Nature is wild

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Amazing creature, I’d seen pictures before but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a video and how it actually movies its tail, it’s one hell of an illusion. Iraq has come really cool snakes, the large whip snake and the Arabian horned viper are both beautiful.

I find mimicry in animals (and flora) to be wildly fascinating. Both in the end result, and also the process which lead to it.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

Peruvian fossil challenges blue whales for size

Scientists have identified a new candidate for the heaviest ever animal on Planet Earth.
It's an ancient, long-extinct whale that would have tipped the scales at close to 200 tonnes.
Only some of the very biggest blue whale specimens might have rivalled its heft, researchers say.
The creature's fossilised bones were dug up in the desert in southern Peru, so it has been given the name Perucetus colossus.
Dating of the sediments around the remains suggests it lived about 39 million years ago.
"The fossils were actually discovered 13 years ago, but their size and shape meant it took three years just to get them to Lima (the capital of Peru), where they've been studied ever since," said Dr Eli Amson, a co-worker on the discovery team led by palaeontologist Dr Mario Urbina.

Peruvian fossil challenges blue whales for size - BBC News

WPMUFC

Trained dog sniffing out either a diabetic crash or oncoming seizure of the owner. Just incredible how we give off those distinct smells.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Trained dog sniffing out either a diabetic crash or oncoming seizure of the owner. Just incredible how we give off those distinct smells.
Good stuff good stuff, I enjoyed these.

Eeeuuuwww!

‘Oh my God’: live worm found in Australian woman’s brain in world-first discovery
Woman complained of forgetfulness and depression before doctors pulled out an 8cm roundworm normally found in pythons

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...mans-brain-australia-depression-forgetfulness
Did not enjoy this. I’ve dealt with ass worms before but now brain worms? it’s too much, no bueno

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Did not enjoy this. I’ve dealt with ass worms before but now brain worms? it’s too much, no bueno
You think that’s bad - I read a story of a kid in America who jumped into a pool and is now disabled. There was brain eating amoeba living in the pool that made its way up his nose and into his brain and ate the part of his brain that controls his walking and motor functions. So sad and so scary from something so innocuous. I’ll try and find the article and post it here.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
You think that’s bad - I read a story of a kid in America who jumped into a pool and is now disabled. There was brain eating amoeba living in the pool that made its way up his nose and into his brain and ate the part of his brain that controls his walking and motor functions. So sad and so scary from something so innocuous. I’ll try and find the article and post it here.
I’d actually heard of that amoeba’s presence there, but not that specific story (or that mechanism of action). Absolutely terrifying, nightmare fuel.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I’d actually heard of that amoeba’s presence there, but not that specific story (or that mechanism of action). Absolutely terrifying, nightmare fuel.
I thought those resided in lakes, but yeah it's proper frightening. Like that tick that makes you allergic to beef and pork; the Southern US is kinda scary even without accounting for the Americans.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
I thought those resided in lakes, but yeah it's proper frightening. Like that tick that makes you allergic to beef and pork; the Southern US is kinda scary even without accounting for the Americans.
Florida boy, 14, becomes only fifth American to survive brain-eating bug with 97% death rate he caught swimming at the beach - but was left so paralyzed he now communicates with facial expressions

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...t-paralyzed-catching-brain-eating-amoeba.html

Scary shit.

fergosaurus

Crocodile ‘empathy’? Crocs shown appearing to save the life of a stray dog in Indian river
The moment three crocodiles spare the life of a dog - and even appear to save its life - has been caught on camera.

Researchers in India have published a scientific article in the Journal of Threatened Taxa featuring photos of what they say appears to be mugger crocodiles rescuing the stray dog in the the Savitri River in Maharashtra on an unspecified date.

The researchers reported that the young dog had been chased into the river by a pack of feral dogs.

Three crocodiles were then observed nudging the stray dog back to a safe area on the shore, rather than eating it.

The study looks into the behaviour of the crocodiles that inhabit the Indian subcontinent - which are different to the crocodiles found in Australia - and discusses whether they are “more cognitively advanced than initially thought”.

“A young dog probably having strayed beyond its territory was chased by a pack of feral dogs,” they wrote.

“(The dog) sought refuge by entering shallow water of the river.

“What initially seemed to be a classical predatory instinct of the (crocodile), soon turned out to be a more docile behaviour by two of the three crocodiles that guided the dog away from the site.”

The research paper goes on to question if this is a case of cross-species emotional empathy.

However, researchers’ opinions are divided due to there being “little research” on the subject of the mental capabilities of reptiles.

“The curious case of a dog ‘rescued’ by the group of crocodiles reported here seems more on lines of empathy than altruistic behaviour,” they wrote.

“However, there is little research done on such mental faculties of reptiles and this paper opens novel vistas of understanding behaviour of muggers in general and that of Savitri River in particular.
https://7news.com.au/news/world/emp...fe-of-a-stray-dog-in-indian-river--c-11992267

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
It says tweet not found for me, is that because I don’t have an account?

I need my nature is wild fix Caldo

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It says tweet not found for me, is that because I don’t have an account?

I need my nature is wild fix Caldo
Looks like it was deleted.

It was a pic of a baby giraffe born brown, no spots.

The tweet said that it could be the only one in the world.