My First Kit

decorativeed

I've been working on a project recently, and it occurred to me that once you start talking about football kit, everyone has a favourite and one or two they despise, but also they tend to have a good story about the first ones they wore or saw on TV. Also, during lockdown, people really like to reminisce about nicer times, and the two things go hand in hand on this.

What was your first kit? Here's mine: https://nationalfootballmuseumstrip.com/my-first-kit-tim-ashmore-exhibition-designer

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
My first United top would be this one:

I may still have it somewhere.

decorativeed

My first United top would be this one:

I may still have it somewhere.
It's certainly a memorable shirt, but it's one of my least favourite Umbro designs. Reminds me of our rag-rolled radiators that my dad painted around the same time in the early '90s!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Everton 99-00 kit. One2One and Umbro. Classic.

Favourite shirts growing up were my Netherlands 06 kit with the collar and Robben on the back and the 08/09 kit with Fellaini on the back. My favourite shirt now is my Scotland 78 World Cup shirt. Got it for a fiver and it's one of those that you can wear out and not feel like a dickhead for being an adult wearing a football shirt.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Sheffield Wednesday 1978-81.

When your mum shops in Banardo's in the mid 80s, doesn't really understand how football fandom works but tries her best for you on a budget. After some hesitancy I used to love playing football in it.

Second kit was along similar lines, this snazzy Sunderland away kit from 78/79:

I was born in '79 so both were potentially older than me when I got them around '86 or '87.

Edit:
First United kit? Well I went through a weird phase when I wanted to be a goalie:

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Coincidentally, my first kit was United’s first ever ‘Champions League’ kit which they debuted in 98/99 of all years. Great time to get involved!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I've been working on a project recently, and it occurred to me that once you start talking about football kit, everyone has a favourite and one or two they despise, but also they tend to have a good story about the first ones they wore or saw on TV. Also, during lockdown, people really like to reminisce about nicer times, and the two things go hand in hand on this.

What was your first kit? Here's mine: https://nationalfootballmuseumstrip.com/my-first-kit-tim-ashmore-exhibition-designer
That’s such an iconic shirt, it’s probably my favourite United shirt of my lifetime.

I can’t specifically remember which was the very first I had as a nipper but the first one I have real memories of wearing and playing football in with my friends was the one with the string in the collar, around 1992/93?

SecondFig

When your mum shops in Banardo's in the mid 80s, doesn't really understand how football fandom works but tries her best for you on a budget. After some hesitancy I used to love playing football in it.
I love that shirt - always had a soft spot for Wednesday anyway, but it's simplicity of no sponsor and the Owl badge - beautiful shirt.

My first shirt was;

Still got it, it's a bit tight these days and I lost the laces, but easily my favourite Utd shirt

decorativeed

That’s such an iconic shirt, it’s probably my favourite United shirt of my lifetime.

I can’t specifically remember which was the very first I had as a nipper but the first one I have real memories of wearing and playing football in with my friends was the one with the string in the collar, around 1992/93?
Yeah, 92-94 was when that one was worn. It was a great era for kits, expecially Umbro stuff.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yeah, 92-94 was when that one was worn. It was a great era for kits, expecially Umbro stuff.
Yea those Umbro ones are the era I look back on fondly. I think the next one was the one with the pic of the stadium in the background of the shirt?

Then there was the blue and white striped away with players names in the stripes, and the green and gold, the black in your OP, all properly iconic shirts.

decorativeed

Second kit was along similar lines, this snazzy Sunderland away kit from 78/79:

I was born in '79 so both were potentially older than me when I got them around '86 or '87.

Edit:
First United kit? Well I went through a weird phase when I wanted to be a goalie:
Love the taped Umbro ones from the late 70s. We've got the exact same Sunderland one in the exhibition, alongside a really nice Shrewsbury one from the same period.

Are you a United fan then?

RyRy11

I got the 2001-02 reversible kit as my first. I absolutely loved that jersey, my young mind was blown that I could have two shirts in one and that Gold side was gorgeous.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Love the taped Umbro ones from the late 70s. We've got the exact same Sunderland one in the exhibition, alongside a really nice Shrewsbury one from the same period.

Are you a United fan then?
Yes, United fan. Just a case of my mum thinking "He likes football and has been asking about a shirt, I'll get him this in the second-hand shop". There could have been much worse kits she picked up for me. :lol: I wasn't thrilled with the Wednesday one at first but after a bit started to see it a bit like my mum I suppose. Just pretended to be some generic footballer when wearing it as like most kids that's what I dreamed of being when I grew up.

By the time I got the Sunderland one I'd already worn the Sheffield Wednesday one so didn't mind that at all.

decorativeed

Yes, United fan. Just a case of my mum thinking "He likes football and has been asking about a shirt, I'll get him this in the second-hand shop". There could have been much worse kits she picked up for me. :lol: I wasn't thrilled with the Wednesday one at first but after a bit started to see it a bit like my mum I suppose. Just pretended to be some generic footballer when wearing it as like most kids that's what I dreamed of being when I grew up.

By the time I got the Sunderland one I'd already worn the Sheffield Wednesday one so didn't mind that at all.
Ha, fair enough. They are nice shirts. Are the ones in the photos your actual shirts or just what you've found online?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Not as old school as the others but this is the oldest United kit I've still got:

Was 11 at the time and wore it to every training for 2-3 years pretending to be Cristiano, doing failed stepovers :lol:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Ha, fair enough. They are nice shirts. Are the ones in the photos your actual shirts or just what you've found online?
Just ones I've found online I'm afraid. The originals must be very rare by now. Actually went to classicfootballshirts.co.uk to look for pictures of them to post and they had neither.

degea_s_fringe

Black and blue umbro one from above one. Remember setting off the store alarm cause i took the security clip off to try it on.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I remember my dad buying a bunch of Ajax tops for us in the 90's. No idea why.

decorativeed

Just ones I've found online I'm afraid. The originals must be very rare by now. Actually went to classicfootballshirts.co.uk to look for pictures of them to post and they had neither.
That's a shame. I have no idea what happened to my black away shirts either, but I never chucked stuff out. They might be in a box in my dad's loft maybe. At least I can get a replacement for it uite cheaply, unlike yours.

When we were doing the exhibition I got to go to the classic football shirts warehouse. That place has some amazing stuff that will never be online or for sale, it's basically a private collection of matchworn shirts. I was drooling.

Rooney24

Not as old school as the others but this is the oldest United kit I've still got:

Was 11 at the time and wore it to every training for 2-3 years pretending to be Cristiano, doing failed stepovers :lol:
Could have ironed it :)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Cant remember if it was definitely the first but it was mu favourite as a nipper.

madzo2007

Think this was my second top the GK top of the grey kit from 95/96, thought of myself as a very young Schmeichel :D

Red_toad

As far as I can remember this was my first United strip, might actually still have it in a box somewhere.

Uniquim

That was my first

My mate got Hughes on the back on his days before he left

Yes. This was my first kit as well! No name on the back though.

I was about 6 or 7 at that time. And I absolutely refused to take it off. I wore it every single day.
I even wanted to sleep in it every night, but my mother made me agree to sleep without the shirt as long as she could have it clean and ready to wear by the next morning!
I also wear it in my school photos from back then.

AshRK

2007-08 United home kit with rooney on the back. Loved that kit.:)

Arnold Layne

Showing my age here. First Utd kit was the Admiral white with black stripes on the shirt front, black shorts and white socks. Wore it watching the 77 Cup Final win against Liverpool.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I've always wanted to purchase AS Roma's 1992-93 top but it's bloody expensive.