NBA 2023-2024

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
since you started following nba, who are top 3(or 5) overrated players?

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
since you started following nba, who are top 3(or 5) overrated players?
Dame Lillard is number 1, by a country mile. Scottie Pippin, who I think was a good player but gets a ton of credit for being Robin to MJ's Batman.
Kobe (I have him 9th all time, but I've seen some people have him as high as 2/3)
Anthony Davis (way too injury prone, and to me lacks the heart to be really great).

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Dame Lillard is number 1, by a country mile. Scottie Pippin, who I think was a good player but gets a ton of credit for being Robin to MJ's Batman.
Kobe (I have him 9th all time, but I've seen some people have him as high as 2/3)
Anthony Davis (way too injury prone, and to me lacks the heart to be really great).
We want Durant back!

JPRouve

Scout
I think I let my personal animosity towards him color my thinking because I hate his attitude. I do think he's overrated, but top 5 is probably pushing it.
He deserves it, I rate him as a player and would genuinely love to see him traded to the Wolves for Towns. Even at his advanced age I believe that he would be great in a team that plays as a team. But you are right his attitude stinks when he is the headliner.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

im in similar waters...
Harden - harlem globetrotter, second circus end of the season ends you dont see him in serious basketball

westbrook - peak version, his triple doubles were pathetic and it tells you everything you need to know about the character

kobe - great player but often see people putting him ahead of lebron or just behind mj

durant - worst mentality i ever saw in sport to a point his supreme talent is almost pointless

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Chris Bosh
Ben Wallace
KAT
Paul Pierce
Sigh - Russ

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Young and Durant immediately jumped to mind for me. Young especially is a circus player.

Šjor Bepo

amazed people not mentioning harden, he is probably n1 for me

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I'm amazed nobody else has mentioned Dame Lillard. He's on the 75th Anniversary list, but has no awards, no Championships and a very poor playoff record. (23-41).

EDIT: The fact he's 0-10 against Steph in the playoffs always colors my thinking as well. In addition to making me laugh. :lol:

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
I could be wrong but Harden's rating is almost always comes with a caveat, which limits it to scoring. So I find it more difficult to consider him overrated, the same could be said about Gobert, Rodman or all the players that are highly rated on one side of the ball and labeled as clear liabilities on the other end.

JPRouve

Scout
I'm amazed nobody else has mentioned Dame Lillard. He's on the 75th Anniversary list, but has no awards, no Championships and a very poor playoff record. (23-41).
I agreed with your mention, I couldn't find a 5th player but Lillard would be it.

JPRouve

Scout
Gobert is very good, just not as good as he’s made out to be
What do you think he is made out to be? I didn't watch the Jazz as much as I watch the Wolves and it became quickly very obvious that his defensive impact is massive, defensively he doesn't actually have a weakness and an other thing that is never mentioned he plays up and down all game, he doesn't take possessions off.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
The probem I have with Harden is that I find it very hard to separate my intense dislike of his playing style (he's a cheat) from whether he's overrated or not.

AdNani

What do you think he is made out to be? I didn't watch the Jazz as much as I watch the Wolves and it became quickly very obvious that his defensive impact is massive, defensively he doesn't actually have a weakness and an other thing that is never mentioned he plays up and down all game, he doesn't take possessions off.
he’s a 3 time Defensive player of the year, Garnett has 1, he isn’t a better defender than KG, he’s got the same as Howard, nowhere near Howard, he’s going to be remembered as one of the best defenders of all time and I think he’s not on that level. For Example when he won his last one, Bam was a better defender that year, Gobert won on reputation

still a very good player though

Šjor Bepo

I could be wrong but Harden's rating is almost always comes with a caveat, which limits it to scoring. So I find it more difficult to consider him overrated, the same could be said about Gobert, Rodman or all the players that are highly rated on one side of the ball and labeled as clear liabilities on the other end.
few years ago he was always mentioned in best player of the league conversations

AdNani

The probem I have with Harden is that I find it very hard to separate my intense dislike of his playing style (he's a cheat) from whether he's overrated or not.
He’s also a massive bottler, funny he’s went to the clippers where his choking is going to be overshadowed by Paul George

JPRouve

Scout
he’s a 3 time Defensive player of the year, Garnett has 1, he isn’t a better defender than KG, he’s got the same as Howard, nowhere near Howard, he’s going to be remembered as one of the best defenders of all time and I think he’s not on that level. For Example when he won his last one, Bam was a better defender that year, Gobert won on reputation

still a very good player though
I have two thoughts:

DPOY isn't an evaluation of the historical rating of a player, it's an annual award against your current peers. It makes little sense to claim that a player is overrated because he has more awards than someone he wasn't competing with for individual awards.

Regarding the 2021 DPOY, in principle I fine with the idea that you rated Adebayo higher but Gobert was in the conversation and if for example we look at advanced stats one player had 5.2 defensive win-shares while the other had 3.2. So let's say that Gobert deserves one less DPOY, should that make him overrated when he was rightfully in the conversation and statistically better than your favorite?

Also Howard and KG are widely considered to be better than Gobert, people see them as better two way players, they think that they are more versatile defenders. And that's in spite of the fact that in reality Gobert has elites numbers even iso on the outside or inside. If anything people often underrate him and make up weaknesses that are not true.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bendow...r-defense-is-an-major-tool-for-the-utah-jazz/

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Dame likely to miss game 4 and if Giannis isn't back that might be curtains for the bucks. And because of the injuries that might lead them to keeping Doc and waste next season too

AdNani

I have two thoughts:

DPOY isn't an evaluation of the historical rating of a player, it's an annual award against your current peers. It makes little sense to claim that a player is overrated because he has more awards than someone he wasn't competing with for individual awards.

Regarding the 2021 DPOY, in principle I fine with the idea that you rated Adebayo higher but Gobert was in the conversation and if for example we look at advanced stats one player had 5.2 defensive win-shares while the other had 3.2. So let's say that Gobert deserves one less DPOY, should that make him overrated when he was rightfully in the conversation and statistically better than your favorite?

Also Howard and KG are widely considered to be better than Gobert, people see them as better two way players, they think that they are more versatile defenders. And that's in spite of the fact that in reality Gobert has elites numbers even iso on the outside or inside. If anything people often underrate him and make up weaknesses that are not true.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bendow...r-defense-is-an-major-tool-for-the-utah-jazz/
he doesn’t really have a weakness, I’m not saying that at all. He’s a great defender, just not an all time one. Maybe my point should be that Garnett and Howard are underrated defenders :lol:

and awards absolutely come into it, who’s the better Point guard Steve Nash or Jason Kidd?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
DPOY is the ultimate award. I won't hear any different.

JPRouve

Scout
he doesn’t really have a weakness, I’m not saying that at all. He’s a great defender, just not an all time defender.

and awards absolutely come into it, who’s the better Point guard Steve Nash or Jason Kidd?
Okay.

And I don't know who is the better point guard.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Lakers look by far the better team. How they gonna feck it up this time….

SmallCaine

Commentator asking Have lakers found something, media just never learn do they. Most of the other team having a bad night is not something you can just count on especially when they get to their home and your players who have normally sucked finally performed in 1 game.

Last edited:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Commentator asking Have lakers found something, media just never learn do they. Most of the other team having a bad night is not something you can just count on especially when they get to their home and your players who have normally sucked finally performed in 1 game.
The TV guys are just trying to make it appear to the audience that this is now a competitive series and that they should tune in for the next game. I'm not sure they actually believe anything they actually spout. They're just looking for ratings.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The "we didn't get swept 2024" parade when???