NBA 2019-2020

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So you'd rank George (and Embiid) over James, which is laughable tbh.
As I said, I have no issue with not having them in it, it's not a definitive top 5 if you want to propose someone else you are welcome. As I told you I don't really know how to rate Lebron today because with him it's basically a matter of mood, when he wants it he is arguably the best but during the regular season there is often a handful of players at a higher level, sometimes he doesn't care about defense even though he is in my opinion great when he decides to. In the playoff, I put him above everyone except maybe Durant and Leonard but I don't think that there is much between them, in the regular season it's a different story.

Revan

Assumptionman
Everyone's allowed their own opinion of course, but I think you'd be stretched to find half a dozen people anywhere who wouldn't rank LeBron as a top 5 player right now.
Ye. To be fair, it is hard to find people who would have him outside of top 3. An argument can be made for Leonard being the best overall player, and maybe one of Harden/Giannis to be better than LeBron, but even that is hard.

Truth is, it ain't outlandish to say that he is still the best player in the league. Putting him outside of top 5 is just nuts.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I don't want to quote everyone one by one so I will just put it all here. Melo has never played defense and we all know that and Portland did not get him for him to play defense. They wanted a guy that can make a difference on the offensive end of the floor and Melo is a guy who can do that. 1 year out and he got 10 points 4 boards on his return...it was an OK return and yes his shooting percentage was low but the shots he took were GOOD shots that I would bet he normally will make once he shakes some rust out. At Houston and OKC they had him as a spot up shooter but it seems Portland are not only using him for that, He got into the paint a lot and shot a lot of mid rangers which he is very good at.

You guys are expecting too much of a 36 year old Melo and are trying to grade him on a different level. Melo was not got to play defense...they wanted someone who can score...Melo can and will score and he will probably be Able to get them 15 points considering a rusty gassed up Melo scored 10. You guys are judging a guy way to harshly for someone who has not played an NBA game in over a year. Every pundit I listened too post game all had complete opposite opinions to what is being said here.

My point from the beginning was that Melo was still good enough to get a roster spot in the NBA and yes I think last night proved that and I think he will prove it in general this season. As for Dudley, yes it is a resounding considering Melo out the league for a year did more last night than anything Dudley did all season. Unnecessary amount of hate for Melo on here. The question was never "can he start can he drop 30" I said he could make a rotation..and he absolutely can.

SportingCP96

Supports
Ye. To be fair, it is hard to find people who would have him outside of top 3. An argument can be made for Leonard being the best overall player, and maybe one of Harden/Giannis to be better than LeBron, but even that is hard.

Truth is, it ain't outlandish to say that he is still the best player in the league. Putting him outside of top 5 is just nuts.
I agree he is EASILY still a top 5 player and one can argue he has been the best player so far this season. The man is a machine.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
My point from the beginning was that Melo was still good enough to get a roster spot in the NBA and yes I think last night proved that and I think he will prove it in general this season. As for Dudley, yes it is a resounding considering Melo out the league for a year did more last night than anything Dudley did all season. Unnecessary amount of hate for Melo on here. The question was never "can he start can he drop 30" I said he could make a rotation..and he absolutely can.
He literally did not prove that at all. He was a net negative. It's crazy that you cant see that. Hes the worst defensive player in the league so he needs to shoot 60% to be rosterable. Instead he shot 28%. Its hard to imagine a worse debut. He has proved everyone who doubted him right and yet you are still here trying to take a victory lap.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Scoring 30 points on 30 shots while giving up easy buckets at the other end on every possession does not make a useful player, at all. What's so hard to understand

SportingCP96

Supports
He literally did not prove that at all. He was a net negative. It's crazy that you cant see that. Hes the worst defensive player in the league so he needs to shoot 60% to be rosterable. Instead he shot 28%. Its hard to imagine a worse debut. He has proved everyone who doubted him right and yet you are still here trying to take a victory lap.
It is ONE game people. He has not played in over a year. He could be a bench player. That was the whole point.

SportingCP96

Supports
Scoring 30 points on 30 shots while giving up easy buckets at the other end on every possession does not make a useful player, at all. What's so hard to understand
Ok so to your point making 3 points and giving up 9 is a useful player? Because there are many players in the NBA who give you that off the bench.

SportingCP96

Supports
He could be the absolute worst bench player. And yet you are the one crowing about how vindicated you are.
No. My point was he could be a bench player and make a rotation. One game back after a year out where he showed some positive things and could of had a better shot percentage because the shots he took were good shots that probably go in on other nights. He must of slept with everyones mum in here because professionals all seem to think that he can play on the bench for most teams in the NBA yet everyone here seems to think he belongs in a rec league.

Our debate was whether he was better then Dudley. That to me is not even in question at all. Dudley has done feck all this season.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It is ONE game people. He has not played in over a year. He could be a bench player. That was the whole point.
But you said he proved you right, "resounding". He was abysmal out there. Even worse than I thought he would be, and I thought he would be fecking tragic anyway.

Sarni

I don't want to quote everyone one by one so I will just put it all here. Melo has never played defense and we all know that and Portland did not get him for him to play defense. They wanted a guy that can make a difference on the offensive end of the floor and Melo is a guy who can do that. 1 year out and he got 10 points 4 boards on his return...it was an OK return and yes his shooting percentage was low but the shots he took were GOOD shots that I would bet he normally will make once he shakes some rust out. At Houston and OKC they had him as a spot up shooter but it seems Portland are not only using him for that, He got into the paint a lot and shot a lot of mid rangers which he is very good at.

You guys are expecting too much of a 36 year old Melo and are trying to grade him on a different level. Melo was not got to play defense...they wanted someone who can score...Melo can and will score and he will probably be Able to get them 15 points considering a rusty gassed up Melo scored 10. You guys are judging a guy way to harshly for someone who has not played an NBA game in over a year. Every pundit I listened too post game all had complete opposite opinions to what is being said here.

Last night did not prove anything. If we are judging him based on last night then he definitely does not belong in the NBA anymore. He was dreadful.

SportingCP96

Supports
But you said he proved you right, "resounding". He was abysmal out there. Even worse than I thought he would be, and I thought he would be fecking tragic anyway.
Abysmal is reaching A LOT. He showed good things on the offensive end and was 2-3 from 3. First game back and rust all taken into account.

Nick wright today on get up "The idea that he was not good enough to be on a roster is insane"

Dam I really must be crazy.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ok so to your point making 3 points and giving up 9 is a useful player? Because there are many players in the NBA who give you that off the bench.
None of those guys are Melo though. Most of them only play garbage time minutes, if even that. Can you see Melo being a bottom of the bench player?

Sarni

Abysmal is reaching A LOT. He showed good things on the offensive end and was 2-3 from 3. First game back and rust all taken into account.

Nick wright today on get up "The idea that he was not good enough to be on a roster is insane"

Dam I really must be crazy.
He missed easy shots, shot 28% from the floor and did not even try to defend. He's not a good defender but he could at least pretend to try.

Only positive is going 2-3 from three as opposed to 1/2-7 that I'd normally expect out of him now.

The only thing worse than him at Portland is Whiteside. Between those two the effort level must be close to rock bottom.

SportingCP96

Supports
Last night did not prove anything. If we are judging him based on last night then he definitely does not belong in the NBA anymore. He was dreadful.
Your reading the numbers too literally. He looked good offensively, Good shots, he can still move, great stroke. He was rusty a lot of those shots probably go in. He did as much as he could after first game in a year. He showed Promise on the offensive end and showed he can offer more then many bench players in the NBA.

SportingCP96

Supports
He missed easy shots, shot 28% from the floor and did not even try to defend. He's not a good defender but he could at least pretend to try.

Only positive is going 2-3 from three as opposed to 1/2-7 that I'd normally expect out of him now.

The only thing worse than him at Portland is Whiteside. Between those two the effort level must be close to rock bottom.
Dude the easy buckets he missed were clear rust and everyone seems to agree with that point. He took great shots and made great shots for himself.

He also had 2 blocks and had 4 defensive rebounds. So its not like he just sat there like a tree. Like I said they did not get him for his defense.

SportingCP96

Supports
None of those guys are Melo though. Most of them only play garbage time minutes, if even that. Can you see Melo being a bottom of the bench player?
When Dame and CJ are on the floor together and even little Melo will probably be the 4th guy which is fine. He wont play 25 min a night I don't think and dont think he should either.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
When Dame and CJ are on the floor together and even little Melo will probably be the 4th guy which is fine. He wont play 25 min a night I don't think and dont think he should either.
As pointed out, he needs to score efficiently to be worthy of a rotation spot, particularly on a team that wants to make the playoffs

Otherwise he's bottom of the bench fodder.

And then there's his mentality, whether he accepts that or not. And then there's the media attention. Even as a garbage time player he'd still draw massive media attention, which no matter what anybody says, *is* distracting and can be detrimental to the team

Personally i'd like to see him move to Europe, rather than ride the pine in the NBA. Might even get better pay at that

SportingCP96

Supports

Firs things first also with the same opinion.

We must all be wrong.

For 15 minutes a night I think he will be fine.

SportingCP96

Supports
As pointed out, he needs to score efficiently to be worthy of a rotation spot, particularly on a team that wants to make the playoffs

Otherwise he's bottom of the bench fodder.

And then there's his mentality, whether he accepts that or not. And then there's the media attention. Even as a garbage time player he'd still draw massive media attention, which no matter what anybody says, *is* distracting and can be detrimental to the team

Personally i'd like to see him move to Europe, rather than ride the pine in the NBA. Might even get better pay at that
He wont shoot 4-14 every night he didn't get 2 foul calls which should of brought him too the line and he missed some shots that he normally would score. Give him 15 min a night and he can go out there and give you something.

I would agree with all of you if he was playing 30 min a night but that is not the plan for him I hope he and the blazers both know that.

SportingCP96

Supports
it's absolutely pointless trying to reason with someone whose only conception of the sport is that scoring is good so the more points the better
Thats because you seem to lack reading and comprehension.

We are talking about Carmelo Anthony not another player. So let me break it apart for you with the appropriate questions. Here we go put your glasses on..

Can Melo be a bench/rotation player? Yes

Can Melo score 10-15? Yes

Can he defend? no

Did the blazers get him for his defense? no

Did they get him as a scoring outlet? yes

Conclusion. 15 min a night bench player he has a spot in the league. Every person who gets paid to talk about sports seems to agree.

Basketball is not just points nor have I ever said that (that's where the comprehension part comes in) but Melo was brought in to SCORE hence why we are talking about POINTS with Melo and what he can bring you off the BENCH not as a STARTER.

Get it now? This is not that hard to understand.

Eboue

Basketball is not just points nor have I ever said that (that's where the comprehension part comes in) but Melo was brought in to SCORE hence why we are talking about POINTS with Melo and what he can bring you off the BENCH not as a STARTER.

Get it now? This is not that hard to understand.
yes i do get it now thank you for capitalizing four words in one sentence that really helped me make the breakthrough

SportingCP96

Supports
are you trying to argue that dudley is a bad defender?
No he is better then Melo clearly on defense.

You said shooting 58% from the field but doing that while averaging 1 ppg is nothing to brag about and someone above said what's the point of someone scoring 30 points if they let 30 go in well if Dudely scores 1 point a game e most deff lets in double that so according to you guys he should be playing at a local High School.

Eboue

No he is better then Melo clearly on defense.

You said shooting 58% from the field but doing that while averaging 1 ppg is nothing to brag about and someone above said what's the point of someone scoring 30 points if they let 30 go in well if Dudely scores 1 point a game e most deff lets in double that so according to you guys he should be playing at a local High School.
ok thank i am out

SportingCP96

Supports
at let i tried indeed
Thank you I wrote it quick on the phone. Keep it up though this is great progress you might even get a gold star soon this is exciting.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I have this nice business running with a couple of friends where we scout the second hand market for cheap shoes and try to sell them on. I usually buy all the shoes I can find for $200 and then sell them right away for $100.
Now some of you may say, wow Kasper this is bad business, you're making a net negative for the company. To which I answer, well maaaybe but at least this way I'm making sure of selling 15 pairs a day, while others (like that Jared Dudley scrub) are only selling about 5 a day. I'm therefore better.

SportingCP96

Supports
You guys should be paid to talk about sports because y'all are all better than sports analysts.

Jared Dudley is a better Bench option than Carmelo Anthony according to the Red Cafe NBA experts. Most seem to disagree but feck those guys I think you guys are for sure right.

:lol::lol:I love the internet

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Gotta feel sorry for the Blazers and their season so far, and I say that as a Mavs fan that is quite happy that the battle for the playoffs seems to have gotten a little easier in the ridiculous west.
Anthony is so washed that he should be forced to play in colorless jerseys. His signing is just unfathomable. I'd rather have some random 25 year old G-League dude on the bench than him. Or a horse. Or nobody at all.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You guys should be paid to talk about sports because y'all are all better than sports analysts.

Jared Dudley is a better Bench option than Carmelo Anthony according to the Red Cafe NBA experts. Most seem to disagree but feck those guys I think you guys are for sure right.

:lol::lol:I love the internet
Jared Dudley is a better rotation player than Melo because he is. The last full season Melo played he was literally one of the 10 worst rotation players in the league(among those who played enough minutes to qualify). The 6th worst player by Plus/Minus, and the guys worse than him were two rookies, a second year who is now out of the league and the ancient jamaal crawford