Moyes back room staff

ERICSAGOD

Grumpy Old Git
Any news on who Moyes is bringing in with him.

It would be a shocking waste of United back room staff, who know how the club works, to have a wholesale clear out. :confused:

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Doubt we'd have a wholesale clearout. If anything, Moyes would need most of them to understand our upcoming players and their progress. I could see most staying on for atleast a year, if not more. Most of the first team staff coaching will remain remain aswell.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
My guess is that at most he'll bring a couple of his most trusted team in, the rest of the staff will stay as it is but for a couple of departures and promotions from within.

Phelan is obviously the interesting one. Will he stay and help Moyes bed in or will Moyes bring in an Assistant/Promote someone (Muleshsteen?)

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
They keep talking about him respecting the way the club is run and the foundations in place. Can't see him changing anything really. He'll merely implement his ideas upon the current structure.

Maybe one or two additional staff?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
From the way Muelensteen and Phelan have been talking, they are not going anywhere - or have not been informed of any decisions yet anyway.

Cannot see us getting rid though, Moyes may bring in a few extra coaches but i doubt any will leave.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
There is a risk in leaving everything in place though, as well as a risk in a wholesale clear-out. It's an authority thing. What you don't want is a lot of people loyal to the ancien regime who start muttering when things aren't going right.

lysglimt

Scout
There is a risk in leaving everything in place though, as well as a risk in a wholesale clear-out. It's an authority thing. What you don't want is a lot of people loyal to the ancien regime who start muttering when things aren't going right.
"Things aren't going right" isn't really an issue at United anyway.. :)

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
This isn't the Slough branch incorporating the Swindon lot. It's Manchester United, with professionals. Anyone acting like anything else won't last long, here or anywhere.

I thought I'd read that Phelan wasn't staying on, but I'm obviously mistaken. If he stays, then I think it's safe to say most will. Unusual for a new manager not to bring in his own assistant though, isn't it?

Nickosaur

Get Bernhard Peters in, he's a world class coach. Bastard will probably only want to sign on as a scout though...

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
agreed. And there is a chance of that with the existing staff.

I also think its about something none of know anythig about which is the nature of SAFs role 'upstairs as a Director'.

I think an unlikely but possible scenario is is that Moyes is simply a new puppet face whom will simply enact SAFs decisions on a daily basis. His age means he simply cannot physically perform the job anymore, but he is still very much the boss, but with Moyes do all his grunt work. In that scenario, SAF also needs his staff in place.

LR7

I think Moyes' character is too strong willed to just be SAFs puppet.
I think he will bring in a couple of staff but I don't see why anyone should be leaving. The staff here know the team, have the winning mentality required to work at this club, and know how to coach and look after players managing as many games at the top level as we have. The fewer changes the better imo.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
There won't be an uprising I guess because SAF is retiring, its not like they can coup Moyes and get SAF back.

Plus, as someone said, they're a highly professional people, they'll sort thigns out, its not like there's any bad blood between them.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
A big reason to not get Mourinho was to keep our backroom staff in my opinion.

Mick1991

A complete overhaul isn't in the cards, but Moyes is completely new here, he will need some of his most trusted people around him. It would be crazy to believe we can keep everything the same on the basis of people's behaviour under Sir Alex.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I hope Rene will stay, and as for Phelan, he can keep his job of our transport manager.

Crustanoid

Removing Phelan is a catch-all gesture by Moyes.

He shows the others he isn't afraid of sacking if there is a good enough reason
He also shows the others he cares about their working environment and mental well-being

Amir

Cannot see us getting rid though, Moyes may bring in a few extra coaches but i doubt any will leave.
Do we need a few more coaches at all? Will they actually have anything to do?

I certainly don't expect wholesale changes, but one or two, yes. Moyes would surely want some of his own men around - it can't be easy to work entirely with the staff who only knew and worked for one manager at the club. I certainly expect him to bring his own assistant which means that as best, Phelan for instance can stay in a downgraded position. Will he accept that?

Over time, Moyes will learn the staff and if he sees fit, he'll make whatever changes. Early not, he won't do much, but I doubt absolutely every and each one will stay.

Member 39557

He has a great opportunity to get Scholes and possibly now Becks on board to help coach/inspire the youngsters and reinforce the clubs' ethos.

John_K

Youth Team Player
Going off what Meulensteen said in his interview is that SAF is very good at delegating and trusting his staff.

Moyes can bring his own ideas and style of coaching to the club, but I think it would make his job a lot easier to have them around and continue utilising their skill and knowledge of the team.
They've obviously done a good enough job till now.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Agree. Moyes will want a staff faithful to him rather than the old regime.

I'd expect him to atleast bring in his own assistant if not 1 or 2 coaches. He will also keep a few to keep continuity. I'd expect Meulensteen to stay with Phelan gone.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Sacking everyone would be stupid since continuity is key in building a side capable of competing in a league were there are 2 clubs that are richer then we are.

However we need to understand that Moyes needs are different then those of SAF. The latter needed legs on the pitch to do the dirty work. The former will need people with experience in the modern game to challenge his idea and compensate his lack of knowledge in challenging for top honour.

JB7

Agree. Moyes will want a staff faithful to him rather than the old regime.

I'd expect him to atleast bring in his own assistant if not 1 or 2 coaches. He will also keep a few to keep continuity. I'd expect Meulensteen to stay with Phelan gone.
Phelan's gone?

MDFC Manager

I can see him bringing in at least one confidante. He's be foolish to change the whole thing in one go though.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Little bit perturbed by all the Phelan hate. He's been a coach with the club since 1999. First team coach since 2001 and assistant manager since 2008. How is it that people think he doesn't do anything? That's a ton of travel plans to make.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Jimmy Lumsden, I'm pretty sure will be recruited unless he feels he has a duty to stay at Everton but then the new guy will probably bring in his own staff anyway.

Gazza

I also think its about something none of know anythig about which is the nature of SAFs role 'upstairs as a Director'.

I think an unlikely but possible scenario is is that Moyes is simply a new puppet face whom will simply enact SAFs decisions on a daily basis. His age means he simply cannot physically perform the job anymore, but he is still very much the boss, but with Moyes do all his grunt work. In that scenario, SAF also needs his staff in place
Unlikely? That sounds like fantasy to me.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I think an unlikely but possible scenario is is that Moyes is simply a new puppet face whom will simply enact SAFs decisions on a daily basis. His age means he simply cannot physically perform the job anymore, but he is still very much the boss, but with Moyes do all his grunt work. In that scenario, SAF also needs his staff in place.
So you watched Iron Man 3 last night too. Crap wasn't it?

NM

So you watched Iron Man 3 last night too. Crap wasn't it?
:D:lol:

Amir

His age means he simply cannot physically perform the job anymore, but he is still very much the boss, but with Moyes do all his grunt work. In that scenario, SAF also needs his staff in place.
Never in a million years would Fergie have used the death of his wife's sister like that.

Fitzjames

Little bit perturbed by all the Phelan hate. He's been a coach with the club since 1999. First team coach since 2001 and assistant manager since 2008. How is it that people think he doesn't do anything? That's a ton of travel plans to make.
I agree with you.
As a player, Phelan was a target of the "boo boys" but for Fergie to appoint him as assistant manager of the club, he deserves our respect.
No point in cheering Fergie to the rafters when he says to get behind the new manager and fail to respect Mike Phelan.
On the issue of who leaves the club and who stays will have a lot to do with personality.
David Moyes has been playing on north west pitches and sitting in north west dug outs andattending coaching seminars and dinners ...for two decades now and will have run accross the United staff enough times to have formed professional and personal opinions.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
There is no "Phelan hate". Just a realization that as the assistant manager he is most vulnerable to a change in management. Moyes will likely want his own assistant and Phelan won't want a demotion.

SirFergie

There is no "Phelan hate". Just a realization that as the assistant manager he is most vulnerable to a change in management. Moyes will likely want his own assistant and Phelan won't want a demotion.
It'll be daft sacking an assistant who knows the club an the players for one that Moyes knows but no one else does! He may bring someone in to work alongside Phelan who he trusts and knows already but IMO he'd be stupid getting rid of anyone at the moment.

Giggsforever

It'll be daft sacking an assistant who knows the club an the players for one that Moyes knows but no one else does! He may bring someone in to work alongside Phelan who he trusts and knows already but IMO he'd be stupid getting rid of anyone at the moment.
You must make some changes, there is only room for so many coaches and Moyes need someone he knows and has worked with before. He got older players, some of then will be coaches. It will be a mix, and that is the best way to go.

He has SAF as well, to help him on his way, just as Sir Matt did with SAF. I love the picture of Sir Matt Busby and just a Alex Ferguson before the 1991 Cup Winners' Cup final against Barcelona. Hope to see the same from SAF and Moyes and for him to be Sir David Moyes in 20 years time.

Then we just have to search for a new Scottish manager and go at it again.