Nba 2012-13

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Well a new season is almost upon us folks. Lots of trades have taken place and there are plenty of interesting stories and sub-plots to look forward to this season. Heat/Lakers final for me. Durant for MVP, Davis ROTY.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Heat-Lakers for me too with LA winning it all. Durant MVP. Lillard ROTY.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
At the moment I'll have the Heat beating OKC in the finals. Durant MVP.

I still give the edge to OKC in the West at the moment - younger, they've got better chemistry and they'll be hungry to get back to the finals.

Lakers had a winless pre-season but Howard looked good, I think Gasol will have a better season and Nash will hopefully run the offense with Kobe getting his usual 20+ points. A lot depends on the bench and how many they score, but if LA clicks and this new princeton offense works then we should win the West.

Btw, anyone know who has the rights to the NBA in the UK?

ArmchairCritic

I still give the edge to OKC in the West at the moment - younger, they've got better chemistry and they'll be hungry to get back to the finals.

Lakers had a winless pre-season but Howard looked good, I think Gasol will have a better season and Nash will hopefully run the offense with Kobe getting his usual 20+ points. A lot depends on the bench and how many they score, but if LA clicks and this new princeton offense works then we should win the West.

ESPN gets games but other than that no one really, not on the scale of how much coverage the NBA gets in the USA.

ArmchairCritic

I think OKC got a good deal with the Harden trade, now they have Lamb and Perry Jones from the draft with 2 future First Round picks and a young core of Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka. A matter of time if you ask me.

ha_rooney

ESPN gets games but other than that no one really, not on the scale of how much coverage the NBA gets in the USA.
I thought the same but apparently they've lost the rights and nothing has been announced yet.

The NBA coverage is quite rubbish in the UK. Only seem to get 2-3 games a week and they're mainly from the Western conference so they tip off around 3am. They don't even show the playoffs in their entirety.

ArmchairCritic

NBA TV have a free trial it seems, might have to check it out.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Problem is Kobe really needs to trust in Nash, and not decide that the last 10 seconds of every play is Kobe time and that he needs to handle the ball.

If that can do, on paper Lakers will be the team to beat in the West.

OB

Kobe, Nash, Howard, Gasol, MWP :drool:
This is going to be one very good season. Lakers-Heat finals for me, and hopefully Nash winning his first title, he deserves it.

I read somewhere that last time lakers went 0-8 in preseason, they won the championship. It's Laker's season :D

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I do not fault OKC one bit for trading Harden. I cannot fathom paying a backup $15m per season, no matter how great he is at coming off the bench or even if he becomes a regular starter, but with tax rules in place a club has to spread the wealth appropriately. And it appears Harden's main motivation was a max contract not winning a championship then seeking the big deal, or taking less to continue winning. What is it with borderline players getting max contracts in the NBA? Surely max deals should be reserved for the truly elite players.

Perhaps I'm wrong and Harden becomes a star player in the coming years but up until the trade I saw him as, at best, the fourth most important player for OKC (Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka). Had he showed up in the Finals last summer I would not be so critical but he didn't deliver when the club needed it most. Yes it can be argued the club screwed itself giving Ibaka a big deal but big men in the post that can defend and rebound seem more scarce than guards that can score but do not defend that well. Granted Martin isn't going to be anywhere near All-Defense honors himself but the offensive production shouldn't drop off too far, right?

NY Times has an article about how this type of trade is what Stern and the owners were desiring to occur post-lockout.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/29/s...mes-harden-validates-david-sterns-design.html

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
West
1. Lakers
2. Spurs
3. Thunder
4. Grizzlies
5. Clippers
6. Nuggets
7. Blazers
8. Jazz

East
1. Heat
2. Pacers
3. Celtics
4. Hawks
5. 76ers
6. Nets
7. Bulls
8. Knicks

OB

Nate Robinson's now in Rockets? How many teams has he changed? Won't be long before he's been in every team.

ha_rooney

That would give the Rockets 3 ex-Knick point guards, in addition to Toney Douglas and Jeremy Lin.

As bad as that sounds, that's not a bad group of PGs.
Completely forgot he existed!

From what I've read, he had a disappointing pre-season and his shooting % is very poor. Big season for Lin considering what Houston will be paying him.

Neutral

BTV
I see Stoudemire is out for 6-8weeks, knee issues AGAIN. Knicks giving him $100mil, when no one else wanted to get close to that in terms of $$$$ - not to mention, the contract is uninsured.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
West
1. Lakers
2. Spurs
3. Thunder
4. Grizzlies
5. Clippers
6. Nuggets
7. Blazers
8. Jazz

East
1. Heat
2. Pacers
3. Celtics
4. Hawks
5. 76ers
6. Nets
7. Bulls
8. Knicks

West
1. Thunder
2. Lakers
3. Spurs
4. Nuggets
5. Clippers
6. Grizzlies
7. Jazz
8. Warriors

East
1. Heat
2. Pacers
3. Celtics
4.Nets
5. 76ers
6. Knicks
7. Bulls
8. Hawks

for me. The last two spots in the west are wide open with Minnesota,Portland,Dallas and Houston all capable of sneaking in there.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Completely forgot he existed!

From what I've read, he had a disappointing pre-season and his shooting % is very poor. Big season for Lin considering what Houston will be paying him.
Huge, he's such an uncertain quantity. He was fantastic in the pick and roll with Chandler, he could have made Chandler an all star with all the points he was sending his way before Anthony came back. Honestly I have no idea how good Omar Asik is, so I have no idea if that's going to be a main part of their game.

But having Harden as the first scoring option is good for Lin, much more reliable than Martin, and Lin no longer has to be the best player on the team.

ArmchairCritic

I watching the Cavs vs. Wizards, that's how much I'm fiending to watch Basketball.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
West
1. Thunder
2. Lakers
3. Spurs
4. Nuggets
5. Clippers
6. Grizzlies
7. Jazz
8. Warriors

East
1. Heat
2. Pacers
3. Celtics
4. Nets
5. 76ers
6. Knicks
7. Bulls
8. Hawks

for me. The last two spots in the west are wide open with Minnesota,Portland,Dallas and Houston all capable of sneaking in there.
I forgot all about the Wolves, they'll be a good team if Rubio comes back healthy. I'd probably put them in 6th at this point, and I think I'll move the Blazers above the Nuggets too.

Even without Harden you think the Thunder can win the West? That's pretty optimistic, but I'm sure they have the potential. I'm figuring the Spurs will be beasts again at grinding out wins and I'm hoping that LA plays the regular season like the Shaq-Kobe-Malone-Payton team.

Seeing what comes of the Mavs, Blazers, Knicks, Nets and other middling teams will certainly be interesting.

West
1. Lakers
2. Spurs
3. Thunder
4. Grizzlies
5. Clippers
6. Wolves
7. Blazers
8. Nuggets

East
1. Heat
2. Pacers
3. Celtics
4. Hawks
5. 76ers
6. Nets
7. Bulls
8. Knicks

ha_rooney

KG apparently completely blanked Allen pre-game. I bet he hard fouls him at some point tonight.

Kobe plays for LA, important we start off with a win.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Missed free throws cost us. Kobe looked good as did Allen and Kyrie. Also what a game by Varejao!

ha_rooney

Disappointing start by LA. I knew Howard was poor on FTs but to miss 11 of 14 is pathetic.

It will take time for this offense to get going but the Lakers better start winning soon or there will be calls for Mike Brown to go.

Edit: quite a few articles seem to be suggesting the current princeton system is not working to Nash's strengths. If we're going to get far then Nash has to be allowed to run the offense the way he wants to.

OB

Disappointed to see Lakers lose like this. I don't understand why players miss so many free throws. They should atleast make 50% of them, considering they are professional NBA players.

Neutral

BTV
Disappointing start by LA. I knew Howard was poor on FTs but to miss 11 of 14 is pathetic.

It will take time for this offense to get going but the Lakers better start winning soon or there will be calls for Mike Brown to go.

Edit: quite a few articles seem to be suggesting the current princeton system is not working to Nash's strengths. If we're going to get far then Nash has to be allowed to run the offense the way he wants to.
They need to blow up this current system and let Nash run the team - simple as that. He'll get Kobe easy looks, and obviously Kobe has no problems creating his own shots, and working in isolation.

But the rest of the time - Pick&Roll bitches...PICK AND ROLL. Gasol and Howard in the front court - Nash should be looking at 15 assists a night.

Oh and Mike Brown is an imbecile.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Mike Brown should never have been named HC there, should have gone to Byron Scott. If for whatever reason the management didn't want Scott in the job they should have gone for a proper HC. Brown won regular season games because he had LeBron. He was shown up in the playoffs as a coach that doesn't have the pedigree to be at a team challenging for a title.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Brown was pretty poor in Cleveland, he never forced LeBron to play in a disciplined way, it was a one man show, and the team could have been much better.

I got the impression that LA hired Brown because he would let Kobe basically coach the team and hog the ball and wouldn't complain, since he did it for LeBron, and take care of the defensive side of the coaching duties.

uae

Desperately wants a tagline under his name
I read earlier today that Allen's shooting % for the corner 3 is 57%. That's the highest player spot combo in the league. Crazy!

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
The Nets move to Brooklyn, open a 4.9 billion dollar arena, go to host their first game against local rivals the Knicks...and the highest swell in recorded New York history forces the game to be postponed.

Surely this is one of those moments where an event holds a hidden meaning.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Good feckin lord. Aaron Brooks dives for a loose ball and loses a tooth in the process. What do the Kings do with that possession? Turn the ball over.

I don't care how much you care about your team. Never give up a feckin tooth for them. It's not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.