Moyes has to go

Moyes out?

• Knee jerk/I object to the term knee jerk because I told you he was going to be rubbish in 2003

Votes: 296 80.4%
  • Head in sand/My name is Baghdad Bob and everything is going to be OK

Votes: 72 19.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blasphemy

If he starts Young and Valencia he genuinely might be insane, in which case I feel even more sorry for the man.

I don't think he will. He'll probably start one of them though!
I'm almost certain he'll start one of them. Really can't see him wanting Sterling and Suarez to get free reign to go one on one with Evra and Rafael with Mata and Januzaj/Kagawa out wide. I'm certain he'll want to sure up at least one of the flanks with Valencia or Young.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I know it puts him in a difficult position, but I'd like him to not start van Persie either. He has a ready made excuse too, with the second leg versus the Greeks coming up.

Blasphemy

I think I could cope with one of them starting, for the reasons outlined above.

Young and Valencia, though, would be infuriating.
Januzaj's not really been in good form recently and has struggled a bit against the better sides so I'd be okay with Young, at least within the context that Moyes is definitely starting Rooney/RVP up front with Mata on one wing.

Although just as big a danger is how slow and immobile a midfield of Carrick/Fellaini is compared with Allen/Henderson/Gerrard.

Going to be a tough game.

Blasphemy

I know it puts him in a difficult position, but I'd like him to not start van Persie either. He has a ready made excuse too, with the second leg versus the Greeks coming up.
In an ideal world I'd like to see

--Januzaj----Mata----Kagawa---
------------Rooney-------------

but it's just so unlikely it's not really worth much time thinking about.

Getsme

Welbeck or Rooney upfront? If it was to happen, personally I'd like to see Welbeck given a chance, he played well when he came in last weekend, it would be a big test for him.
Saying that I think RVP will start, I feel that it would be the right choice.

Shark

@NotShark
The exact some lineup that we seen vs West Brom would be very pleasing. There's no way that Mata won't start, unlike the game vs Olympiakos which he couldn't, so I think that rules both Young and Valencia starting. The only question that remains, is if either Januzaj or Kagawa will get a start over one of them, but I'm not holding my breath. RVP won't be dropped.

Crashoutcassius

RVP has to start. Chances will be few and far between and as things stand RVP is so far a better finisher than Welbeck it's not even close. With RVP on the pitch, if we make a chance for him (hard to imagine Mata, Roo and whoever is on left wing not carving out one decent chance) then at least he's odds on to take it

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
I'd rather he start a half fit Nani then Ashley Young.

Moyes has said many times this season that he wants an attacking, exciting United side....If he plays Young and Valencia, we know for a fact he's full of shit!

The two of them have no business starting

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

Moyes has said many times this season that he wants an attacking, exciting United side....If he plays Young and Valencia, we know for a fact he's full of shit!

There's very valid reasons why one probably should start, as has been pointed out further up the page.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'm almost certain he'll start one of them. Really can't see him wanting Sterling and Suarez to get free reign to go one on one with Evra and Rafael with Mata and Januzaj/Kagawa out wide. I'm certain he'll want to sure up at least one of the flanks with Valencia or Young.
Being cautious this season has got us nowhere. Plus, Januzaj and Mata aren't slackers on the defensive end.

There would be absolutely no justification for starting Valencia and Young unless all our other options (including Kagawa) all developed knocks on the day of the game.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout

No we don't. What we might conclude if Young/Valencia started is that he's resting his players for the CL, or that he's gone into his big game shell again. They went after him for him Zaha and Fabio, look at how they're performing now. What's the guarantee that an inconsistent half-fit Nani, who hasn't played for ages, will do a better job than Young, if Januzaj/Kagawa were to be rested for the Greeks?

I'm not rooting for Young to start, I'm saying that if that happens, it doesn't necessarily mean Moyes doesn't want an attacking side. There will be many sticks to beat the manager with if we see another disappointing lineup, but your theory is not one of them.

.Rossi

There's very valid reasons why one probably should start, as has been pointed out further up the page.
Valid reasons?....The only one I saw was to stop Sterling running a muck on the wing but, at the same time, when has Ashley Young stopped anyone running a muck? He's woeful defensively! And Valencia, well how many goals has he been at fault for? Granted, it was when he was slotted in at RB. But doesn't fill me full of confidence for his defensive duties

No we don't. What we might conclude if Young/Valencia started is that he's resting his players for the CL, or that he's gone into his big game shell again. They went after him for him Zaha and Fabio, look at how they're performing now. What's the guarantee that an inconsistent half-fit Nani, who hasn't played for ages, will do a better job than Young, if Januzaj/Kagawa were to be rested for the Greeks?

I'm not rooting for Young to start, I'm saying that if that happens, it doesn't necessarily mean Moyes doesn't want an attacking side. There will be many sticks to beat the manager with if we see another disappointing lineup, but your theory is not one of them.
Januzaj, I take your point but Kagawa? He's been rested all year it seems

Revan

Assumptionman
Really? There might be the defensive contribution, but they have been awful a defending this year. Considering that being cautios has lead us to nowhere, I hope that for once Moyes will go for a more talented lineup (which means that Young, Valencia and Cleverley outside of it). And somehow, I think that he might do that, I am more optimistic for this game than I have been for any game in last 2 months.

.Rossi

Really? There might be the defensive contribution, but they have been awful a defending this year. Considering that being cautios has lead us to nowhere, I hope that for once Moyes will go for a more talented lineup (which means that Young, Valencia and Cleverley outside of it). And somehow, I think that he might do that, I am more optimistic for this game than I have been for any game in last 2 months.
Exactly! Liverpool's defence is poor! Attack them!

Sorry but imagine Young, Valencia and Cleverley play? Young and Valencia have offered us no reason for them to start and Cleverley? I'm not even going there

buckooo1978

Big test this weekend given our horrendous record against the top 7 and how we've followed up recent promising performances with dire displays

In terms of team selection I hope he picks a team to attack rather than one fearful of Liverpool

I'd like to see Carrick and Fellaini again and if we were to make a change I'd play Welbeck or Valencia wide - possibly Welbeck to inject some pace on the left

Getsme

Exactly! Liverpool's defence is poor! Attack them!

Sorry but imagine Young, Valencia and Cleverley play? Young and Valencia have offered us no reason for them to start and Cleverley? I'm not even going there
Moyes has to start playing to our strengths instead of focusing on our opponents. I agree that Liverpool's defence is their biggest weakness, we should defend from the front and keep their dangerous players isolated. If he plays Carrick, Fellaini behind a front four three of Mata, Rooney and Januzaj with RVP up front, that's more than enough talent to worry any team let alone Liverpool.
It seems like this is stated every week, but this game really is his biggest test, it will show how strong a character he really is.

.Rossi

Moyes has to start playing to our strengths instead of focusing on our opponents. I agree that Liverpool's defence is their biggest weakness, we should defend from the front and keep their dangerous players isolated. If he plays Carrick, Fellaini behind a front four three of Mata, Rooney and Januzaj with RVP up front, that's more than enough talent to worry any team let alone Liverpool.
It seems like this is stated every week, but this game really is his biggest test, it will show how strong a character he really is.
Exactly thank you!

We have more then enough talent to destroy their defence....Why in God's name would we want to play Valencia, Young and Cleverley for defensive purposes???...We're at home, we can't go any lower in the damn table and we have a slim chance of climbing it....ATTACK!!!!!

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I think if Moyes is to prove he is the right man for the job he needs to show that he is prepared to make controversial decisions if he thinks it's the right decision. If he'd prefer to play Welbeck than play Van Persie, then he should grow a pair and do it.

Crashoutcassius

I think if Moyes is to prove he is the right man for the job he needs to show that he is prepared to make controversial decisions if he thinks it's the right decision. If he'd prefer to play Welbeck than play Van Persie, then he should grow a pair and do it.
in fairness, he's been making very unpopular team choices all year. If there's one thing you can't accuse him of it's being too afraid to pick his own team. One player he absolutely wouldn't drop was rooney, for obvious reasons, but perhaps not he has total freedom

Gannicus

If the idea is to beat Liverpool -- and it seems to me that that is a perfectly reasonable and achievable objective -- Moyes should refrain from starting either Young or Valencia. I would endorse both being on the bench, but let's not waste a perfectly good chance to beat Liverpool by starting either.

Either

Mata Rooney Januzaj
RvP

or

Mata Kagawa Januzaj
Rooney

or

Mata Rooney Januzaj
Welbeck

I assume Carrick and Fellaini between the front four and back four, so all that's left is whether we go start RvP and Roo together, Roo up top with Kagawa behind him or Welbz up top with Roo behind him. There's no obvious right answer, although it seems highly unlikely that Moyes would bench RvP so it's gotta be

Mata Rooney Januzaj
RvP

But if Moyes wants sign his own employment termination papers, he'll start Valencia and Young.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
If the idea is to beat Liverpool -- and it seems to me that that is a perfectly reasonable and achievable objective -- Moyes should refrain from starting either Young or Valencia. I would endorse both being on the bench, but let's not waste a perfectly good chance to beat Liverpool by starting either.

Either

Mata Rooney Januzaj
RvP

or

Mata Kagawa Januzaj
Rooney

or

Mata Rooney Januzaj
Welbeck

I assume Carrick and Fellaini between the front four and back four, so all that's left is whether we go start RvP and Roo together, Roo up top with Kagawa behind him or Welbz up top with Roo behind him. There's no obvious right answer, although it seems highly unlikely that Moyes would bench RvP so it's gotta be

Mata Rooney Januzaj
RvP

But if Moyes wants sign his own employment termination papers, he'll start Valencia and Young.
To beat Liverpool you have named players but no actual tactical plan to beat Liverpool.

.Rossi

in fairness, he's been making very unpopular team choices all year. If there's one thing you can't accuse him of it's being too afraid to pick his own team. One player he absolutely wouldn't drop was rooney, for obvious reasons, but perhaps not he has total freedom
Difference between unpopular and daft, to be fair

Amir

He has made unpopular choices, but not controversial. At least not that I recall.

Mind you, despite Saturday's game doing a lot to shape opinions, I won't have an issue with RVP starting on Sunday and wouldn't consider it a sign of weakness or anything like that.

Gannicus

To beat Liverpool you have named players but no actual tactical plan to beat Liverpool.
A fair reply. This isn't the right thread for an extended discussion on how to beat Liverpool but since here we are all I will say is that we have to be smart in our possession, making sure that at the very least three backs stay home when one of our fullbacks sees and opening an goes forward and to keep the ball on the ground as much as possible. I don't think we can beat this back line with crosses, but I do think we can beat them with 1-2 through balls, hitting RvP and finding either Januazaj or Rooney.

But I would love to see Fellaini be found on a deep cross for the score. The man needs a goal in a red shirt, and the despite the shit I've given him here and I would welcome seeing him score for us, thereby justifying the massive expendture for his services.

Mersault

I actually predict that he'll go positive with the same side and show faith in that 11, with Rooney dropping deeper this time.