Nba 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excal

That's why I keep bringing up title-chasers. Guys who are old but haven't won a championship yet and have made all the money they could possibly need but really want that ring. All the younger guys are going to sign someplace else for multi-year deals. The old ones (like Shaq, although he's not missing rings) will flock towards a team like Miami with really talented players so they can ride their back to get that elusive championship.
Thing is, for this to be of any real benefit to the Heat, this has to be a guy who is still a useful NBA player, i.e. he could be making millions more with some other team, is willing to forgo all but one of those millions to play on a contender (when there are contenders out there who can afford to pay more,) and who sees the '10-11 Heat as the best chance to do so, and I don't think that last bit is remotely a guarantee.

This isn't KG/Allen/Pierce coming into a team with some surrounding talent like Rondo and roleplayers like Powe, Cassell, House, etc, this is three superstars with absolutely NO ONE around them. It'd be like sticking Barca's attack with Leeds' back four and Rob Green as keeper. Yeah, the team's gonna do some damage, but they're hardly a lock to win the CL.

Take a Heat team of the five players they've got now plus one MLE plus 6 minimum contracts. Compare that team to the Celtics or Bulls or Lakers or other contenders who have some cap room as they stand right now. If you're a good but aging player, are you really sure that the Heat are such a lock that you'd leave 80-90% of the money you could be making on the table to play with them?

I forgot about the mid-level exception. I think with that, the Heat have enough room to fill the team with minimum contracts.
Minimum contracts aren't affected by the cap. You can sign all the minimum contracts you want. The problem is, they won't have a choice.

I was thinking the same thing. I'd love to see him back in FL. I don't agree that their egos will clash. LBJ has shown consistently that he has no issues passing the ball when needed
Shooting the ball when needed? That he's had the occasional issue with.

and getting the rest of the team into the game.
Assuming he hasn't taken himself out of it.

Yeah I brought up the mid level exception yesterday they could get a pretty good player for 5 million imo, especially considering it is only a one year deal. I think Kenyon Martin is out of his contract this summer as he has the option to opt out, so he could add size and grit that they would need, and he isnt hurting for money after raping the Nuggets for 16 million a year the past 6 years
:lol: at the idea that Kenyon Martin is A) going to take an $11M pay cut, B) the answer to any problem the Heat might have.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Rumor Mike Miller might sign with Miami soon. Then players like Shaq, Brad Miller, Reddick, Jason Williams were all mentioned as possible players that would sign for the minimum. Though both Millers and Reddick would probably get bigger offers and more years from other clubs. I also think some of the top teams might offer more money just to keep players from Miami. A collective feck you from other teams.

Alex

I think so as well, a lot of players like Reddick I would assume would take the money, they will make more if they sign a big deal this year than if they do in the future so it makes no sense to play for the minimum, Shaq on the otherhand is fecking loaded loves Miami and will go there I assume

Status
Not open for further replies.