NBA Thread 2013-2014

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
LeBron wept. It's ok, we don't mind your recently found fanship of Miami. All clubs have their share of bandwagon fans though Miami's may have exceeded the Bulls and Lakers in the all-time table (though probably half of those Bulls fans left after Jordan retired a 2nd time and the Bulls reverted to being crap; same will happen to Miami ALBJ).

Over 50% of the fans on the Caf are Lakers fans? Heck, let's get a poll then. Mods - NBA fandom poll?

I guess I would pick LAL as my second fav club as I did like them as a kid, and Magic is my fav player of all-time, granted basketball is like my fourth fav team sport, and I only hold one allegiance - to Dallas (for all team sports). Heck, I also rooted for the Hawks and Knicks at times in years past normally based on their opponent (sorry Eboue, always disliked the Pistons but the Jazz were cool). Also enjoyed watching the Suns with KJ and Barkley. Am I Suns fan too?

Clearly the Mavs are my fav team, and my local team from my years growing up otherwise I wouldn't have rooted for them, obviously. I've mentioned it plenty of times in the past in this forum. I didn't pick clubs based on the player (like LBJ and MJ fans), or the club at the top of the table/champions, or a club that assembles a dream team through free agency (ala Miami). The only bandwagon I did was MUFC but the US had no league anyhow and they lost the title to Blackburn that year I discovered them.

Anyhow, fair shakes to you for hopping on the Miami bandwagon. Enjoy the ride.
Are you pretending to know me?

So you're a Dallas fan?! I would have never guessed that! :lol:

Also :lol: at the red parts..

Anyway let me understand this.. Are you saying that you have to live in the club area to be considered a "real fan"?

TheBest

SPNTBP
I can't believe this conversation is happening on a Manchester United forum.
:lol:
LeBron wept. It's ok, we don't mind your recently found fanship of Miami. All clubs have their share of bandwagon fans though Miami's may have exceeded the Bulls and Lakers in the all-time table (though probably half of those Bulls fans left after Jordan retired a 2nd time and the Bulls reverted to being crap; same will happen to Miami ALBJ).

Over 50% of the fans on the Caf are Lakers fans? Heck, let's get a poll then. Mods - NBA fandom poll?

I guess I would pick LAL as my second fav club as I did like them as a kid, and Magic is my fav player of all-time, granted basketball is like my fourth fav team sport, and I only hold one allegiance - to Dallas (for all team sports). Heck, I also rooted for the Hawks and Knicks at times in years past normally based on their opponent (sorry Eboue, always disliked the Pistons but the Jazz were cool). Also enjoyed watching the Suns with KJ and Barkley. Am I Suns fan too?

Clearly the Mavs are my fav team, and my local team from my years growing up otherwise I wouldn't have rooted for them, obviously. I've mentioned it plenty of times in the past in this forum. I didn't pick clubs based on the player (like LBJ and MJ fans), or the club at the top of the table/champions, or a club that assembles a dream team through free agency (ala Miami). The only bandwagon I did was MUFC but the US had no league anyhow and they lost the title to Blackburn that year I discovered them.

Anyhow, fair shakes to you for hopping on the Miami bandwagon. Enjoy the ride.
:lol:

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Don't worry MrMarcello, we won't have to bear them for very long. Most of them will feck off with LeBron. Even if he doesn't leave Miami, they won't win another championship for a while, Wade is on the decline and Bosh ain't all that. They got lucky in this years finals but it is the beginning of the end for them.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Play nice now boys.

Very few NBA games were on when I was a kid, I probably only watched the finals because that's all that was on network television at the time. I just picked the Lakers myself because I liked their uniforms.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
NBA announces 22-team Vegas Summer League schedule

Official release
Posted Jun 19, 2013 2:05 PM
Las Vegas Summer League Schedule
NEW YORK -- The NBA Summer League 2013 in Las Vegas will feature 22 teams competing in a 61-game schedule from July 12-22 at the Thomas & Mack Center and COX Pavilion on the campus of the University of Nevada Las Vegas.

This summer's event will feature the debut of a tournament style schedule that will crown the first ever NBA Summer League Champion on Monday, July 22. Teams will compete in three preliminary round games from July 12-16 before being seeded in a tournament running through the Championship Game on July 22. Each team is guaranteed to play at least five games.
NBA TV will televise a full slate of NBA Summer League games and live game action will also extend across digital platforms. A complete broadcast schedule will be released at a later date.
NBA Summer League 2013 will open with the debut of New Orleans as the Pelicans when they face the New York Knicks on Friday, July 12 at 1 p.m. PT. The Cleveland Cavaliers, who have the top selection in this year's NBA Draft, will also tip off their Summer League competition on July 12 when they square off against the Los Angeles Lakers at COX Pavilion at 7 p.m. PT. The Cavaliers have been participants in every NBA Summer League in Las Vegas since the league's inception in 2004.
Additional teams participating this year include the Atlanta Hawks, Charlotte Bobcats (fourth pick in 2013 NBA Draft), Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks (13th pick), Denver Nuggets, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Clippers, Los Angeles Lakers, Memphis Grizzlies, Miami Heat, Milwaukee Bucks, Minnesota Timberwolves (ninth pick), New Orleans Pelicans (sixth pick), New York Knicks, Phoenix Suns (fifth pick), Portland Trail Blazers (10th pick), Sacramento Kings (seventh pick), San Antonio Spurs, Toronto Raptors, Washington Wizards (third pick) and the NBA D-League Select team.
Exciting games featuring the NBA's newest talent have always been a staple at NBA Summer League, with seven of the last eight NBA Rookie of the Year Award winners joining their teams in Las Vegas including: Chris Paul (New Orleans, 2005-06), Brandon Roy (Portland, 2006-07), Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City, 2007-08), Tyreke Evans (Sacramento, 2009-10), Blake Griffin (L.A. Clippers, 2010-11), Kyrie Irving (Cleveland, 2011-12) and Damian Lillard (Portland, 2012-13).
Tickets for the NBA Summer League 2013 are on sale now. Fans will be able to purchase tickets by calling 702-739-FANS, through UNLVtickets.com or by visiting any UNLV ticket outlet.
All times listed are Pacific Timezone (PT)
NBA Summer League 2013 Schedule

Friday July 12
COX Pavilion
1 PM -- New York vs. New Orleans (Game 1)
3 PM -- Atlanta vs. LA Clippers (Game 2)
5 PM -- Cleveland vs. LA Lakers (Game 3)
7 PM -- Charlotte vs. San Antonio (Game 4)
Saturday July 13
COX Pavilion
1 PM -- Golden State vs. Washington (Game 5)
3 PM -- Sacramento vs. Dallas (Game 6)
5 PM -- Chicago vs. Memphis (Game 8)
7 PM -- Denver vs. Milwaukee (Game 10)
Thomas & Mack
3:30 PM -- Minnesota vs. NBA D-League (Game 7)
5:30 PM -- Phoenix vs. Portland (Game 9)
7:30 PM -- Miami vs. Toronto (Game 11)
Sunday July 14
COX Pavilion
1 PM -- New York vs. Washington (Game 12)
3 PM -- Charlotte vs. Dallas (Game 14)
5 PM -- Cleveland vs. Memphis (Game 16)
7 PM -- Atlanta vs. Miami (Game 18)
Thomas & Mack
1:30 PM -- LA Clippers vs. NBA D-League (Game 13)
3:30 PM -- LA Lakers vs. Portland (Game 15)
5:30 PM -- New Orleans vs. Milwaukee (Game 17)
7:30 PM -- San Antonio vs. Toronto (Game 19)
Monday July 15
COX Pavilion
1 PM -- New York vs. Charlotte (Game 20)
3 PM -- Cleveland vs. New Orleans (Game 21)
5 PM -- LA Clippers vs. LA Lakers (Game 23)
7 PM -- San Antonio vs. Atlanta (Game 25)
Thomas & Mack
3:30 PM -- Minnesota vs. Phoenix (Game 22)
5:30 PM -- Sacramento vs. Golden State (Game 24)
7:30 PM -- Chicago vs. Denver (Game 26)
Tuesday July 16
COX Pavilion
1 PM -- Minnesota vs. Miami (Game 27)
3 PM -- Sacramento vs. Toronto (Game 28)
5 PM -- Chicago vs. Portland (Game 30)
7 PM -- Denver vs. Washington (Game 32)
Thomas & Mack
3:30 PM -- Golden State vs. Milwaukee (Game 29)
5:30 PM -- Phoenix vs. Memphis (Game 31)
7:30 PM -- Dallas vs. NBA D-League (Game 33)
Wednesday July 17
COX Pavilion
3 PM -- #11 Seed vs. #22 Seed (Game 34)
5 PM -- #13 Seed vs. #20 Seed (Game 36)
7 PM -- #15 Seed vs. #18 Seed (Game 38)
Thomas & Mack
3:30 PM -- #12 Seed vs. #21 Seed (Game 35)
5:30 PM -- #14 Seed vs. #19 Seed (Game 37)
7:30 PM -- #16 Seed vs. #17 Seed (Game 39)
Thursday July 18
COX Pavilion
1 PM -- #7 Seed vs. #10 Seed (Game 40)
3 PM -- #6 Seed vs. Winner of Game 34 (Game 42)
5 PM -- #4 Seed vs. Winner of Game 36 (Game 44)
7 PM -- #2 Seed vs. Winner of Game 38 (Game 46)
Thomas & Mack
1:30 PM - #8 Seed vs. #9 Seed (Game 41)
3:30 PM -- #5 Seed vs. Winner of Game 35 (Game 43)
5:30 PM -- #3 Seed vs. Winner of Game 37 (Game 45)
7:30 PM -- #1 Seed vs. Winner of Game 39 (Game 47)
Friday July 19
COX Pavilion
1 PM -- Game 34 Loser vs. Game 35 Loser (Game 48)
3 PM -- Game 36 Loser vs. Game 37 Loser (Game 49)
5 PM -- Game 40 Loser vs. Game 41 Loser (Game 50)
7 PM -- Game 44 Loser vs. Game 45 Loser (Game 51)
Thomas & Mack
3:30 PM -- Game 38 Loser vs. Game 39 Loser (Game 52)
5:30 PM -- Game 42 Loser vs. Game 43 Loser (Game 53)
7:30 PM -- Game 46 Loser vs. Game 47 Loser (Game 54)
Saturday July 20
Thomas & Mack
1 PM -- Game 40 Winner vs. Game 46 Winner (Game 55)
3 PM -- Game 42 Winner vs. Game 45 Winner (Game 56)
5 PM -- Game 41 Winner vs. Game 47 Winner (Game 57)
7 PM -- Game 43 Winner vs. Game 44 Winner (Game 58)
Sunday July 21
Thomas & Mack
3 PM -- Game 55 Winner vs. Game 56 Winner (Game 59)
5 PM -- Game 57 Winner vs. Game 58 Winner (Game 60)
Monday July 22
Thomas & Mack
6 PM -- Game 59 Winner vs. Game 60 Winner (Game 61)

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Everybody wants to tank next year, is the 2014 draft class that deep?

ArmchairCritic

I'm familiar with Wiggins and Parker, who else is there? Is this deeper than 03? Also how to feel about Rudy Gay and Josh Smith potentially coming to the Pistons?

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I doubt anything will be as deep as 2003. Next year will also have Randle, Smart and Harrison plus any college player who has a breakout year (Glenn Robinson/Mitch McGary). I wouldn't want either of those guys, were I still a Pistons fan. They should sign Igoudala if he is cheap enough and then a couple of bench guys.

ArmchairCritic

If you get Igoudala then I have no idea why you didn't draft Burke. Igoudala, Monroe, Drummond with Burke at PG would have been something serious with a few shooters off the bench.

ArmchairCritic

I've never really watched Brandon Knight in depth but I decided he sucked after watching Kyrie Irving cross him up and DeAndre Jordan dunk all over him.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
2014 NBA Draft: Andrew Wiggins, Julius Randle, Marcus Smart lead potentially historic class

Andrew Wiggins is considered a once-in-a-lifetime prospect ((Armando L. Sanchez/Chicago Tribune/MCT))
Print
By Eliot Shorr-Parks, NJ.com
on June 28, 2013 at 1:14 PM
While the headlines will read that the Sixers traded Jrue Holiday for Nerlens Noel last night, it could easily- and maybe more correctly- read like this.

The Sixers traded Jrue Holiday for a 2014 first round pick.

In any other year, trading a current All-Star for the hopes of drafting another next year one would be labeled as a bad decision.

Not next year.

The 2014 NBA Draft class is considered the best draft class in over 10 years. It is even being compared to the 2003 draft class that included LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, Carmelo Anthony and Chris Bosh. All turned into franchise players, something that the Sixers are hoping they will land next year- and now have two shots to do so.
So who are the players that have NBA executive tanking next season for? Here is little bit about some players that could make the losing next season worth it, via Chad Ford of ESPN.

Andrew Wiggins, Guard, Kansas: Wiggins is the consensus No. 1 prospect in our Top 100 after talking with numerous NBA scouts and executives. He is one of the most hyped prospects ever to come out of high school and draws comparisons to a young Tracy McGrady. Wiggins received the top vote from every scout and GM I spoke with.

Wiggins is an elite athlete who does just about everything well. He has great size for his position on the wing, is an explosive leaper and can score from beyond the arc and off the bounce. While there are times when he appears to be a bit disengaged, his talent -- both physically and from a skills perspective -- is off the charts.

Julius Randle, Forward, Kentucky: "In a normal, non-Wiggins year, he would easily be the No. 1 pick," said one scout. Randle is another freak of nature, an explosive athlete who stands at 6-foot-9 and weighs 250 pounds. He has the ability to score in the paint and on the perimeter, and plays with an aggressive motor.

Marcus Smart, Guard, Oklahoma State: Would've been the No. 2 pick in the 2013 draft had he declared. Smart decided he wanted another year of experience under his belt and returned to Oklahoma State. He has great size for his position, is ferocious on both ends of the floor and is a natural leader. If he improves his jump shot and tightens his handle, he'll give Wiggins and Randle a run for their money.
Other than the top three prospects, the 2014 draft also features a ton of other talent that could also become franchise players. Here is a little on each via NBADraft.net.

Jabari Parker, Forward, Duke: Ultra-skilled forward with an innate, natural ability to play basketball ... Remarkably advanced basketball IQ for a player his age ... Already possesses many of the intangible qualities that NBA teams covet ... Strong competitor that plays hard on both ends of the floor. Rarely fails to "show up" for games ... Moves around the court well with or without the ball ... Good overall shot-selection.

James Young, Shooting Guard, Kentucky: Young started the Spring as a top 10 player. Heading into the summer, he is a top 5 player. He is an athletic lefty who can score in a variety of ways. He is long and explosive around the basket and can get hot from 3 and see his point totals go up in a hurry. He play within himself and rarely takes a bad shot and plays a very unselfish brand of basketball.

Andrew Harrison, Shooting Guard, Kentucky: He is a big, physical point guard who uses his sheer strength to get in the lane and score or make plays for others at will. He is super competitive and can beat without scoring which is rare for most players. He can shoot the ball to three and he can penetrate and kick with the best of them. His biggest asset, however, is his ability to elevate the play off everyone around him. He is a leader and a floor general who will put his team on his back when necessary.

To make matters even better for the Sixers, the majority of the talent coming into next year's draft are athletic, scoring, swing men. With Noel and Carter-Williams in the fold now, the Sixers could potentially have top ten talent at the three most important positions in the NBA- point guard, center, and shooting guard.
Now they just gotta make it through next year.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
If you get Igoudala then I have no idea why you didn't draft Burke. Igoudala, Monroe, Drummond with Burke at PG would have been something serious with a few shooters off the bench.
The only things that Carter-Williams has over Burke is assists, Burke is shoot first and CW is definitely pass first. Perhaps they were thinking that they had enough scoring from those three and needed someone to get them the ball more than they needed a volume scorer.

ArmchairCritic

That 76ers pick from the New Orleans deal is Top 5 protected right?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Hopefully for the Sixers the Pelicans come in 6th.

Oh, and don't mind Kentucky getting half the top 10 recruits again, even though they didn't even make the bloody tournament. Definitely no bribes in the champagne room...none!

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Rondo would be a much better teammate as well. Westbrook is a SG in my view not a PG.
He would pass more he is not such a good teammate frosty relationship with Doc and struggled to get along with the big 3 as he established himself. The Thunder need 20-25 points from Westbrook every night to win he is the player they need.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
There are two twins also who are projected in the top 10 not sure of their names a pg and a pg/sg. So we enter the Andrew Wiggins sweepstakes I wonder where he end's up. Imagine Jordan gets him hahaha.

Eboue

The only things that Carter-Williams has over Burke is assists, Burke is shoot first and CW is definitely pass first. Perhaps they were thinking that they had enough scoring from those three and needed someone to get them the ball more than they needed a volume scorer.
Burke is not shoot first.

Eboue

To make matters even better for the Sixers, the majority of the talent coming into next year's draft are athletic, scoring, swing men. With Noel and Carter-Williams in the fold now, the Sixers could potentially have top ten talent at the three most important positions in the NBA- point guard, center, and shooting guard.
Now they just gotta make it through next year.

Carter-Williams will never be a top ten point guard.

Muffled funk

Not to be trusted
He's only 36 and has no Nba experience seems risky to let him have a crack at rebuilding the team. Any success he does have will come down to to his relationship with Rondo.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Rick Pitino failed in Boston (would have probably fared better had Boston (rightfully) received the first overall pick in 1997).

I'm not so sure about this move. Boston has hired a few coaches with collegiate backgrounds over the last decade plus with disastrous results. Technically, Jim O'Brien was an NBA assistant but he made his bones in the college level. It's a huge jump from Butler to Boston. It's akin to Chris Peterson jumping from Boise State to say the Pittsburgh Steelers.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
As much as I want Dwight out of LA, he is the only proper option we have of signing to fill to the centre position. We dont have cap room to sign anyone else. So if Dwight leaves, then we are royally fecked.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Don't worry MrMarcello, we won't have to bear them for very long. Most of them will feck off with LeBron. Even if he doesn't leave Miami, they won't win another championship for a while, Wade is on the decline and Bosh ain't all that. They got lucky in this years finals but it is the beginning of the end for them.

Is it the same as not really watching much but then watching the finals if one of the '3 hated' players is playing to want them to win? Have a few big bball mates and I just love seeing them get wound up at LBJ, Wade and Kobe.

All three are phenomenal basketballers in their own right and my mates are playing hoop at 5'10" and can't even dunk thinking they are NBA gods when they dream at night.

I just find that amusing. When the most hated people win in NBA. LBJ said it best "I don't even have to say anything, I just see the hate and try and rise above it". Brilliance.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
I'll get back to you as soon as I am able comprehend the first two paragraphs of your post. :)

On national television, "I am taking my talents to Miami". Douche.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Yeah, in summary. Mates are all shit basketball players and all hate Wade/LBJ/Kobe for petty reasons.
I think it's funny so I want them to win all the silverware in the world and actively 'support' them to do so when I can.

(By support I mean, watch and take a bit of an interest. Otherwise I don't care.)

I guess the difference is that I don't really try and shove things down other peoples throats when I talk basketball cause I don't really care. Where'as they will go out of their way to get in your face and tell you just how shit those three are (and others I cbf naming).

I was just asking if that is allowed? The casual fan supporting because it's funny to see people get wound up.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Yeah, in summary. Mates are all shit basketball players and all hate Wade/LBJ/Kobe for petty reasons.
I think it's funny so I want them to win all the silverware in the world and actively 'support' them to do so when I can.

(By support I mean, watch and take a bit of an interest. Otherwise I don't care.)

I guess the difference is that I don't really try and shove things down other peoples throats when I talk basketball cause I don't really care. Where'as they will go out of their way to get in your face and tell you just how shit those three are (and others I cbf naming).

I was just asking if that is allowed? The casual fan supporting because it's funny to see people get wound up.

Personally don't mind Kobe but can't stand LeBron and Wade. Two of the biggest diva's in the league. Two of the worst floppers. Two of the most arrogant bastards in the league. Grrrr!

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
How much did you cry this year?

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Personally don't mind Kobe but can't stand LeBron and Wade. Two of the biggest diva's in the league. Two of the worst floppers. Two of the most arrogant bastards in the league. Grrrr!
Wade and James are more arrogant than Kobe?! :lol: That's a nice one..

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Hopefully for the Sixers the Pelicans come in 6th.

Oh, and don't mind Kentucky getting half the top 10 recruits again, even though they didn't even make the bloody tournament. Definitely no bribes in the champagne room...none!
I hope the Pelicans come 5th, to give the Sixers a taste of their own medicine.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Wade and James are more arrogant than Kobe?! :lol: That's a nice one..

Kobe doesn't have tattoos declaring himself the "chosen one" nor does he call himself the "King". He is arrogant though, I didn't say otherwise.

"All the people that was rooting on me to fail, at the end of the day they have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before they woke up today. They have the same personal problems they had today. I'm going to continue to live the way I want to live and continue to do the things that I want to do.”
His insistence that he doesn't flop only to be fined hours later for, well you know... that was absolutely hilarious.

He's the best in the game, but he's a dick.