Munich Remembered - 6th February 1958

choccy77

Always a very reflective day, R.I.P to the greatest side that never had the chance to reach their full potential.

dave1956

Whilst we take the day to reflect on the players who died or were crippled, I think not enough is said of the importance of Walter Crickmer in the development of the club and the side that died that day.
He was a servant of the club for over 32 years both as Club Secretary from 1926 and as manager from 1931 to 1932 and again from 1937 to 1945. He was responsible together with the then club's owner James W Gibson instituting the club's youth development system which at the time was unheard of in English football.
Without his and Gibson's foresight I doubt that the building blocks would have been in place for Sir Matt in 1945 to build his Munich side and the subsequent history of the club.
R.I.P., all that died that day.

arnie_ni

Just seen Fernandinho post. Should be a ban by the fa the cnut

dave1956

What was the post, given the day and the respect to the club you should answer my question in a new thread

dave1956

What was the post, given the day and the respect to the club you should answer my question in a new thread
Sorry I meant that given the day perhaps it would be better to open a new thread with regard to his comments. Once again sorry my initial reply was badly phrased

redmanx

No, that's not right. They won their third in the '58 final.

Even so, I doubt we'd have won the trophy as many times as that in 10 years, as we'd have needed to also maintain domestic dominance, had to overcome some questionable rules of the time that led to unexpected losses (see 1957 FA Cup final) unexplained refereeing biases in Europe (see us v Milan in 1969, for example), and maintained a squad capable of it. Would we have signed Denis Law if Taylor and Whelan had still been with us?

Anyway, it's easy to think about the events at Munich as having a huge impact on the fortunes of the club and a lot of dreaming about what could have been, but I think that does a disservice to the actual people who were lost. There was more to all of them than goals and appearances.

United have published a new set of biographies of those who died today, and it's well worth a read: https://www.manutd.com/en/history/munich-remembered/the-men-we-lost
My mistake re Madrid, that should have been 2 consecutive years. As for Denis Law, Busby had long been an admirer and may well have still have bought him if Munich hadn't happened. Yes, it is easy to dream that United would have dominated at home and in Europe like Madrid, it wasn't impossible, Liverpool managed to dominate both at home and in Europe during their hayday in the 70s & 80s. The truth is we'll never know for sure, and dreaming so is not a disservice to those who died but a tribute to their lasting legacy.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Still hits me in the feels whenever I see the Caf switch from Red to the muted greyscale.

RIP - far too young.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Even growing up in the 80s I can remember people raving about the Busby Babes and how good they were. Just looking at their wiki page they would have won a good few European Cup’s without this disaster.

Always nice to see other clubs tweeting out condolences on this day.

RIP

Last edited:

Chicharo

I was born and raised in Serbia, my late grandfather was at JNA stadium that night. Several years ago, I quoted Dragoslav Sekularac's, interview in which he had said that he had missed a huge chance to score an equalizer. If he had scored, our players and the others would've stayed and played the decisive game in Italy, and they never would've taken the flight....
Also, long ago, I wanted to write a story about all this -facts that I know (that my grandad told me), plus what this date means to every United fan...and I was a very talented young writer here, according to some of my professors... Just abandoned the idea..gave up writing... .Maybe one day...

RIP Never forgotten. You'll never die. We'll never die

CraftySoAndSo

Twas the night before Christmas, Old Trafford was bare.
The staff all gone home, there was nobody there.
The lights cast a shadow, a soft glimmer which
lit up the soft green grass on the pitch.

Just as the clock gave out its twelfth chime
An old man appeared, as if frozen in time.
He gazed at the tunnel, then broke out in voice
"ITS TIME TO BEGIN. let's HAVE YOU MY BOYS"

Out from the tunnel appeared a lone figure
Same as in life, only infinitely bigger
The old man called out as he slowly drew near
"good evening Duncan, are the rest of you here"

The figure broke out in wide open smile
"Good Evening Sir Matt, it has been a long while
The rest are all coming, they'll be here soon, "
As seven more shadows were cast by the moon.

Whelan and Bent, Pegg, Taylor and Byrne,
Jones, and Colman, they came out in turn.
He greeted each one, just by calling their name
then proudly announced "do you fancy a game"

They took to the pitch, and the still night was broken
By leather on leather, not one word was spoken
They played once again, like they did long before
And imagined the sound of the Old Trafford roar

Edwards called out "come on lads let's pretend
That we've just scored a goal at the old Stretford End"
As they ran to the edge of the pitch by the goal
There in the stands sat a solitary soul.

His eyes were all puffy, his cheeks wet with tears
As his mind wandered back to those wonderful years
"come down and join us" they cried all as one
"yes come down and join them" said Matt "go on son"

The lonely man stood and with much pain he said
"I'm afraid I can't play with you, you are all dead.
You are all ghosts, and I am alive
That was the price that I paid to survive"

My role was to go on, inspire the team
And finally realise Matt Busbys dream
To tell of your greatness, and as I get older
To burden the weight of your life on my shoulders. "

The ghost of Sir Matt then raised up his head
Giving out a loud groan, he finally said
"Bobby, You survived, that much is true
But we wouldn't be here if it were not for you

For you are the one who has kept us alive
That was the reason you had to survive
If you were with us, all we have would be gone
And the game that we play could no longer go on

If you can't understand why it happened this way
Then come here and watch when United play
They sing about us, they remember us all
We live and we breathe with each kick of the ball

The legends that live here, Robson and Best,
Cantona, Law, Giggs, Scholes and the rest
They are us, we are them, we are all here as one
And that is the reason United goes on

So come down and join us, we're begging you do
You are still one of us, and we're still one of you"
And then Bobbys face rose and he gave them a smile
And he said "I would love to come play for a while"

They played and they played, as they did in the past
Only not quite as skillful, and not quite as fast
And when it was over, and when it was done
They'd defeated Benfica by four goals to one.

Then Sir Matt said "lads, its been fun you know
But It's now Christmas day, and we really must go"
They walked to the front of the stadium and turned
And Sir Bobby said "there is something I've learned"

"You did not die, on that February night
You're still here with us, as you're with me tonight
And you'll live on forever as long as we play
As the ghosts disappeared down Sir Matt Busby way.
Seeing this thread pop up this morning this poem was always the first thing i remembered even when i browsed as a lurker. And every time i read this i remind myself that something as simple as words, although many are said throughout a day, can sometimes be nothing more powerful. They can heal the most broken of relationships, move the most cold hearted man, and in this instance, make us all no matter who you support feel incredible love and sadness for all that were lost on that tragic day. The Busby Babes created the foundations that have allowed some absolutely wonderful players to play for this club, creating icons and legends that persuaded many of us to become fans including me. R.I.P and thank you.

Water Melon

Seeing this thread pop up this morning this poem was always the first thing i remembered even when i browsed as a lurker. And every time i read this i remind myself that something as simple as words, although many are said throughout a day, can sometimes be nothing more powerful. They can heal the most broken of relationships, move the most cold hearted man, and in this instance, make us all no matter who you support feel incredible love and sadness for all that were lost on that tragic day. The Busby Babes created the foundations that have allowed some absolutely wonderful players to play for this club, creating icons and legends that persuaded many of us to become fans including me. R.I.P and thank you.
Well said. This poem is a terrific tribute to all the heroes of the tragic event. Tears rolling down the cheeks, millions of hearts bleeding Red yet again. Lest we forget.

TheReligion

Abusive
When I think about what happened, along with events afterwards, I’m hit by a mix of totally different emotions. From the sadness of loss to the resilience and determination that dragged the club through and the immense pride and amazement of being the first English team to lift the European Cup in just ten years following the tragedy.

The story is so inspirational and makes me feel so proud. RIP the Babes. Never forgotten.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Such a terrible tragedy. Obviously I feel for the players who lost their lives, but also for the few remaining players (i don't know how many are still alive beyond Charlton) who have lived their lives under the cloud of that tragedy. Losing great friends young is awful, but also being a survivor by pure luck must be exceptionally tough. It's a credit to Utd and to football in general that we are still commemorating 64 years on. RIP.

keithsingleton

Such a tragedy to for all involved. We had a team then that would of won so many competitions for us.
RIP

dave1956

Thank you all for those all memories, but so few I have to say. Rest in Peace for you can never be replaced.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Still hits me in the feels whenever I see the Caf switch from Red to the muted greyscale.

RIP - far too young.
Understated yet so powerful. Rip to a part of the club that may be gone but lives on forever in all our souls.

Hughie77

My father who's passed now, along time, when I started following UTD, first thing he said Busby Babes. And he wasn't a football man. He got my books etc to learn about them that was in the 70s. More and more available now. Rip lads

Jordi

We loved you then, we love you now. RIP The Flowers of Manchester.

Tribec

Once more we remember the darkest day, once more we mourn those we lost, once more the Flowers of Manchester, The Busby Babes are in our minds and forever in our hearts.

As time marches on, those that saw them play become fewer and fewer, the tales we pass on are now third or fouth generational but still that team remains one of our greatest, still them players amongst our very best ever. Let us also never forget those that never played again, they lost friends as well as a career that fateful day.