NBA 2020-2021

edcunited1878

Was that an 80s/90s defensive slugfest?! I wasn't able to watch, but damn...just looking at the final score screams defensive intensity especially by the Bucks and just really poor shooting by both teams.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
The not ringing chase stuff he's done over the past two years has elevated him to another level. He could be diming with the Nets if he was anything like his (younger) ex-wingman Blake Griffin looking for that free ring. But nope, playing with dignity and to a great level into his late 30's.
This always makes me laugh in basketball.

In football if a player turned down a lower wage and Bayern (pretty much guaranteed trophies) for a higher wage and United (might win something but definitely not guaranteed and likely not the big trophies) we'd say he's only in it for the money and ridicule him. But in basketball, Chris Paul doing similar elevates him apparently.

Ladron de redcafe

Two words: Karl Malone
You could turn it around and reduce Malone's career to two words : John Stockton.

When you lead the entire league in assists 9 consecutive times and routinely get 13-15 apg averages to lead an NBA that included Magic Johnson in assists, you're special.

He ran Utah's offense to perfection and was one of the smartest players to ever play. How you dismiss his career and attribute his relevance to Karl Malone is beyond me. To then claim that. Stockton Vs Chris Paul debate is laughable when a boatload of historians or those of us who watched both would pick Stockton is another take that's a little out there.

Chris Paul is a great player. But he isn't John Stockton. It's fine to make an argument that he's on the same level, and it's another thing entirely to think that it's laughable to compare Stockton to Chris Paul. You would think we're discussing Magic here. It's Chris Paul. A perennial underachiever who didn't quite show what he's capable of throughout his career.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It's ironic that when it comes to discussing Stockton as one of the best PGs ever, people say he isn't that great because he had Malone. And when people discuss Malone as one of the all time great PFs, he is the second highest points scorer in NBA history, people say he isn't great because he had Stockton :D

Both are cursed by having the other, and also spending their whole careers with each other (other than Malone's one season with LA), therefore there isn't a lot of evidence to see how they played without the other.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I started watching that game yesterday but went to sleep when it was 44-37 as it was too late. How bad was it on scale 1-10?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's ironic that when it comes to discussing Stockton as one of the best PGs ever, people say he isn't that great because he had Malone. And when people discuss Malone as one of the all time great PFs, he is the second highest points scorer in NBA history, people say he isn't great because he had Stockton :D

Both are cursed by having the other, and also spending their whole careers with each other (other than Malone's one season with LA), therefore there isn't a lot of evidence to see how they played without the other.
The question I have to ask is why be dismissive? It doesn't seem that normal for one great player to elevate statiscally a particular teammate like that, so it seems that they were simply both all time greats playing together, which is also not a first?

ZDwyr

I started watching that game yesterday but went to sleep when it was 44-37 as it was too late. How bad was it on scale 1-10?
Probably an 8 or 9. It was close so...that's something. And it was entertaining seeing KD take over in the last few minutes. Other than that, yikes.

Also, maybe unpopular but IT is overrated.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The question I have to ask is why be dismissive? It doesn't seem that normal for one great player to elevate statiscally a particular teammate like that, so it seems that they were simply both all time greats playing together, which is also not a first?
Yea people think it's a given that when you play with another great player your stats will be elevated, as if it's easy. Paul's stats didn't inflate when he was playing with Harden, though Harden is hardly the guy who can help others get assists.

It also seems selective, no one would dismiss Magic's years with Kareem, LeBron's years with Miami, Jordan with Pippen or every single Durant year given he's played with Westbrook, then Steph and now Irving/Harden.

I think it's more to do with Jazz as a team, it's not a big market team and they generally don't get the hype other teams do, which is why they are constantly looked down upon (this season is an example, Jazz were clearly one of the best teams but people were still picking the Clippers to be ahead of them).

Had Jordan not been there, they might have had 2 titles and much more respect.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
That's the correct answer. From what I've seen, the vast majority of Stockton's assists came from just passing it to Malone withint 12 feet of the basket and inshallah.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
It's really hard to compare PGs from different eras since the game as well as the position itself has changed so much over the years. In the early days of the NBA a PG was tasked with scoring as well as making assists. With the arrival of Magic things changed such that the player at the PG position was now primarily asked to facilitate rather than score although players like Magic and Isiah could do both if necessary. After Magic, the next real sea change came about when Steph came along (although some could argue AI) PGs in this era are now tasked with being heavy scorers as well as providing assists. You could even make the argument that the former is more important than the latter. As to who is the best? All I can say is that IMLTHO, of the so called "facilitators" its Magic, closer followed by IT and then Chris Paul. I like John Stockton as well but I give IT and CP3 the edge because they could also score when necessary. As to the so called "scorers" it's got to be Steph. Russ is also up there and some of the up and coming young guns will be there or there abouts in the next few years but as of right now from this era its Curry.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Magic changed the way the position was played. He had a unique skillset and his size was a mismatch for any guard. Believe he played all five positions his rookie year, including a game at center in the Finals as a rookie. Still for me the second best player ever.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Yeah, this season was never going to be any good for the Raptors.

This is why playing through an intense season such as this one with a knock isn't a good idea.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
It's really hard to compare PGs from different eras since the game as well as the position itself has changed so much over the years. In the early days of the NBA a PG was tasked with scoring as well as making assists. With the arrival of Magic things changed such that the player at the PG position was now primarily asked to facilitate rather than score although players like Magic and Isiah could do both if necessary. After Magic, the next real sea change came about when Steph came along (although some could argue AI) PGs in this era are now tasked with being heavy scorers as well as providing assists. You could even make the argument that the former is more important than the latter. As to who is the best? All I can say is that IMLTHO, of the so called "facilitators" its Magic, closer followed by IT and then Chris Paul. I like John Stockton as well but I give IT and CP3 the edge because they could also score when necessary. As to the so called "scorers" it's got to be Steph. Russ is also up there and some of the up and coming young guns will be there or there abouts in the next few years but as of right now from this era its Curry.
To be fair to Stockton, he's actually shooting better from the field than CP3, he just never needed to take as many shots because him finding Malone was always the better option.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Read something about Stockton wouldn't shower or use deodorant before games. He wanted his opponent to be disgusted and not want to get up on him defensively.

Funniest thing I ever saw about him was his home videos while he was in Barcelona with the (only) Dream Team. American tourists on the streets didn't recognize him. Gary Payton describes Stockton in the other vid.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Read something about Stockton wouldn't shower or use deodorant before games. He wanted his opponent to be disgusted and not want to get up on him defensively.

Funniest thing I ever saw about him was his home videos while he was in Barcelona with the (only) Dream Team. American tourists on the streets didn't recognize him. Gary Payton describes Stockton in the other vid.

That's the thing I'm under the impression that while fans don't talk about Stockton or find ways to dismiss him NBA players saw him as a great basketball player.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean, sure, he was an all time great. CP3 is better :D

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Back to the playoffs: the clippers barely survived doncic, whose best teammate was THJ. Now they got mitchell with a jazz team around him that is stellar

They need Kawhi to take over and be the best player in the series, or this won't be a long series

edcunited1878

Sixers are toying with the Hawks. Too big, too long, too talented, and too much experience.

Nobody on Atlanta can get inside the paint because perimeter defenders are long and you have Embid and Simmons around the rim.

Embid is dominating on both ends and Sixers are getting easy looks within 15 feet, in addition to reliable 3 pt shooting.

Hunter's injury really hurts Atlanta against the Sixers as the rotation is much weaker and his length/defense and offensive game is miss...missing just like John Collins through 3 games.

Sandyman

Sixers are toying with the Hawks. Too big, too long, too talented, and too much experience.

Nobody on Atlanta can get inside the paint because perimeter defenders are long and you have Embid and Simmons around the rim.

Embid is dominating on both ends and Sixers are getting easy looks within 15 feet, in addition to reliable 3 pt shooting.

Hunter's injury really hurts Atlanta against the Sixers as the rotation is much weaker and his length/defense and offensive game is miss...missing just like John Collins through 3 games.
Looked comfortable today because the bench finally turned up! Last game would have been similar if we didn't have to wait 34 minutes to get some points from the bench.

ZDwyr

Suns are very impressive. I think Utah (assuming they get through and are fully healthy) will get past them in 6 or 7 games, but still a great year for Phoenix.

R'hllor

What the feck was that lul, Jokic same amount of assist as rest of the team, more points than other 4 starters combined and he didnt have best of night on top of it. Expected more from this match up but Denver looks tired from match one, oh well hope Utah wins over LAC, western finals would look juicy then.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Suns are very impressive. I think Utah (assuming they get through and are fully healthy) will get past them in 6 or 7 games, but still a great year for Phoenix.
Just like how everyone says the Lakers and Nuggets would beat us before we played them.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Just like how everyone says the Lakers and Nuggets would beat us before we played them.
The Lakers with AD fully fit would've been a great contest and I think LA would've made it. Nuggets as well are really lacking a second scorer to Jokic, which is supposed to be Murray. You can say the Suns have been lucky with injuries to opposition.

I can understand why people thought LA would beat Suns and it looked likely before AD broke down (though you also have to consider Paul was less than 50 percent for much of the series as well).

Jazz look unstoppable though.