Nature is wild

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I suppose it's (partially) a function of my non-use of smilies. Either way, I apologize. My default switch is rimaldo. The lead in *was* 'mighty' sharks being useless without 'lowly bottom-feeders', right?

All insults end up resulting in the same amount of violence as unspeakable things, so I avoid them. Someone like Woodward (manipulative narcississt) is the only person towards whom I'd ever behave that way.
No worries @hungrywing I am usually crusty in February anyway so if I was bristly, I apologize as well.

hungrywing

I'm well aware of what it is and humans are not a superorganism because they don't meet the definition of what one is. Humans are holobionts although that concept also has problems.
What are said problems, in your opinion?

EDIT: noting that under the wiki (lol) for superorganism, it says-

A community of synergetically interacting organisms of different species is called a holobiont.
-which I'm sure you checked before you posted in your eagerness to 'be right'. And AGAIN, this is absolutely not a 'pissing contest', at least from this end (for hard-to-explain reasons)...

So, as you can perhaps see, you might have sort of shot yourself in the foot in trying to vehemently 'attack' and put down something. (I don't particularly think so, but apparently wikipedia might) I don't give a rat's ass about that.

I am entirely confused why you would respond to someone saying that sharks are perfect by pointing out that they're part of a food chain or, more widely, of the earth's ecosystem. I mean, isn't everything?
Absolutely, and as one can see from below, DD and I have at least enough 'civility-stock' built up over the years to know that the other is fundamentally nonviolent.

I suppose it's (partially) a function of my non-use of smilies. Either way, I apologize. My default switch is rimaldo. The lead in *was* 'mighty' sharks being useless without 'lowly bottom-feeders', right?...

...Also you just offended all Disney princesses by calling them low-awareness.
No worries @hungrywing I am usually crusty in February anyway so if I was bristly, I apologize as well.
** line break**

It's also a little odd to see you adopt such a condescending tone (the aspiring Disney princesses), followed by the above argument from authority with a sprinkle of condescension ('many objectively smarter people')
You've misquoted there. I (EDIT: or someone like me) would never, ever do that. It's a subtle but crucial distinction. The word 'smarter' was in quotes. Not the phrase 'many objectively smarter people'.

- while actually your use of the term 'superorganism' here is pretty obscure and not accepted scientific consensus at all.
No one ever said it was 'accepted scientific consensus'.

(Edited to tone this down a little.)
Much appreciated.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It is a useless term. What animal or plant isn't a Holobiont by its definition? Unless you don't consider an individual a discrete ecological unit as then nothing would be a holobiont.

Whatever the issues with that definition it still doesn't make humans a superorganism. We are individuals even if we have various types of symbiotic relationship with other organisms in/on us.

Last edited:

hungrywing

It is a useless term.
I agree.

What animal or plant isn't a Holobiont by its definition?

Whatever the issues with that definition it still doesn't make humans a superorganism.
Okay, which would also not make them holobionts, which, again, are a subcategory of superorganism. At least per wikipedia.

We are individuals even if we have various types of symbiotic relationship with other organisms in/on us.
Again, personally I don't care about anything except would YOU draw the line? 'Individual' genetic sequence, end of story?

But then what about stuff like endogenous retroviruses, right? Embedded in the 'unique' 'individual' sequence of the 'discrete' organism.

There is no 'right' or 'wrong' answer, and anyone who would say 'omg Wibble, last week you said _______ you pussy now you're backtracking and changing your mind' is not worth including in this discussion. Notice I am not doing that but am focusing on the potential overlaps.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
You've misquoted there. I (EDIT: or someone like me) would never, ever do that. It's a subtle but crucial distinction. The word 'smarter' was in quotes. Not the phrase 'many objectively smarter people'.
It's not really relevant to the thread, but out of curiosity: what did you mean for the quotes to signify then? If these people are not actually smarter, your argument from authority seems to fall through, and you're not really making any point there anymore...?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Again, personally I don't care about anything except would YOU draw the line? 'Individual' genetic sequence, end of story?
Wouldn't it be better to care what the actual definition of something is?

Superorganisms are individuals of the same species with individuals having different essential functions that contribute to the functioning of the whole e.g. ants or some corals. Humans therefore plainly aren't a superorganism. Holobiont isn't a sub-category of superorganism unless the definition has recently changed. It describes a host and the organisms in/on/near it as an ecological unit. Defining ecological units is difficult enough at the best of times but trying to apply them to an individual and other surrounding organisms in order to define them as a separate community or population seems to be rather problematic to me.

Given that holobiont is primarily a term of interest to those looking at hologenomic theory, which I currently don't think has much evidence to support it above and beyond known selection pressures, and its lack of firm or consistent definition, it doesn't really interest me as it isn't really very useful. If the evidence changes maybe it will begin to interest me. Symbiotic relationships are obviously important evolutionary considerations and things like microbiomes do influence their hosts to a degree great than previously thought but I don't currently see how trying to shoehorn them into a definition like this helps study them meaningfully.

There is no 'right' or 'wrong' answer, and anyone who would say 'omg Wibble, last week you said _______ you pussy now you're backtracking and changing your mind' is not worth including in this discussion. Notice I am not doing that but am focusing on the potential overlaps.
I have no idea what you are going on about.

But then what about stuff like endogenous retroviruses, right? Embedded in the 'unique' 'individual' sequence of the 'discrete' organism.
What about it?

And what has any of this to do with sharks not evolving much over many millions of years because they fit their ecological niche so well?

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I just came in here to see lions eating gazelles and shit like that, but now I'm looking at a bunch of boring cnuts arguing over what pretty much amounts to feck all except which one wiped their arse with word-a-day toilet paper the most this morning. This isn't acceptable and I demand someone do something about it. @Cheimoon; gazelle me.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I just came in here to see lions eating gazelles and shit like that, but now I'm looking at a bunch of boring cnuts arguing over what pretty much amounts to feck all except which one wiped their arse with word-a-day toilet paper the most this morning. This isn't acceptable and I demand someone do something about it. @Cheimoon; gazelle me.

AaronRedDevil

Anyone see the video of the shark eating the man in Sydney. My worst fear. That's why I stay my ass out of the ocean.

AaronRedDevil

Theres a video of it? Fcuk. Of course there is
Yep there's 2 of them on Reddit. One is the first attack. 2nd is the body floating on the water with a missing leg. Then the shark comes back and quickly disappears with the body. Fecking brutal. Also on YouTube I think, If you're curious.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Yep there's 2 of them on Reddit. One is the first attack. 2nd is the body floating on the water with a missing leg. Then the shark comes back and quickly disappears with the body. Fecking brutal. Also on YouTube I think, If you're curious.
The knowledge of the video existing is disturbing enough for me!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Reckon that will put a massive dampener in the number of surfers out for the next while. Probably put me off for life.
People were back in the water yesterday despite all beaches being closed. It might reduce numbers slightly today but it will be back to normal very soon.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
People were back in the water yesterday despite all beaches being closed. It might reduce numbers slightly today but it will be back to normal very soon.
Any idea as to how it got so close? I thought there was nets to prevent this? Will they be trying to capture/relocate the shark now?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Any idea as to how it got so close? I thought there was nets to prevent this? Will they be trying to capture/relocate the shark now?
It wasn't on a beach. He was practicing for an ocean swim in deep water around a headland. And shark nets do feck all other than provide an illusion of safety while killing mainly rays and dolphins. When they do (unnecessarily) kill sharks they are often caught swimming back out to sea.

They might try to find the shark but I doubt it as great white cover great distances and in any case it wasn't targeting humans and likely thought the swimmer in a dark wetsuit was a seal.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
First shark fatality in Sydney in something like 60 years. I didn’t know they had great whites there.
Last fatality was in the harbour in the 1960's. The last oceanic fatality was even longer ago. Maybe even 100 years ago. A diver died off Bondi in the 90's and his wetsuit was found with teeth marks but it isn't known if he was killed by sharks or they just fed on the body after death. There was also a navy diver who lost a hand and maybe a leg to a shark in the harbour in the 90's (I think).

Berbasbullet

Nets don't do shit. It's the dumbest thing ever thought up. Going after random sharks is also pretty pointless.
It wasn't on a beach. He was practicing for an ocean swim in deep water around a headland. And shark nets do feck all other than provide an illusion of safety while killing mainly rays and dolphins. When they do (unnecessarily) kill sharks they are often caught swimming back out to sea.

They might try to find the shark but I doubt it as great white cover great distances and in any case it wasn't targeting humans and likely thought the swimmer in a dark wetsuit was a seal.
Ah okay! I thought for some reason the nets did something and I thought of a shark attacked someone they’d try to locate it, tag it and put it back to deep water for some reason.

Frightening how close to shore Great Whites come, suppose that’s where they can find seals?

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Great whites hunt all sorts, not just seals. Rays for instance bring Great Whites real close in. This one was 13ft so not even fully grown. We should hopefully find out if they're in UK waters ( UK is perfect for them, its more a mystery why we don't have them) this year when Osearch research vessel does a proper expedition around our waters.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I hope they don’t kill the shark

Dr. Dwayne

Ah okay! I thought for some reason the nets did something and I thought of a shark attacked someone they’d try to locate it, tag it and put it back to deep water for some reason.

Frightening how close to shore Great Whites come, suppose that’s where they can find seals?
The nets kill all sea life at random. Sharks, turtles, whales and dolphins. Everything that swims can get caught in them.

If they go looking for a shark, they kill whichever ones they find. Classic human need for vengeance.

Berbasbullet

Great whites hunt all sorts, not just seals. Rays for instance bring Great Whites real close in. This one was 13ft so not even fully grown. We should hopefully find out if they're in UK waters ( UK is perfect for them, its more a mystery why we don't have them) this year when Osearch research vessel does a proper expedition around our waters.
Isn’t our waters too cold for them?

Dr. Dwayne

Barbados will have sharks and a few Great Whites as well even if attacks are very rare.
There are reports of tigers around some parts of the island (the Atlantic side) but no history of attacks. I think the Caribbean side isn't their cup of tea. I still got a little nervous on the jet ski once I got over the dark water, mind you, but near the beaches I feel perfectly safe.

But white sharks? No, their preferred food sources are no where near there

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Isn’t our waters too cold for them?
Global warming bro.

All sorts of marine life ending up in the waters around here that you wouldn’t usually find here.

Having said that, Great Whites don’t mind cold water at all. There’s fecking loads of them round South Africa, where the water temp is absolutely freezing.