NBA Thread 2013-2014

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
@adexkola, so what do you say about Miami now? Still coasting?

10-11 record in the last 21 games.
:lol:

Maybe fatigue? Miami's defense is a shadow of what it is capable of. Little of that swarming small man defense that leads to turnovers. Your rebounding has fallen I believe. Only Lebron, Birdman and Beasley (surprise) have been great. Wade has been good when not resting/injured. Bosh needs to step up. The supporting cast have been wildly inconsistent.

The Bulls, Brooklyn, Toronto, Washington and Charlotte have been fantastic since All Star Weekend, which has contributed to the sub par record of the Heat (and Pacers). The only team I'm worried about right now are the Pacers; We've seen Miami like this before, and I'll bet my mortgage that they'll be in the conference finals at least this year.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
:lol:

Maybe fatigue? Miami's defense is a shadow of what it is capable of. Little of that swarming small man defense that leads to turnovers. Your rebounding has fallen I believe. Only Lebron, Birdman and Beasley (surprise) have been great. Wade has been good when not resting/injured. Bosh needs to step up. The supporting cast have been wildly inconsistent.

The Bulls, Brooklyn, Toronto, Washington and Charlotte have been fantastic since All Star Weekend, which has contributed to the sub par record of the Heat (and Pacers). The only team I'm worried about right now are the Pacers; We've seen Miami like this before, and I'll bet my mortgage that they'll be in the conference finals at least this year.
Agree. They did look fatigued all season long.

I have a feeling the Pacers will be back to their best after beating Miami tomorrow and clinching the number 1 seed.

adexkola

Supports
Agree. They did look fatigued all season long.

I have a feeling the Pacers will be back to their best after beating Miami tomorrow and clinching the number 1 seed.
I don't know about the Pacers beating Miami at Miami. They have been abysmal. Worse than the Heat. I don't think it's a given, and didn't Vogel say something about resting his starters for the rest of the season?

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
I don't know about the Pacers beating Miami at Miami. They have been abysmal. Worse than the Heat. I don't think it's a given, and didn't Vogel say something about resting his starters for the rest of the season?
Nah, he confirmed all starters are back for Miami, after a 5 day rest.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
So you think they'll win the East even without Wade?!

Indiana are the number 1 seed right now. They have a game against a Wade-less Heat tomorrow, with their squad fully rested. They should be the favorites to win it, which means they should finish the season as the number 1 seed, and with game 7 at Indiana I can't see Miami being the favorites. Unless Indiana's collapse continues (and they give up the number 1 seed), they have the edge imo.

By the way, remember the Lakers in 2011, when they were chasing a 3-peat and everybody was talking about them being the favorites just because "they were the defending champs", even though they didn't have a great season? What happened in the playoffs?
James is better than ever, and he's made the finals with less help in Cleveland.

I can't see the Pacers snapping out of this funk, they're too young and without the experience of toughing though a cold streak.

I'd say the Bulls look like the biggest threat to Miami at this point, in the East.

I have no idea what happened in 2011, I wasn't paying much attention.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
James is better than ever, and he's made the finals with less help in Cleveland.

I can't see the Pacers snapping out of this funk, they're too young and without the experience of toughing though a cold streak.

I'd say the Bulls look like the biggest threat to Miami at this point, in the East.

I have no idea what happened in 2011, I wasn't paying much attention.
They got swept by the Mavs in the conference semi-finals.

We'll see.

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
Sorry to harp on about Cousins again, but I finally found the numbers that blow any comparison to Howard (at least at the same age), or any other current center, out of the water. Here are Cousins' numbers compared to the great big men of the last couple of decades at the same age as Cuz now. It should put things in perspective:

Per Game Statistics at Age 23:
Cousins 32.1min 22.3pts (.496 .725) 11.6reb 2.9ast 1.5stl 1.3blk 3.5TO 3.8Fl
Duncan 38.9min 23.2pts (.490 .761) 12.4reb 3.2ast 0.9stl 2.2blk 3.3TO 2.8Fl
PEwing 35.4min 20.0pts (.474 .739) 9.0reb 2.0ast 1.1stl 2.1blk 3.4TO 3.8Fl
Mourng 33.6min 21.5pts (.505 .762) 10.2reb 1.4ast 0.5stl 3.1blk 3.3TO 3.5Fl
SO'Neal 36.0min 26.6pts (.573 .487) 11.0reb 2.9ast 0.6stl 2.1blk 2.9TO 3.6Fl
Olajuw 36.3min 23.5pts (.526 .645) 11.4reb 2.0ast 2.0stl 3.4blk 2.9TO 4.0Fl
Daugrty 35.8min 17.8pts (.528 .718) 8.6reb 3.9ast 0.7stl 0.7blk 3.1TO 2.8Fl
Howard 35.9min 17.3pts (.568 .601) 12.5reb 1.4ast 0.9stl 2.0blk 3.0TO 3.2Fl
YaoMin 30.9min 15.5pts (.511 .810) 8.6reb 1.6ast 0.3stl 1.8blk 2.3TO 3.1Fl
Robinson did not enter the league until age 24
Mutumbo did not enter the league until age 25

And to level the playing field further, here are the per 36 stats. This is where things get really scary:

Per 36 Statistics at Age 23:
Cousins 25.1pts (.496 .725) 13.1reb 3.2ast 1.7stl 1.4blk 3.9TO 4.3Fl
Duncan 21.5pts (.490 .761) 11.5reb 2.9ast 0.8stl 2.1blk 3.0TO 2.6Fl
PEwing 20.3pts (.474 .739) 9.2reb 2.1ast 1.1stl 2.1blk 3.5TO 3.9Fl
Mourng 23.0pts (.505 .762) 10.9reb 1.5ast 0.5stl 3.4blk 3.6TO 3.7Fl
SO'Neal 26.5pts (.573 .487) 11.0reb 2.9ast 0.6stl 2.1blk 2.9TO 3.6Fl
Olajuw 23.3pts (.526 .645) 11.4reb 2.0ast 2.0stl 3.4blk 2.8TO 4.0Fl
Daugrty 17.9pts (.528 .718) 8.6reb 3.9ast 0.7stl 0.7blk 3.2TO 2.8Fl
Howard 17.3pts (.568 .601) 12.6reb 1.4ast 0.9stl 2.0blk 3.0TO 3.2Fl
YaoMin 18.0pts (.511 .810) 10.0reb 1.8ast 0.4stl 2.1blk 2.7TO 3.6Fl
Robinson did not enter the league until age 24
Mutumbo did not enter the league until age 25

Here's the thing. Even though public perception about him is slowly changing for the better, he's still not getting near enough recognition for how flat out dominant he has been this year. It was a joke that he wasn't an All-Star and it'll be a joke if he doesn't make an All-NBA team. People don't realise how good he is because they just don't see the Kings play. He pretty much destroys everyone. It's not an exaggeration to say he has HOF level talent if he keeps working hard. If you laugh at that then you simply haven't seen him enough. He's a monster with an all-round game. All the technicals, hot-headedness doesn't change that he's a flat out beast. Not talking about potential, I'm talking about productivity.

Sorry to derail the discussion. Just thought it's eye-opening for those that don't see him play apart from the odd highlight.

Skills

Snitch

Second place might not actually be too bad for Miami, if things in the east stay the same. Assuming they would get past the wizards pretty easily, they've swept the Raptors in the season series. Chicago and the Nets are a tough match.

The west looks pretty set to me. Don't think there's a lot to change there.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Thunder Suns and Clippers Warriors in the first round? God I love the West.

adexkola

Supports

Second place might not actually be too bad for Miami, if things in the east stay the same. Assuming they would get past the wizards pretty easily, they've swept the Raptors in the season series. Chicago and the Nets are a tough match.

The west looks pretty set to me. Don't think there's a lot to change there.
At the bottom the Grizzlies, Mavs and Suns are all battling for the final 2 spots, it's far from set.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
At the bottom the Grizzlies, Mavs and Suns are all battling for the final 2 spots, it's far from set.
This will be a very interesting battle, because with them having pretty much similar records, they all meet each other in the final three days of the season.

April 12: Phoenix @ Dallas
April 14: Memphis @ Phoenix
April 16: Dallas @ Memphis

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Most interesting season in a long time. There is no favourite for me. The West will be a war to get out of and that may play into the hands of whoever comes out of the East.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Most interesting season in a long time. There is no favourite for me. The West will be a war to get out of and that may play into the hands of whoever comes out of the East.
I would agree with that statement if either Miami or Indiana were playing better this season, but they have both evened out to have average seasons. I would still take a battered Thunder, Spurs, or Rockets over those 2 in any series (I still don't rate CP3 in the post-season so no Clippers).

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Anyone watching Pacers Heat? It's always weird seeing LeBron take jumpshots consistently in the first quarter. Even when he sinks them, I never think it's a good idea.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Yeah saw that, would have been nuts if it had gone down though. The kind of shot Westbrook would take lol

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Minnesota going ham against Rockets baby! Next year is our year!

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Close first half!

Miami's only saving grace in the first half was Hibbert. They missed far too many shots inside. Lewis, Chalmers...

I'm worried about the Heat's (and particularly Lebron's) energy in the second half. They had far less rest before the game.

This is going to the wire..... :nervous:

P.S. Come on Detroit, Toronto, Atlanta!

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Indiana are still in the locker room...

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Good win. Indiana are still not over that blip. They weren't themselves today, and it's getting worse for Hibbert.

The game @ Atlanta tomorrow is crucial now. Miami needs that. Well done Atlanta for beating Brooklyn today.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Close first half!

Miami's only saving grace in the first half was Hibbert. They missed far too many shots inside. Lewis, Chalmers...

I'm worried about the Heat's (and particularly Lebron's) energy in the second half. They had far less rest before the game.

This is going to the wire..... :nervous:

P.S. Come on Detroit, Toronto, Atlanta!

That didn't go to the wire.

Indiana will not come out of this funk this season. They're worn out and 5 days rest won't fix it.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Exactly what I predicted :smirk:
You didn't predict anything actually (apart from Miami reaching the conference finals) :p .

I did predict Indiana to win though, and in the first half it definitely looked like they were doing well (despite Hibbert having the worst half I've seen him play ever). But in the first 6 minutes of the third quarter, they totally fell asleep, and gifted the game to Miami.

I was wrong though, I admit it, but it's easy to get it wrong in one game. However, there is nothing so far that suggests to me that the broad picture has changed. Indiana might end up blowing everything and beat themselves in the end, but it's not because of Miami's excellence. I think Miami is markedly worse than last year, and they barely won it last year.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
That didn't go to the wire.

Indiana will not come out of this funk this season. They're worn out and 5 days rest won't fix it.
Well, even after the disastrous first 6 minutes of the third quarter, Indiana still managed to cut the lead to single digit (after trailing by 20+ points) with a full quarter to play. I definitely didn't feel relaxed until inside the last two minutes (we all saw what happened in their last game).

So it didn't go to the wire I agree, but was far from a blowout imo. They just switched off for 6 minutes, and dig themselves a hole just about too big for them to claw their way back into it.

Indiana do look in trouble right now, you could be right, but I just can't imagine them being (merely) worn out after less than a season. They're not even an old squad by any stretch. Their collapse surely has left everybody (not only me) shocked wondering what the hell happened.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
That's a bold prediction, but I'm not betting against it.

Congratulations for the number 1 seed by the way. I just hoped they would delay it until OKC played Indiana so they take them a bit more seriously.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Now that Spurs have locked up number 1 seed, and Clippers can't catch up (I think), then hopefully Brooks will give KD a couple games off before the play-offs. That guy has looked kinda mentally burned out the last couple of weeks right.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Miami down 7 away @ Atlanta with one quarter to go.

Energy levels have clearly dropped and it looks like they are going to hand the first seed back to Indiana. As expected.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
So just like I expected, the Heat are going to give the first seed back to Indiana.

Easy win for Atlanta. They'll meet again in about a week, in the playoffs.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Time to look at the positives:

- Charlotte is a better matchup for Miami than Atlanta (from Miami's perspective).
- We get to avoid a potential match-up with the Nets.
- Indiana would face a potentially tough matchup against Toronto in the semis. (For that to happen, Chicago needs to hold on to that 3rd spot.)