NBA Thread 2013-2014

Tabata

Likes threads entitled 'Torres Signs' & welches on
To think this time next year Canada will more than likely have two number 1 NBA picks.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
The Spurs do their typical brilliant job and pick up DeShawn Thomas with the 58th pick. He's a heck of a scorer, and if Pop wants him then he must have all the signs of the discipline and character it takes to play the right way. He may not have the perfect NBA body, but then neither did/does Paul Pierce.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Not a good defender, not a good three point shooter. Not a good rebounder and just a volume scorer. His ceiling is a 7th or 8th man who can score off the bench. His floor is playing in Greece by 2016.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Allen exercises option for his second year, as expected..

Looks like Anderson is also re-signing in July, not clear yet for what kind of money though, veteran minium may be? Miami can, technically, still add a miniMLE player this year, but the bill is getting big, may be too big for Arison..

Hope he doesn't amnesty Miller.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Keep in mind this is the year the escalating tax penalties kick in. Those penalties get even steeper for repeat tax offenders. It's easy to theoretically spend other people's money, especially when they're filthy rich like NBA owners not named Maloof, but ultimately NOBODY likes losing millions of dollars.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Great to see Oladipo to 2nd and Zeller 4th, should be great for Indiana University recruiting. Zeller is actually tough and skilled enough to shine even for the Bobcats...er Hornets. I was worried Dipo would go there and I'd have to watch the most boring team in the league. Thank god he's headed to Orlando instead, I can stand them.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Allen exercises option for his second year, as expected..

Looks like Anderson is also re-signing in July, not clear yet for what kind of money though, veteran minium may be? Miami can, technically, still add a miniMLE player this year, but the bill is getting big, may be too big for Arison..

Hope he doesn't amnesty Miller.
Isn't he still getting paid by the Nuggets? Doubt he'll go asking for more money when Miami is his best shot at another ring.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Keep in mind this is the year the escalating tax penalties kick in. Those penalties get even steeper for repeat tax offenders. It's easy to theoretically spend other people's money, especially when they're filthy rich like NBA owners not named Maloof, but ultimately NOBODY likes losing millions of dollars.
I know.. I hope Riley can somehow convince him that it's gonna be worth it.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Guys can someone fill me in on the draft and the Nets trade please?

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Guys can someone fill me in on the draft and the Nets trade please?
The draft: Brooklyn selected Mason Plumlee out of Duke in the first round. They didn't have a second round pick because they traded it to Minnesota for Bojan Bogdanovic in 2011.

Trade: Brooklyn receives Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Jason Terry

Boston receives Kris Humphries, Gerald Wallace, MarShon Brooks, Keith Bogans (sign and trade), Kris Joseph, first round picks from 2014, 2016, 2018, and an option to swap the 2017 first round pick with the Nets.

ArmchairCritic

Are the 76ers really going to trade Holiday for Noel then? Bit risky that.

Eboue

The advanced stats guys are really down on Holliday. And this is probably the deepest the NBA has ever been as far as point guard talent goes. (despite the Pistons still pretending that Brandon Knight is a point guard) I think the idea is to tank this year with Noel and hope for Wiggins/Parker next year.

ArmchairCritic

It's a good trade looking at next year's draft class. Not sure why the NO made that trade with Vasquez's emergence last year.

Eboue

Yeah, that one mystified me a bit. But then I'm not quite as height-obsessed as your average NBA exec.

The Sixers blowing up their squad did seem to be done pretty cheaply.

I'm probably higher on Burke than pretty much everyone but I also watched more Burke than pretty much everyone. I think he compares favorably to Chris Paul coming out of college. That's not to say he will be better than Burke. He probably won't even be close. But I think Burke will definitely be the best guard in the class.

ArmchairCritic

I think the NO-76ers trade is a risk worth taking all round to be fair.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I'm probably higher on Burke than pretty much everyone but I also watched more Burke than pretty much everyone. I think he compares favorably to Chris Paul coming out of college. That's not to say he will be better than Burke. He probably won't even be close. But I think Burke will definitely be the best guard in the class.
I'm hoping Larkin turns out good.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
There's some talk of Rondo possibly being traded. Celtics really would be pressing the reset button if they traded him away.

Not sure what's caused this to happen, but Bill Simmons is pissed with Doc and semi-threatened him on twitter yesterday. I'd like to see Bill in a fight.

Howard will be meeting with Dallas and Houston. I think he should go to Houston, would fit better there than he does in LA, who still have that despicable twat as coach.

MrMarcello

I personally hope he chooses Dallas over Houston, for biased reasons of course, and that I fecking despite all Houston sports teams (in-state rivalry thing). If this occurs (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/29/report-celtics-and-mavericks-have-talked-trade-for-rajon-rondo/) without giving up Dirk that could possibly entice Howard to come to Dallas, although cap may not allow it. Dirk has stated he would take a massive pay reduction in order to get another star or two so it's possible Dirk could half his 2013-14 salary to 10m and extend a year for 10m. However, if there could be a sign-and-trade (Kamaan, Marion, others/picks?) that might work, although I believe I heard Lakers can't sign-and-trade Howard due to some CBA clause. A Rondo-Mayo-SF-Dirk-Howard combination could put Dallas right in the thick of things out West.

I can't imagine Rondo wanting to stick around in Boston. So my guess is they trade him before the season or hang onto him until the deadline. So what clubs? I figure he probably has some sort of clause in his contract which means he probably gets to choose which club. I'll name a few possible players.

Knicks... any expiring contracts that might entice Boston?
Pacers... what could they give up? West and Hill?
Hawks... ?
Mavs... see above
Lakers... doubtful but if Howard is gone there is perhaps some room to make a trade.
Nuggets... ?
Thunder... ?
Rockets... Lin and others? Rondo-Harden-Howard trio would be scary.
Warriors... ?
Memphis... ?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I have no idea about salary issues, so I'm not sure if this is possible, but I always liked the idea of Westbrook & Rondo swapping places. Rondo would fit in well with Durant and Westbrook can be the #1 player on a team.

MrMarcello

I saw that. Bit harsh to wish leukemia on another. Then again, about 98% of Heat "fans" joined the bandwagon about three years ago. I figure there's one or two in this thread alone but I shall not name names. ;)

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
I saw that. Bit harsh to wish leukemia on another. Then again, about 98% of Heat "fans" joined the bandwagon about three years ago. I figure there's one or two in this thread alone but I shall not name names. ;)
Because the Lakers' fans are the real fans, who chose a club to support even though they've never won a championship.. Oh wait...

;)

MrMarcello

Because the Lakers' fans are the real fans, who chose a club to support even though they've never won a championship.. Oh wait...

;)
Umm, Dallas have won the NBA title, beating that club with all those "fans." Not sure where the Lakers bit comes in. I grew up in Fort Worth and Dallas is my local club. The Lakers are great soap opera material in much the same way the Cowboys (whom I also root for) and Yankees (whom I have no rooting interest nor detest) are.

You responding names yourself as a bandwagon fan. Only one that knows he/she is a bandwagon fan would have been undone by my post. Ta ta.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Umm, Dallas have won the NBA title, beating that club with all those "fans." Not sure where the Lakers bit comes in. I grew up in Fort Worth and Dallas is my local club. The Lakers are great soap opera material in much the same way the Cowboys (whom I also root for) and Yankees (whom I have no rooting interest nor detest) are.

You responding names yourself as a bandwagon fan. Only one that knows he/she is a bandwagon fan would have been undone by my post. Ta ta.
:lol: Oh no, no! MrMarwhatever says I'm a bandwagon fan.. You need to grow up.

Anyway, so you're a Dallas fan?! Or a Laker fan? I don't get it.

The Lakers bit comes in to expose the illusion that "only Heat fans support their team because they have great players and won trophies".. Over 50% of the fans we have here are Lakers fans, and let me guess, "they all grew up in LA"..

MrMarcello

:lol: Oh no, no! MrMarwhatever says I'm a bandwagon fan.. You need to grow up.

Anyway, so you're a Dallas fan?! Or a Laker fan? I don't get it.

The Lakers bit comes in to expose the illusion that "only Heat fans support their team because they have great players and won trophies".. Over 50% of the fans we have here are Lakers fans, and let me guess, "they all grew up in LA"..
LeBron wept. It's ok, we don't mind your recently found fanship of Miami. All clubs have their share of bandwagon fans though Miami's may have exceeded the Bulls and Lakers in the all-time table (though probably half of those Bulls fans left after Jordan retired a 2nd time and the Bulls reverted to being crap; same will happen to Miami ALBJ).

Over 50% of the fans on the Caf are Lakers fans? Heck, let's get a poll then. Mods - NBA fandom poll?

I guess I would pick LAL as my second fav club as I did like them as a kid, and Magic is my fav player of all-time, granted basketball is like my fourth fav team sport, and I only hold one allegiance - to Dallas (for all team sports). Heck, I also rooted for the Hawks and Knicks at times in years past normally based on their opponent (sorry Eboue, always disliked the Pistons but the Jazz were cool). Also enjoyed watching the Suns with KJ and Barkley. Am I Suns fan too?

Clearly the Mavs are my fav team, and my local team from my years growing up otherwise I wouldn't have rooted for them, obviously. I've mentioned it plenty of times in the past in this forum. I didn't pick clubs based on the player (like LBJ and MJ fans), or the club at the top of the table/champions, or a club that assembles a dream team through free agency (ala Miami). The only bandwagon I did was MUFC but the US had no league anyhow and they lost the title to Blackburn that year I discovered them.

Anyhow, fair shakes to you for hopping on the Miami bandwagon. Enjoy the ride.

Zen

As long as likes the LOLPhins and Marlins as well, it's cool.