NBA 2018-2019

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
LeBron might be the better player but Steph is definitely a better GM.

It REALLY is Curry's team.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Roll on the basketball season 'cause watching United is a chore.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Easy to say when you're guaranteed (another) championship.
Yeah it's so shit that on one hand I'm excited about the new season because there have been many significant personnel changes including three major players moving teams (LeBron, DeRozan and Kawhi) plus a potentially good draft class coming into league but then I remind myself that Warriors are going to win it anyway and it's known from the beginning.

I really wish KD manned up and left, really hope he eventually will but with the new arena coming for 2019-20 season I fear he may take the easy route again and stick around a little bit longer.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah it's so shit that on one hand I'm excited about the new season because there have been many significant personnel changes including three major players moving teams (LeBron, DeRozan and Kawhi) plus a potentially good draft class coming into league but then I remind myself that Warriors are going to win it anyway and it's known from the beginning.

I really wish KD manned up and left, really hope he eventually will but with the new arena coming for 2019-20 season I fear he may take the easy route again and stick around a little bit longer.
Nothing is a given - complacency, injuries, other teams in the West have gotten stronger, Boston should be back to full health, ... I agree it's likely that they win it but there have only been 2 teams in the last 50 years that have been able to 3-peat. Even the Magic/Kareem-led 80s Lakers who had 8 Finals appearances in 10 years were not able to do it.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Easy to say when you're guaranteed (another) championship.
Even if I wasn't a Dubs fan, there were a lot of happenings which took place this off season which make next season very watchable. I think the East became much more competitive. If Kawhi is healthy and up for it the Raptors could be very good. Kyrie and Gordon Hayward are back for the Celtics and with one more year of bedding in for the Sixers they could also make some noise. The Pacers and Bucks could also be in the mix. However, IMLTHO it's all got to come down to LeBron and the Lakers. It could all go from train ride to train wreck in a heart beat. I can see numerous players being thrown under numerous buses before the season is out with the "This is the worst set of players LeBron's ever had since the last set of worst players LeBron's ever had" being the narrative.

Roll on the basketball season!

Sarni

Even if I wasn't a Dubs fan, there were a lot of happenings which took place this off season which make next season very watchable. I think the East became much more competitive. If Kawhi is healthy and up for it the Raptors could be very good. Kyrie and Gordon Hayward are back for the Celtics and with one more year of bedding in for the Sixers they could also make some noise. The Pacers and Bucks could also be in the mix. However, IMLTHO it's all got to come down to LeBron and the Lakers. It could all go from train ride to train wreck in a heart beat. I can see numerous players being thrown under numerous buses before the season is out with the "This is the worst set of players LeBron's ever had since the last set of worst players LeBron's ever had" being the narrative.

Roll on the basketball season!
What do Lakers have to do with the championship race other than you wanting to take a shot at LeBron again? It’s clear they aren’t going to compete this year and are building for 2-3 years from now.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
What do Lakers have to do with the championship race other than you wanting to take a shot at LeBron again? It’s clear they aren’t going to compete this year and are building for 2-3 years from now.
Do you not think the Lakers will be interesting next year? Championship or no Championship they will be must watch TV. The networks seem to think so since more of their games are being shown than any other team. As for LeBron I just hope his hand is fully recovered so that he's not hampered when that bus is coming by.

Sandyman

Do you not think the Lakers will be interesting next year? Championship or no Championship they will be must watch TV. The networks seem to think so since more of their games are being shown than any other team. As for LeBron I just hope his hand is fully recovered so that he's not hampered when that bus is coming by.
:lol:

Lakers will be interesting just because of LeBron. But, even you don't doubt you lot are winning another championship right? Or at the very least, reaching another final. All the drama with LeBron and the Lakers will not change the outcome of the season.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I've always found the night Kobe outscored the Mavericks for three quarters, and sat out the fourth, the most ridiculous thing ever in NBA history. It was the only time in the shot clock area a player had accomplished such. He could have easily topped 80 if he played the fourth and 90 was certainly within range if he played on.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I don't think the Warriors bus celebration goes to LA though.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Ginobili retires. Legend.
Sad to see him go. Great servant to the game. Although his stats don't automatically scream Hall of Famer, his overall contribution to the game will surely get him in.

elmo

Up there with Duncan and Kobe as one of the players who've consistently shat on my Suns team over the years.

Farewell Man Utd, you crazy argie bastard.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
That's why he will get in.
Highest winning percentage of all time amongst players with at least 1,000 career games, how do you like that stat? Only one of two players to ever win the EuroLeague, NBA Championship (4 times, no less) and Olympic gold.

It's like Gasol - he's a no brainer.

Skåre Willoch

Highest winning percentage of all time amongst players with at least 1,000 career games, how do you like that stat? Only one of two players to ever win the EuroLeague, NBA Championship (4 times, no less) and Olympic gold.

Wow!!

charlton66

Supports
Golden State

I agree! I agree! I agree! What is wrong with you guys? You keep giving me reasons why he should get in when I agree he should be in to begin with. The only thing I happened to mention is that by typical criteria that has been used in the past whenever possible future HOF induction has been considered for a player the usual stats don't support it.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob.html

Basketball reference HOF probability gives him only a 20% chance of getting in. But I agree with @adexkola
feck the stats.
He's in.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
and captain ring chaser.

Sarni

What the hell is that trade between Houston and Phoenix about?

Phoenix take on a worse contract of the two and get a rookie while sending a former no. 8 pick and a fairly decent point guard while being extremely short at the position even without that.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
and captain ring chaser.
Oh please! West played 8 years in New Orleans and another four in Indiana before he went so called "ring chasing." He actually left 11 million dollars on the table with Indiana to do it. When you have played your entire career for small market teams and that career is coming to an end and you've not won - what's left? It's not like he was the first.

Last edited:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Interesting to note that Man Utd and David West have had very similar careers statistically in the NBA.

Man Utd:
Played 16 seasons.
Total games - 1,057
Total points - 14,043 (career average 13.3/game)
2 X All star

David West:
Played 15 seasons.
Total games - 1,034
Total points = 14,034 (career average 13.6/game)
2 X All star

Both great servants to the game. Hope they enjoy their retirements.

elmo

I agree! I agree! I agree! What is wrong with you guys? You keep giving me reasons why he should get in when I agree he should be in to begin with. The only thing I happened to mention is that by typical criteria that has been used in the past whenever possible future HOF induction has been considered for a player the usual stats don't support it.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob.html

Basketball reference HOF probability gives him only a 20% chance of getting in. But I agree with @adexkola

He's in.
Basketball reference doesn't take into account Euro ball and international stats which is why his probability looks low when everybody knows he's a shoo in for first round ballot HOF.

elmo

What the hell is that trade between Houston and Phoenix about?

Phoenix take on a worse contract of the two and get a rookie while sending a former no. 8 pick and a fairly decent point guard while being extremely short at the position even without that.
Igor must have seen them in practice and realised they're both too dumb to play the scheme he wants.

I love Knight and his effort, but he's dumb as feck on the court despite being smart off it.

Chriss is an idiot, both on and off the court.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Nick Young talking trash about Gilbert Arenas and Arenas then knocking down 95 threes out of a 100 is the best video I'll say all week.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Nick Young talking trash about Gilbert Arenas and Arenas then knocking down 95 threes out of a 100 is the best video I'll say all week.
I'll see your Gilbert Arenas and raise you a Steph Curry.

Is there anything this guy can't do?

Got to admit was impressed with Arenas though.

Last edited: