Exactly, even in games we dominated, there was usually at least one defensive wobble that made your arse clench.

RC89

Exactly, even in games we dominated, there was usually at least one defensive wobble that made your arse clench.
This might sound an exaggeration but I really don't think it is, if we replace De Gea for any other good keeper, like say Lloris, we'd struggle for top 4. Our team isn't convincing at all.

For me, if we don't get a LB and RW/RF we stand no chance in the league.

I'm very excited by the Dalot and Fred signings but we desperately need those two positions upgrading and I'd say CB too.

SparkedIntoLife

Such a weird OP. Just a load of random speculation posted as though they're facts (with judicious use of bold to really hammer them home). My favourite bit is the idea that we will definitely play a midfield diamond, despite never playing it once in the last two seasons.
Wow you're nice :confused:

The bold is there because I've written a lot and it's to highlight the main points. It's not to be grandiose and authoritative. There's plenty of facts in my post linked to what Mourinho's said and then done but I've made it clear that I am extrapolating speculatively based on his past history.

Maybe try being a little more civil on internet forums. Especially when someone has gone to effort to foster discussion.

P.S. We played a diamond in the FA Cup Final.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Talisca reminds me of Di Maria...not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Wow you're nice :confused:

The bold is there because I've written a lot and it's to highlight the main points. It's not to be grandiose and authoritative. There's plenty of facts in my post linked to what Mourinho's said and then done but I've made it clear that I am extrapolating speculatively based on his past history.

Maybe try being a little more civil on internet forums. Especially when someone has gone to effort to foster discussion.

P.S. We played a diamond in the FA Cup Final.
Untwist your panties, friend. If you think my post was uncivil then you must lead a very sheltered life. I thought it was weird, that’s all. If you’re bothered by comments like that, then maybe don’t post stuff online for people to comment on?

P.S. We didn’t.

Red_Beans

Good OP @SparkedIntoLife
Agree with a lot of your thinking but not necessarily all of your conclusions.
I think Talisca is at most our fallback option - it is just as likely our club is being used to drive up his price as we are interested in him
We will only promote one youth team player next season. Mourinho himself has talked about integrating one academy player into the first team each year, two seems a stretch
As for LB, what you say makes sense but I hope you wrong!

EyeInTheSky

That's always the worry though isn't it. You never know how a player is going to perform in a better league. Sometimes they'll step and other times, they won't. Do you reckon he'd do well on the right ?
Just my opinion but no. He seems unaware with his head down too much. Needs too much space to operate in. I have not seen him cross rarely to assess if had a good delivery. Not seen anything in terms of close control to hint at any wizardry with little space down the touch line

Just hope he’s a smoke screen for AG :smirk:

Smores

De Gea - 90
Ederson - 52

You are probably right but I'm not sure its quite that simple. We sit off teams purposefully and i reckon a lot of our shots conceded are pretty routine saves.

Even with Vidic and Ferdinand we conceded a lot of shots because of this.

extincti fugax hominum

Some good points in the OP but adding links to would be better. I can't really remember when Jose said or indicated "Young will be first choice or Shaw will stay and be given yet another chance to prove himself".

Didn't Jose say something along the lines of "our summer will be a short one and we will sign only 2 or maybe 3 players" in the press conference after some game? It was after the signing of Alexis i think.

He also said that he wants Blind and Darmian to stay for next season and "they are in his plans" just a month ago.

And as some said, we would have signed 4 players if Inter were not greedy bastards about Perisic (not that i'm complaining btw).

Talisca is nothing like Fellaini though. He is a second striker whose strengths are shooting from distance, taking set-pieces and heading the ball whereas Fellaini is a CM (a shit one i have to say) who has great at chest control and not much else. Even his aerial ability is bang average for a 6'4 guy. The only similarity between him and Marouane is their height. I just hope we will stay away from Talisca (looks like he's on his way to Roma anyway) and get a RW for our attack.

All in all, Jose might have given some tips about his signings but i think you are reading too much into the words he spoke.

SparkedIntoLife

@goober88 : Very true. The press often go against what Mourinho says as the notion that we're in for a revolution with all these superstars sells papers.

@Womp , @cyril C, @bosnian_red , @12OunceEpilogue, @11101, @abdo99, @Mcking , @JK-27 , @VeevaVee : I would definitely agree that RW and LB are most pressing needs but I'm not sure Mourinho thinks this way.

@endless_wheelies : You raise good points. I'd agree that Mourinho isn't 100% accurate all the time and is prone to mind games and such. However, I think he's cut down on this at United and, as I hopefully laid out, his record with the truth is much better these days. What you may be spot on about is United's hierarchy's reaction to the big gap with City. We had some disappointing games later on in the season that might have put more pressure on Mourinho to deliver more in the transfer market than he had previously stated.

@Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber, @devilish : I think we should be much more ruthless as we have so many 6 or 7 out of 10 players and we need more 8 or 9 out of 10 players. Also, I reckon we should work with fewer squad players and blood more of our talented youngsters. However, I don't think this is consistent with Mourinho's past form. In some ways, I see his wisdom as our average players would still be quality players in many PL teams and if we show willingness to sell them, we weaken our position in getting good fees for them. In the past, United have been a pushover when it comes to player sales because we've been too desperate to get rid.

@Norris : https://www.mykhel.com/football/and...ransfer-besiktas-coach-hints-news-089524.html is a source for this. Gunes doesn't narrow it down as Manchester United so it's certainly guesswork on my part. Your squad predictions seem realistic.
@wolvored : True! I had forgotten about Perisic. I don't believe Mourinho will say we'll sign 4 players and then we sign 7 or 8 but I'd certainly not put it past him to sign 5. He's generally true to what he says but Perisic was definitely a big target last year that he'd have signed on top of the other signings if the chance had come about.

@Jackxxx : I love Angel Gomes. I hope Mourinho nurtures him properly. He's had a slightly sub standard season with injury issues and is still perhaps a little on the small side but he's a fantastic talent.

@Social Madworks : Yes, you make a good point there. I had forgotten those statements but they are definitely rare examples of Mourinho not following through with what he says.
@UpWithRivers : Agreed. I think there's certainly room for a marquee player but the many of the big players have question marks on their heads at the moment.

@KevinJoh : I thought TFM would be a perfect Jose type player in the Lassana Diarra mould but it hasn't seemed that he's as keen on him as I thought before he was appointed. You are right about Mitchell shining in a lower quality league but I just see him being a bit of a surprise Mourinho inclusion like McTominay was. I also think that Jose still ultimately wants Shaw to fulfil his potential, hence why he's being ridiculously harsh on him, and having 2 players compete with him like Young and Mitchell could give him the kick up the backside he needs. It might also explain why we're being linked with so few LBs.

@Crashoutcassius , @Bestietom , @golden_blunder, @EyeInTheSky, @SpyLuke10, @Red_Beans : Thank you, I much appreciate your kind words.

@CG1010, @11101, @RC89, @Player Red, @Smores : I think tactically you're right about needing the midfield and defence to offer more going forward to get more out of our attack. I also feel our defence looks better due to Mourinho's tactics and the presence of DDG. Agreed on Smores' point about sitting off too much too.

@Norris @Pogue Mahone, @breakout67 : Talisca isn't the type that would get many people excited as he wasn't great at Benfica and is thriving in the Turkish league which isn't too high profile. However, it seems he's really kicked on in the last 2 years. There's some very good reports on him on this forum by Turkish based posters. The Di Maria comparison is interesting breakout67. Both are left footed creative players who like to cut inside but I'd say Talisca is more physically imposing ala Fellaini.

@SpyLuke10 : Chong is one of those players that just instantly seems like he's going to be class. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't make it here. I also see Mitchell in the same way. He reminds me of Danny Rose a bit who apparently started off as a very attacking left winger in the Leeds youth teams and was converted into a left back. They are both athletic and tough. I think, like Rose, Mitchell will come good around age 23 or so and is probably flying under the radar a little. You might be right about alternatives to Alderweireld and Talisca (especially as Spurs will charge the moon for Toby).

@golden_blunder : You mean Golovin? I like the look of him. There seems a bit of a young Modric about him. That might be a lazy comparison but that was my first impression upon watching him. As for the playmaker type, do you think Fred can fit this profile? He seems much better than what we have at carrying the ball up the pitch and passing it quickly and directly.

@Pogue Mahone : My panties are quite smooth, I'll have you know. I'm not traumatised. I just think you were a bit of a dick in how you responded to me and I have a right to say so. There's a lot of unpleasantness in this world; perhaps you could be a little nicer whether it's online or not. That's all I'm saying, not that you've hurt me deeply and need locking up. I'll leave it with your conscience. P.S. We did. Did Lingard start on the right then? I think you'll find he man marked Kante - a central player.

@MrMourinho#7 : Apologies for the lack of links. I wrote it in the wee small hours. I've got a busy weekend coming so not sure I'll have time to hunt these down and add these. It could well be that I've misinterpreted or even imagined these comments by Mourinho. Please let me know if you find anything else contradictory as sometimes news sources have a tendency to misquote. Very interesting about Darmian/Blind and the 2/3 players thing. This does show that Mourinho can contradict himself slightly. Thanks for clarifying regarding Talisca not being too similar to Fellaini. I've not seen all that much of him.

@Sassy Colin : I do OK thanks. How dare I make a long, detailed post?! It's the first thread I've posted in ages. Ironic comment considering your 42,495 posts on here.

Crashoutcassius

Such a weird OP. Just a load of random speculation posted as though they're facts (with judicious use of bold to really hammer them home). My favourite bit is the idea that we will definitely play a midfield diamond, despite never playing it once in the last two seasons.
I think it's best transfer thread on the forum. Especially if you note that the last part of it is his predictions. The first part is what mourinho has said and based on the idea that he typically tells the truth. Better than the 40 threads we have written by 7 year olds who say over and over 'mourinho can't play young at left back unless he wants to come 5th we will sign Alex sandro and bale '

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think it's best transfer thread on the forum. Especially if you note that the last part of it is his predictions. The first part is what mourinho has said and based on the idea that he typically tells the truth. Better than the 40 threads we have written by 7 year olds who say over and over 'mourinho can't play young at left back unless he wants to come 5th we will sign Alex sandro and bale '
I mean, it’s not awful. Just odd. The whole premise mainly hinges on the impossibility of Mourinho saying one thing and doing another. Which he does all the time, just like any other manager. The rest of it as just a routine (admittedly comprehensive) summary of all the players we’ve been linked with and who he reckons he will and won’t sign. Leading up to a definitive XI and a formation we will play in. That’s all well and good but it’s just one bloke’s version of football manager with our current squad.

Put it another way, when the final whistle blew in the FA Cup, who here thought Dalot would be fighting for a place in our team next season? Well that’s not even three weeks ago! The transfer window remains open for another nine weeks, so there’s going to be loads more twists and turns. I’m not saying anyone should stop speculating about who we’ll sign. But there was a certainty in the OP that I found odd. Plus it’s not in the Transfer forum, which is where all this speculative stuff belongs.

SparkedIntoLife

Thanks again @Crashoutcassius

@Pogue Mahone - I didn't mean to come across as certain so sorry if it did. You mention about Mourinho saying one thing or another like other managers. I'd argue the difference is that he's much more open and specific about what we'll do and his time at United is proving him generally very truthful. I put it in the main United forum rather than the Transfer forum because it talks about youth promotions and also goes into the character of our manager. I understand why you think it was in the wrong forum. Dalot came very much out of the blue and I explained that this was possibly because we quietly triggered his buyout clause like we did with Bailly who was another out of the blue signing without lengthy speculation. Football can change very quickly - a few weeks ago it seems many people were writing off Gareth Bale as a transfer target but the CL Final has turned him into many people's top target. I've seen Dalot talked about here several times in the last year as I follow the Portuguese Football thread closely and they have been raving about him for a while.

RC89

You are probably right but I'm not sure its quite that simple. We sit off teams purposefully and i reckon a lot of our shots conceded are pretty routine saves.

Even with Vidic and Ferdinand we conceded a lot of shots because of this.
I really don't think so. I actually think Ederson likely makes the routine saves due to the fact City starve the opposition of the ball leading to hopeful shots. De Gea is always making big saves, practically every game. At the very least, every second PL game.

Josep Dowling

Don’t agree with OP. I think we are trying to buy one expensive player and that has led up to buy cheaper alternatives in all targeted positions.

I think we are trying to get one of either Griezmann or Bale but ultimately be disappointed as, once again, both players use us to get bigger contracts at their retrospective clubs.

We have already spent £70m

Fred - 25 and only just moved from the Ukrainian league, not necessarily a bad thing but still it’s a massive change to the Premier League.

Dalot - lacks any form of first team experience. There is no chance he will start ahead of Valencia going into his first season.

If the Talisca rumour is true that is yet another player that just doesn’t excite the majority of fans. £40m for a player who couldn’t cut it at Benfica and was shipped out on loan to the Turkish League.

Also far too many of you have faith in the youth team. ‘Andreas Pereria will cover CM’. No he won’t, he couldn’t even get into the Valencia team. ‘Mitchell can cover LB’. Yes that’s what we need, two inexperienced players in both full back positions. His only experience at first team level is Scottish football. I can guarentee you he will plying his trade in the Championship in the not too distant future. Be realistic about this. Where is Wilson now, Januzaj or Love? It’s not the 1990s anymore.

At the moment it looks like we are not targeting our main weaknesses which is RW and LB. This is only based on transfer rumours but so far they haven’t been too far away if you listen to the right people.

Until there is any sign of addressing those two position there is no chance we can push for any of the major titles next season.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Don’t agree with OP. I think we are trying to buy one expensive player and that has led up to buy cheaper alternatives in all targeted positions.

I think we are trying to get one of either Griezmann or Bale but ultimately be disappointed as, once again, both players use us to get bigger contracts at their retrospective clubs.

We have already spent £70m

Fred - 25 and only just moved from the Ukrainian league, not necessarily a bad thing but still it’s a massive change to the Premier League.

Dalot - lacks any form of first team experience. There is no chance he will start ahead of Valencia going into his first season.

If the Talisca rumour is true that is yet another player that just doesn’t excite the majority of fans. £40m for a player who couldn’t cut it at Benfica and was shipped out on loan to the Turkish League.

Also far too many of you have faith in the youth team. ‘Andreas Pereria will cover CM’. No he won’t, he couldn’t even get into the Valencia team. ‘Mitchell can cover LB’. Yes that’s what we need, two inexperienced players in both full back positions. His only experience at first team level is Scottish football. I can guarentee you he will plying his trade in the Championship in the not too distant future. Be realistic about this. Where is Wilson now, Januzaj or Love? It’s not the 1990s anymore.

At the moment it looks like we are not targeting our main weaknesses which is RW and LB. This is only based on transfer rumours but so far they haven’t been too far away if you listen to the right people.

Until there is any sign of addressing those two position there is no chance we can push for any of the major titles next season.
Spot on mate.

RedDevil@84

Media is gonna write - Guangzhou beat Man Utd to complete the signing of Talisca. Now even Chinese clubs are stealing Utd's top targets.

SteveW

@SparkedIntoLife

Good effort with the post.

Th only main places i'd differ are on the following players.

Mitchell did not do better than TFM and Axel. He played 2-3 great games at a much lower level of football and got injured. He'll certainly go back on loan. One of the other two might stay with the squad.

Talisca will never end up at United or any top club. He's nowhere near that level

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Do you seriously think Bale is getting a bigger contract at Madrid? :lol:

I'll allow you the "retrospective" error when you mean respective.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think we'll sign 2 CBs and still keep Rojo.

I think you're right about the LB (Young) stuff and no attackers coming in, plus only only a second midfielder if Fellaini leaves. The papers ignore all this stuff because it doesn't sell but Mourinho is definitely the best source regarding Man Utd.
We wont sign two. We dont even really need one let alone two. It is the full backs that we need and we have signed one. Maybe another MF and maybe (a small maybe) a RW.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Talisca has signed for a Chinese club I believe, another Gaitan where we are linked for more money.

SparkedIntoLife

..Wow, I was way off track with Talisca :D Watch basically everything I predicted go completely the opposite way now ;)

@Josep Dowling : Fair enough. You may be right. All I'd say is that sometimes we do overrate youth but it can also be the opposite. Not many people were bigging up Rashford before he broke through, whereas Wilson was talked about ad nauseum. The same applies to someone like John O'Shea who came from pretty much nowhere and had a decent career at United. I too don't feel Pereira will prove good enough but we do bring through young players and we do have quality. It's sometimes not clear who can make it until they get a chance. Don't forget a side made up of Tuanzebe out of position in DM, Mitchell at LB, Harrop and McTominay in CM and others absolutely destroyed a fairly full strength Crystal Palace just over a year ago. It was a dead rubber game, for sure, but these players can't be completely written off.

@SteveW : Thanks. You seem to be right on Talisca. Understandable about the loanees. My impression was that the Hearts fans and staff were singing Mitchell's praises to the hilt whilst Villa and Palace fans were criticising Tuanzebe and TFM respectively. I'm aware Mitchell was injured for a lot of his stay so he could probably do with a full year on loan.

JK-27

I actually think its the opposite. We started the season banging 4 goals a game. Its only when defences started sitting back that we struggled to find openings. If our attacking transitions are fast, which can happen only if our midfielders and defenders are good on the ball, will we get the required spaces to unlock defences.
We had the second best defence because we set up defensively and our defenders cant bring the ball out. We will never start scoring more goals if our midfield is pinned to the edge of our back four.

At the moment our midfield pick the ball up level with the back four. To then get it to the forwards either the forwards drop so deep they can't do anything, or our midfielders have to dribble forward themselves and then pass it. Neither are great and both take too long. What should happen is the defenders bring the ball forward, pass to the midfielders in midfield, who can then turn and play balls to our attackers in actual dangerous positions.
That makes sense, and historically Jose has been big on the transition of play, but not relying on that to start from CBs. If you look at all of his league winning teams, and look at his CBs, virtually every one of them has been a typical Jose style player - strong, physical, hard tackling, puts it all on the line - see John Terry, Cahill, Matterazzi, Samuel, Cordoba, Lucio. In fact the only time he's really deviated from that was when at Real Madrid, and with Carvalho (both at Chelsea and Madrid).

If he wanted a ball playing CB he had one in Blind but never played him, not once. He also had 2 seasons to buy one but instead he bought Bailly, who fits the typical combative mold of the CBs Jose has had in the past, and Lindelof (not really sure what Lindelof is good at).

De Gea - 90
Ederson - 52

Taking that logic, then the games we lost last season would be turned in to draws only, not wins. And we'd have still lost the title. We need wins. The games we lost last season we lost because we couldn't score, couldn't score against vastly inferior teams. I'd rather win 2-1 or 3-2 then draw 0-0.

RC89

That makes sense, and historically Jose has been big on the transition of play, but not relying on that to start from CBs. If you look at all of his league winning teams, and look at his CBs, virtually every one of them has been a typical Jose style player - strong, physical, hard tackling, puts it all on the line - see John Terry, Cahill, Matterazzi, Samuel, Cordoba, Lucio. In fact the only time he's really deviated from that was when at Real Madrid, and with Carvalho (both at Chelsea and Madrid).

If he wanted a ball playing CB he had one in Blind but never played him, not once. He also had 2 seasons to buy one but instead he bought Bailly, who fits the typical combative mold of the CBs Jose has had in the past, and Lindelof (not really sure what Lindelof is good at).

Taking that logic, then the games we lost last season would be turned in to draws only, not wins. And we'd have still lost the title. We need wins. The games we lost last season we lost because we couldn't score, couldn't score against vastly inferior teams. I'd rather win 2-1 or 3-2 then draw 0-0.
I don't disagree with this. Just simply stating that our defense isn't good enough either.

wolvored

Very true, it'll very likely come down to priorities. To his credit Jose seems to trust Young and Valencia to do jobs down our flanks but I feel an upgrade on either side, let alone both, could be hugely transformative for our play. Without wanting to sound overly dramatic I don't feel our utilisation of the wings is fit for the modern game and I'd love us to address that this summer.

As you say though if Jose would rather strengthen CM further and RW he may think Valencia/Young is good enough for one more year.
The thing is though they aint good enough. They wasnt last season and wont have improved for this next one

Garethw

The thing is though they aint good enough. They wasnt last season and wont have improved for this next one
And at their age you’d expect them both to be worse this year too.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I agree we need an upgrade. The point crediting Jose's faith in Young and Tony V isn't that it's 100% rightly-placed, just that if he feels he needs to prioritise RW and CM and has top targets in mind I could see why he would use funds to strengthen those areas while trusting the veterans to do a job (just about) adequately.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This might sound an exaggeration but I really don't think it is, if we replace De Gea for any other good keeper, like say Lloris, we'd struggle for top 4. Our team isn't convincing at all.

For me, if we don't get a LB and RW/RF we stand no chance in the league.

I'm very excited by the Dalot and Fred signings but we desperately need those two positions upgrading and I'd say CB too.
Agree with the positions needing filling.

Red Royal

Great OP as many have said.

I haven’t really followed Chang’s progress last season. I know about his ability and what he can do in bursts.... but is he anywhere nearly ready enough for first team??

Dante

Average bang
Luke Shaw will be first choice because Mourinho said he was the best leftback in the league.

Garethw

Great OP as many have said.

I haven’t really followed Chang’s progress last season. I know about his ability and what he can do in bursts.... but is he anywhere nearly ready enough for first team??
He’s a big talent, but I still think he’s a couple of years away from being ready imo.

I hope he gets a few starts in the league cup to show what he can do.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

Have i made it up, or didn't the ADIDAS deal say that they wanted a galactico signing every year? I think we're going to buy one big name player too.

Bale made it very clear though, that he wanted to play more, and i believe that's the truth.