Munich Remembered - 6th February 1958

Moriarty

I was only a toddler at the time and never saw them play, but my dad and granddad did. I grew up learning about the Babes and how the crash affected the whole City of Manchester as well as abroad. How other teams offered players, including Real Madrid. They offered Di Stefano but that move was blocked by the league. They offered United players holidays in Spain to recuperate, they played friendlies to raise funds. Santiago Bernabeu and his great club made a significant contribution to the rebirth of United. Our own league were a different story. Alan Hardaker - the original Euro-skeptic - insisted that United fulfill the fixture with Wolves, scheduled for February 8th, or lose points. There was immense pressure to get back to England for that game and we are left to speculate what part it played in the following tragedy.

.Phil1968

Always remember my fathers words on this day.
"If God would have spared those lads that European cup would never have left these shores."
RIP all who died in that terrible crash.

UnReal

You will never die and you will never be forgotten.
R.I.P.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I can still clearly remember the news, of course in black and white of the crashed aircraft on the runway.
Those pictures still send a chill through me, even now. And I will never forget it.
But that cemented my love affair with Manchester United.

Flying high

I can still clearly remember the news, of course in black and white of the crashed aircraft on the runway.
Those pictures still send a chill through me, even now. And I will never forget it.
But that cemented my love affair with Manchester United.
That must have been so sickening to see on the news. I expect details were sparse, without the 24 hour news cycle we get these days.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
That must have been so sickening to see on the news. I expect details were sparse, without the 24 hour news cycle we get these days.
Exactly that.
The news of the day tended to be events of a day or so ago.
From recollection, it was mainly the newspapers that carried that dreadful news and plenty of it. Pages and pages, all black and white then which seemed to make things look even worse.
I have always been interested in aircraft and it was a twin engine Airspeed Ambassador. Pretty basic and pretty crude.

It was many years later that I regularly used to fly into Riem Airport in Munich when I worked on the jet engines for the Tornado fighter. MTU in Munich were our German partners.
And it always brought back those memories.

AndyMUFC

RIP. The anniversary has fallen on a quiet day today so I've used it to watch a few things about the Busby Babes and have been watching the History of United series Wayne Barton and Paddy Barclay have been doing on YouTube who have also just covered this point in the club's history.

The way this side was put together with the youth players, the football they played and the tragedy of them never being able to reach their full potential made this club what it is in many ways and they rightfully will never be forgotten.

Relevant

I was only a toddler at the time and never saw them play, but my dad and granddad did. I grew up learning about the Babes and how the crash affected the whole City of Manchester as well as abroad. How other teams offered players, including Real Madrid. They offered Di Stefano but that move was blocked by the league. They offered United players holidays in Spain to recuperate, they played friendlies to raise funds. Santiago Bernabeu and his great club made a significant contribution to the rebirth of United. Our own league were a different story. Alan Hardaker - the original Euro-skeptic - insisted that United fulfill the fixture with Wolves, scheduled for February 8th, or lose points. There was immense pressure to get back to England for that game and we are left to speculate what part it played in the following tragedy.
You never have to go too far to find the catalyst for sporting catastrophes and invariably it's those with all the power...... although they never seem to have to face the consequences.

RIP, gone but never forgotten ❤

Red the Bear

Something less generic
their memory will echo in our memories as long as this club continues to breathe and may that be forever.

Rest in peace.

buchansleftleg

I always get a sharp dig on this day when I think that my dad lost "his" team on this terrible day.

He had a classmate who got a place in the side as a result of that day too.

He then saw that classmate help the club lift a European trophy 10 years later.

I can't imagine how horrific that must have felt at the time.

RIP

Ole'sgunnarwin

RIP Its been difficult time supporting United recently and some are losing faith. You see what everyone went through back then and how we came back as a club, particularly Sir Matt and Sir Bobby. You read these stories and it makes you realise why you fell in love with the club in the first place. Gone but never forgotten.

redmanx

RIP Its been difficult time supporting United recently and some are losing faith. You see what everyone went through back then and how we came back as a club, particularly Sir Matt and Sir Bobby. You read these stories and it makes you realise why you fell in love with the club in the first place. Gone but never forgotten.
Yes, things are bad enough now, but nothing like that terrible time.

RedDevilQuebecois

A broken plane
A broken dream
A broken heart
A broken team
No word said
A silent vow
We loved you then
We love you now

RIP.

teddaledenverusa

Every Primadonna that plays there today. They should all be made to sit down in a room together and made to watch the movie. Hopefully that could light a fire under them. RIP boys

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
Rather disappointed in the lack of interest from our current players today.

I think the only people i seen post online about today were Harry Maguire and Wayne Rooney.

I'm not sure if anyone attended the memorial i would doubt it.

chisnall_red

Supports
Citeh
RIP

The whole family remembers this day like it was yesterday. My uncle was in the youth set up and started playing for the full team in ‘59 and the next 5 years, so we were really close to it all.

He then later (in) famously moved to Liverpool in ‘64, being, I believe, the last true Red to make the move in that direction. Not been allowed to forget that ever since!