Moyes: "There's no budget" | Moyes told that he can spend as much as he likes

Baxter

DAVID MOYES has been told he can spend as much as he likes.

The new Manchester United boss has targeted both Gareth Bale and Cristiano Ronaldo — even though they would cost over £75million EACH.
Moyes declared: “Isn’t it great that the club says, ‘There’s no budget here, you go get who you want to get, just go and do it’.
"We are looking at the best players. I do think it’s important that we show people we are carrying on the traditions and trying to take the club forward.”
United’s current record fee is the £30.75m they paid Tottenham for Dimitar Berbatov in 2007.
Spurs wing wizard Bale, 23, and Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo, 28, would cost way over double that, though.
Asked about Bale and Ronaldo, Moyes said: “I will not name anybody but certainly we are always looking at the best players.
“I think we are trying to strengthen in a couple of areas. We are short in midfield. We are also a club which tends to invest in the youth side, so you can expect us to go for players in that age group.
“We are working hard to make sure the first signing is the right one.
“I have been left a really good team and I want to add to it sensibly.”
United remain keen on Leighton Baines, one of Moyes’ stars at former club Everton.
But the Red Devils will not increase their £12m offer, meaning the England left-back will have to put in a transfer request if he wants a move.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/5011911/David-Moyes-given-UNLIMITED-budget.html

There's also a bit in the times where Woodward basically says the same, but I don't have a subscription.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/football/Premiership/article1287644.ece
Obviously, he won't be able to spend as much as he likes, but Dave is clearly wanting to sign some top players. The cynic in me also thinks he's trying to keep the fans on side with the lack of transfer business done so far.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
"We are short in midfield." :drool:

uae

Desperately wants a tagline under his name
"First signing is the right one." :drool:

jem

Hopefully that's true. I can't understand why we'd go for Baines though. He's a good player, but we already have a very good (albeit aging) player in Evra, and a fantastic young talent in Fabio, as well as a decent prospect in Buttner. Surely there are other areas where that money could be spent.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
To me, this suggests we are not going to be doing a lot in the transfer window. We wouldn't advertise the unlimited funds if we were. It's more about selling tickets and making fans excited.

I'd guess it came about though with Moyes asking what sort of budget he should keep in mind to work with and them coming back and saying "well we don't really give you £XXm per se, you tell us what needs strengthening and identify the player and we will work on getting him". Which is sensible.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Saying we have unlimited funds adds a few millions to what clubs will ask for their players. Surely he knows this?

Rowem

gently, down the stream
If we have no budget then there is no reason to not splurge on Bale imo. Either this summer or next.

Midfield is the more immediate concern but I'm not sure how much a limitless transfer budget changes things. What CMs would you have thought are outside our budget?

Anyway, reassuring comments, but nothing unexpected. It won't stop some from claiming that we don't have any money though.

LR7

£75 million for Bale is laughable. He's not worth half that.
Typical Madrid tactic of trying to price everyone else out. These prices only came about when Perez said they would pay €100m (or something similar) on him.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Moyes strikes me as a practical man. Like he said the first signing should be the right one. That wouldn't be Bale imo, he must be attempting to make deals as we speak. The cm issue is the main glaring one and I would like a lw other than that the squad is set.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Saying we have unlimited funds adds a few millions to what clubs will ask for their players. Surely he knows this?
Actually thinking about it, what he said was that there is "no budget". That doesn't mean unlimited funds, it just means that he doesn't have £50m or whatever to spend. If he needs 5 players, we might give him £100m, if he just needs Ronaldo we might give him £80m but if he thinks all we need is a backup then £20m should cover it. Our own standards on what is an acceptable price will still come into play and hence which not having a budget we still try to stick to a price that represents a players value to us.

Baxter

Charlie Wyett who wrote that has also tweeted this

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
There's also a bit in the times where Woodward basically says the same, but I don't have a subscription.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/football/Premiership/article1287644.ece
Here. All he said was two words.

WAYNE ROONEY may have to accept a further 12 months at Manchester United before his future is decided as David Moyes, the new manager, and Ed Woodward, the chief executive, do not plan to address his long-term status until next summer.
Both want Rooney to prove he can regain peak form next season before deciding to offer a contract extension or sanction an Old Trafford exit. Rooney, who turns 28 in October and has less than two years on his contract, wants to discuss his future now.
Woodward, the successor in the chief executive’s chair to long-serving David Gill, yesterday revealed that there will be no financial limit on an individual player Moyes may target in the transfer market, up to and including the world record of £80m. Asked if United would be willing to pay £60m, £70m or even more for a player, Woodward replied: “Yes. Absolutely.”
United are in Bangkok, where they lost 1-0 yesterday to a Singha All-Star XI in Moyes’s first match in charge. On Friday, Moyes strongly reiterated that Rooney, who flew home from United’s tour with a hamstring strain, is currently “not for sale”.
United are willing to risk letting Rooney get to within 18 months or perhaps even a year of his contract elapsing.
Moyes insists Rooney still has “a major role to play” at United and intends using him in his favoured position as a central attacker.

Brightonian

'We are short in midfield. We are also a club which tends to invest in the youth side, so you can expect us to go for players in that age group. We are working hard to make sure the first signing is the right one.'

ThiagOn?

Baxter

I don't know why but these never come up for me. It's just blank.

Somebody out there is doing something right. I thank that person.
Says that there impression was that we are wanting 2 midfielders, and that we won't go over £12m for Baines.

Will Absolute

To me, this suggests we are not going to be doing a lot in the transfer window. We wouldn't advertise the unlimited funds if we were. It's more about selling tickets and making fans excited.
'I will do such things - what they are as yet I know not, but they will be the terrors of the earth' - King Lear.

Abbsta

Nice info there for the fans. What's the other area (beside midfield) he is referring to? just LB?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
At first I thought the title meant that we had no budget and wouldn't be able to buy any players, which would spark outrage and complaints from members. Thankfully not though.

ciderman9000000

I don't think we'll sign both Bale am Ronaldo because where then will Zaha play? I think it's more likely to be Ronaldo+Busquets or something like that.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I'm positive we will sign Ronaldo now. I was thinking about it yesterday looking at how Real were going into overdrive splashing out on all those Spanish up-and-coming stars. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if it is them spending all the Ronaldo money before it is announced.

Busquets looks very unlikely though :smirk: .

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
I'm positive we will sign Ronaldo now. I was thinking about it yesterday looking at how Real were going into overdrive splashing out on all those Spanish up-and-coming stars. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if it is them spending all the Ronaldo money before it is announced.

Busquets looks very unlikely though :smirk: .
Thank feck. Even talking about signing that cnut is disgusting.

roseguy64

Ronaldo's not coming until next season. Will be a year left on his contract. Then he can either milk Madrid for more money or go cheaper to another team and get some of the lesser transfer fee as a signing on fee.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Bull-fecking-shit we have no budget. Moyes will sign Fellaini and then say there wasnt anyone else worth paying big bucks for. The usual "no value" talk will creep up soon enough.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I almost misread it as no budget(no funds) to buy any players

December_16

I hope the morons who want direct dialogue and shit are happy now. Other clubs can just jack up asking prices two folds because apparently we have no limits or budgets.

Baxter

I hope the morons who want direct dialogue and shit are happy now. Other clubs can just jack up asking prices two folds because apparently we have no limits or budgets.
As if that wouldn't happen anyways. The asking prices will have been jacked up by deals already made so far, like £34m for Fernandinho and £32m for Illarramendi. Also, United will always have to pay a premium for players anyways. It won't make much of a difference in my opinion.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Not happy at all. Stupid comment again. Two new heads at the top who are not synchronized. This doesn't look good, to put it mildly.

December_16

Not happy at all. Stupid comment again. Two new heads at the top who are not synchronized. This doesn't look good, to put it mildly.
Yep, goddamit Glazers, why didn't they hire 7even instead of both Wardward Wardward and Moyes when they had a chance.