My PSN has been hacked

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Argh

Just got the email

Sign-in ID Change

This email confirms that your Sony Entertainment Network sign-in ID (Email address) has been changed successfully.

If you did not change your sign-in ID...

This email has been sent to you because the sign-in ID (Email address) for the relevant Sony Entertainment Network account has been changed. If you did not change your sign-in ID, please contact Customer Support at the following address:

http://sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/support

The Sony Entertainment Network Team
Sony Network Entertainment Europe Limited
I cant find who to contact

Help me

Edit - Thanks to the caf for all the sage wisdom and advice. If anyone is in the same situation, I recommend reading this link to see what you'll be going through:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/3t78j6/in_august_my_psn_account_was_hacked_and_i_found/
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/3tlv8j/in_october_my_psn_account_was_stolen_this_is_the/

When you back back into your account, make sure you check to see if a "child sub" account has been made as that is where the fraudulent purchase happened, and I couldn't even see it on my main account.

Last edited:

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
I'd be wary of the email itself, and especially don't click that link. I'd try and sign into your psn first then if that doesn't work go via the website directly, not through that e-mail, just incase.

rcoobc

I'd be wary of the email itself, and especially don't click that link. I'd try and sign into your psn first then if that doesn't work go via the website directly, not through that e-mail, just incase.
Yeah... I was... but I can't get on :(

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
I've not received anything yet. Would check all Sony / PlayStation comms and be cautious.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Wait, you can really change your sign-in ID? I thought that was impossible!

I honestly didn't think that one could do that, and if Sony does really allow for that, then that is really dumb of them. Didn't they think of the possible repercussions of that decision?

Also, did you try to contact customer support yet? You have nowhere else to go anyways.

rcoobc

Also, did you try to contact customer support yet? You have nowhere else to go anyways.
The problem is, that link above (and the support on their site) takes you to a huge searchable FAQ where I couldnt actually find the contact.

EVENTUALLY it came up in a popup and we sorted it from there.

I really hope my house hasnt been broken into.. but they should still need the password for that... right?

rcoobc

How did it happen?
I don't know....

My password was "only" 8 digits (7 letters and a number), but it was effectively 7 random letters from a phrase I use.. think: (t)here (w)as (a) (m)an (c)alled (s)am (d)avids. Maybe, just maybe, I used it for something else in the past.

The email address it's connected to is an old AOL one with a massive security flaw (which I won't go into). I don't think they hacked my email address and requested a new password as I never got that email. Possible I guess.

I haven't signed in to it on anything for months, so I doubt it was a phishing attempt.

I don't know.

I've changed it to a 13 digit password now - part keepass generated and part something I remember.

And changed the email address.

Edit - Also my friend got his phone stolen yesterday by a moped snatcher group. I guess it's possibly I'd sent him my password? But that's really unlikely... I can't imagine why I would have done that. I wasn't game sharing with him.

Smores

If you have any PayPal setups connected make sure you deal with that sharpish.

If they haven't added any devices or made any wallet purchases already then you're safe. I think sometimes they change the email address and claim they don't have access to the old account as you can verify other ways, happened to a friend and we figured that's what had happened.

rcoobc

If you have any PayPal setups connected make sure you deal with that sharpish.

If they haven't added any devices or made any wallet purchases already then you're safe. I think sometimes they change the email address and claim they don't have access to the old account as you can verify other ways, happened to a friend and we figured that's what had happened.
Ah yeah. I remember someone talking about that. You might be right.

That would make a lot of sense, and be a good indication that hacked me by getting the info from here.

rcoobc

feck sake, happened again :(

How do I stop this

rcoobc

Sony are a joke.

The caf has better security

Castia

Sony are supposed to be the worst as well, lots of people after getting funds recharged have their PSN account closed.

rcoobc

Turns out someone did buy something on my account

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
When you rang them did they reset the password and change the email address to the one you want to use, because by the sounds of it they reset the password but kept the hackers email address, and seeing as money has been taken from your account get on to paypal and withhold the it and get back on to sony.

seaNNN

my posts are shite but my gobbles are alright
What makes it even more painful is that shocking game they wasted your money on I also made that mistake and played it for about 2 hours. Maybe one of the devices you use to access the psn site is compromised and leaking your details?

rcoobc

What makes it even more painful is that shocking game they wasted your money on I also made that mistake and played it for about 2 hours. Maybe one of the devices you use to access the psn site is compromised and leaking your details?
Exactly. Who would ever buy PES on PSN?

pascell

First you need to ring PayPal and sort out that false payment. Then ring Sony, I delete my bank account details off my Sony account after they got hacked. If you do ring Sony and complain, you might get some free stuff too.

rcoobc

First you need to ring PayPal and sort out that false payment. Then ring Sony, I delete my bank account details off my Sony account after they got hacked. If you do ring Sony and complain, you might get some free stuff too.
For better or for worse, it wasn't a paypal payment. I had money on my PSN account.

Knowing Sony, I doubt I will get any free stuff. I'll be lucky to get the transaction reversed.

They open at 10:30 so I will have an early lunch and ring them then

rcoobc

Playstation have contacted me:
Thanks for contacting PlayStation Support.

We have began to investigate your query. For the investigation we are going to need all console serial numbers in your household. Please send them to us by responding to this email.

Please be careful not to download any of the unauthorised purchases.

Need more help? Just contact us again and quote XXXXXXXXXXX

Thanks,

rcoobc

I responded and they got one back. I'm guess it's an automated one if they dont reply within a set time frame, as it wasn't signed by anyone

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your email – I'm really sorry that we haven't gotten back to you yet.

Our team are working on your query and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Sometimes we need a little more time to fully investigate queries like yours, and this can prevent us getting back to you as fast as we would like to.

If you need any help in the meantime just give us a call.

Thanks,

PlayStation Support

dellboyy

Sony are bastards for this. My account was hacked last year and they bought a game through it. Luckily i caught it straight away so phoned Sony up and got my account blocked and given back to me. This they were quite good and efficient about.

However, they utterly refused to pay back the stolen money that had been taken, stating in the T&C said it was my responsibility. I only had about £2 of credit in my account, so the rest was taken from my credit card. Since Sony refused to pay me back, i just wrote off the £2, and charged the rest back through the CC.

But then, Sony blocked my account completely due to the fact i'd charged back the money that had been stolen. And there's nothing i could do to reopen that account until i paid them back the money that had been stolen from me in the first place!

Pretty much don't trust Sony at all now, especially since all this happened pretty soon after the publicised hack of their system.

rcoobc

Sony are bastards for this. My account was hacked last year and they bought a game through it. Luckily i caught it straight away so phoned Sony up and got my account blocked and given back to me. This they were quite good and efficient about.

However, they utterly refused to pay back the stolen money that had been taken, stating in the T&C said it was my responsibility. I only had about £2 of credit in my account, so the rest was taken from my credit card. Since Sony refused to pay me back, i just wrote off the £2, and charged the rest back through the CC.

But then, Sony blocked my account completely due to the fact i'd charged back the money that had been stolen. And there's nothing i could do to reopen that account until i paid them back the money that had been stolen from me in the first place!

Pretty much don't trust Sony at all now, especially since all this happened pretty soon after the publicised hack of their system.
Yeah. Im hoping they gave someone access to my account, then how can it possibly be my fault.

I'd have done the same as you; a charge back on my credit card. Screw my whole account if they want to make a fuss.

Unfortunately it was taken straight from PSN Credit.