Nba 2011-2012

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
If I understand correctly, he can sign a 5 year deal with the Magic. If he gets traded to another team this summer he can sign a 3 year extension with them. If he waits till next summer he can sign for 4 years for any team.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Damn, Nolan Smith, a 2nd year player out of Duke who was a former first team all American and ACC PotY, went down after an innocuous foul, he hit the padding for the backboard support then took a few steps before collapsing.

He was treated for more than 15 minutes and left in a neck brace on a stretcher. Let's hope he recovers fully, and quickly.

The 6'2" guard was having a fantastic game as well, 10-16 shots, 27 pts, 5 re, 5 ast, 2 st.

Lillard was even more impressive for Portland, this guy looks like a future star. He also had 27 pts, 5-10 from 3, 5 re, 3 ast and 2 steals.

Terrence Jones finished with 24 pts and 12 re's, 11-20 fg and 3 assists. Many will regret passing on him in the draft.

The rest of Houston's Fab 4 were also very good, Jeremy Lamb had 23pts, 6 re and 3 st, Motiejunas had 20 pts on 10-16 shooting with 12 boards, and forward Royce White had 12 boards and 8 assists, though only 3-10 from the field.
Nolan has said he's ok but it'll take a bit for him to recover fully. He got a concussion in college from a pick than knocked him out. He was having a very good game though. In general, he's one of the best personalities around. He's a genuinely nice guy. Even if you hate Duke. :lol:

Hopefully he'll have a breakout season.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I was really glad to hear he was discharged that night, and while he's doubtful to play in the summer league all indications are he'll recover quickly and completely! Which is great, because it looked bad.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The US handled Spain pretty easily yesterday. Barring serious screw-ups, the US should win the gold medal. I don't think FIBA refs have ever heard of illegal screens.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The refs in the game yesterday were inconsistent with their calls. Melo off the bench is working nicely and I like how the US pressures the opponents into forcing turnovers. They'll win gold provided the key players don't get into foul trouble.

Spain will be tougher when they meet USA in the real games. At times, especially with the secondary unit, I thought America struggled against the zone defense plus Marc Gasol didn't play yesterday.

ha_rooney

According to Yahoo sources, the latest news from D12 is that he wants to move to LA but if he can't go there before the start of the season then he wants to go to Brooklyn in January but if that fails he'll sign with Dallas next season when he becomes a free agent.

I'm glad to see he has a plan.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
So, if the Lakers trade for Dwight, they inherit the ability to sign him for 5 years? I'm not sure if you have to be with a club for a certainly number of years to get a 5 year deal, but the media are suggesting he can sign for 5 as a free agent next summer, anyone know?

Or a link to a listing of all these rules! I can't find one.

The only reason LA should trade for him, imo, is if they inherit that right to sign him to 5 years when all others are limited to 4. Money seems to talk to Dwight, and the Lakers know that language too and are happy to pay. If that extra year gets him signed next summer than fine, give up Bynum.

Otherwise I'd stick with the 2nd best center in the world and continue to look elsewhere.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
feck Howard. Like I said before, we should focus our attention more on Bynum and make sure he signs an extension with us.

ha_rooney

Apparently the Lakers would have his 'Bird rights' so they would be able to offer Howard a max 5-year deal whilst other teams could only offer him a 4 year contract.

The link below says that when a player is traded, the new team inherits his Bird Rights and this was why Williams re-signed in Brooklyn:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ocus-on-dwight-howards-bird-rights-not-dwight

ESPN uses Bynum as an example and I assume the same would apply to D12:

Under the terms of the new CBA, Bynum would be eligible to sign a three-year extension before the start of the season. Or he could play out this season, become an unrestricted free agent and sign for four years with another club or re-sign with the Lakers for five years.
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...-kupchak-says-door-closed-dwight-howard-trade

sidsutton

Saw this video and thought you guys might enjoy it.

Basketball being played through the low post, looked weird at first, it's been a while!

How many of those baskets do you think Dwight Howard would have scored? Maybe rattled in a couple of those jump hooks? Dream was smooooooooooth.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Apparently the Lakers would have his 'Bird rights' so they would be able to offer Howard a max 5-year deal whilst other teams could only offer him a 4 year contract.

The link below says that when a player is traded, the new team inherits his Bird Rights and this was why Williams re-signed in Brooklyn:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ocus-on-dwight-howards-bird-rights-not-dwight

ESPN uses Bynum as an example and I assume the same would apply to D12:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...-kupchak-says-door-closed-dwight-howard-trade
Okay, thanks, that's it then, you just have to trust that Dwight really wants the money and would stick with the Lakers to get that 5th year rather than taking 4 years elsewhere.

Or the Magic wait till January and trade him for Brook Lopez and company.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
How many of those baskets do you think Dwight Howard would have scored? Maybe rattled in a couple of those jump hooks? Dream was smooooooooooth.
Good question, the way that Hakeem uses his body to keep Robinson off balance and away from the ball is something I'm not sure Dwight could do. Dwight would use his strength to try to accomplish the same task, but I'm not sure how well that would work against Robinson, who is probably the best defensive center I've ever seen play, only Bill Russell comes to mind as someone better at defending the center.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Okay, thanks, that's it then, you just have to trust that Dwight really wants the money and would stick with the Lakers to get that 5th year rather than taking 4 years elsewhere.

Or the Magic wait till January and trade him for Brook Lopez and company.
Just like I said about Deron and what CP3 will do after the season.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I thought the Bird rights only applied to the team that had the player for a certain number of years, I didn't think it could be 'transfered' to the Lakers, that sort of defeats the purpose of it, to give the team that owns the player an advantage the others can't match.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Paul Pierce is apparently willing to play for another team after spending his entire career with the stories Celtics franchise. I find that a bit surprising considering how rare it is for a great player to spend his whole career with one team, much less for the winningest team in NBA history.

Of course it's all hypothetical, he says he may retire or he may resign at the end of his contract (Boston have a team option for 2013-14), but really what's the point in talking about now? I'd keep quiet unless I was actually ready to leave.

Pierce says the idea would be to chase another title, so he may well follow Ray Allen to the Heat!

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2012/08/pierce_continue.html

ha_rooney

Twitter has erupted with D12 rumours, with the general idea being that he will be a LA Lakers player by tomorrow.

This is how the 4 team trade appears at the moment:

Howard & Al Harrington to Lakers, Pau Gasol & Aaron Afflalo to ORL, Andrew Bynum to 76ers, & Andre Iguodala to DEN
I'd prefer it if we kept Gasol but if this happens would it be a good trade for LA?

OB

Both Gasol and Bynum going? I don't like that. We'd rather keep thOse two, than get Howard at their exPense. I'd be happy if we kept gasol and got dwight

ha_rooney

Twitter NBA rumours are as bad as football ones. Chris Brousard now saying LA will get Howard but keep Gasol. I hope he's right but he keeps changing his position so I doubt he actually knows what's happening.

Edit: This appears to be the trade according to ESPN, which is now apparently complete:

A source with direct knowledge of the talks told ESPN.com's Marc Stein that the Lakers will receive Howard, the Denver Nuggets will get Andre Iguodala, the 76ers will get Andrew Bynum and Jason Richardson, and the Magic will get Arron Afflalo, Al Harrington, Nikola Vujecic and one protected future first-round pick from each of the other three teams.

In addition, the Magic will be getting other pieces, including 76ers draft pick Moe Harkless, a source told Stein.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I can believe that one, the one I read earlier today with Gasol and Bynum going out and Howard and Harrington coming in was completely unacceptable in my eyes.

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
I can believe that one, the one I read earlier today with Gasol and Bynum going out and Howard and Harrington coming in was completely unacceptable in my eyes.

This one is even more unacceptable, just not from the Lakers POV. I can't believe that's all the Magic are getting for Dwight. Absolutely crazy. Has to be a better deal out there.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
More unacceptable for the Magic? Well, they've managed to box themselves in, especially by angering Howard who can now nearly destroy any trade by saying he won't sign an extension. I don't think anyone will be as dumb as the Knicks to give so much for Carmelo when they could have had him for free less than a year later.

The only reason the Lakers want to trade is because they can't sign Howard outright due to cap restrictions. I'd think they'd just take Bynum and considering themselves lucky, the Lakers didn't get anyone that good for Shaq nor did Denver for Melo.

Zen

Is the NBA's way of telling the fans it's going on another strike?

Bandwagoners are gonna be in overdrive. Goddamnit.

Zen

Bynum prob end up magically on the Heat next summer. The other two, more than happy to be role players to win another ring or two, depending on how long they stay.

SiYuan

Cafe Grandmaster 2008
No gurantees behind this team, although it's overwhelmingly dominating front-court and back-court.

Remember Lakers had at one point Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Shaq, Bryant and Fisher as the starting five and they won feck all.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Howard, Nash, Kobe and Gasol. 4 all-stars players and yet there's probably more than enough ball for all of them, with Nash always looking to pass to the open man and Gasol's preference to defer to his partner in the box.

Kobe and Howard will share the bulk of the offence which is not much different to how they played with Bynum in the team.

Howard is an upgrade over Bynum in nearly every areas and Nash is definitely an upgrade over Sessions. Lakers are going to be the team to beat in the Western Conference this season.

ha_rooney

Howard, Nash, Kobe and Gasol. 4 all-stars players and yet there's probably more than enough ball for all of them, with Nash always looking to pass to the open man and Gasol's preference to defer to his partner in the box.

Kobe and Howard will share the bulk of the offence which is not much different to how they played with Bynum in the team.

Howard is an upgrade over Bynum in nearly every areas and Nash is definitely an upgrade over Sessions. Lakers are going to be the team to beat in the Western Conference this season.
The Lakers may take a bit of time to gel together. Howard still has to recover from his injury and I hope Kobe defers the offense to Nash and lets Nash run things as much as possible.

I still make OKC the favourites on the basis they've been together for a few seasons now, they're younger and they'll have a point to prove after last season. But the Lakers are definitely contenders again and as you say we've strengthened the team without losing much.

Best part of the trade is we kept Gasol. I'd love to know how Stern and Gilbert feel about the Lakers getting Howard + an elite PG without losing Gasol a year after they killed the CP3 move which would've seen us lose Gasol. Karma's a bitch.

Zen

Comparing them to the 03/04 team is kind of void, Peyton/Malone had declined far more than say Nash and Gasol have, and then theres no already inside rift, oh and the sexual assault thing. This team will absolutely trash that division like the Heat will for theirs, this isn't Baseball. Fans of OKC will just have to wait about a while now despite completely deserving a title(drafted the core team, gelled, and worked hard, learned from losses, everything a budding team should be doing), but when a sports broke like the NBA is, getting what you deserve isn't gonna happen.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
The Lakers may take a bit of time to gel together. Howard still has to recover from his injury and I hope Kobe defers the offense to Nash and lets Nash run things as much as possible.

I still make OKC the favourites on the basis they've been together for a few seasons now, they're younger and they'll have a point to prove after last season. But the Lakers are definitely contenders again and as you say we've strengthened the team without losing much.

Best part of the trade is we kept Gasol. I'd love to know how Stern and Gilbert feel about the Lakers getting Howard + an elite PG without losing Gasol a year after they killed the CP3 move which would've seen us lose Gasol. Karma's a bitch.
As long as the team gels by the playoffs and get there healthy, they'll be tough to beat. I would expect Nash and Kobe to be the leader of the team, Kobe is at that stage of his career where he knows he can't do it all and expect to be the hero every game in the regular season and the playoffs.

He's shown it last season where he was willing to be second fiddle to Bynum if it meant winning, as long as Nash and Howards gains his trust quickly, Kobe will play in a team.

And just how lucky is Mike Brown? He messes up the Cleveland project with arguably the most wanted player of the 2000s and his reward for that is getting to coach the Lakers?! :lol:

Edit: On hind-sight, killing the CP3 deal was probably the best thing Stern could have done for the Lakers, it left them with 4 superstars now instead of possibly just 3.

SiYuan

Cafe Grandmaster 2008
Comparing them to the 03/04 team is kind of void, Peyton/Malone had declined far more than say Nash and Gasol have, and then theres no already inside rift, oh and the sexual assault thing. This team will absolutely trash that division like the Heat will for theirs, this isn't Baseball. Fans of OKC will just have to wait about a while now despite completely deserving a title(drafted the core team, gelled, and worked hard, learned from losses, everything a budding team should be doing), but when a sports broke like the NBA is, getting what you deserve isn't gonna happen.

You never know mate.

I hope Kobe carries on his previous form and not the way he's been playing for Team USA, Gasol mans up, Nash plays un-Canadian-like and Howard stays sane and healthy.

You have Kobe and Nash who's 2-3 years from retiring, Howard and Nash with back issues and Gasol trying to find his manhood every playoff.

Still a team with 4 stars, albeit two willing to take a backseat, will have some unique dynamics that I'm not sure Brown will be able to handle.

Though.. it'll be pretty fun to watch them play together :drool: