NBA 2014-2015

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Rumors that the Lakers are now serious contenders for Camelo Anthony. As someone who hates the Lakers, please please please let this happen. There won't be enough green smilies in the world for having Anthony, Bryant, Randle and, uh, Robert Sacre trying to form a cohesive team.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
The Heat are now talking with Marvin Williams about a possible deal.. I'm sensing a pattern here, Lowry => Deng => Gasol => Marvin Williams...

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I've never been an expert on the specifics of salary caps and things like that (I've also historically been bad at predicting transfers in football), so can you experts answer these questions for me:

How likely is it that Love will leave Minnesota?
and
How likely is it that Thunder will get Pau?

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
I've never been an expert on the specifics of salary caps and things like that (I've also historically been bad at predicting transfers in football), so can you experts answer these questions for me:

and
I'm not sure about Love. Do you mean leaving Minnesota this year or next year?

As for Pau, his main three options are as of now (SA was an option but doesn't seem to be one right now): The Lakers, OKC, and Miami.. If money is important to him then OKC will be his 3rd option, because they can not offer him more than the $5.3m mid-level exception, period. Miami may be able to throw a couple of millions more (probably up to $7m, depending on how much the big 3 will earn if they re-sign), but Miami's main selling point is the big 3. The Lakers can offer him more than both teams, and if money is really important to him, then he's re-signing with the Lakers.

There has been some reports a few days ago that the OKC offer interested him, and they were even reported as the favorites to sign him, however, I really doubt OKC are the favorites right now.

Worth mentioning here, if Miami somehow signs Deng or Ariza then Pau to Miami is over, and the chances that Pau will go to OKC will increase significantly. However, Pau does look the most likely of the three to join Miami right now.

@gooDevil can also give you his perspective since he's following the Lakers, and may know a bit more about him.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I'm not sure about Love. Do you mean leaving Minnesota this year or next year?

As for Pau, his main three options are as of now (SA was an option but doesn't seem to be one right now): The Lakers, OKC, and Miami.. If money is important to him then OKC will be his 3rd option, because they can not offer him more than the $5.3m mid-level exception, period. Miami may be able to throw a couple of millions more (probably up to $7m, depending on how much the big 3 will earn if they re-sign), but Miami's main selling point is the big 3. The Lakers can offer him more than both teams, and if money is really important to him, then he's re-signing with the Lakers.

There has been some reports a few days ago that the OKC offer interested him, and they were even reported as the favorites to sign him, however, I really doubt OKC are the favorites right now.

Worth mentioning here, if Miami somehow signs Deng or Ariza then Pau to Miami is over, and the chances that Pau will go to OKC will increase significantly. However, Pau does look the most likely of the three to join Miami right now.

@gooDevil can also give you his perspective since he's following the Lakers, and may know a bit more about him.
The Bulls are interested in Love but are more likely to look towards signing Pau, and that is a definite possibility.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.

and
I think Love is itching to get out of Minny, its just about whether someone has the pieces of to acquire him. Golden State wants him, but they'd have to gibe up Klay and they don't want to. Houston wants him and that would be a perfect fir for the big man. Also I think the Bulls would be an excellent team for him, but I'm bias.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Cleveland is now the favorite to land Lebron according to multiple sources. Also his agent (and family) think that he should go back to the Cavs.

James is going to have a face-to-face meeting with Pat Riley in a day or two. The worst scenario (for Miami) he's going to inform him he's leaving. The best scenario, he's going to tell Riley: Cavs have this, what's you got? The bad news, Riley hasn't got much right now.

Bosh is waiting for Lebron's decision, and is already negotiating a max contract with Houston if he leaves.

Skills

Snitch
Bosh should take that max and run to Houston as quick as he can.

Scrumpet

There are no words
Are these signings Miami are making likely to convince Lebron to stay, or is it more a case of preparing for life without him now?

Skills

Snitch
Nets apparently made a $140m loss last season. Was that under the new luxury tax or are they more fecked next year?

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
:lol: I think Pat Riley has already earned his right to screw one free agency window, so can't get mad at him, but...

The Heat just agreed verbal contracts with Josh McRoberts (for the full MLE!) and Danny Granger (for one of the two $2m exceptions). Lebron? How can you say no to that lol? Of all the guys out there those two. Who's next? Jason Terry for the other $2m exception?

All what's been said so far has been "rumours" or unknown "inside sources". This is the first facts we have and it doesn't look good for Miami. Those acquisitions look like panic buys, which means the heat Miami is feeling is real and it means that Miami are really struggling to attract talent this off-season, probably because of the uncertainty around the big 3.

I don't think these signings are good enough to keep Lebron. I mean between Wade, Oden, and Granger, we probably only have one good knee. Cleveland are definitely the favourites to land him now.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
The only positive thing though (from those signings), it means Miami are going to work over the cap (using exceptions), which means:

a- money will not be a problem for any of the current Heat players, as they can offer them as much as they want because they will preserve the bird (and the early bird) rights, and...

b- it means they can bring back pretty much everybody they had on their roster last year, in addition to the new signings. So the Heat will not "re-build" but rather "re-tool" (in case the big 3 stay), which is actually exactly what Pat Riley said right after the finals ended.

Also worth mentioning here Miami still have another ~$2m exception to spend. (but they're not bringing Gasol with it)

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
As a Laker fan I really don't want Melo at all. Nothing has worked in LAL over last 2 seasons but this is a recip for disaster. The only way it'd be good is if it somehow convinced Lebron to come to LA but if Melo is on the max and Kobe is on $24m next season, there's no money for another max contract.
Terrible idea all round.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Miami are going to suck again pretty soon. LBJ to Cleveland, Bosh to Houston and Wade being way over the hill. Lottery team.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Anyone want to argue that Tiago Splitter should be earning 9 million next season and Diaw 8 million?

Especially considering the salaries of others like Ginobili on 7m, Duncan on 10m and Green on 4m.

Here are the Spurs' salary commitments for next season:

Tony Parker $12,500,000

Tim Duncan $10,400,000

Tiago Splitter $9.250,000

Boris Diaw $8,062,550

Man Utd Ginobili $7,000,000

Danny Green $4,025,000

Patty Mills $3,400,000

Kawhi Leonard $2,894,059

Marco Belinelli $2,873,750

Cory Joseph $2,023, 261

Jeff Ayres $1,828,750

Austin Daye $1,063,384

Kyle Anderson $911,400

Total: $66,232,154

Last edited:

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Well, it has more to do with the fact that pretty much everybody else on the Spurs' roster is actually underpaid, most of them deliberately doing so to allow SA to build a championship team.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Well, it has more to do with the fact that pretty much everybody else on the Spurs' roster is actually underpaid, most of them deliberately doing so to allow SA to build a championship team.
So you're saying those two aren't overpaid and it just appears so because Duncan and Ginobili are taking less money for the team's sake?

Scrumpet

There are no words
No one played more minutes for the Spurs in the finals than Diaw. Plus he looks ridiculous. The element of surprise has got to be worth a few million alone.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Anyone want to argue that Tiago Splitter should be earning 9 million next season and Diaw 8 million?

Especially considering the salaries of others like Ginobili on 7m, Duncan on 10m and Green on 4m.
They would easily get that on other teams.

I'm not comfortable with the players allowing the owners to shaft them, all for the sake of "building a championship squad". You want a great squad? Pay great money. The revenue streams have never been fatter.

The last CBA didn't do the players any justice.

Edit: Zane Lowe puts it better than me it seems...

http://grantland.com/features/nba-m...james-chris-bosh-houston-rockets-free-agency/

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
So you're saying those two aren't overpaid and it just appears so because Duncan and Ginobili are taking less money for the team's sake?
Splitter is getting better, and he has improved immensely from 2-3 years ago. And Boris Diaw, I'm sure he got that deal because of his contributions in the title win last year, and he did contribute a lot.

When you look at the league right now, it's not that hard to find players worse than those two earn more or as much money as them.

In fact, that's exactly the (crucial) mistake Arison did. When players win championships you don't value them by their "objective" value in following couple of years, but you really need to reward them for their success, because it builds confidence and raises the spirit of the team.

Miami is still paying for not paying Miller his "objective value".

Zen

Theres an NBA writer called Zane Lowe? Brilliant.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Bosh to Houston, Melo to Heat?

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Bosh to Houston, Melo to Heat?
Long shot. I think it's just the media trying to work under difficult circumstances (no news).

I don't think it will be even financially possible with both Melo and Lebron wanting the max. Remember signing Melo will mean the Heat will have to work under the cap again. So no exceptions, no re-signing of current players, ...

Nah, not happening.

If Bosh to Houston then Lebron to Cleveland, and the Heat will have to re-build (not re-tool!).

Last edited:

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
No, correct and no.
In term of Lebron's legacy, of course it will hurt him a lot. To jump ships after failing for 7 years and losing trust in the ownership is one thing, but to jump ships after 4 years like those with Miami is a whole other thing.

Of course some will disagree out of sentimentality, but that is the reality.

However, if he goes back to Cleveland, nobody will more stupid than those fans who burned his jerseys lol.. Well, may be Dan Gilbert.

Eboue

In term of Lebron's legacy, of course it will hurt him a lot. To jump ships after failing for 7 years and losing trust in the ownership is one thing, but to jump ships after 4 years like those with Miami is a whole other thing.

Of course some will disagree out of sentimentality, but that is the reality.

However, if he goes back to Cleveland, nobody will more stupid than those fans who burned his jerseys lol.. Well, may be Dan Gilbert.
It would greatly enhance his legacy if he could win one in Cleveland. More than another 3 in Miami could.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
It would greatly enhance his legacy if he could win one in Cleveland. More than another 3 in Miami could.
That's only the hate (or sympathy?) inside you talking. Come on, be serious.

Cleveland will mean nothing now for his legacy apart from its "sentimental value". It will only help repair his "villain" image, but it will not contribute anything to his "greatness", nor loyalty by the way. That ship has sailed for him with Cleveland the moment he left them when they were not good enough. Now if he wins with Cleveland, it's only because of the other great players they have, and he will only be viewed as an "opportunistic player" who kept jumping ships whenever the going gets tough.

If he manages to win another 3 with Miami, he will seriously be compared to the all-time greats, and dare I say Jordan? It will be really huge if he pulls that off, and it will greatly help him repair the bad reputation he has now of being "disloyal" and "jumping ships". If he leaves Miami now, he will actually be seen even more of a quitter, no matter what he does with Cleveland (unless he 3-peats with Cleveland probably).

But like I said in my previous post, people's judgement will be clouded now because of sentimental reasons (you know, the Heat hate and the sympathy they have for Cleveland fans), which is quite obvious when you say one title in Cleveland will mean more for his legacy than another 3 with Miami. I mean come on.

You will enjoy one in Cleveland much more than 3 in Miami though, I will give you that.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Yes, for Cleveland, and for James' image in the eyes of Cleveland fans. But not for Lebron. 5 titles with the same team is much bigger than bringing one title to a franchise that never won one.

Zen

Ebuoe is correct. Plus it's a better set up anyway. Signing broken down ex-superb talent like Granger isn't helping the Heat, he's just a name now. Theres only so much LeBron can do with that and the fragile body of Wade. Kyrie is fit and peaking...with a decent young not broken down backup helping them.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Ebuoe is correct. Plus it's a better set up anyway. Signing broken down ex-superb talent like Granger isn't helping the Heat, he's just a name now. Theres only so much LeBron can do with that and the fragile body of Wade. Kyrie is fit and peaking...with a decent young not broken down backup helping them.
Not only that's not the point Eboue was making, it's actually one of the reasons that makes Eboue's point less correct.

Eboue

It's his hometown, a long suffering city that hasn't won in any sport for 50 years. It's not hard to see how that would add more to his legacy than another couple of titles in tacky Miami with their 14 fans who remember the Mourninh years.

"Now if he wins with Cleveland, it's only because of the other great players they have, and he will only be viewed as an "opportunistic player" "

This part is just tone deaf. This is what he is viewed as outside of Miami. I don't hold it against him, you can't win a title yourself. But let's not pretend like this is a new thing.

Zen

Not only that's not the point Eboue was making, it's actually one of the reasons that makes Eboue's point less correct.
That wasn't the point Ebuoe was making because quite clearly I wasn't commenting on it other than saying he was correct(he is).......I then added that it's a better setup to win longer term anyway.....which doesn't hurt his point anyway. He's never going to win it alone.