mouse over preview of threads not working (after cookie clearing)

cafecillos

So pretty much that, nothing major, but when I hover the mouse pointer over the thread titles I don't get the pop-up preview any more. Any ideas as to what the issue might be?

Best regards.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Niall said he was removing this feature to save on bandwidth. Tough times for the forum at the moment so we will have to accept some loss of functions as a result.

cafecillos

Niall said he was removing this feature to save on bandwidth. Tough times for the forum at the moment so we will have to accept some loss of functions as a result.
Sorry to hear that, didn't know about those struggles. I have no problem with that particular cutback, I just thought it would an issue with my browser or something.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Sorry to hear that, didn't know about those struggles. I have no problem with that particular cutback, I just thought it would an issue with my browser or something.
Yeah it's been a bit of a struggle in recent times to keep the forum running. Due to a recent server downgrade we can't even ban posters with a significant post count anymore as the database can no longer parse the query without causing long downtime. There's a ban list going back two months now that will only come into effect when the forum gets back to normal.

cafecillos

Thanks for the info, I hope you can get it sorted without too much trouble.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
No problem, should hopefully get back to normal soon. It's really annoying as some of the posters on the ban list realized they couldn't be banned and now they taunt Niall everyday in private conversations.

0le

#
Yeah it's been a bit of a struggle in recent times to keep the forum running. Due to a recent server downgrade we can't even ban posters with a significant post count anymore as the database can no longer parse the query without causing long downtime. There's a ban list going back two months now that will only come into effect when the forum gets back to normal.
Is there anything us users can do to help? Does logging out (rather than staying logged in) help reduce the load on the servers? What about posting fewer twitter links and images etc?

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Is there anything us users can do to help? Does logging out (rather than staying logged in) help reduce the load on the servers? What about posting fewer twitter links and images etc?
Both of those things will help. We are discussing some stronger measures that will be hard for many users to deal with at first, but it will significantly improve the server load and allow us to get back to normal sooner.

1) Remove usernames and use a number system for each poster.
2) Prepare posting blocks - this means posters from say 1-300 can post during 12pm - 3pm, posters 301-600 from 3pm - 6pm etc.
3) Reduce post content size and introduce a character limit.
4) Encourage text speak as much as possible. For example "you stupid cnut" can be turned into "u dum cnut" which helps.
5) Stop responding to other peoples posts. If you're in an argument or debate with someone just post your message, say something like the above and leave it there.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Both of those things will help. We are discussing some stronger measures that will be hard for many users to deal with at first, but it will significantly improve the server load and allow us to get back to normal sooner.

1) Remove usernames and use a number system for each poster.
2) Prepare posting blocks - this means posters from say 1-300 can post during 12pm - 3pm, posters 301-600 from 3pm - 6pm etc.
3) Reduce post content size and introduce a character limit.
4) Encourage text speak as much as possible. For example "you stupid cnut" can be turned into "u dum cnut" which helps.
5) Stop responding to other peoples posts. If you're in an argument or debate with someone just post your message, say something like the above and leave it there.
Is that what Niall tells you? You're falling out of favour quickly it seems...