Nampalys Mendy

Drifter

American
Manchester United have been making moves to sign Monaco youngster Nampalys Mendy according to the French press today. It has been stated by sport newspaper L’Equipe that the Premier League champions are already in position to take the French under 21 international this summer.

Mendy has refused to extend his contract at big spending Monaco claims L'Equipe and therefore the 20 year old will become a free agent at the start of July. It is believed local rivals Nice have shown interest in the player but now it is more likely he will join a European club. Le10 Sport have claimed Manchester United have already had advanced contact with Mendy.

Speaking to L’Equipe the defensive midfielder has indicated he knows where he will be playing next season and has already told Monaco this. He revealed he will only comment about his future when he returns from his holidays but it has been speculated in the French media he is bound for Old Trafford.

“I agreed with the club where I'm going, but I will not say anything before the holidays.”

Mendy has already been dubbed the new Claude Makélelé by the scout who picked him up at Monaco stating he was a “carbon copy”. Deployed as a defensive midfielder he has made 80 appearances for the club since making his debut in 2010 despite being only 20 years old. The youngster has also represented France at every youth level including the under 21 side. Mendy has a similar background to Manchester United’s Patrice Evra with both coming from a Senegalese family and playing for Monaco.

If he isn't good enough for Monaco for this coming season then it's doubtful he'd be good enough for Manchester United so the potential move may be more about the way he feels the French club are going rather than being scared of an ability to compete. Monaco look intent on signing 'names' and youth development could suffer, Mendy doesn't what that to happen to him and Manchester United could find themselves copying Juventus and their swoop for Paul Pogba.

Swaters16

If he was playing first team football in France even in league 2 at his age he can't be too bad. It would appear unlikely though that he is a quick fix to our midfield problem. Although, if he is the new Makelelelele then we would finally have cover for Carrick.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Probably better to include the link of the source rather than copy and pasting without giving the credit to the person who wrote it.

Hellboy

He's a 23 years ole defensive midfielder that plays for Monaco. Linked with a free transfer to United according to l'Equipe.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He also has a thread in the transfer section of Redcafe.net.

Platato

Psst!
Hm not sure what that means for our other transfer targets

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Nampalys Mendy has stunned Monaco by revealing that he intends to leave the club as a free agent this summer.
The 20-year-old holding midfielder was a regular under Claudio Ranieri in 2012/13 as he helped Monaco secure promotion back to Ligue 1.
He figured 31 times over the course of the campaign as was considered to be an exciting prospect for the future.
Mendy has, however, rejected the offer of a new contract and expressed a desire to move on.
Ranieri has been left frustrated and disappointed at the youngster's decision, with the likes of Manchester United now said to be waiting in the wings to snap up the France U21 international.
Ranieri said: "I do not understand his attitude. As soon as I saw him play, I said here is our Makelele. I trusted him and I played him.
"I think he will miss out on a great deal. But it's his life, not mine. He has preferred to listen to his brother and agent and not his coach. It's a shame."
Just seen this on Sky Sports.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8767090/

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I called it.

Name - Nampalys Mendy
Date of birth - 23 June 1992
National team - French u21
Position - Defensive midfielder
Club - Monaco
Appearances - 80

Info - Mendy has been dubbed as a ''carbon copy of Makalele'' and after watching him a few teams it's easy to see why. He's fearless in the tackle, despite his small stature. Dictates the tempo playing short passes, and always seems to be in the right place at the right time. With 80 appearances for Monaco by the age of 20. Potential world class player, and future captain of France.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Would make sense.

Monaco are signing every Tom, Dick and Harry - so clearly they're youngsters will get no chance. His quote does make me think that it could happen.

"“I agreed with the club where I'm going, but I will not say anything before the holidays.”

Doesn't sound like a muppet. And we do like to keep our deals quiet. So who knows - this might indeed be true.

Ekeke

Who have Monaco signed that would get in the way of a defensive midfielder? They've only signed attackers and Carvalho havent they?

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
His name is too weird to be a top level player.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Oh Mendy well,
You came and you gave without taking,
A free tranfer oh men
Oh, Mandy well,
You can win the ball without breaking
And we need you today.
Oh, Mendy!

humdinger

I have never seen him play and know nothing about him. But on the face of it he's only 20 years old with 80 first team appearances already, an U21 international for a fairly strong French team in a position we are short on quality...on a free transfer this would be a very shrewd move for us.

It doesn't seem likely though, I don't know why. Possibly simply because he's a midfielder and I have a mental block on us signing midfielders now.

Dante

Average bang
Sounds like a cnut.

He's getting regular football and the prospect of playing with top players next season and the CL the season after that. The only reason I can see for him wanting to move on is for a bumper pay day with a massive signing on fee. We don't need that kind of player here. He's only 20 now, imagine how bad he'll be in a few years time.

This whole episode smells like his agent shopping him around Europe's top clubs to drum up a big contract offer.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
If we're going to sign someone who rhymes with bendy, I would rather we go for that Illaramendi off of Spain under 21.

Dante

Average bang
or knows that chances might be limited given their spending power.
It sounds very much like Ranieri wants him as first choice and it's not like Monaco have signed a DM to take his place.

Bear in mind also that he didn't resign his contract last Summer before the spending spree started. Mendy's been waiting for his payday.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Sounds like a cnut.

He's getting regular football and the prospect of playing with top players next season and the CL the season after that. The only reason I can see for him wanting to move on is for a bumper pay day with a massive signing on fee. We don't need that kind of player here. He's only 20 now, imagine how bad he'll be in a few years time.

This whole episode smells like his agent shopping him around Europe's top clubs to drum up a big contract offer.

or knows that chances might be limited given their spending power.

Agree with LRM. With Monaco splashing the cash left, right and center - I'd be shitting myself if I was in Mendy's shoes. This Summer could make or break his career. If he stays, and Monaco sign a top class midfielder, he may drop to the bench (or even worse) which could dampen his development and suddenly he'll be lost in football. Dramatic I know - but still it could happen.

Dante

Average bang
Agree with LRM. With Monaco splashing the cash left, right and center - I'd be shitting myself if I was in Mendy's shoes. This Summer could make or break his career. If he stays, and Monaco sign a top class midfielder, he may drop to the bench (or even worse) which could dampen his development and suddenly he'll be lost in football. Dramatic I know - but still it could happen.
Why do you think he didn't sign a new contract last Summer?

humdinger

Surely if his prime motivation was money, he'd stay? The way Monaco have been throwing it about is mental, and since they want him to stay they are probably offering him a good deal. He could end up getting paid a fortune and winning lots of stuff if he stayed.

I am not sure why he wants to leave, but it is probably something other than money motivating him, in my opinion.