NBA 2020-2021

edcunited1878

I'll start with disclaimer. Haven't watched all games.

Lack of competitive series and games. Only real competitive series was Mavs against clippers. In the 2nd round so far just the jazz game was good no?

Going forwards Utah vs clippers should be good. Maybe 76ers vs hawks.
Yeah, for the most part...the better teams won. Nets blew out Celtics. Bucks destroyed whoever they played. Sixers downed Wizards and Hawks handled Knicks.

Only true good series has been Mavs/Clippers and Portland/Denver, but that went 6 and not 7.

Nets blowing out the Bucks so far is a big letdown. Those two matchups are been good so far, Clippers/Jazz and Hawks/Sixers.

R'hllor

Holy shit sometimes some players in Denver are way to heavy to be carried, MPJ on top of being greenish for playoff, now it seems he carries some back issue.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Is he a max contract player in your view?
For sure. In the right context he'd be worth it too. He's basically a bigger Draymond Green
But of the teams still remaining, they deserve to be there...maybe outside of the Hawks, but the East 1-3 are the best teams from the regular season.
Hawks had the 3rd best record in the league since changing coach. They're a great team
chris paul 15 assists 0 turnovers.
Yeah he's ridiculous. Nuggets can't defend him in the PnR, they need to find a solution quick or this series is over, he's been carving them apart

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What are the caf thoughts on KP? Is he poorly used as a perimeter shooter or is Carlisle's idea that it's his best role for the team correct?

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
The major difference between Draymond and Ben Simmons is that Draymond WON'T shoot from the outside and Ben Simmons CAN'T shoot from the outside. Even today, Green is still taking about 2 threes per game and even though his shooting percentage has dropped significantly over the last few years (primarily due to his back issues) he still shoots 3s at a higher percentage than Russ for his career.

In addition, Draymond is a career 70+ % FT shooter (almost 80% this year) whereas Simmons shoots under 60% and significantly worse under pressure. Basically you can hack Simmons at the end of a game. You can't do that with Green.

Bottom line is that Ben Simmons needs to learn how to shoot - both from the outside and from the line otherwise he and the Sixers will never reach their true potential.

Last edited:

ZDwyr

Draymond is also 10x the defender Simmons is. Well, peak Draymond anyway.

JPRouve

Scout
The major difference between Draymond and Ben Simmons is that Draymond WON'T shoot from the outside and Ben Simmons CAN'T shoot from the outside. Even today, Green is still taking about 2 threes per game and even though his shooting percentage has dropped significantly over the last few years (primarily due to his back issues) he still shoots 3s at a higher percentage than Russ for his career.

In addition, Draymond is a career 70+ % FT shooter (almost 80% this year) whereas Simmons shoots under 60% and significantly worse under pressure. Basically you can hack Simmons at the end of a game. You can't do that with Green.

Bottom line is that Ben Simmons needs to learn how to shoot - both from the outside and from the line otherwise he and the Sixers will never reach their true potential.
You corrected the max contract part or I imagined it? :D

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
You corrected the max contract part or I imagined it? :D
I did because although Draymond is technically a MAX contract, because of the way it was done (an extension to his previous contact) he is making nowhere near normal MAX money. Since my point was going to be that he was making far less than Ben the actually terminology of the contract didn't matter and was technically incorrect anyway so I was going to edit it out.

Then since my main point was with Simmons shooting vs Draymonds' I just decided to remove it completely and not focus on the money side.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
I did because although Draymond is technically a MAX contract because of the way it was done (an extension to his previous) contract he is making nowhere near normal MAX money. Since my point was going to be that he was making far less than Ben the actual terminology didn't matter.

Then since my main point was with Simmons shooting vs Draymonds' I just decided to remove it altogether.
It was actually the interesting point because it opened the door for the various max contracts and I would say that Simmons isn't a supermax player and isn't at the highest tier of max contracts either. :D

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
What are the caf thoughts on KP? Is he poorly used as a perimeter shooter or is Carlisle's idea that it's his best role for the team correct?
RIght now he can't be used as anything else or Carlisle would've done it. His last two knee injures took at least a step from him, so he lost this ridiculous (for a guy that's 7'3) mobility. He can't roll, he can't set good picks, he can't post anyone up, not even the smallest guards, he can't take someone on the dribble. He also doesn't rebound well and can't box out smaller players. So what was Carlisle supposed to do with him? Let Porzingis take contested midrange jumpers all game?

That's not to say he'll stay that way forever, and the Clippers matchup was particularly bad for him because they had no slow bigs that Porzingis could punish by going all the way behind the three point line. Whenever he got the ball, if he didn't catch and shoot he ran the risk to have it immediately stripped by George or Leonard immediately. Dribbling against good defensive players is a bad idea when you're this tall, the ball travels for too long.
But it does feel like his body is already too damaged for him to become a true unicorn. Right now, his only strength is his good range. Lets see how he looks after a full and healthy (knock on wood) off-season.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He has the skill set of a 3 with the mobility of a 7 footer, aka it sounds better than it is in reality.

Dallas are fecked if they can't move him on.

JPRouve

Scout
RIght now he can't be used as anything else or Carlisle would've done it. His last two knee injures took at least a step from him, so he lost this ridiculous (for a guy that's 7'3) mobility. He can't roll, he can't set good picks, he can't post anyone up, not even the smallest guards, he can't take someone on the dribble. He also doesn't rebound well and can't box out smaller players. So what was Carlisle supposed to do with him? Let Porzingis take contested midrange jumpers all game?

That's not to say he'll stay that way forever, and the Clippers matchup was particularly bad for him because they had no slow bigs that Porzingis could punish by going all the way behind the three point line. Whenever he got the ball, if he didn't catch and shoot he ran the risk to have it immediately stripped by George or Leonard immediately. Dribbling against good defensive players is a bad idea when you're this tall, the ball travels for too long.
But it does feel like his body is already too damaged for him to become a true unicorn. Right now, his only strength is his good range. Lets see how he looks after a full and healthy (knock on wood) off-season.
An other question this season compared to last season Porzingis has a better FG% at the rim, within 10 feets and within 16 feets than last season on similar volume. Does that make you think that it's still a good idea to play him more on the perimeter?

JPRouve

Scout
9.0 - 1.3 split in the playoffs so far...... with a broken shoulder. ffs, not the Point God for nothing.
As many have said, ring or not ring Chris Paul will be recognized as an all time great. It's amazing how he is elite at all the things a guard is supposed to provide. Having seen Chris Paul play, I struggle to understand how good guys like Stockton were because as an example his career stats are amazing.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's a good point. Yeah, Ben needs to improve his FT % for sure
As many have said, ring or not ring Chris Paul will be recognized as an all time great. It's amazing how he is elite at all the things a guard is supposed to provide. Having seen Chris Paul play, I struggle to understand how good guys like Stockton were because as an example his career stats are amazing.
Other than Magic, was there ever a better point guard?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I briefly watched Stockton. He was a good hardworking player. But aren't his stats hugely inflated?

JPRouve

Scout

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Am I missing something or they didn't answer my question? It's an interesting article though.

How would they be inflated? The league is geared toward scoring nowadays, it's the current stats that are more likely to be inflated.
Stockton's career was played in a higher pace environment than Paul's.

JPRouve

Scout
Stockton's career was played in a higher pace environment than Paul's.
So this a crude method but the average pace for Stockton was 95.25 while the average pace for Paul was 94.46. Taking that into account and the way the game is played today would you say that Stockton's stats are inflated?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Am I missing something or they didn't answer my question? It's an interesting article though.
He's probably still a really good player, maybe/probably not good enough to be a team's #2 guy, and the clippers were a really bad matchup for him. In the context of this series, Carlisle probably had the right idea with him
:lol: forgot about him somehow :houllier:

JPRouve

Scout
Other than Magic, was there ever a better point guard?
I forgot to answer, I have been listening to a few oldies who mentioned the likes of Stockton, Magic, Pistol Pete and Oscar Robertson. I can't answer your question but that's the names that I have heard outside of the current players.

Zen

Stockton's stats aren't hugely inflated, but yeah, go by per 100 and he's still ahead of everyone really. But not to same obscene level. Paul's one of the best though to me too, I mean some might throw the clutch issue out there when comparing him to some.... but he's playoffs numbers as totals are crazy good, it's hardly like he'd cost a truly massively favoured team if he was ever on one.... and closest he got to be the favourites was on the second favoured Rockets - when the Warriors were fully formed and obscene.

The not ringing chase stuff he's done over the past two years has elevated him to another level. He could be diming with the Nets if he was anything like his (younger) ex-wingman Blake Griffin looking for that free ring. But nope, playing with dignity and to a great level into his late 30's.

I'd have him top 5 - Magic, Stock, Curry, Nash.... but only Nash and Stock truly compare, Magic(height) and Steph(shooting) just kinda broke the mould of the PG. feck me, and the three of them have no rings between them.... urgh. But Payton and Kidd do(via chasing!)... then theres Isiah, yeah, it's a tough call.

sport2793

Draymond is also 10x the defender Simmons is. Well, peak Draymond anyway.
His defense was pretty amazing in the play-in game against LA this year admittedly. Thought that would keep the Lakers at bay enough for them to squeak by.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I forgot to answer, I have been listening to a few oldies who mentioned the likes of Stockton, Magic, Pistol Pete and Oscar Robertson. I can't answer your question but that's the names that I have heard outside of the current players.
Oscar and Maravich were too far back for me to have an opinion, but i'll fight anyone who claims stockton was better than CP3 :lol:

JPRouve

Scout
Oscar and Maravich were too far back for me to have an opinion, but i'll fight anyone who claims stockton was better than CP3 :lol:
Hey, I'm in CP3's camp, I haven't seen enough of Stockton to have an educated opinion but his stats are amazing which is baffling to me because CP3 seems perfect.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Hey, I'm in CP3's camp, I haven't seen enough of Stockton to have an educated opinion but his stats are amazing which is baffling to me because CP3 seems perfect.
Good player, great system, all-time great teammate.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Two words: Karl Malone

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
So this a crude method but the average pace for Stockton was 95.25 while the average pace for Paul was 94.46. Taking that into account and the way the game is played today would you say that Stockton's stats are inflated?
A little bit. He played in a system that worked for him and with a hall of fame power forward for his whole career. At their peaks, Isiah was better. Overall I'd rank him just outside the top 5.

As great as Chris Paul is now, he could have been the greatest point guard ever if he didn't get hurt. Watch his highlights pre-injury.

RooneyLegend

The Bucks need a new coach. What's the point of having a size advantage and never using it?

ZDwyr

Giannis is the most extreme example of a player with little BB IQ or skill but such a dominant athlete that it doesn't even matter.