NBA 2022-2023

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
People forget that they have the best coach in the league by some distance.
People also forget they are exactly the same team that was the #1 seed in the East last year, and lost in the ECF in game 7

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
What's the proper way to watch games? Highlights are terrible for basketball I find. You don't get a feel for the shift in momentum so you're just watching them get buckets and the score go up a bit.
You also don't see any defensive schemes, work, how a player can deter others from scoring without blocking them. A big aspect of the game is just gone during the highlights

Andy_Cole

What's the proper way to watch games? Highlights are terrible for basketball I find. You don't get a feel for the shift in momentum so you're just watching them get buckets and the score go up a bit.
I watch the 10 minute condensed game on NBA Pass. I hide the score so it does keep me guessing.

I do agree. But I can’t commit to much more. Watched game 7 last week as it was at a normal time but otherwise I’m not watching a full game unless it is live.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Most of the time I watch the full game replay and use the 10sec and 1min fast forward buttons to skip timeouts, intervals, reviews etc. For someone who is fairly new to basketball I get so incredibly frustrated by the amount of timeouts, especially in the last 90sec of the game where it seems mandatory to take one after every single possession.

ZDwyr

Jimmy Butler is so good. Great personality for the league. A Miami and Denver finals would be fun. Probably not for ESPN and national talking heads but for everyone else.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
How many times have 8th seed won the title?
Never that I'm aware of. I think the lowest seed still is the 95 Rockets who went through a tough postseason slate - 3rd seed* Utah in their perennial playoff choke appearance, 2nd seed Phoenix who choked away both 2-0 and 3-1 series lead, and the 1st seed/top league record San Antonio who also pulled their annual choke job. They then got the East's top seed Orlando, stole game 1 after Nick Anderson missed four free throws in the final seconds and Kenny Smith hit a bomb to force OT, and went on to sweep the series.

*Utah had one more win than Phoenix but the league seeded the division winners first and Utah finished second to San Antonio in the Midwest.

Last edited:

massi83

As others said before NBA app is the way to go. I just skip all the free throws, time-outs and all the other stoppages.

For regular season games, I quite often watch the "all possessions" cut on nba app, about 40mins per game. Yeah, highlights are the worst option for basketball.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If Wemby has a similar career to Hakeem, AD or KD, will it be a disappointment?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Kinda? I mean, no because that's fecking amazing, but also, he's supposed to be an MJ/LeBron caliber talent, so...

Anything less than Shaq/Duncan might be a disappointment?

Revan

Assumptionman
Of course not. It is far more likely that he won't be as good as them rather than being as good as MJ/LeBron. People just exaggerating as usual (Zion was also supposed to become nearly as good as LeBron or so).

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Jimmy Butler is so good. Great personality for the league. A Miami and Denver finals would be fun. Probably not for ESPN and national talking heads but for everyone else.
And this is exactly why I want this matchup. It'll be so funny seeing First Take devote 80% of it's coverage to the Lakers and Knicks, treating the finals as a secondary event

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I doubt the reaches the level of Hakeen or KD, not because he is not uber talented, but because those dudes are legit top 25 players. The recent MJ discussion led me down a, grainy, YouTube rabbit hole of 90's basketball and I am 100% sure that MJ's dominance has made everyone devalue the greatness of the Dream. Man, he was so good.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
My answer to this question that comes from various media outlets is no. It's not even realistic to compare a currently undrafted player with that level of players.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Watching the Nuggets @ Lakers right now and feck me the calls the Lakers are getting from the refs would make Liverpool fans blush they’re so ridiculous.

TheBest

SPNTBP
Why is Russell still playing? Lakers deserve to lose just for keeping him in the game.

SmallCaine

Watching the Nuggets @ Lakers right now and feck me the calls the Lakers are getting from the refs would make Liverpool fans blush they’re so ridiculous.
NBA can't let some small market team just walk all over their golden boys.

shabz

Going to be a very intriguing finals. Jokic is 1 of 9 MVP's to never win a chip and 1 of 3 multiple MVP's to never win a chip. Whereas with the Heat, there has only been 3 teams to ever win the chip without a past, present or future MVP on the team.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Going to be a very intriguing finals. Jokic is 1 of 9 MVP's to never win a chip and 1 of 3 multiple MVP's to never win a chip. Whereas with the Heat, there has only been 3 teams to ever win the chip without a past, present or future MVP on the team.
I wouldn't count Boston out yet. The bookies certainly haven't. They still have them favored over the Heat to win it all.

ExoduS

Denver won with Jokic being not existent for first 3 quarters. This team is special!!!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Denver won with Jokic being not existent for first 3 quarters. This team is special!!!
And fighting some unbelievable calls from the officials. Murray was really good tonight.

NB: I’m a total novice at following this sport.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
A chance to make history. Denver is the best team in the west and probably the nba right now and if murray plays well they will win it all.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
And fighting some unbelievable calls from the officials. Murray was really good tonight.

I’m a newbie to basketball too, find it loads of fun….it’s an antidote to football where a lot of matches feel like a drudgefest.

ExoduS

I have been watching basketball actively since 1995 and been on few average/terrible teams. It is very fun sport. Gotta be tall, size really matters.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Beautiful month of May, from United clinching a CL spot, Arsenal capitulation, Liverpool missing out on the CL and now the Lakers on the verge of elimination :drool:

Zen

God I hope the Lakers win a couple, or at least get a gentlemans sweep... this will be another totally out of context thing we'd never hear the end of if LeBron lost 4-0 :lol:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
The Nuggets are just one brilliant team. Pick and pops, using mismatches and screens, ball circling all around until it finds an open man... And on top of all that, come clutch time all players are coming with big plays.

edit: and yeah officiating was a bit shit first 3 quarters

Last edited:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Of course not. It is far more likely that he won't be as good as them rather than being as good as MJ/LeBron. People just exaggerating as usual (Zion was also supposed to become nearly as good as LeBron or so).
Good shout. I am hearing "best prospect since" and I'm like this is said every few years. I remember people talking big hype over Howard, Rose, Oden, Davis, Simmons, and Zion.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
My answer to this question that comes from various media outlets is no. It's not even realistic to compare a currently undrafted player with that level of players.
Have you seen any of Lebron's high school games? The words 'Magic' and 'Jordan' are sprinkled throughout them liberally by Vitale and those guys. A high school player.....

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
God I hope the Lakers win a couple, or at least get a gentlemans sweep... this will be another totally out of context thing we'd never hear the end of if LeBron lost 4-0 :lol:
You think people would blame him? I mean sane people, not bile-filled haters (professional or amateur).

Zen

This level or hype doesn't tend to flop.... but the sample size is utterly miniscule and theres a first for everything. I mean, I see Oden mentioned above, but he wasn't at this level, or even Duncan levels, I'd say Wemby is reasonably touching LeBron levels, but add in modern social media tax for that :lol:

I'm also coming as a non-American, but this seems Duncan, Crosby, McDavid, Manning, Luck give or take levels to me. Hysterical that this tiny sample size of ultra hyped players has been gifted to the same team twice in Colts and Spurs too.

You think people would blame him? I mean sane people, not bile-filled haters (professional or amateur).
Not necassarily, but yes, and a reason to pad their agenda and a pointless tidbit to the GOAT debate. Perfect clickbait. "Jordan would never!" (using very selective pro-Jordan arguments, because he did!)

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Tbf, I don't remember this much hype since LeBron. Zion hype was kind of big, but more about his athletic ability. This guy has the potential to be an all around monster at 7ft3. That said, a Hakeem kind of career would be more than enough. And the kid should be ecstatic if he reaches such heights.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Good shout. I am hearing "best prospect since" and I'm like this is said every few years. I remember people talking big hype over Howard, Rose, Oden, Davis, Simmons, and Zion.
I think the hype over this guy is more extreme, from what I can remember. The worry for me is whether he can avoid injury.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Tbf, I don't remember this much hype since LeBron. Zion hype was kind of big, but more about his athletic ability. This guy has the potential to be an all around monster at 7ft3. That said, a Hakeem kind of career would be more than enough. And the kid should be ecstatic if he reaches such heights.
I would agree that Lebron is the last guy I remember with this amount of fanfare. It's amazing that Lebron actually lived up to what people were saying about him when he was a literal child.