Nba 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir

According to reports in the US, the Heat don't seem to think so. Not that they know what's gonna happen, they're just not rulling it out. Hopefully it won't happen, though.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
A few of the reports I've read seem to favour LeBron staying in Cleveland. I still think he's tempted by NY and will join Stoudamiere.

No suprise Bosh going to Miami, but does the Heat still have enough cap room to entice James to play alongside Wade/Bosh??

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
A few of the reports I've read seem to favour LeBron staying in Cleveland. I still think he's tempted by NY and will join Stoudamiere.

No suprise Bosh going to Miami, but does the Heat still have enough cap room to entice James to play alongside Wade/Bosh??
I think they do have enough cap room. Either that or they would have enough cap room if they get rid of Michael Beasley.

hungrywing

ESPN has done the Miami cap room thing a bajillion times. The Heat end up with something like 256k USD to split between the other nine players.

ha_rooney

Durant agrees 5-year extension with the Thunder.

Alex

ESPN has done the Miami cap room thing a bajillion times. The Heat end up with something like 256k USD to split between the other nine players.
Actually you can fill the roster with minimum contracts, also I still think that they would have a midlevel exception, that said I dont forsee it happening, LeBron will go to NYC or stay in Cleveland.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Well, they are American...

ESPN has Wade and Bosh announcing today they're signing with Miami.
I believe Real Madrid do this with their signings and last I checked, Real were located in Spain which is in Europe.

Just saying.

I find it a bit of an ego thing from LBJ. I'm put off by it. It has become the thing to do in the US as you pointed out. High school prospects do it now too.

My prediction: he's staying in Cleveland.

Although it's virtually guaranteed Carmelo will sign with the Knicks next summer. LBJ could take the Knicks offer with an eye towards 50 wins in 2010-11 and then creating a dynasty when Carmelo arrives. LBJ would play PG in D'Antoni's system, ala Magic Johnson with the Lakers.

They could also do a sign-and-trade with Lee going somewhere for a couple quality role players. Though Lee might end up getting overpaid by the Nets when they miss out on free agents.

MrMarcello

I think they do have enough cap room. Either that or they would have enough cap room if they get rid of Michael Beasley.
And have basically a couple million leftover to sign 8-10 players. It's near impossible to work this under the cap and have the mandatory 13 players signed without breaking cap rules.

The smart thing for the Heat to do would be spend that extra cap money on some good role players.

Amir

I believe Real Madrid do this with their signings and last I checked, Real were located in Spain which is in Europe.

Just saying.
Real turn their players into a circus after they sign them. James is making this some sort of an American Idol elimination show with everyone watching. If you have made up your mind, just so where you're going and get it over with. One would think his decision is going to determine the power battle in the league for years and years. He hasn't even won a title yet!

As Stan van Gundy said:

Come on, an hour long? It takes 15 seconds to say "I've decided to stay in Cleveland" but we've got another 59 minutes and 45 seconds to, what? Promote LeBron James? As if we don't do that enough. Look, the guy's a great player and wherever he goes, my bet would be Cleveland, that place will be excited. But an hour long special?

Alex

OKC could have matched anything after next year, plus with a new collective bargaining agreement he would be getting less money if he didnt sign an extension this year.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
And have basically a couple million leftover to sign 8-10 players. It's near impossible to work this under the cap and have the mandatory 13 players signed without breaking cap rules.

The smart thing for the Heat to do would be spend that extra cap money on some good role players.
Basically they need old veteran title-chasers.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I'm not a huge fan of Lebron and all his attention whoring. He's known what he wants to do all year and his play in the play-offs proved that. He just wasn't good enough. Now, to have a show announcing that "king" James will be going to -insert city- is ridiculous. He's shown more interest in giving himself publicity than he did about the play-offs.

He's also a douche for calling himself King James despite never winning anything.

Alex

I'm pretty sure he won the Ohio State Basketball Championship :rolleyes: :lol:

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Don't know if this is old or not, but from Twitter @WaterWarren

BREAKING NEWS! #Apple is releasing a special edition Lebron James iPhone. Problem is, it only vibrates b/c it doesn't have a RING #LBJ #NBA
Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have him on my team, and I don't know if I can even say that I wouldn't have milked it as much as he's done the last couple months if I were in the same situation, but I can't say that he didn't induct himself into the douchebag hall of fame. The more time goes by the more I'm glad the Kings aren't involved in this circus clusterfeck.

Edit: And in all seriousness, ESPN's Chris Broussard says the destination is Miami barring a last minute change of heart. Now why an ESPN employee would be allowed to open his trap and undermine their own potential hour-long special by leaking the announcement is beyond my powers of explanation (but it totally cracks me up that everyone would know before the airing). So really this could totally be bogus. Sources are people "with knowledge of the situation" which could really mean numbnut off the street.

Neutral

BTV
LeBron James Headed to Miami Heat, According to Report

7/08/2010 12:58 AM ET By Bethlehem Shoals

LeBron James and Dwyane WadeAlan Hahn of Newsday may have broken the sports story of the century -- one so big that the "scoop" was spun off into its own television special.

ESPN or no ESPN, intrepid reporters like Hahn remained eager to beat LeBron James to the punch. A little while after the stroke of midnight, Hahn tweeted: "Multiple sources are telling Newsday that LeBron James has decided to join Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami. The new Big Three is here."

What role did the increased salary cap play in this move (if it's true)? Maybe LeBron will tell us tomorrow. Or maybe this is a smokescreen, misleading everyone in advance of the real answer. That's not necessarily such a great strategy though, since by the time the special airs, the news itself might not even be news anymore.

One thing's for sure: if Wade, Bosh and James really end up on the same team, this latest Big Three is both the greatest assemblage of individual All-Stars on one team since Lakers or Celtics of the eighties. And unlike the 2007-08 Celtics, they're entering an all-but-empty roster. The question is, will that even make a difference?

Update: ESPN's Chris Broussard is hearing the same thing.
So scoops saying he is going to NY and Miami...and some saying for sure, he is staying...

hahaha.....

manufanatic

"crazy"
5% would be 15 million people tuning in...that would be a massive financial success for espn/lebron.
I believe i was responding to the quote well they are American. Yes we have a large population so 15 million would be a financial boom to ESPN and Lebron but the reality is that 95% of us dont give a rats ass about this whole affair.

Surely if Wayne Rooney held a hour long special at the age of 18 saying where he was going to sign or stay in Everton a higher percentage of Englishmen and women would watch then will tune in tonight to watch this in the US.

ha_rooney

IF he goes to Miami, on paper it will be a great team, but will it work on the court? Sooner or later I think their ego's will clash and you'll get a Kobe-Shaq type situation between Wade-James.

I've read if all 3 play in Miami, Pat Riley will take over the coaching responsibilites. It'll be like a fantasy team - Riley, James, Wade and Bosh. Still no match for the Lakers though :cool:

Amir

Sources are people "with knowledge of the situation" which could really mean numbnut off the street.
In England they are. In US sports journalist they are normally not, certainly when your'e talking about ESPN people. Like breaking the Bosh-Wade to Miami story yesterday.

Amir

Lakers will still beat them in a playoff series i reckon if LeBron indeed joins Miami.
It really depends on who else Miami manages to bring in with the big three taking up so much cap space. The Lakers won the title last season, but it was a heck of a battle with an ageing Boston team. It's certainly not a given.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
IF he goes to Miami, on paper it will be a great team, but will it work on the court? Sooner or later I think their ego's will clash and you'll get a Kobe-Shaq type situation between Wade-James.

I've read if all 3 play in Miami, Pat Riley will take over the coaching responsibilites. It'll be like a fantasy team - Riley, James, Wade and Bosh. Still no match for the Lakers though :cool:
Bosh has reportedly been told that Spoelstra will still be "the guy" next season. Of course the same thing was said about Stan Van Gundy. So I suppose we can expect Spoelstra to coach for half a season more before "resigning".

MrMarcello

Here's my take...

If he stays in Cleveland, it's about loyalty and family. He would be attempting to place his club at the top of the league just like Bird brought Boston back to glory, Magic made the LAL the class of the league, then Jordan took the Bulls atop, and finally Shaq then Kobe bringing the mantle back to LAL. If he wins a couple titles in Cleveland he's legendary like Bird in Boston. If he wins four or more in Cleveland he's going to battle Jordan for best player ever. But it's going to be difficult to win in Cleveland with no top sidekick (like all those guys mentioned had) while Chicago, Miami, LAL, etc. continue to build and reload. They really need a PG and a SG to help.

If he goes to Chicago, which he won't, he's doing such just to follow Jordan. But it does probably represent the best chance to win multiple titles during the length of his contract. Problem is only six titles will be enough to escape the Jordan comparisons/claims/ridicule. It's the kind of stress that could ruin him.

If he goes to New York, which might happen with Carmelo citing he will join in 2011, he's going for the fame of the city and to resurrect a marque club from the depths of hell. Winning a title there will make him a legend. Winning multiple titles would make him a god. Heck, the NBA might even change the logo to a silhouette of LeBron by 2020.

If he goes to Miami, which I'm quite doubtful he is, he's simply glory hunting. Ready to ride the coattails of Wade (and Bosh, albeit Bosh would be more Parrish than McHale to Bird [Wade]). This is Wade's team no matter how you slice and dice it. It always will be. It's akin to Ronaldo joining Real when they already Zidane and Figo. Although a title is no guarantee in Miami with a roster full of 500k per year players and three stars hogging up the cap space. And that much ego on a team is bound to backfire. This ain't Garnett/Allen/Pierce teaming up to win late in their careers after very little success.

VivaRonaldo7

If I was James I'd stay in Cleveland or go to the Knicks based on MrMarcello's post. I agree with what you say good post.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Good post Marcello

I heard on the radio this morning that James will be making the announcement from Connecticut. Not sure how true that is, but if so, it has to be the Knicks for sure

Alex

I think that the Knicks make the most since at this point, especially considering Anthony will be there after next season

Amir

If he goes to Miami, which I'm quite doubtful he is, he's simply glory hunting. Ready to ride the coattails of Wade (and Bosh, albeit Bosh would be more Parrish than McHale to Bird [Wade]). This is Wade's team no matter how you slice and dice it.
While I'm as doubtful as you, who says it has to be the other way around? That James has to be THE man, be the big man who wins titles, just because that's what the league is looking for or what people are used to looking for? Why would it be wrong if he wants to play with friends, get good money and win titles, whether he is considered the big star or not? If he's not overly bothered by it, it shouldn't be a problem.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Good post Marcello

I heard on the radio this morning that James will be making the announcement from Connecticut. Not sure how true that is, but if so, it has to be the Knicks for sure
He's probably just doing it at Bristol to make things easier for ESPN.

Also, I forgot that he did win the Gold Medal in 2008, but that's more to do with Coach K and Dwayne Wade/Kobe.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I'm a Bulls fan, so my preference is obvious, but my hunch is he stays in Cleveland.
I think the Bulls have the best supporting cast to win championships with. The Heat would be 3 guys and a bunch of scrubs. Although going to the Heat might help a former classmate get a contract. :D

MrMarcello

While I'm as doubtful as you, who says it has to be the other way around? That James has to be THE man, be the big man who wins titles, just because that's what the league is looking for or what people are used to looking for? Why would it be wrong if he wants to play with friends, get good money and win titles, whether he is considered the big star or not? If he's not overly bothered by it, it shouldn't be a problem.
This whole charade of free agency, the Larry King interview during the playoffs (after his team was eliminated btw), his constant appearances on anything and everything, and finally an hour long show clearly illustrates LBJ as wanting to be the man. It's all about him. And it will be wherever he goes.

Does Wade want to play Pippen to LBJ's Jordan? If so, then it will work. As I don't see LBJ taking a backseat to any player.

MrMarcello

The Greenwich, CT, thing is most likely a ploy to create the suspense. If he did it from Akron, Chicago, Miami, Manhattan, or Jersey, then everyone would know his decision. This is clearly a marketing/ratings thing. Yet another reason why I'm starting to despise him.

That said, the Knicks practice facility is less than 15 miles from Greenwich. And apparently many of the NY elite reside in Greenwich. Alan Houston lives there. It's a 30 minute subway ride to NYC. The Boys & Girls Club has Knicks stuff inside it and plenty of the kids there are Knicks fans.

Just adds to more suspense.

Status
Not open for further replies.