Moyes's or LVG style of Football? Which is worst?

The Azzurri

Comparing them both eras,

Moyes 'dick' formation or LVG's sideways passing borefeast. which style do you prefer to watch as fans?

And if in a imaginary match bet both sides, who do you think will win and why?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Although the football is at times painful to watch at the moment its easy to see that with some better wide options and an inform striker we could suddenly click and start to dominate games - I never got the feeling under Moyes that we could do that so for me I go with LVG style and keep my fingers crossed we can find a player or two that makes us look dangerous going forwards whilst still maintaining the defensive solidity and midfield control.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I'd rather we drew 0-0 than got thumped 3-0 by Liverpool and City back to back again. This style is of course boring, but with Moyes it wasn't just shit, it was completely futile.

thejtrain

It's difficult to tell b/c I've totally forgotten how bad Moyes' was, but definitely it was not much worse than Vangle's if anything. I'd prefer to lose than draw 5 games 0-0 on the trot, doing nothing and still talk nonsense in the pressers.

applemacdan

LVG for me - the 10 home game stat with no first half goal is appalling. Its almost a tactic of 'Dont lose the game' first half, and then 'try and win it' second half.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think the football is worse now, but weirdly, I do think Moyes is a much worse manager... and LVG is a terrible manager as it is.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
LVG's style is worse. Moyes at least tries to score by creating chances.

Battle between both, LVG would win. LVG XI would have 75 % possession. Rest of the time Moyes XI would attempt stupid crosses that will be cleared by Mike. In the end Moyes XI would be bored to death by all the dinosaur build up, lose concentration and eventually concede a daft injury time penalty.

RedDevil@84

Moyes of course.
We were setup not to lose in every match and still lost it.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
LVG's is far more boring obviously but its also far smarter than what Moyes attempted

So I would still prefer LVG

waza7111

I was just thinking about this the other day. I don't think it would be wrong to say we are now playing worser football than we did under Moyes.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
LVG for me, I never felt so bored or disconnected from football as I do watching this brand.
Moyes wasn't even a style. It was just 11 confused players on the pitch getting destroyed by the big teams and overrun by the small teams.

I'd rather LVG any day of the week.

Norris

I think this might deserve a poll.

Moyes for me really didn't have a style. In some games, they would just pumping crosses into the box. Other times, they tried to have intricate passing. So there wasn't a clear definition on how football should be played. I am unfortunately one of those that supported Moyes till the end, and I honestly thought he did well against the weaker opposition. He just wasn't tactically good enough against the big boys. But in terms of being attractive, they were ok to watch (Actually even Sir Alex Ferguson's last few years produced very average football to be honest, so Moyes's brand wasn't all that bad).

Under van Gaal, there is a very clear definition on how we should be playing football. If it works the way he intends, it could be a brilliant and incredible style of football that we play. Unfortunately that has not been the case. Whether that is down to the Manager's unwillingness to tweak his tactics, players out of position, players not good enough for the particular brand of football or just players just too dumb to follow the instructions, I don't know.
So for style, I'd vote Moyes, but this is a results business, and van Gaal wins that one for me.

Smores

Not really much of a question is it. Opposition fans at least enjoyed watching our inept football under Moyes, now most of the other supporters I know avoid us like the plague.

Apart from those games where we just crossed endlessly we were at least attacking in intent under Moyes. Our open formation allowed a game to develop rather than stifle it with possession.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The only difference is we were letting in a lot more goals under Moyes but hands down, it's worse under LvG but also for the following reasons:

1. It's LvG...much heralded with his reputation and experience. He should be doing better.
2. He's been backed by the board to release players and buy 'better' ones at a significant cost. Again, we should be doing better.
3. He's had 18 months to implement his philosophy. Not much has improved.

But purely on football terms, it's a lot worse under van Gaal for me.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Moyes we did not really have a style at all.

LVG is worse but better because there is at some sort of strategy and thinking about it.

Steven Seagull

Moyes didn't even have a plan. It's was percentage football. We are terrible at the moment and Lvg deserves loads of stick but at the very least he has a plan. Watching us under Moyes was like watching a mid table side from 1996

Ish

Lights on for Luke
LvG's style is worse when poorly executed because there's no joy/excitement at all. It's death by sideways, zombie passing.

The fact that Moyes never had a clue (or seemingly style!) and looked completely out of his depth doesn't change that. Even when we got stuffed by the bigger teams.

Lentwood

Anybody saying Moyes has a short memory! Have a quick look below and think back to how you felt when we;

* Got absolutely spanked 0-3 by Liverpool at home, and lost 0-1 away (Aggregate 0-4)
* Beaten 4-1 by Manchester City at the Etihad and battered 3-0 without a fight at OT (Aggregate 1-7)
* Played out perhaps THE most boring 0-0 draw of all the 0-0 draws I have seen in the last three years against Chelsea at OT then got demolished 1-3 away at Stamford Bridge

Not to mention;

United 1-2 WBA
United 0-1 Everton
United 0-1 Newcastle
United 1-2 Tottenham
Stoke 2 -1 United
Everton 2-0 United
United 0-1 Sunderland

At least now we look competitive in (most of) the big games and are more difficult to beat. I also agree with a few others that I still feel we are only 2 world class forwards away from being really good. Under Moyes I felt we were 10-12 players away from being really good

kr0nix

Under Moyes the football was despondent, bereft of hope. The team were beaten even before they set foot on the pitch.

The line up that we played against Bayern Munich (to their credit, we did get a 1-1 draw).

You can't deny that under LVG the fans can actually have confidence in the teams we send out.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Moyes' is worse of course. Not only we were shit, we were being dominated by almost any team out there. At least LVG's bullshit gives us some illusion that we're in control most of the time.

finneh

In terms of entertainment it's quite close, Moyes' team would create more chances though.

In terms of what style is and would be more effective at the top level, Van Gaal by a country mile. Give Van Gaal this Barcelona, Man City or Bayern team and I don't think he'd do any worse than their current managers. Moyes on the other hand would have all three of those teams 4-5 wins away from the top of the table.

kr0nix

Anybody saying Moyes has a short memory! Have a quick look below and think back to how you felt when we;

* Got absolutely spanked 0-3 by Liverpool at home, and lost 0-1 away (Aggregate 0-4)
* Beaten 4-1 by Manchester City at the Etihad and battered 3-0 without a fight at OT (Aggregate 1-7)
* Played out perhaps THE most boring 0-0 draw of all the 0-0 draws I have seen in the last three years against Chelsea at OT then got demolished 1-3 away at Stamford Bridge

Not to mention;

United 1-2 WBA
United 0-1 Everton
United 0-1 Newcastle
United 1-2 Tottenham
Stoke 2 -1 United
Everton 2-0 United
United 0-1 Sunderland

At least now we look competitive in (most of) the big games and are more difficult to beat. I also agree with a few others that I still feel we are only 2 world class forwards away from being really good. Under Moyes I felt we were 10-12 players away from being really good
This. Boring sideways passes are one thing, but consistently going into games with the fear of losing them is not something I find particularly entertaining.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We did not have style under Moyes so it's hard to compare. Does he even have style of football he prefers? He is so bland that I very much doubt it.

Our current style is horror.

Smores

The only difference is we were letting in a lot more goals under Moyes but hands down, it's worse under LvG but also for the following reasons.
It does seem that the club focused on the goals conceded but actually it wasn't that bad at all, city conceded more. We've had plenty of seasons conceding that many or more before its just our attack was inept.

My main issue with this club is that they've not come close to focusing on our main issue which has been scoring goals. We've gone the opposite way and focused on tightening up instead.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Moyes wasn't even a style. It was just 11 confused players on the pitch getting destroyed by the big teams and overrun by the small teams.

I'd rather LVG any day of the week.
This. You can't prefer Moyes style when we did not have any style under him whatsoever.

GeneralGattuso

I'd take LVG over Moyes... I'd take pretty much anyone over Moyes. Let's not forget the Moyes stat "More direct balls from the back than West Ham (under Big Sam)". Hoof merchant. That and Moyes set records for so many (terrible) things! Then there was that game against Fulham, well our first half tactic of playing a million crosses into the box hasn't worked as our 5'10" strikers can't beat the 6'6" defender (surprise, surprise), so what shall we do in the second half? Oh I know!!! Let's put more crosses into the box! They'll never see that one coming...

mu77

moyes was clueless but hadn't the power to bring in the players LVG has at his disposal. LVG is killing football with a lot of newer shiny toys.

R'hllor

What the feck is this?:lol: Moyes style (if you can call it that) over LvG? People forgot last season? Yea top teams jumping on our heads is waaay better then boring 0:0...this place really is in free fall.

Manny

Grammar Police
Moyes by far was the worst.

Truly clueless and a bleak future. With Louis, at least he's looking to completely dominate the opposition, albeit with a blunt attack, whilst Moyes could only aspire to be like city.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
You can't deny that under LVG the fans can actually have confidence in the teams we send out.
I think you'll find it's quite the opposite at the minute.

We know exactly what the lineup is going to be and exactly how the game is going to go and it's not a confident/positive feeling.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
People have short memory. Moyes football was far worst! We were genuinely playing like a mid-table team during his time here!

caid

I was just thinking about this the other day. I don't think it would be wrong to say we are now playing worser football than we did under Moyes.
I'm pretty sure it would be wrong actually