NBA 2021-2022

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
First 20 minutes - diabolical. Last 28 minutes - pretty damn good.

Charlie Foley

God damn what a comeback :drool:
I was getting crap from my old law school friends for the first 20 minutes. They’re pretty quiet now :lol:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He really doesn't. Sub 30% for his career and a juicy 19% this season.
The problem with him is that he can't carry a team because for some he reason, despite all his gifts, he often outright refuses to impose his will on a game. At this point, there's no way he should make it into the top 75 ahead of Howard.
Because a big man is limited in how much he can control the game unless it's Jokic.

Also, AD is clearly more comfortable when there's another player taking the lead over him, put him as the main man and the pressure gets to him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

When Edwards starts getting these calls, things could get nasty. :eek:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Refs aren't going to give him calls while he's at the Timberwolves.
That's likely true, in particular against larger markets teams. But we can still dream and the team is doing well despite a rough start offensively.

RooneyLegend

Because a big man is limited in how much he can control the game unless it's Jokic.

Also, AD is clearly more comfortable when there's another player taking the lead over him, put him as the main man and the pressure gets to him.
Take it you never saw AD at New Orleans.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
If anything he did see AD in New Orleans.
I was just going to say that. These Lakers (when LeBron is out) remind me of his Pelican teams from 4-5 years ago. He, at best, just sneaks into the top 10 of today's players. He definitely doesn't belong in the top 75 of all time.

SinNombre

I would like to join the AD-bashing bandwagon but he has a solid argument for a top-75 spot.

Outside of the big-4 in Lebron, Steph, KD, Giannis who will all finish their careers in the all time top-15 and Kawhi, you can ask questions about every other contemporary inclusion - Harden, CP3, Westbrook, Dame. Why are the latter 2 not getting as much scrutiny.

edit : I actually think a lot more modern players should have been included.

Last edited:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I would like to join the AD-bashing bandwagon but he has a solid argument for a top-75 spot.

Outside of the big-4 in Lebron, Steph, KD, Giannis who will all finish their careers in the all time top-15 and Kawhi, you can ask questions about every other contemporary inclusion - Harden, CP3, Westbrook, Dame. Why are the latter 2 not getting as much scrutiny.

If you are going purely by skill level then you would definitely see a lot more players from the modern era included in the 75. However, they have better diets, better training methods, access to better facilities etc.... Instead I think players should be included based on their impact on the era that they played in. I don't think many people would argue that there are a number of PGs in the modern game (who weren't included) who are better than Bob Cousy but Cousy was one of the best (if not the best) of his era. Davis barely makes into the top 10 of today's players. For me, that is not all time top 75 material.

Last edited:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Another good win but once again a rather uninspiring game. Blazers never really threatened after half time. Got to admit am starting to like these types of games - much less stress. On to Clipper land.

Charlie Foley

A little sweaty after a good run in the 4th led by Simons by the Blazers but another good win.

Wiggins very quietly had a very good game, putting up 25. Lillard poor I thought, played within himself

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Watching the Lakers play offense is like watching Oleball. Playing like morons against a bad Sac team. Up two with 9 seconds to go in OT. Going to double OT

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
If you are going purely by skill level then you would definitely see a lot more players from the modern era included in the 75. However, they have better diets, better training methods, access to better facilities etc.... Instead I think players should be included based on their impact on the era that they played in. I don't think many people would argue that there are a number of PGs in the modern game (who weren't included) who are better than Bob Cousy but Cousy was one of the best (if not the best) of his era. Davis barely makes into the top 10 of today's players. For me, that is not all time top 75 material.
Top ten in his era easy. Comparing him to the likes of Harden or Lillard is a joke. There is this thing called defense.

ZDwyr

Top ten in his era easy. Comparing him to the likes of Harden or Lillard is a joke. There is this thing called defense.
Harden is one of the best offensive players in the history of the game. He's a far better player than AD, even with his defensive limitations.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Harden is one of the best offensive players in the history of the game. He's a far better player than AD, even with his defensive limitations.
AD is one of the best defensive players in the history of the game and not a joke offensively.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
The league has changed drastically since then.
Even with all that, the Pistons won one title. Also the Spurs teams might have been known for defense but they were just all around really good teams. The last truly great defensive team before the 2004 Pistons to win a title was the "bad boy" Pistons from the late 80s - over 30 years ago. Defense might win Championships in football but invariably in basketball a good offense will usually beat a good defense.

elmo

Because Dwight is still playing and his credentials beat AD so people just equate that as AD stealing Dwight's spot.

But yeah, Dame ain't anywhere close to being top 75 player of all time with his current resume.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Because Dwight is still playing and his credentials beat AD so people just equate that as AD stealing Dwight's spot.

But yeah, Dame ain't anywhere close to being top 75 player of all time with his current resume.
The media love "flash" and that's what Dame mostly gives you. This "Dame time" stuff is really great to watch but in reality it's never really got the Blazers anywhere.

By the way. Congrats on another win. Your Suns look really impressive. Not looking forward to playing them next week.

Zen

I don't see how you can have Westbrook but not Davis..... but Westbrook is also Mr Triple Double and has both a MVP and a scoring title. I'd also have Davis over.... Anthony, for sure, and Lillard. So why are we moaning about Davis? But then again, if I were to put in Tony Parker, Klay Thompson(just the 7 titles from these two as key men is it?) or Howard. I'd be more inclined to take out some of the original 50 instead of the new 25 even if I would have them over some of the new 25 also.... hell even Ginobili and Green. Yeah I'm not sure how 2 dynasty teams are represented by one player each given the Bulls/Celtics/Lakers are fully represented, a bit mad. We have way too much respect for era's where talent pools we're smaller and the competition to make it in the first place was substantially less fierce.

elmo

The media love "flash" and that's what Dame mostly gives you. This "Dame time" stuff is really great to watch but in reality it's never really got the Blazers anywhere.

By the way. Congrats on another win. Your Suns look really impressive. Not looking forward to playing them next week.
Yeah, our offense was off today but our defense pulled us through today. It's actually impressive that we look so fresh considering that it's a B2B game for us and the Nets we're well rested.

Bridges with that 7 steals on KD and Harden :drool:

elmo

I don't see how you can have Westbrook but not Davis..... but Westbrook is also Mr Triple Double and has both a MVP and a scoring title. I'd also have Davis over.... Anthony, for sure, and Lillard. So why are we moaning about Davis? But then again, if I were to put in Tony Parker, Klay Thompson(just the 7 titles from these two as key men is it?) or Howard. I'd be more inclined to take out some of the original 50 instead of the new 25 even if I would have them over some of the new 25 also.... hell even Ginobili and Green. Yeah I'm not sure how 2 dynasty teams are represented by one player each given the Bulls/Celtics/Lakers are fully represented, a bit mad. We have way too much respect for era's where talent pools we're smaller and the competition to make it in the first place was substantially less fierce.
It's not a top 75 player of all time list, it's supposed to be a list of the top 75 players who impacted the league.

It's why the list is heavily weighted to the older players, they're the pioneers. For the newer players, it shifted to becoming who's the best players because there's not much they can change the game apart from MJ, Shaq, AI and Steph.

It is why I feel that Paul Pierce, AD, Melo and Dame shouldn't be on the list. None of them actually impacted the game much beyond being pretty damn good at the game but even so none of them can actually say that they're undisputedly the top 10 player of their era.

Hell, if they actually stuck to the original intentions of the list, Yao Ming deserves a spot.

ZDwyr

It's not a top 75 player of all time list, it's supposed to be a list of the top 75 players who impacted the league.

It's why the list is heavily weighted to the older players, they're the pioneers. For the newer players, it shifted to becoming who's the best players because there's not much they can change the game apart from MJ, Shaq, AI and Steph.

It is why I feel that Paul Pierce, AD, Melo and Dame shouldn't be on the list. None of them actually impacted the game much beyond being pretty damn good at the game but even so none of them can actually say that they're undisputedly the top 10 player of their era.

Hell, if they actually stuck to the original intentions of the list, Yao Ming deserves a spot.
Agree on Pierce, AD and Dame (although they are all incredible players). I feel like Melo has impacted the game in a substantial way though. He's very much a legend among this generation of players. I know when he was in OKC both Westbrook and Paul George spoke about how much they idolized Melo (which is weird considering he isn't that much older than them). He's a cult hero in many ways. Probably lacking some high-level individual/team accolades though.

elmo

Agree on Pierce, AD and Dame (although they are all incredible players). I feel like Melo has impacted the game in a substantial way though. He's very much a legend among this generation of players. I know when he was in OKC both Westbrook and Paul George spoke about how much they idolized Melo (which is weird considering he isn't that much older than them). He's a cult hero in many ways. Probably lacking some high-level individual/team accolades though.
First time I'm hearing of this. Pretty sure PG idolized Kobe because he's from LA though.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Another good win. Got in front just before half time and then just pulled away. Steph was Steph and Jordan Poole and Otto Porter chipped in some good numbers, however it was the defense that was notable. It was suffocating the entire game. Holding the Clips to 90 IMLTHO is pretty damn good.

On to Phoenix. Got to admit am worried about this one.