Moyes So Far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
If I was to label Olympiakos as a team in England, it would be West Ham, so on the face of it, they really are not a good team.

I wasn't that excited about the win to be honest, it'll be short lived in the next round, as we don't have the quality to progress again.

Yes you can say about "team spirit" but "team spirit" isn't going to make any of our wingers develop vision and actually deliver any kind of quality, Moyes cant suddenly fix the quality in the dressing room without a transfer window, however tactically he will probably be back to a 4-2-3-1 next week and he won't learn from his mistakes.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Christ, the caf has an uncanning ability to always draw out somebody for an argument ha.

Giggs was a hero last night but with all due respect, we should not have to be relying on a 40 year old man at this stage of the game. If you want to argue that then good for you.
What does relying on him even mean? He is a squad member who started a game and put an excellent performance. You do not want him to be a squad member?

There is no denying that we should buy another creative midfielder. There is also no denying that if used wisely than Giggs has still the ability to make contribution to this team. Whether is he 18, 25 or 40 shouldn't even matter. It's not that he is taking anybody's squad place or preventing us from buying another player.

I don't know about caf's uncanny ability to draw out somebody for an argument but I am fully aware of it's ability to always moan about something and find innovative ways to criticize the new manager.

Last edited:

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just find it odd people are labeling that performance as "good" or "great".....It really wasn't!....Thrilled with the result mind :D
We overturned a 2 goal deficit in the CL knockout stages without the aid of an away goal, that has only been done ONCE before. It was a great performance and Moyes deserves a lot of credit.

I don't understand people saying they weren't excited about the win or it wasn't a great performance. It was fecking great, I'm still ecstatic.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
What does relying on him even mean? He is a squad member who started a game and put an excellent performance. You do not want him to be a squad member?

There is no denying that we should buy another creative midfielder. There is also no denying that if used wisely than Giggs has still the ability to make contribution to this team. Where is he 18, 25 or 40 shouldn't even matter. It's not that he is taking anybody's squad place or preventing us from buying another player.

I don't know about caf's uncanny ability to draw out somebody for an argument but I am fully aware of it's ability to always moan about something and find innovative ways to criticize the new manager.
Just retire Giggs, this might be unpopular view, but you're 40 Giggs, it's no shame to call it a day.

We shouldn't be relying on a 40th years old, and he had a marvelous nite, but it wasn't expected. You don't and can't expect him to chip in. Just because he had a great night, doesn't mean he'll going to continue do so.

And this notion about he can play for a decade and all the bravado will only last until his next average game and people will start calling him a liability. Fans......

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We don't rely on Giggs. At all. He started his first game in ages and played exceptionally well, he deserves to be praised, not criticised and told to retire ffs.

Just enjoy the win you Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
We don't rely on Giggs. At all. He started his first game in ages and played exceptionally well, he deserves to be praised, not criticised and told to retire ffs.

This.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We overturned a 2 goal deficit in the CL knockout stages without the aid of an away goal, that has only been done ONCE before. It was a great performance and Moyes deserves a lot of credit.

I don't understand people saying they weren't excited about the win or it wasn't a great performance. It was fecking great, I'm still ecstatic.
Fans are greedy thankless bastards is the reason.

It was a really good performance, the mentality, the attacking thrust right from the off.

People sneer at talk of "great European nights", but in the context of our season, of the atmosphere and the fact a team only once before coming back from 2-0 down, it qualified in my book.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Exactly, "rely on?" When was the last time he even started a game?!

Mauzindark

David Moyes is an outstanding manager and he deserves time to turn things around at Manchester United.

That is the verdict of former England star and under-21 boss Stuart Pearce.

Moyes is coming under increasing pressure as his first season in the job goes from bad to worse.

The humbling defeat to Liverpool on Sunday has led to claims the Scot has just a week to save his job.

But Pearce has given his backing to Moyes, claiming any manager would have struggled trying to fill Sir Alex Ferguson’s shoes.

"The fact is, David Moyes is an outstanding manager. We should never lose track of that," he said, speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.

"He has done it consistently for more than a decade. Manchester United are in a difficult transition period at this moment and to follow Ferguson was always going to be a massive ask. I hope Manchester United stick with him and give him the opportunity of the summer and the transfer window."

Former United keeper Mark Bosnich believes Moyes should be shown the door if the club crash out of the Champion's League this week and lose the upcoming Manchester derby.

But Pearce is hopeful Ferguson's presence on the board will ensure Moyes remains in charge for next season, regardless of what happens between now and the end of the current campaign.

“He has got an ally in Sir Alex Ferguson who is still a big part of that footballclub and I would hope he would stay in place," he added.
http://talksport.com/football/david...boss-wins-backing-ex-england-star-14031883904

Woodzy

I dreamt last night that City replaced Pelligrini with Klopp in the summer.

Imagine the meltdown if that happened and we kept the king of Europe, David Moyes.

finneh

Agree completely.

Just addressing the fallacy that Fergie had our defenders playing as well last season as Mourinho has Chelsea's back four playing this season. It's arrant nonsense.

We defended poorly last season - and with key defenders another year further over the hill - the same is happening this season. Unsurprisingly.

Obviously, they're getting more exposed than Chelsea's defender because of a lack of protection from central midfield but that is also consistent, this season and last.
Again I would like you to point out defenders that performed poorly last season. This season we have Rio, Vidic, Smalling, Evra and Rafael that have all been worse than last season individually.

I still don't understand how we were that bad defensively last season: we had one of the best 2 centre backs, the best goalkeeper and arguably the best right back (although Zabaleta may have edged it). So unless Evra and Evans were so shockingly horrendous that they dragged the others down then I am unsure how you arrived at your conclusion.

We conceded 43 goals overall, but 5 of these were in the final game, which I'm sure most would agree was just an insanely stupid game. We were basically conceding a goal a game up until that point, which is similar to Arsenal this season, who I'd also say have defended very well.

Cal?

CR7 fan
If I was to label Olympiakos as a team in England, it would be West Ham, so on the face of it, they really are not a good team.

I wasn't that excited about the win to be honest, it'll be short lived in the next round, as we don't have the quality to progress again.

Yes you can say about "team spirit" but "team spirit" isn't going to make any of our wingers develop vision and actually deliver any kind of quality, Moyes cant suddenly fix the quality in the dressing room without a transfer window, however tactically he will probably be back to a 4-2-3-1 next week and he won't learn from his mistakes.
West Ham wouldn't sell their topscorer to Fulham in January.

Plugsy

If Pearce is giving him his full support he's done for. I've nothing against Stuart Pearce as a person but as a concept I hate him and all he stands for. The poster boy for crap, typical, English coaches.

ninety

To be fair, I don't think there a 'right' or 'proven' way to hire a manager. I mean, Ferguson's knowledge should give him a far better chance at selecting a good manager than Abramovich. But Roman just went for the hottest young manager in the world in 2004, and in 2013 went for the same guy who is probably the best manager in the world. Sometimes it's that simple.
I agree there probably isn't a proven method for hiring a manager. But you would want the board to have a more of a process than what they had. They essentially turned over their decision making power to Sir Alex and left it up to him. It's not the role of the manager to appoint his successor. That's the boards role and they shunned responsibility of that. It seems as though the decision to appoint Moyes wasn't given the consideration it really needed. You only need to look at Moyes being given a six year deal to see the board didn't really think things through.

Lowkey

Moyes will be given time no matter what happens from now till the end of the season. I think we all just need to understand this, and support the man. I just can't see him get the sack. Next season is make or break for Moyes. If he flops again he will be out, no doubt about it. This summer will be very very interesting. I expect lots of drama

Plugsy

Do people seriously think Ferguson walked in and said "I want Moyes" and one of the ugly sisters, cowering under the table, said "Yes Sir Alex, of course. Please don't strike me." ?

The decision would have been debated, argued, investigated, researched, people sounded out over the course of months. If not years. How many times were we told by Gill over the years that although they weren't planning for him to go (then) "imminently" that discussions had been had to an eventual successor? These discussions were going on for years, likely involving Sir Alex in some capacity.

People who want to paint it as Ferguson demanded Moyes like a belligerent child in a sweet shop wanting a bar of chocolate, do so deliberately just to make Fergie look bad for purposes of their own agenda.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He surely will get another season. Whether that's a good or a bad thing remains to be seen. I am not that positive as I do not see a master plan or a certain direction we'd go under him

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
We know his tactical brain is powered by some fat feck on a pedal bike, but do we dare to trust him one more time and see what intricate plans he will come up with in the coming week to conquer Bayern Munich?

Mauzindark

:lol: Moyes vs Pep. Looking forward to it. However losing to Bayern will buy him more time, because everyone will blame the gulf in quality between players instead of the manager. Mentally prepared for him getting another season at the least.

Gaeilge

There is no denying that we should buy another creative midfielder. There is also no denying that if used wisely than Giggs has still the ability to make contribution to this team. Whether is he 18, 25 or 40 shouldn't even matter. It's not that he is taking anybody's squad place or preventing us from buying another player.

With regard to your theory about the innovative ways to criticize Moyes, did you even read my OP that inevitably lead to your synopsis?

Relying on Giggs means we were relying on Giggs! Its not bloody rocket science is it? He had a fantastic game and showed how much of a genius he is. It does not negate the fact that he is 40 years old and we have not replaced him. If Giggs woke up tomorrow morning and his body just decided to do what any 40 year olds body does, where would we be with regard to a player coming in and doing the same job that he did? Answer that...

Your argument is pointless. He is/has been an amazing servant to our football club and I truely love him - as much as a straight male can love another straight male. He can not go on forever though. Moyes himself called him a 'freak' after the other game. He has completed his coaching badges and holds a coaching role at United. That is his aim. For you to argue that us having a 40 year old player in the mainframe of starter for a must win game, clearly show the evident lack of investment and the basis of my post.

soapythecat

Well, he is our manager, and he is going to get time - whether you all like it or not. We can discuss replacements and when he may get sacked until you are blue in the face but there is nothing to suggest the club are going to let him go before next season.
Why not think about what we can do next season with him at the helm....
I'm pretty sure we will have a better, younger squad than the current one. Replacements will want to play for him, for a start.
Take out the Chelsea, City, LFC league results and who can say we have been smashed in the league? Silly dropped points and conceeding late goals - all down to Moyes adjusting to life here, the players getting used to him and his style and the general change of such a sucessful manager. I doubt we will be as ill prepared and as poor next season. Even under Fergie we got smashed 1-4 by LFC at home and won the league - these results happen with this set of players.
Look at home many goals we have conceded down our left side - it must the more than most. A solid LB and an improved central midfield and we will be in a much better place next year and more prepared to play his system.
Let's not give up on him just yet. He isn't going anywhere so by getting all anti Moyes will just make you bitter. Give him and the club the summer to sort out the squad and let's give it a real go next season.

togg

Fergie's comment about Wenger and his 1000 games (sorry if it's been quoted before)

"Overall this achievement once again shows what stability can bring to a football club and without doubt he has created a permanent legacy during his 1,000 matches with the club."

So, that's Moyes here for the next six years......!!

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Well, he is our manager, and he is going to get time - whether you all like it or not. We can discuss replacements and when he may get sacked until you are blue in the face but there is nothing to suggest the club are going to let him go before next season.
Why not think about what we can do next season with him at the helm....
I'm pretty sure we will have a better, younger squad than the current one. Replacements will want to play for him, for a start.
Take out the Chelsea, City, LFC league results and who can say we have been smashed in the league? Silly dropped points and conceeding late goals - all down to Moyes adjusting to life here, the players getting used to him and his style and the general change of such a sucessful manager. I doubt we will be as ill prepared and as poor next season. Even under Fergie we got smashed 1-4 by LFC at home and won the league - these results happen with this set of players.
Look at home many goals we have conceded down our left side - it must the more than most. A solid LB and an improved central midfield and we will be in a much better place next year and more prepared to play his system.
Let's not give up on him just yet. He isn't going anywhere so by getting all anti Moyes will just make you bitter. Give him and the club the summer to sort out the squad and let's give it a real go next season.
Are you actually being serious? So we've only been shamed by three of the top four this season - are we using this as a point in his favour now? Is that what we've been reduced to? Moyes' reign really has just gradually lowered our expectations of what United can achieve over this season, we're quite possibly finishing 7th in the league and some people still don't think something is terribly amiss here. First we gave up on any chance of the title - in about November - then we gave up on a top four finish in about February, now it's a push to get in the Europa League and March isn't gone yet.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
West Ham wouldn't sell their topscorer to Fulham in January.
I'm struggling to see the point of this post in relation to what the poster you quoted was saying.

I'm reluctant to jump to such an extreme conclusion but I suspect this might be one of the weirdest and most obscure posts I've ever seen on this forum - (despite technically being an accurate sentence, when removed entirely from the context of the discussion)

ryansgirl

I agree there probably isn't a proven method for hiring a manager. But you would want the board to have a more of a process than what they had. They essentially turned over their decision making power to Sir Alex and left it up to him. It's not the role of the manager to appoint his successor. That's the boards role and they shunned responsibility of that. It seems as though the decision to appoint Moyes wasn't given the consideration it really needed. You only need to look at Moyes being given a six year deal to see the board didn't really think things through.
What I found weird is how the appointment of David Moyes appears to have followed the playbook for that of Sir Alex all those years ago. Not a big name, Scottish, unproven (relatively in Moyes' case), etc, yet the fact is when Sir A came the club could afford to give him time although there was a lot of unhappiness about him among some fans when the wins didn't come. Remember the 'Ta Ra Fergie' banners?

This was before the Premier League, footballers earning huge sums of money in a week yet really doing little to justify it in countless examples you can cite in the Premier League, the over-corporatisaton of the game, the Glazers loading us down with debt in some horrible mimicry of all that's bad about the world's debt drowned economies, etc etc.

Mersault

Champions League draw reaction

Posted at 14:18

Manchester United manager David Moyes on facing Bayern Munich in the quarter-finals: "I've got us to the quarter-final and now the aim is to get to the semi-final."
bbc

He really say that? What was the question? Did he then get us knocked out of the cups? I'm all for the manager taking full responsibility though, but it also applies to the previous 7 months of total disaster.

edit: he's also said

"In some of the games I have felt ashamed because we haven't played well enough and I have not got a team out that has got a good enough result," adds the Scot. "I think the big thing on Wednesday was that I could look at the supporters in the face after the game.

"We had given them something to shout about. There was nothing to be ashamed of about our performance."

--
Quite honest.

Moriarty

Manchester United manager David Moyes on facing Bayern Munich in the quarter-finals: "I've got us to the quarter-final and now the aim is to get to the semi-final."
bbc

He really say that? What was the question? Did he then get us knocked out of the cups? I'm all for the manager taking full responsibility though, but it also applies to the previous 7 months of total disaster.
"I've"? WTF is all that about. Got there in spite of the gormless pillock.

Mauzindark

WTF ? The delusion is strong in the Chosen One.

Shows what a tart he is. When we lose "the players owe the fans". But when we win its "I've dragged us through".

Wanker.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Mourinho does that 'I' thing all the time, and no-one moans about it.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
...and that's despite the fact that it's his players who get the results, not him.

johnmufc

bbc

edit: he's also said

"In some of the games I have felt ashamed because we haven't played well enough and I have not got a team out that has got a good enough result," adds the Scot. "I think the big thing on Wednesday was that I could look at the supporters in the face after the game.

"We had given them something to shout about. There was nothing to be ashamed of about our performance."

--
Quite honest.
He's so smug and arrogant without having done anything to warrant it. It's very annoying.

We saw his true mentality on the pitch as soon as van Persie scored his third against Olympiacos. Instantaneously, we reverted to playing extremely defensive football. Extremely fortunate we did not concede at least one goal, thanks to poor finishing and de Gea's brilliance. Taking off Welbeck and van Persie, bringing on Fletcher and Fellaini. Negative approach, we needed at least another goal to kill off the game, on any other day Olympiacos would have got their away goal. Moyes often says he's unlucky, well here he was lucky beyond belief.

Mauzindark

...and that's despite the fact that it's his players who get the results, not him.
Point is as long as they perform he can say whatever he likes. Fergie did it at times TBF and we never complained because he took full responsibility for losses as well instead of bemoaning luck and whatnot.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He's so smug and arrogant without having done anything to warrant it. It's very annoying.

We saw his true mentality on the pitch as soon as van Persie scored his third against Olympiacos. Instantaneously, we reverted to playing extremely defensive football. Extremely fortunate we did not concede at least one goal, thanks to poor finishing and de Gea's brilliance. Taking off Welbeck and van Persie, bringing on Fletcher and Fellaini. Negative approach, we needed at least another goal to kill off the game, on any other day Olympiacos would have got their away goal. Moyes often says he's unlucky, well here he was lucky beyond belief.
Bullshit. Moyes isn't an arrogant person.

Also, did you watch the game on Wednesday? Moyes was urging the players to move up the pitch but they were so fecking scared/anxious, they weren't brave enough to do it. It's happened a few times actually this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.