NBA Thread 2013-2014

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
The NBA Draft is next Thursday. Cleveland has the first pick and rumors are that they will go with Alex Len. Cleveland has been notorious for their unpredictability these past few years, taking Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters before anyone expected them to. Other options at #1 or Nerlens Noel, Otto Porter, Josh Bartelstein and Ben McLemore.

The Pistons are the early favorites to run away with the East according to most experts but the West should be a lot closer with San Antonio and Oklahoma City sure to contend next year and Memphis, Los Angeles, Denver, Golden State and Houston likely to improve.

Eboue

The Heat are done. Bosh is garbage, Wade is over the hill and LeBron is going to opt out after the season. The Pistons, however, are a team on the rise. As RDCR07 smartly points out, they are favorites. We currently have two good players and if we get lucky in the draft we might even have three!

Scrumpet

There are no words
Hmm, Pistons kit is decent but they're badge is awful, why is there a horse on it? Not winning anything with that, you won't fool me, Eboue.

Eboue

Also, I watch a ton of college basketball so here are some scouting reports.

Anthony Bennet - too fat to play SF, too slow to play PF. Good scorer but will get abused defensively
Trey Burke - Awesome. Chris Paul lite
Nerlens Noel - No offensive game, great defender and shot blocker but is too skinny to player center right away and doesn't have the shooting ability to play power forward right away
Ben McLemore - Good shooter, great athletic ability. Decent on defense but a poor ball handler.
Alex Len - Lots of potential. Good defensively with the ability to be great someday. Decent shooter but a good ball handler for his size.
Victor Oladipo - Excellent defender with very good athleticism too. A good shooter as well but not a very good dribbler and he struggles to create his own shot. Tony Allen with better range.

Eboue

My boy in the Dallas area said rumors are Charlotte will offer #4 to Miami for Bosh. I think Miami would bit their hands off.

Miami should give away Bosh for literally any player on a minimum contract. He's a stretch four that doesn't rebound anymore and isn't a great shooter. But he's on the hook for another $79 million.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Miami should give away Bosh for literally any player on a minimum contract. He's a stretch four that doesn't rebound anymore and isn't a great shooter. But he's on the hook for another $79 million.
Bosh for A'mare (despite the contracts for both)! What a horrendous trade for both sides that would be. At least Bosh and his 0 points would not interfere with Anthony!

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
It will be interesting to see if Paul and Howard lineup together in the offseason.

RDCR07

I want him out of LA for sure. He can feck off to Houston. And whats the Clips/Celts deal?

MrMarcello

Saw a ticker line that the commissioner will not approve the Clippers/Celtics deal if it involves players. They will only approve draft picks for the coach. As good as Rivers is, he's not worth two first round picks. Only one coach in NBA history is and his name is Phil Jackson.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I've read the Cavs might take Oladipo. I'll be watching whatever team he ends up on, I wouldn't mind if that was Cleveland...really hoping it's not Washington!

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I'm impressed with Howard wanting out of LA, if that's true. With the way Kobe hogs the ball there's no way he'll win another title. Next year is a wash for Kobe and thus LA anyway. But until he retires his salary will make it impossible for the Lakers to get two other top earners.

Zen

Another write off season, call me in 2018/19 when Derrick Rose returns, everything that happens until then must have an asterisk next to it. Kinda like Houstons two wins* in the mid 90's, everyone just says Chicago would of won 8 in a row had Jordan not decided this game was too easy for him.

MrMarcello

Kobe should take a pay cut so his club can sign more pieces. Dirk did it for Dallas, I'm sure others have too. But some players seem more obsessed with salary than winning.

Zen

I wonder what would happen if something as blatant as a $20m player just decided to renegotiate their contract down to a minimum contract knowing they could milk endorsements just so their team could fill up on free agents......gotta be something in the rulebook that prevents stupid drops in salary otherwise it would of happened at some point, right?

Did Dirk really take that big of a hit? He's still the second highest paid. And somehow Lakers were still able to pay Nash $10m, I just wish it went to a strict cap like the NHL tbf.

RDCR07

Kobe should take a pay cut so his club can sign more pieces. Dirk did it for Dallas, I'm sure others have too. But some players seem more obsessed with salary than winning.
He will never win his 6th ring unless some sort of miracle happens. One the coach isnt good enough to win the title and two, the team around him is pretty shit.

RDCR07

But why? Is it like United when we are never predicted to win the league and Chelsea/Arsenal/City/Liverpool have always better teams?
SARCASM! Eboue is a fan of Pistons, so I was just playing along with him.

Revan

Assumptionman
SARCASM! Eboue is a fan of Pistons, so I was just playing along with him.
Ah, ok. Eboue, Pistons are the best ever, even better than when they had Billups, Prince, Hamilton and Wallace x2

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Had the Pistons drafted Wade in 2003 instead of Darko...

Or even Carmelo or Bosh on that veteran team they would have become better team players especially Carmelo. Bosh 20-10 guy at Toronto as well. So many what if's in basketball.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Another write off season, call me in 2018/19 when Derrick Rose returns, everything that happens until then must have an asterisk next to it. Kinda like Houstons two wins* in the mid 90's, everyone just says Chicago would of won 8 in a row had Jordan not decided this game was too easy for him.

They didn't get a second three-peat until they signed Rodman. Some people say that was the decisive factor that tipped the scales towards the Bulls.

uae

Desperately wants a tagline under his name
feck me this Doc Rivers+KG on again off again story is getting tiresome!

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Really, the Pacers being good without the Pistons being good seems wrong somehow. I miss the fighting.

2013 NBA DRAFT INFO.

When: June 27, 2013
Where: Barclays Center (Brooklyn, N.Y.)
Time: 7 p.m. ET (ESPN, WatchESPN.com)

CHAD FORD'S BIG BOARD
RkNamePos.FromStock
1 Nerlens Noel C Kentucky
Will Noel be the next Anthony Davis? More »

2 Victor Oladipo SG Indiana
Super athletic, crazy motor, elite def ... More »

3 Otto Porter SF Georgetown
Do-it-all forward. More »

4 Anthony Bennett PF UNLV
Bennett is a beast inside and outside More »

5 Alex Len C Maryland
Len has the size/athletic ability to b ... More »

6 Ben McLemore SG Kansas
McLemore getting some Ray Allen comps More »

7 Trey Burke PG Michigan
  • Burke announced that he's returnin ... More »

8 Michael Carter-Williams PG Syracuse
Big, slithery point guard More »

9 C.J. McCollum PG Lehigh
June 18 Update: The Blazers also are i ... More »

10 Cody Zeller PF Indiana
Skilled, efficient big man More »

MrMarcello

They didn't get a second three-peat until they signed Rodman. Some people say that was the decisive factor that tipped the scales towards the Bulls.
Pick up after 1993 season...

1993-94: Bulls still had the likes of Pippen (top 5 player), Grant (stud PF), Armstrong, Cartwright, and added the likes of Kerr, Kukoc and Myers. If Jordan is there they're the most dominant side in the league, and probably a 65-70 win season. The East Finals would probably have pitted Chicago vs New York (again) and I doubt the Knicks would have won out. However, facing a solid Houston side could have pushed Chicago to seven games as Olajuwon would have toyed with Chicago's big men. That said, if the Knicks were up 3-1 on Houston, I fancy the Bulls would have closed the Rockets in five or six games.
Prediction: Bulls four-peat
Depth chart:http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/1994.html
PG - Armstrong, Kerr, Paxson
SG - Jordan, Myers [no trade for English (not necessary)]
SF - Pippen, Kukoc, Johnson (also 3rd SG)
PF - Grant, Williams, Blount
C - Cartwright, King, Wennington, Perdue [King traded for Longley in Feb 94]

1994-95: Grant jumped ship to Orlando, Cartwright with Seattle, Williams with Philadelphia, Paxson retired, Johnson released. Brought in Harper, Buechler, Krystkowiak, and Foster, drafted Simpkins. Jordan and Pippen were still top 5 players in the league but losing Grant, Cartwright and Williams and replacing with Foster and Krystkowiak, and ultimately starting Kukoc at PF, showed a massive downgrade. Meanwhile, the likes of Indiana and Orlando (Grant) strengthened and the Knicks were still a solid side as well. I would say this Bulls side would still be a solid bet to win 58-64 games with Jordan for a full season. However, a second round matchup with the Knicks would be physical per normal, and in the conference finals the upstart youth of Orlando versus Chicago's experience and tiredness (basically five seasons played in past four years with playoffs). Shaq and Grant dominate Chicago's soft front court and lack of rebounding efficiency, while Hardaway destroys Armstrong/Kerr duo and Anderson proves himself a decent defender (he actually was) in attempting to contain Jordan (as much as possible). The Bulls would exact their revenge in 1996.
Prediction: Bulls lose in East Finals to Orlando, 4-2
Depth chart: http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_1995.html
PG: Armstrong, Kerr
SG: Jordan, Harper, Myers
SF: Pippen, Kukoc, Buechler
PF: Krystkowiak, Foster, Blount, Simpkins [Waived Foster Dec 94]
C: Perdue, Wennington, Longley

Seeing a definite need to add a rebounder to the side, the Bulls acquired Rodman from the Spurs, perhaps the biggest mistake in Spurs history (for fecking Will Perdue!). It's arguable that much like Deion with 49ers/Cowboys, the maverick Rodman was the difference maker. Rodman's arrival forced Kukoc to revert to his sixth man role, Harper took over at PG (position only, Pippen was a point forward, and Jordan ofter brought the ball up court), and Longley seized the starting center spot. But most importantly, Rodman brought a player that focused solely on defense and rebounding, and brought some nastiness to a front court that was softer than toilet paper.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Can someone please explain the whole Mumbo-jumbo with luxury tax, minimum contract etc. etc.?

Hard to explain I will give it a go.

Basically in the NBA there is a salary cap on all the teams this is done to even the playing field and curtail spending so a big market team like the Lakers or Knicks who makes much more than say Memphis or Minnesota are not able to just outspend the other teams and get all the talent. So lets say the salary cap is $58 million that means that all the teams in the league cannot go over paying $58 million in terms of yearly wages or they will pay the penalty. The salary cap is soft (meaning teams can go over it with a hard cap nobody can go over the number which has been stated) so the teams with bigger revenue can and will go over but they pay the price for that because when you do go over you enter the luxury tax. So if the salary cap is at $58 million and you are spending $100 million that means you pay a $100 million while also giving the league $42 million which is how much you are over the cap and the league shares that money among the teams who are not paying the tax. From 13/14 they have changed the rules now and they are even stricter.

If you are $5 million over you pay $1.50 on the dollar so a team that is over by $5 million will pay $7.5 million and repeat offenders at this level will pay $12.5 million
If you are $5-$10 million over you pay $2.50 on the dollar so a team that is over by $10 million will pay $17.5 million and a repeat offender will pay $27.5 million
If you are $10-$15 million over you pay $2.50 on the dollar so a team that is $15 million over will pay $37.5 million and a repeat offender will pay $52.5 million
If you are $15-$20 million over you pay 3.25 on the dollar so a team that is $20 million over will pay $65 million and a repeat offender will pay $85 million

So they have really upped the ante teams like Miami, Knicks, Nets and the Lakers will have to curtail spending or they will pay and that money is shared among non tax paying teams. I don't expect the Nets or Knicks to they are both rich the Lakers may not either.

The cap is soft and teams can go over it they are given some exceptions which they can use to sign players there is the mid-level, rookie, Larry bird exception there are a few other but I don't know them.

Mid-level: the mid level exception can change figure wise and length wise depending on the team and how often they have been over the luxury tax with the heavier repeat offenders getting a lower (MLE) so lets say $5 million for four years for a good team $3.5 million for 3 years for a not too bad offender and $2.5 for two years. After 13/14 the MLE is staying at the stated level and increase by 3% each year.

Rookie: This just means team that teams can go over the salary cap to sign first round draft picks to rookie scale contracts.

Larry Bird: Named after the great player because he was the first player this rule was used for teams are allowed to go over the salary cap to sign their own players at an amount equal to maximum salary. Teams can only use it once so Miami with Wade, Bosh and Lebron can only use that rule on one of them the players has to have played for the same team for 3 seasons also.

The new rules came in under the new collective bargaining agreement made last year which is why the season was shortened because the players and owners struggled to come to an agreement the owners won in the end though :lol:.

Hope that helps (had to do some research to make sure my figures where right)

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
My boy in the Dallas area said rumors are Charlotte will offer #4 to Miami for Bosh. I think Miami would bite their hands off.
Bosh for A'mare (despite the contracts for both)! What a horrendous trade for both sides that would be. At least Bosh and his 0 points would not interfere with Anthony!
Re-jected! Both.

I know Bosh isn't James, and there has been a lot of criticism going his way, including from myself, but he still does a lot more than what people giving him credit for. I watched game 6 again (and again and again and again), and what I didn't notice during the game is that he actually made the most important plays down the stretch. You can't summarize Bosh's contribution this season by that 0 points in game 7 (he was awful in game 7 I agree).

If there is a decent trade on the table, then I think Miami should definitely listen, but a 4th draft pick or Amare won't even make it to the negotiations table. Don't forget Bosh now has also developed some good chemistry with James and Wade during those 3 years, and the coach know now what to expect from him. He's tested, and he's won 2 rings with the heat whether you like it or now. It won't be easy to give him up for anything. Unless Miami can secure a good piece to add to their squad, I don't think they'll be giving Bosh up that easily.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
The Heat are done. Bosh is garbage, Wade is over the hill and LeBron is going to opt out after the season. The Pistons, however, are a team on the rise. As RDCR07 smartly points out, they are favorites. We currently have two good players and if we get lucky in the draft we might even have three!
Can't say I'm not worried about the Heat next season to be honest.. But for now, I'm just enjoying the moment...

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
WOW! The Clippers did get Rivers in the end!

They kept Paul as well, and Boston will get a 2015 no.1 draft pick.

Great deal for the Clippers.. But where does Boston go from here now?

By the way, Garnett won't be joining Rivers at the Clippers, because the NBA disallowed it.

Eboue

The league is a closed system. If a player wishes to join the league, they declare themselves eligible for the draft. Each team has two picks in the draft. They draft in order of worst record to best (with the lottery making a little bit of difference). If a player is picked by a team, they control his rights for the next four seasons. If a player is undrafted, he can sign with whoever he wants.